Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I think in a vaccum Dubas is a better GM than Dorion but that doesn’t mean I want Dubas to replace Dorion. He has too much affinity for soft hockey to my liking.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
TDPU0LB.gif

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think in a vaccum Dubas is a better GM than Dorion but that doesn’t mean I want Dubas to replace Dorion. He has too much affinity for soft hockey to my liking.
I think he has come a long way and understands a balance is needed. He came in thinking the game was going to be faster and more skilled which it is....untill you get to the playoffs where the rules change.

I think Dubas going after guys like Schenn and ORielly shows his growth. Think he can do wonders here with Brady leading the charge. Also very well spoken and honest

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dubas hasn't done shit.

The Leafs D core is worse than ours (since we've added Chychrun and Sanderson), their goaltending has been a tire fire (taking Murray from us?!?! LMAO!), and their stars are way overpaid on too short of contracts (compare that to the amazing deals Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris have).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Dubas hasn't done shit.

The Leafs D core is worse than ours (since we've added Chychrun and Sanderson), their goaltending has been a tire fire (taking Murray from us?!?! LMAO!), and their stars are way overpaid on too short of contracts (compare that to the amazing deals Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris have).
we retained and gave them a 3rd to take Murray*

I think people really miss this point. They can buy him out this year or lTIR him and not bat an eye

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I think people really miss this point. They can buy him out this year or lTIR him and not bat an eye
Can’t LTIR him, he dressed for the last game, so was healthy. Was a terrible move by Dubas, but was another Soo guy, so there was some loyalty there.
Terrible at contract negotiations, this is first year I actually liked the moves he made, other years not so much.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Can’t LTIR him, he dressed for the last game, so was healthy. Was a terrible move by Dubas, but was another Soo guy, so there was some loyalty there.
Terrible at contract negotiations, this is first year I actually liked the moves he made, other years not so much.
LTIR if he gets injured again as backup*

I agree they shouldn't have added Murray cause we saw how he was here. From the outside it was probably worth the risk with Sammy coming in.

Even if they buy him out its worth the 3rd for them I think

I don't think Dubas would do his contract negotiation with Marner the way he did back then. He has come a long way.

I think he might fit better as a president tbh. I think he can handle building out hockey ops and do it well

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't want Dubas as GM, but there would be something satisfying about having more success than the Leafs under the guidance of their castaway GM...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And Giroux, the guy claimed to be far superior is 71st. Were talking about a gap where 5 more 5v5 pts over 82 games would have put Tavares in the top 50, that's within a margin where you could flip a coin and have seen it happen.

In both cases, your still looking at top line production, so hardly something where their 5v5 production hurts their market value. Tavares would certainly garner offers well over 6.5 on the open market, I have zero doubt.
I didn't make the Giroux comparison but one thing to consider with Tavares's numbers is he's mostly not playing against shut down guys. Those matchups are against Matthews. You'd expect his numbers to decrease if he had to play against shut down matchups.

I don't think he's a top line player at this stage in his career and whatever he'd get as a UFA, imo it would reflect that

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Yeah it's not exactly like taking on Zaitsev's contract when he had 5 years left @ 4.5M per.

Could buy him out without dire consequences or could likely attach a 2nd+ to him to dump him on a team like Chicago, like we did to convince them to take on Zaitsev's last year.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Perhaps you could say that in the first couple of years he was there, but he has made a lot of moves in the recent years to get away from the 'soft hockey' narrative that has plagued his team.

He added:

Schenn
Simmonds
Muzzin
Acciari
Bogosian
Bunting
Lafferty
Foligno
Lyubushkin
Clifford
Boyle

His issue was that the team's core was soft as butter and no matter who they got to surround them to play ' hard' hockey, they weren't going to change and he held on that core for too long instead of making changes with 1 of them.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
We could probably do better but the choice between Dorion and Dubas is pretty easy.

Marner and Matthews have never missed the playoffs in their careers.

Chabot, Stutzle, Brady, Batherson have played maybe one week of meaningful hockey in their careers...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There are legitimate criticisms of Dubas' work as GM, but what he did for the Leafs in goal is not one of them.

He was the guy who acquired Campbell, who put up .921 and .914 SV% seasons for them. Most fans wanted him to just re-sign Campbell. He chose to let him walk and it's looking like a great decision. Campbell couldn't stop a beach ball this season and now Edmonton is saddled with a bad long-term contract instead of Toronto.

Took the same kind of money that would have went to Campbell and a backup goalie and gave it to Samsonov, who was excellent for them in the regular season, and Murray, who got injured again but was decent when healthy.

Picked up a 3rd in the process, which at the least partially will offset what it will cost to dump Murray, should they choose to do so instead of buying him out.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't want Dubas as GM, but there would be something satisfying about having more success than the Leafs under the guidance of their castaway GM...

Pretty much this. Dorion is better.

But on the other hand, I absolutely love the narrative of Dubas coming here, to his childhood team, after all the abuse he took from Leafs fans, and potentially giving the soft Leafs fits in the playoffs in the near future.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Perhaps you could say that in the first couple of years he was there, but he has made a lot of moves in the recent years to get away from the 'soft hockey' narrative that has plagued his team.

He added:

Schenn
Simmonds
Muzzin
Acciari
Bogosian
Bunting
Lafferty
Foligno
Lyubushkin
Clifford
Boyle

His issue was that the team's core was soft as butter and no matter who they got to surround them to play ' hard' hockey, they weren't going to change and he held on that core for too long instead of making changes with 1 of them.

That's true. Could add O'Reilly, Aston-Reese and McCabe (at least compared to Sandin) to that list too.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Pretty much this. Dorion is better.

But on the other hand, I absolutely love the narrative of Dubas coming here, to his childhood team, after all the abuse he took from Leafs fans, and potentially giving the soft Leafs fits in the playoffs in the near future.

What do you think Dorion does better than Dubas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad