Post-Game Talk: GM 7 | Habs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Hoglander)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
and what changes will be made to turn this club around for this season that a change can be made now?

How many clubs are going to let an executive interview right now for a job opening?
The best timing for marketing a new GM (Benning to get axed) is right around Aquilini’s season ticket push. That’s this off season. I’d like it to happen sooner, so the new guy could arrange for the coming draft, and plan to build out the roster for the next season.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
He looks like he's thinking about the rest of the season

54748.gif
Why are we still here just to suffer?

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Man this isn’t even getting better next year we have basically 7.7 million in dead contracts coming off the books but both Peterson and Hughes need new contracts.

Elder comes off next year with is 6 million so that 13.7 is basically all going to Petey and Hughes.

Pearson replaced with Podz saves another 2.7 but is a ??

I just don’t see a way this gets better for 2 years as then you rid yourselves of Roussel/Beagle/Loui/Lou/Hotlby which is about 20 million.

I mean you hope Seattle takes Myers but man no elder no Myers leaves us with just Hughes/Schmidt and a bunch of question marks.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The Orca
Benning extended.
Losing Toffoli, Tanev, and Markstrom for zero return.

Those are the three things from the last couple of years that just really really piss me off. The fans wanted none of the three, yet here we are.

(No, having the Orca on the jersey is not the end of the world, but it’s the constant reminder that the fans are not heard.)
The fans outside of this board loved Benning. Drafting Pettersson and Hughes=GOAT gm. Fluke into the covid cup and get shelled worse than a ww2 trench veteran=GOAT gm.

Understanding cap problems and asset bleed is apparently impossible for casual fans no matter how horrific.

I was fine with those guys all walking because our cap situation is completely screwed for the next couple years, which is the time you can expect those guys to still be good before falling off for the rest of their contract.

For that reason I would find it hilarious that these guys walking is what finally does Jim instead of the many indefensable screwups of years past.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Sure, dumping Loui on whomever wanted Demko would have been great too. Benning missed the chance though. That my point. The chance was there, and Benning decided the “shocking reboot” was a better way to go.

Oh, I agree. Which is why I've been so openly critical. We had three players who all wanted to be here, and we even willing to take less. Even worse, our two cornerstone players requested they try and keep them (specifically, Toffoli and Tanev). Not only does Benning ignore all of this, he somehow thinks we're a better team despite... doing absolutely nothing. It's baffling how incompetent he is. Sadly, we're now taken a massive step back. We can't just go and find a Tanev or Toffoli replacement. Frankly, finishing dead last would be the one thing that could salvage our future. At least then we could hopefully draft someone to fill those holes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Green never peels the paint after bad losses. I think some players need that.

His comments after the 7-3 loss were the closest I’ve seen him come to calling out his team.

Anyhow, because I’m a die hard optimist - what I liked about this game is Hoglander. Didn’t get nearly enough ice time, but his effort level and skill are stupendous. I think we have a really promising young player, there.

Reactions: sting101

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
The best timing for marketing a new GM (Benning to get axed) is right around Aquilini’s season ticket push. That’s this off season. I’d like it to happen sooner, so the new guy could arrange for the coming draft, and plan to build out the roster for the next season.
If we go on our little Canadian tour and lose almost every game...FA is going to act.

We are this close to becoming the pun of every Canadian joke. The laffing stock, the red headed step child...We're on pace to finish below Ottawa & Edmonton

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Not Sportsnet radio yet but TSN radio apparently:

"If you have Quinn Hughes & Elias Pettersson in the final year of their entry level contracts, and this is the roster that you ice... that is managerial malpractice."- JD Burke
It’s actually brilliant rather than malpractice. They will come $10m combined cheaper during their prime years. Allows the addition of 2 or 3 complementary UFAs....

Enter Beagle, Roussel, and Schaller...

Nevermind

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I took my car flag down. This is just so damned frustrating. I’ve cheered for this team for 53 years, listening on the radio when they were in the old Western Hockey League. There’s been so little sustained success. Yes, three trips to the SCF, but in the subsequent years all that came were more struggles.

The Canucks have never been perennial contenders. There have been outstanding players, but always pieces missing. Even the amazing 2010-11 team couldn’t sustain excellence.

I don’t see a way out this nightmare of bad contracts without more pain. The D is so laughably bad, the bottom six forwards so incapable of scoring. This team is going to give up a major offensive piece for defensive help, only to have to hope the draft replenishes the cupboard at forward. And around we go.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I took my car flag down. This is just so damned frustrating. I’ve cheered for this team for 53 years, listening on the radio when they were in the old Western Hockey League. There’s been so little sustained success. Yes, three trips to the SCF, but in the subsequent years all that came were more struggles.

The Canucks have never been perennial contenders. There have been outstanding players, but always pieces missing. Even the amazing 2010-11 team couldn’t sustain excellence.

I don’t see a way out this nightmare of bad contracts without more pain. The D is so laughably bad, the bottom six forwards so incapable of scoring. This team is going to give up a major offensive piece for defensive help, only to have to hope the draft replenishes the cupboard at forward. And around we go.
Don't lose faith my son...

"And This Too Shall Pass" 2 Corinthians 4: 17-18

Reactions: Index

Nov 1, 2011
Yeah Markstrom was legit the backbone of this team. Everyone knew this though...well, not everyone I guess.

I think everyone knew it, the only question was, Can you afford to give an aging goalie with reoccurring injuries a long term contract.

That's a question that won't be answered in the first 10 games of this season.

Of course we did exactly that with Ferland but hopefully we're moving up the learning curve.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I think we’ll take 2 of three from the sens.

Every other time I’m less optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad