• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Really? I’m seeing one very poor guy on each pairing. Myers, Chatfield, and Hamonic aren’t good players.
Poor Hughes, he deserves to play with someone of Tanev's ability and heart and soul and sacrifice and character.

I would go Scmidt-Hughes for 30 minutes then Edler-Stech . . I mean Hamonic for 19 minutes and Petey-Myers for 11 minutes. Then Petey double shifts for 14 minutes at centre.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've been watching lots of Canucks games and I love this Gaudette kid. But, it looks like coaching staff will keep him 3C and play him 10 mins or less per game yet again. What gives? He has so much upside, do you guys see any possible way he can get good minutes? I'm guessing only chance is if he plays wing which... isn't likely. Looks to me like Gaudette is kind of trapped, lol. What is the consensus on Gaudette here?

The team refuses to accept that this player - a shoot first guy who can't play defense - isn't cut out to be an NHL center and keeps trying to hammer a round peg in a square hole rather than converting him to wing and using his talent on one of our top two scoring lines. Instead he's playing 8 minutes/game as the #4 center and showing glimpses of skill while getting destroyed defensively.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
The team refuses to accept that this player - a shoot first guy who can't play defense - isn't cut out to be an NHL center and keeps trying to hammer a round peg in a square hole rather than converting him to wing and using his talent on one of our top two scoring lines. Instead he's playing 8 minutes/game as the #4 center and showing glimpses of skill while getting destroyed defensively.
I have to agree. This kid looks like a winger if I've ever seen one. He's too small and not defensively responsible enough to be a top 6 center, but damn does he have the speed, shooting and skill to be a solid top 6 winger. I was hoping, with JT Miller out, that they'd give him a shot on the wing in the top 6. They went with the "tried and tried again" Virtanen instead.

Here's hoping they give him another shot again.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Everything points at this being a loss for the team. We're bottom five powerplay and penalty kill facing a team that is much better in both columns.

But so many times in the past when it looks like the slide is going to continue, the Canucks surprise us and will probably win with multiple goals scored on the powerplay.

I'm reminded of I think it was 2015 when the team started out rocky and faced the Habs at home who came in riding a 9 game win streak, and we dominated them. 5-1.

(I was at that game and the rink was at least 50% Habs jerseys and the way the wind was sucked out of all of them early and often, was a beautiful thing.)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have to agree. This kid looks like a winger if I've ever seen one. He's too small and not defensively responsible enough to be a top 6 center, but damn does he have the speed, shooting and skill to be a solid top 6 winger. I was hoping, with JT Miller out, that they'd give him a shot on the wing in the top 6. They went with the "tried and tried again" Virtanen instead.

Here's hoping they give him another shot again.

The most frustrating thing is that there's no end game here.

If we were weak down the middle long-term, sure, try developing him there. But our top-2 centers in Pettersson and Horvat are locked in for the next half-decade at least, and he is simply never going to have the defensive chops to play a bottom-6 center role in the NHL. So we're putting him in a situation where he's guaranteed to fail (unless one of those other guys suffers a long-term injury) and we'll probably end up giving up in a year or two and selling at pennies on the dollar when we could have developed him on wing where he's sorely needed.

Reactions: JohnLennon

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
With the friendly Habs Members visiting here I posted this on their Board. Keeping in mind our mutual dislike of the Bruins & how their fan base supported us in 2011.

The 1st -3rd Panels represent the Canadiens & us. The 4th Panel represents the Bruins
6C77CD7B-2DF3-4FB5-9960-1BC9B7FDAF5C.png

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Yes, the last few games have been pretty
6627d212d9f235f3365c0c8da6767c72.gif

Missing easy tap ins & other near misses could have changed the momentum of the games
DismalBlueAmericancicada-small.gif

tenor.gif

Just no touch or feel for the game by some
tumblr_o82t4hXLDH1s02vreo1_400.gif

Being physically dominated at times
rp4mu4US7AZt10ERRgM98dMpNv-jglK7Uzfimk2CLhTh6wFPhf1ZUNDCQbuD-IQFpAfV8uBpu4fySO80KGdDbN6o7eZjNfq7geZwwxulGkER66TtCf0

But again, it's early. Still time to develop
tenor.gif
best-teacher-ever

We've been getting good goaltending

tenor.gif

So with some adequate Defence
EFVm.gif

and some lucky bounces
c521ceeb77dd1a51ca4c1eda9fd36608.gif

I think we can turn this around.

Go:nucksGo​
This is your best work

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Everything points at this being a loss for the team. We're bottom five powerplay and penalty kill facing a team that is much better in both columns.

But so many times in the past when it looks like the slide is going to continue, the Canucks surprise us and will probably win with multiple goals scored on the powerplay.

I'm reminded of I think it was 2015 when the team started out rocky and faced the Habs at home who came in riding a 9 game win streak, and we dominated them. 5-1.

(I was at that game and the rink was at least 50% Habs jerseys and the way the wind was sucked out of all of them early and often, was a beautiful thing.)
Was that the game Burrows collided with someone near the blue line?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

If those are the new D pairings, really like how they look.

Who needs a matchup pairing

The most frustrating thing is that there's no end game here.

If we were weak down the middle long-term, sure, try developing him there. But our top-2 centers in Pettersson and Horvat are locked in for the next half-decade at least, and he is simply never going to have the defensive chops to play a bottom-6 center role in the NHL. So we're putting him in a situation where he's guaranteed to fail (unless one of those other guys suffers a long-term injury) and we'll probably end up giving up in a year or two and selling at pennies on the dollar when we could have developed him on wing where he's sorely needed.

Jimbo's inability to put together a shut down line (well a team in general) also plays apart of this.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah he got a 3 game suspension for a hit on Alexei Emelin.
Thx, yeah, I remember that game. I don't think Burr even got a penalty, just the suspension afterwards. I thought at the time it was unintentional but Burr has a bit of a rep. Maybe I am remembering wrong

Reactions: Ginger Papa

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Thx, yeah, I remember that game. I don't think Burr even got a penalty, just the suspension afterwards. I thought at the time it was unintentional but Burr has a bit of a rep. Maybe I am remembering wrong

I remember thinking it was a reputation suspension. The hit at the time seemed like a pretty standard hit.

Hooz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the best shutdown line in the league on Pettersson and the Suzuki/Kotkaniemi lines feasting on secondary matchups. Seems like an awful matchup for us on paper. The lotto line needs to have a breakthrough or we’re in trouble.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If Gaudette's name was Gaudolbin, he would have been put on the wing two years ago and probably be out of the league by now.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know if I could ever really hate Habs fans - you guys were pretty much the only other fanbase actually rooting for us in 2011.

Same here, I am a Habs fan and was 100% on the Canucks bandwagon in 94 and 2011. Plus, like us, you guys sometimes riot a wee bit after a playoff loss.

Obviously will be cheering for the Habs tonight (or tomorrow morning on this coast) but always had soft spot for the Canucks since the days of king Richard Brodeur and Tiger williams, on to Maclean, Linden, Courtnall, Luongo- sedins even Burrows. A guy who can get under the bruins skin is okay in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad