TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Gio hit free agency he'd probably get like at least 6x8 lol. I'm guessing it's going to be 5x8.

Pinder brought up a good point yesterday (btw, Pinder is an incredible host). Look at every teams cap situation, there's a handful of teams in the league right now that could pay Gio what he wants if he did hit FA and the Flames are one of those teams. The reason this situation is fascinating is because Gio today is worth 9 million, but at some point he's going to regress and no one knows when that point is. Because the Flames have so many good, young core pieces, it's unlikely that they're interested in paying him something like 8 million over 8 years. If they did want to pay him that, he would have already signed his extension.

Right now Gio is our best player, AINEC. And he's just entered his prime at a later age but historically the evidence suggests regression is going to happen over the next 2-5 years. Treliving must look at the economic landscape in the NHL, account for what Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Brodie and Hamilton will all be making. Make sure to have enough left to fill out your roster, then whatever is leftover you now have the perimeters of what kind of an offer you can make to Gio both short and long term.

I'm optimistic something gets done, but I do feel like it's going to be better value than most are guessing. I say this because I think Gio loves it here and loves being a Flame and more than anything he wants to win here because he's the captain.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
As long as he's willing to take a five year deal I think were good, after that and were opening ourselves up for a potential problem. Honestly 5 x 8m is good value all around, although I wonder if he might value something like a full no movement clause a bit more then most given the situation (captain, well liked etc) and take a bit less.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
trade them all. the only way to win is with multiple first overall picks

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Pinder brought up a good point yesterday (btw, Pinder is an incredible host). Look at every teams cap situation, there's a handful of teams in the league right now that could pay Gio what he wants if he did hit FA and the Flames are one of those teams. The reason this situation is fascinating is because Gio today is worth 9 million, but at some point he's going to regress and no one knows when that point is. Because the Flames have so many good, young core pieces, it's unlikely that they're interested in paying him something like 8 million over 8 years. If they did want to pay him that, he would have already signed his extension.

Right now Gio is our best player, AINEC. And he's just entered his prime at a later age but historically the evidence suggests regression is going to happen over the next 2-5 years. Treliving must look at the economic landscape in the NHL, account for what Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Brodie and Hamilton will all be making. Make sure to have enough left to fill out your roster, then whatever is leftover you now have the perimeters of what kind of an offer you can make to Gio both short and long term.

I'm optimistic something gets done, but I do feel like it's going to be better value than most are guessing. I say this because I think Gio loves it here and loves being a Flame and more than anything he wants to win here because he's the captain.

I agree with you about Pinder (I believe I said it a time or two on this board). He's IMO the most-knowledgable talk-show host.

I hate to say it, as I don't like to see anyone lose their job, but Pat Steinberg IMO is the weakest link with Kerr a close second. I'm having more and more of a difficult time listening to them - Kerr's weirdness and throat-gargling; Pat's insecurities that come through frequently. Also, Pat's hosting of the call-in show after games isn't good. On the flip-side, having called through once to Pinder, he's amazing at that as well.

Regarding the Gio contract, all of those factors you listed are indeed the reason why this is dragging on some. It's too bad that the captain won't likely get every penny he's worth, but it's the reality of running a business and having lots of contracts to take care of down the road. I guess this is why the Hamilton trade/signing was a bit mysterious when it happened (though still a great pickup for the value).

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I've been tooting Pinder's horn since he was PBP for Abbotsford, I really wanted him to get the Flames radio PBP gig.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've been tooting Pinder's horn since he was PBP for Abbotsford, I really wanted him to get the Flames radio PBP gig.

Would love to see Boomer get "promoted" and go to Vancouver, TO or really make the big times and go to Edmonton. Pinder is so much more knowledgable and analytical/rational than Boomer, but in a good way.

Fifty cal

Jun 15, 2012
Calgary
Maybe they keep Gio unsigned till the deadline 2016. If he performs well, a team going for a cup would be able to take on his final years salary at the deadline and willing to pay a premium for him as a rental. He would likely be the most sought after target in the NHL that deadline.
If he performs averagely, we may be able to swing a better deal for the Flames long term.
Either way, as an organization we cant be doing favors. By that we can all agree that Term HAS to make sense..
6.5milAAV for 5 years is the max I would on a 5 year deal worth 32,500,000
7 mil AAV for 4 years = 28,000,000
7.775 mil AAV for 3 years = 23,325,000
9 mil AAV for 2 years = 18,000,000

Pay him what he wants for his last 2 prime years. Avoid getting into territory with his contract where getting other teams to take his contract will be harder.
I hope he is willing to take less and be guaranteed to play longer with the team that made him Captain. Please Gio, don't handcuff the Flames with a big pay day. Look at Claude Giroux, John Tavares... These guys are lower paid players that also wear the "C".

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
As long as he's willing to take a five year deal I think were good, after that and were opening ourselves up for a potential problem. Honestly 5 x 8m is good value all around, although I wonder if he might value something like a full no movement clause a bit more then most given the situation (captain, well liked etc) and take a bit less.

It's a given that Gio ail get a full NMC in his next contract.

I doubt it will be a negotiating position, it will simply be expected.

Deleted member 250185

Would the Flames have room to overpay him on a short two year contract? I'm thinking $10+ million. It's a way to get him his big dollars without handcuffing the team down the line. I know he wouldn't want term that short but that's what the overpayment is for. Maybe it would work best after Johnny and Mony are extended?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Would the Flames have room to overpay him on a short two year contract? I'm thinking $10+ million. It's a way to get him his big dollars without handcuffing the team down the line. I know he wouldn't want term that short but that's what the overpayment is for. Maybe it would work best after Johnny and Mony are extended?

I gotta figure that the very last thing Gio wants to do is sign a 2 year deal and become a UFA again at the age of 35.

Any think that is likely in the best interests of the Flames is likely the opposite of Gio.

Assuming his goal is a lifetime contract with security, unless his desire to remain with the Flames trumps all else, it's hard to imagine a contract which gives him that which doesn't give the Flames quite a bit of risk down the road.

Remember, the goal of most players is to make big money in their declining years. When they reach UFA, it's the one time where they can perhaps cash in and get paid for years where they will be declining.

Paying him more now and less later is great for the Flames, but offers Gio zero security after those 2 years if he should get injured or simply declines.

It sucks but that's the reality of the situation.

The question we are unsure of is how much Gio is wiling to bend to remain a Flame. I expect it's a certain amount, but is it enough?

Time will tell.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Really, if Gio were to sign a deal with a 5.75 cap hit that pays him that until he's 40, I personally believe that is a huge win for everyone.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Really, if Gio were to sign a deal with a 5.75 cap hit that pays him that until he's 40, I personally believe that is a huge win for everyone.

It wouldn't make sense. Sure he is the captain of the team, but this is just a dream. Gio will squeeze out as much as possible like the Flames will do to him. That is what negotiations are for.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Huge risk for the Flames. But one they may have to take if they don't want to trade him.

I do like the cap hit.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It wouldn't make sense. Sure he is the captain of the team, but this is just a dream. Gio will squeeze out as much as possible like the Flames will do to him. That is what negotiations are for.

Hard to say for certain, if that's the only way he gets a deal that goes for the duration of his playing days, he might consider it.

If he's a 3.5 million dollar dman production wise when he's 36, then he's overpaid for 4 more years so there's absolutely incentive and security for him in such a deal. But at least that number is manageable for the Flames.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Hard to say for certain, if that's the only way he gets a deal that goes for the duration of his playing days, he might consider it.

If he's a 3.5 million dollar dman production wise when he's 36, then he's overpaid for 4 more years so there's absolutely incentive and security for him in such a deal. But at least that number is manageable for the Flames.

The thing is, it's not him doing the negotiations. It's his agent. Gio was pretty much set to have two Norris trophy wins if hadn't been injured. Maybe not beating Erik Karlsson.

He is going to get paid. He has been at a bargain cap hit for the past few seasons of 4.02. If he settles for a raise of 1.75 that wouldn't be good negotiating. There is a reason he started at 9 Million. If Gio makes less than 6 million, that would actually be a joke. I would praise Treliving for life.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Given Treliving's comments about setting up an internal salary structure, I don't think he can go that low with Giordano's contract, which will probably be used as the effective upper limit for the team. I think one less year in the mid-sixes might work, though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The thing is, it's not him doing the negotiations. It's his agent. Gio was pretty much set to have two Norris trophy wins if hadn't been injured. Maybe not beating Erik Karlsson.

He is going to get paid. He has been at a bargain cap hit for the past few seasons of 4.02. If he settles for a raise of 1.75 that wouldn't be good negotiating. There is a reason he started at 9 Million. If Gio makes less than 6 million, that would actually be a joke. I would praise Treliving for life.

Treliving strikes me as a shrewd negotiator, I just can't see him signing Gio to a deal that could potentially have negative implications on keeping our core together. And TBH, I hope that he wouldn't sign Gio to such a deal and would rather see him traded in such an instance.

IMO, Gio should be offered BIG money over a short term (3 years) or long term security at a cap hit that's manageable for the Flames. If Gio wants both and won't budge, I really hope we trade him because it could hurt our chances at multiple Cup runs.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Treliving strikes me as a shrewd negotiator, I just can't see him signing Gio to a deal that could potentially have negative implications on keeping our core together. And TBH, I hope that he wouldn't sign Gio to such a deal and would rather see him traded in such an instance.

IMO, Gio should be offered BIG money over a short term (3 years) or long term security at a cap hit that's manageable for the Flames. If Gio wants both and won't budge, I really hope we trade him because it could hurt our chances at multiple Cup runs.

Yeah. He got some sweet deals on Engelland and Raymond. :sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah. He got some sweet deals on Engelland and Raymond. :sarcasm:

Haha those stick out and not in a good way, but they were both FA signings and market value for a team that was expected to be a lotto team. Look at what the Oilers paid for Nikitan and Pouliot. In Treliving's defence, he identified 2 guys he wanted (like em or not) and he signed them.

All the extensions he's done and FA signings this year have been very good and probably below market value.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014

I agree with this, but I just can't see Gio going for the short term, huge dollar deal. Like you said, I'm anticipating that job security is one of his highest demands. I would not be afraid to sign Gio to a long term(6-8 yrs), front loaded deal with a cap hit of 7-7.5. It's not like he's a one dimensional player who will nose dive and become useless at 36. He's a fitness freak and his leadership skills are second to none, so I personally am not fearing when he regresses a bit. He might fall back to 40 pt pace eventually and that's where Hamilton and Brodie will need to step up. :handclap: But having him on the back end with a C on his sweater will be an consistent asset for a long time, even after his prime production.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Even fitness freaks lose a step or two with age, see Iggy. The thing that scares me about a long term deal with Gio, is that he really doesn't excel in any specific area of the game. What makes him so special is that he's incredibly well rounded, seemingly without holes in his game. Gio's all about balance, where as a guy like Iggy was a prolific scorer(still one the best one timers in the game) and power forward. When his legs and physical play started to fade he could still rely on sniping goals. I'd argue that because Gio's so balanced, losing a couple steps could have serious implications to his overall game and make him look extremely mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad