Post-Game Talk: GM 7 | Habs def. Canucks - 5-2 (Pettersson, Hoglander)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As much as I did euphorically enjoy the playoffs last year, I am not exactly heartbroken about losing games that we more or less deserve to lose when last year we were pulling them out of a magic hat to create a mirage that saved multiple incompetent people their jobs. Rip the bandaid off.

I will watch the Sens series and cheer for wins but losing all three and starting 2-8 might be what’s needed to finally get ownership to wake up to their shortcomings and the shortcomings of those below them.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
make no mistake folks. These next three games against the Senators are fundamentally crucial with regards to the Canucks next 10 year outlook.

We simply have to go, at most, 1-2. Preferably 0-3 but I think we'll fall bass ackwards into at least one dub over the Sens. But 1-2 means a 3-7 start.

That's worst in the league potential. That's Jim Benning fired potential.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I have a feeling if we lose on Monday to Ottawa then Aquaman drops the hammer I feel. This can’t continue for him..#FireBenning is trending on Twitter and all the quotes are being pointed to him.
This is why I will.not accept any talk of firing Green.

The focus has to be entirely on the actual problem not some bit of meat to keep us happy.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
make no mistake folks. These next three games against the Senators are fundamentally crucial with regards to the Canucks next 10 year outlook.

We simply have to go, at most, 1-2. Preferably 0-3 but I think we'll fall bass ackwards into at least one dub over the Sens. But 1-2 means a 3-7 start.

That's worst in the league potential. That's Jim Benning fired potential.

3 games against the Sens, at home, anything short of 5-of-6 points is a huge disappointment.

If they don't take 2-of-3, heads are going to roll.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
We are all Braden Holtby

upload_2021-1-23_21-59-45.png

Need a montage with Uncle Loui and other bottom-6 scrubs.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
As bad as those contracts were I think 2018 was worse. Roussel + Beagle to 4 year foundational contracts and Schaller who made more on that contract than the rest of his NHL career combined.

November 1st 2013 is the day that will live in infamy.

That's the day FA informed MG come hell or high water that this franchise will compete and any thought of a rebuild will not be tolerated.

As the summer of 2013 was the crossroads for this franchise moving forward, so was 2019.

The 2018 offseason was just another example of why Benning and the peeps surrounding him are completely incompetent. There was nothing stopping FA from cleaning house except his PR department feeding him positive feedback and that nothing was really wrong....the fan base was happy and THAT'S ALL FA CARES ABOUT.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
November 1st 2013 is the day that will live in infamy.

That's the day FA informed MG come hell or high water that this franchise will compete and any thought of a rebuild will not be tolerated.

As the summer of 2013 was the crossroads for this franchise moving forward, so was 2019.

The 2018 offseason was just another example of why Benning and the peeps surrounding him are completely incompetent. There was nothing stopping FA from cleaning house except his PR department feeding him positive feedback and that nothing was really wrong....the fan base was happy and THAT'S ALL FA CARES ABOUT.

The change will come when the casuals and media turn on Benning as what happened with Gillis. It’s early but these games have been so bad that the casuals are not happy. Hopefully the discontent will snow ball like it did with Gillis.

The apparent criticism of Benning on national TV will help.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Isn’t Demko coming 26? Smart GM trades Demko as sweetener last off season to dump Sutter. Uses money saved to sign Marky, and Tanev. Our GM decided a “shocking reboot” was smarter.

I disagree, actually. For pieces like Demko and Virtanen, I think it has to be Eriksson going the other way. Sutter sucks but dealing with his contract for one more year isn't too big an issue. Getting out of Eriksson and his two year albatross is far more important. What really sucks is I played around in cap friendly earlier today. Even if we held 1.5M of Eriksson's salary, we'd still have enough to keep Toffoli and Tanev at their current contracts if we packaged Virtanen off as the sweetener. There's no excuse we didn't shed that contract other than blind politics. Benning couldn't swallow his pride and admit both his big signing and top six pick aren't worth a damn.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ugh. Just dreadful for so much of the game. Lots of effort at times but the execution was terrible. One turn-over after another and so many were guilty. Give Montreal some credit cause they played well and probably should have got a sweep. They went into the off season as decent team and were able to add. The Canucks should have been in the same place but b/c of the dimwit Benning, we instead had to give up some of our top end players

Good

Hoglander - had the one brilliant shift and showed very good bursts of speed throughout. Has talent and determination. I hope playing with this bunch doesn't discourage him or that Benning doesn't move him to bandage over some of the major faults in this team

Bad

Edler - looked slow and gave very poor support to his defensive partner. Pushed the play into trouble throughout.

Myers - lurching around and treated the puck like it was radioactive. Displayed a very low panic point and rushing everything. Out of sync with who ever he played with.

Hughes - ditto the rest of the defense - too individualistic and trying to do too much. Bumped around in his zone and struggled to fend off people around his net. Size, or lack of it, is beginning to become a factor.

Joulevi - happy if he could make it through a shift without a a major gaffe - not gapping properly, poor passing led directly to 2 on 1s. Got caught up ice a few times with the one time leading to a self goal. Passing, supposedly a strength, was poor most of the game. Wasn't much worst than some of the other defensemen but that's only telling you how bad the defense was. I did think he is making a better attempt to assert himself - but the problem is that he doesn't have the game to really do this. He is not, right now, an NHL defenseman.

Pettersson - scored but other wise another poor game. Got easily shoved off the puck and knocked about. Sloppy and slow movement of the puck led to direct chances against. Thought he gave up on several plays.

Horvat - worst game in awhile. Like others turning over the puck at the blue lines. Decent start but his game tailed off the longer it went. Not good in his own end.

Holtby - asking a lot to have him bail out this team but the team needed more big saves than he was able to come up with'

Others

Sutter - for the first half of the game led a third line that had zip. As bad as Sutter can be at times, he simply a better player than Gaudette ( rightly benched). Line began to break down late but overall wasn't bad.

Virtanen - as went Sutter so went Virtanen Fairly good in the early going and good job on the back check. But as game went on Virtanen disappeared and again became a non factor. See very little offensive push out of this player. I'd say quite a bit less than last year.

MacEwen - more physical and went to the body well in the first. Did created some chances but overall play remained helter skelter. Loses his defensive coverage when he gets running around but running around is the main element of his game. Must play with a good defensive center.

Benn - was one of better d-men. Kept it simple and eliminated man around the net effectively. One problem with Benn, however, is lack of mobility causes him to make long passes to get puck up to the forwards. Did ok in that in this game but creates the kind of gaps other teams can exploit.

Don't think this team is as poor as Montreal made them look. Still this team is nothing like a contender for anything. May well finish last in the Canadian division. The central culprit in this is clearly Benning. In his management, in his speech and in his constant mistakes he illustrates clearly he is (and you want to be politically correct here) below even average intelligence. How in the world do you put him in charge of major sport franchise. The team obviously has no chance of doing anything while he has any part in decisions. Yet the hockey establishment, as reflected in the comments we hear from people like Hockey Night in Canada, support Benning and seem peeved if fans of the team express any sort of dissatisfaction with Benning. Moreover, we have fans here that ignore the obvious and get miffed if Benning is any way criticized. We are living in an upside world - fat is beautiful, debt is great and Benning is a good GM.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Isn't he the one who asked for Roussel and beagle?

i can see that text thread now

TG: hey i need some help for the bottom six.

JB: we have some cap, who do you like?

TG: jay beagle would be a dream. if not, antoine roussel could work.

week later

JB: who’s your best friend?

TG: ... [clicks on sportsnet.com]

TG: ...

TG: [spits drink] let me get this straight, you spent how much? for how long?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The change will come when the casuals and media turn on Benning as what happened with Gillis. It’s early but these games have been so bad that the casuals are not happy. Hopefully the discontent will snow ball like it did with Gillis.

I’m hopeful Benning is gonzo soon too. But I see Aquilini as a business man, who will put selling season tickets ahead of rebuilding the club. We are clearly in for a terrible season, so Aquilini will want to create excitement about the team’s future right around the season ticket push this coming off season. Imo, that is exactly when Aquilini cleans house, and we get (finally) past this horrid Benning era. Yes, the change should be made now, but Aquilini will want that season ticket sale excitement.

Reactions: David71

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
The Orca
Benning extended.
Losing Toffoli, Tanev, and Markstrom for zero return.

Those are the three things from the last couple of years that just really really piss me off. The fans wanted none of the three, yet here we are.

(No, having the Orca on the jersey is not the end of the world, but it’s the constant reminder that the fans are not heard.)

Reactions: Foundational Player

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m hopeful Benning is gonzo soon too. But I see Aquilini as a business man, who will put selling season tickets ahead of rebuilding the club. We are clearly in for a terrible season, so Aquilini will want to create excitement about the team’s future right around the season ticket push this coming off season. Imo, that is exactly when Aquilini cleans house, and we get (finally) past this horrid Benning era. Yes, the change should be made now, but Aquilini will want that season ticket sale excitement.
and what changes will be made to turn this club around for this season that a change can be made now?

How many clubs are going to let an executive interview right now for a job opening?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Yep.

It sucks but losing Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, Leivo & Tofu was absolutely imperative to expose this management team....and FA needed a good slap upside the head to reassess things.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I disagree, actually. For pieces like Demko and Virtanen, I think it has to be Eriksson going the other way. Sutter sucks but dealing with his contract for one more year isn't too big an issue. Getting out of Eriksson and his two year albatross is far more important. What really sucks is I played around in cap friendly earlier today. Even if we held 1.5M of Eriksson's salary, we'd still have enough to keep Toffoli and Tanev at their current contracts if we packaged Virtanen off as the sweetener. There's no excuse we didn't shed that contract other than blind politics. Benning couldn't swallow his pride and admit both his big signing and top six pick aren't worth a damn.
Sure, dumping Loui on whomever wanted Demko would have been great too. Benning missed the chance though. That my point. The chance was there, and Benning decided the “shocking reboot” was a better way to go.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I agree and the signal to revenues being in potential trouble is the casual fan base looking for blood, so I think the things go hand in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad