Confirmed with Link: Giroux, Bunnaman, Rubtsov, 2024 5th traded to Florida for 2024 1st, 2023 3rd, Owen Tippett

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Having the GM bitch to the media that someone as important to the history of the franchise as Giroux used his NMC is one hell of a shitty look. They are utterly inept at every aspect of running a franchise. You control the framing of that info and that’s what you chose. Fourth rate horseshit from a fourth rate org.

Fletcher still crowbars Niskanen into every press conference. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Having the GM bitch to the media that someone as important to the history of the franchise as Giroux used his NMC is one hell of a shitty look. They are utterly inept at every aspect of running a franchise. You control the framing of that info and that’s what you chose. Fourth rate horseshit from a fourth rate org.

Didn't sound like bitching to me, just stating the obvious, G earned the right to have and exercise his NMC, but that limited the return to the Flyers.
That's no different than a contract that prices a player out of a good return.
A GM has to deal with it, but the trade has to be judged in that context.

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Didn't sound like bitching to me, just stating the obvious, G earned the right to have and exercise his NMC, but that limited the return to the Flyers.

None of that matters in how you approach it from a PR perspective.

Every statement is an opportunity to make yourself look better. He had two basic choices. One was this, which intimates that the return is underwhelming but it’s not his fault. He “doesn’t begrudge him anything.” The other was to use this high-profile chance to talk about how important it was to take care of someone so important to the franchise. It’s a layup they absolutely bricked. It fits the pattern of unpolished losing in every small margin possible.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
None of that matters in how you approach it from a PR perspective.

Every statement is an opportunity to make yourself look better. He had two basic choices. One was this, which intimates that the return is underwhelming but it’s not his fault. He “doesn’t begrudge him anything.” The other was to use this high-profile chance to talk about how important it was to take care of someone so important to the franchise. It’s a layup they absolutely bricked. It fits the pattern of unpolished losing in every small margin possible.

Fletcher has said nice things repeatedly about G the last few days.

I think this is more a reaction to hypercritical Flyer fans who had ridiculous expectations, I'd be pretty sick of the stupidity by now if I were in his shoes.
They got a 1st, a "B" prospect and a third rd pick, similar to what anyone reasonable predicted weeks ago, and actually better than what you'd expect given the NMC (look at the Stone and Hall deals.

But "Idiot Wind" has become the American theme song the last decade. So why should Flyer fans be different.

• Wow
Reactions: Legion of Gloom

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
His NMC didn’t limit it more than any other move clause.
What limited it were the leaks saying he only wanted to go to Florida.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Fletcher has said nice things repeatedly about G the last few days.

I think this is more a reaction to hypercritical Flyer fans who had ridiculous expectations, I'd be pretty sick of the stupidity by now if I were in his shoes.
They got a 1st, a "B" prospect and a third rd pick, similar to what anyone reasonable predicted weeks ago, and actually better than what you'd expect given the NMC (look at the Stone and Hall deals.

But "Idiot Wind" has become the American theme song the last decade. So why should Flyer fans be different.

Let’s say you’re right. If I’m an owner and my GM uses this as an opportunity to fire back at the fanbase in the middle of an unmitigated disaster of a season in which they asked me to write big checks to contend immediately, I know (not think) I’ve got the wrong guy. You’re not changing a single person’s mind. That’s the job. Do it or get out.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Let’s say you’re right. If I’m an owner and my GM uses this as an opportunity to fire back at the fanbase in the middle of an unmitigated disaster of a season in which they asked me to write big checks to contend immediately, I know (not think) I’ve got the wrong guy. You’re not changing a single person’s mind. That’s the job. Do it or get out.

What did he say about the fanbase? Cant bring myself to watch him speak.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
What did he say about the fanbase? Cant bring myself to watch him speak.

Nothing. I was responding to someone else’s framing of his reasoning for taking the approach he did. Call it an educated guess that you’re missing some context. :laugh:

The gist of it is that he told everyone directly that Giroux limited his own return. I cannot fathom why you would admit that and decide on that framing.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nothing. I was responding to someone else’s framing of his reasoning for taking the approach he did. Call it an educated guess that you’re missing some context. :laugh:

The gist of it is that he told everyone directly that Giroux limited his own return. I cannot fathom why you would admit that and decide on that framing.

Gotcha - yeah Chuck is a real piece of shit

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as leaks, if the Oval office can't stop leaks, how can a GM keep the player, his family, his agent, his friends, other front offices, from talking?
I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together, once it's leaked that so and so is prepared to make a big offer, and then silence, duh!
And teams aren't going to negotiate for two days to find out the player had nixed them and they missed out on other trade opportunities without going ballistic.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Desperate managers always look to shift blame. He got the message that the return was considered underwhelming to a majority if the fanbase and looked for the easiest person to blame -- literally the only person in the world who could've had an impact on the return itself - Giroux.

It's a cowardly swipe at a franchise legend. And more to your point, one more sign of a completely dysfunctional management team that isn't focused on leading and winning, but in looking good. For anyone in the management world, this is a clear-cut sign of someone managing to a metrics instead of managing people themselves. It's utterly pathetic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Desperate managers always look to shift blame. He got the message that the return was considered underwhelming to a majority if the fanbase and looked for the easiest person to blame -- literally the only person in the world who could've had an impact on the return itself - Giroux.

It's a cowardly swipe at a franchise legend. And more to your point, one more sign of a completely dysfunctional management team that isn't focused on leading and winning, but in looking good. For anyone in the management world, this is a clear-cut sign of someone managing to a metrics instead of managing people themselves. It's utterly pathetic.
Right, because it was a secret that only Elliott Friedman and his readers knew.

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Well f***ing said

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

This goes for every sport, but I think fans believe hockey knowledge is a much bigger part of an NHL GM or Head Coach’s job than it actually is and downplay logistical aspects. A GM’s job is to guide the org through clear instructions and help synthesize information.

The Coach’s job is to motivate and develop the team via the players. Even something as mundane as meeting schedules is a vital skill. So many of these good Assistant/terrible HC guys are failing in exactly these regards.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
As far as leaks, if the Oval office can't stop leaks, how can a GM keep the player, his family, his agent, his friends, other front offices, from talking?
I mean you don't have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together, once it's leaked that so and so is prepared to make a big offer, and then silence, duh!
And teams aren't going to negotiate for two days to find out the player had nixed them and they missed out on other trade opportunities without going ballistic.
Now explain the lack of leaks under hextall

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Now explain the lack of leaks under hextall
What was there to leak under Hextall? Other than trade the obvious veterans his first year, the Schenn trade was his only major deal, and there was nothing to hide there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah GM's can never control leaks:

Clarke said, “That was just as bad. … I sat at the table three seats away from him when he traded Schenn.” Clarke noted the scouts were livid and “Didn’t have a clue.”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah GM's can never control leaks:

Clarke said, “That was just as bad. … I sat at the table three seats away from him when he traded Schenn.” Clarke noted the scouts were livid and “Didn’t have a clue.”

Did Schenn have a NMC? Hextall didn't have to talk to anyone but another GM, and he didn't shop Schenn.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Tippet looked toolsy today. Could very much be a solid b prospect but I've been saying from the beginning the first is a secondary asset in a giroux deal and I think he's not in that category. I hope I'm proven wrong and I'm trying to stay open to that possibility.
I know it's really asking Jackie o how the rest of the trip to Texas went but I'm upset that our own former first round pick in rubstov and a still promising depth guy in bunny were thrown in the deal.
We didn't have center depth to begin with and moving bodies out the door has us in a truly abysmal situation. While I'm confident moves that have to be made to bring guys in will be made I have no faith they'll be any good.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tippet looked toolsy today. Could very much be a solid b prospect but I've been saying from the beginning the first is a secondary asset in a giroux deal and I think he's not in that category. I hope I'm proven wrong and I'm trying to stay open to that possibility.
I know it's really asking Jackie o how the rest of the trip to Texas went but I'm upset that our own former first round pick in rubstov and a still promising depth guy in bunny were thrown in the deal.
We didn't have center depth to begin with and moving bodies out the door has us in a truly abysmal situation. While I'm confident moves that have to be made to bring guys in will be made I have no faith they'll be any good.

Bunnaman had three shots to win the 4C job, he's decently defensively but has zero offensive skills, I mean less than MacEwen, if that's possible.
Rubtsov has done nothing at the AHL level, he's a body at this point.
It was a contract dump, Fletcher will clear a couple more tomorrow, allowing him to sign Brink, Attard and N Cates after the playoffs, and maybe a college FA or two.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

They are the Football Team of hockey. The blame machine is being fired up to grind into a player again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Hextall and other GMs manage it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad