Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Is the length of the rebuild really relevant (it has been 5 years fwiw)?

Dorion's job was to run the team during the rebuild, focusing on development with 0 expectations of any sort of success on the ice. That's why he was extended.

Rebuild is done, per Dorion. His job is over. Find someone new for the next phase of this team's life cycle. Isn't that what every team in the NHL does more or less?

Reactions: asd1

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Is the length of the rebuild really relevant (it has been 5 years fwiw)?

Dorion's job was to run the team during the rebuild, focusing on development with 0 expectations of any sort of success on the ice. That's why he was extended.

Rebuild is done, per Dorion. His job is over. Find someone new for the next phase of this team's life cycle. Isn't that what every team in the NHL does more or less?
It turns out that some people can do more than one job, perhaps he can too.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
How can a rebuild be over before your best draft picks have even played for you? LOL. Isn't the whole point of a rebuild the prospects that come from drafting high?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope they'd want an assessment more recent than September 2021. But what do I know about spending a billion dollars on a sports franchise?
If only there was one! I could not find any other assessment. And this is just one network reporter's opinions; not a fully informed, detailed assessment against specific criteria.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Apparently Dorion has averaged 11 trades a year since he became GM. I wonder how the other teams rank?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We actually have a date for the rebuild beginning, Dorion stated the decision to rebuild was made when he met with Melnyk in Feb 2018, so 5 years and 2-3 months.
FWIW. You could also use the date the star, franchise player was moved I suppose which in our case would have been Karlsson in September 2018. It tends to be user definable.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD1 and Micklebot

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wow seriously Sensnation, we have troubling counting to 5, 6 and 7.

Are we really at the stage where facts don’t matter and we can pretend we are stupid so we don’t have to understand how the calendar works?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wow seriously Sensnation, we have troubling counting to 5, 6 and 7.

Are we really at the stage where facts don’t matter and we can pretend we are stupid so we don’t have to understand how the calendar works?
What did poster say, you didn’t quote, and couldn’t find any posts by poster.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
We missed the playoffs. We are headed into year 7 of this rebuild.

Or do you want to declare success as we sit and watch the first round of the playoffs without being in it?

This is year 7. Who will we re-sign? Who will we add? Who will we let walk? Who will we trade for or trade away? Dorion has already started his year 7. Why? Because instead of being a successful general manager he is watching the playoffs and making decisions about the Ottawa Senators who are not a playoff team. Talbot won't be back if you want an example of a year 7 move.
If memory serves, in 2017 we went to the ECF and lost to Pens in 2OT of game 7. We were not rebuilding approximately 6 years ago this month. 6 years ago next month in fact. Your Math is wrong.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If only there was one! I could not find any other assessment. And this is just one network reporter's opinions; not a fully informed, detailed assessment against specific criteria.
It’s likely that they perform their own assessment…. ;)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Ya I’m pretty sure they are not looking at some scribes interpretation from NBC Sports.
Let’s hope not at least.

You're right. They're going to be looking at this:

2023 playoffs? No
2022 playoffs? No
2021 playoffs? No
2020 playoffs? No
2019 playoffs? No
2018 playoffs? No

What is the one constant? Pierre Dorion as general manager.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
blows my mind that there are some people who still like and want to keep Dorion.

1 of 32 positions in the world and they are fine with Dorion in it lol. these people basically like losing, which is so crazy considering the point of sports is to win.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You're right. They're going to be looking at this:

2023 playoffs? No
2022 playoffs? No
2021 playoffs? No
2020 playoffs? No
2019 playoffs? No
2018 playoffs? No

What is the one constant? Pierre Dorion as general manager.
Thanks , nothing to do with what you quoted though.

Unless you want a print scribe as POHO choosing your GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad