TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Even fitness freaks lose a step or two with age, see Iggy. The thing that scares me about a long term deal with Gio, is that he really doesn't excel in any specific area of the game. What makes him so special is that he's incredibly well rounded, seemingly without holes in his game. Gio's all about balance, where as a guy like Iggy was a prolific scorer(still one the best one timers in the game) and power forward. When his legs and physical play started to fade he could still rely on sniping goals. I'd argue that because Gio's so balanced, losing a couple steps could have serious implications to his overall game and make him look extremely mediocre.

And this is exactly what makes me worry less about a possible regression. Once a pure goal scorer regresses and loses the dominant scoring prowess, it's hard for that player to play a different role. With Gio being so well rounded, I think it allows him to be almost as useful even if he cant score to the rate he has been scoring at. That's why I think a 38 year old Gio could be worth every penny his AAV is worth playing a few less minutes.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
And this is exactly what makes me worry less about a possible regression. Once a pure goal scorer regresses and loses the dominant scoring prowess, it's hard for that player to play a different role. With Gio being so well rounded, I think it allows him to be almost as useful even if he cant score to the rate he has been scoring at. That's why I think a 38 year old Gio could be worth every penny his AAV is worth playing a few less minutes.

I don't disagree with this at all, and I would say that there is even a 60% chance that he's still is a top 15 defender at the age of 38. It's why I want him to be resigned along with his leadership qualities. But it is absolutely a risk and it is why I hope that the Flames can pay him big money now for what he is worth today and over a shorter term.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I don't disagree with this at all, and I would say that there is even a 60% chance that he's still is a top 15 defender at the age of 38. It's why I want him to be resigned along with his leadership qualities. But it is absolutely a risk and it is why I hope that the Flames can pay him big money now for what he is worth today and over a shorter term.

Lidstrom played a dominate game into his 40s, its not like it cannot be done

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I wonder if the Kesler contract helps or harms our ability to pay him a reasonable amount. If Kesler can get a seven year contract at roughly the same age, does that mean Gio would, too? I'd prefer closer to a 5 year X 7.5 mill cap hit, but that seems like an underpayment now with Kesler's new contract.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Absolutely, but we are talking about the exception and not the rule. That said, I to believe Gio looks poised to play well later into his career.

I'm not sure why you say that.

He's a very late bloomer, and has bad some injury concerns.

Seems like the opposite to me.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not sure why you say that.

He's a very late bloomer, and has bad some injury concerns.

Seems like the opposite to me.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

As a late bloomer, he doesn't have as much mileage as other guys his age. Guys who, for instance, were top pairing guys already at age 22, and would have put in 9 seasons of facing top competition with big minutes already. Giordano has had, what, three seasons on the top pairing? And those were really his best, hardest played seasons.

In addition, the injury concerns don't seem to be the sort that make you think he's any more likely to be injured next season than the next guy. Last two seasons he got hurt blocking a shot (could happen to anyone who blocks shots- ie our whole team) and when someone can-openered him on a slapshot. If those sorts of things happen, they happen, but it's not like a guy who has recurring knee injuries or a bad back or multiple concussions.

Just playing DA, though. I don't know if there's any way to tell how long his prime will last.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
As a late bloomer, he doesn't have as much mileage as other guys his age. Guys who, for instance, were top pairing guys already at age 22, and would have put in 9 seasons of facing top competition with big minutes already. Giordano has had, what, three seasons on the top pairing? And those were really his best, hardest played seasons.

In addition, the injury concerns don't seem to be the sort that make you think he's any more likely to be injured next season than the next guy. Last two seasons he got hurt blocking a shot (could happen to anyone who blocks shots- ie our whole team) and when someone can-openered him on a slapshot. If those sorts of things happen, they happen, but it's not like a guy who has recurring knee injuries or a bad back or multiple concussions.

Just playing DA, though. I don't know if there's any way to tell how long his prime will last.

Thanks, all good points.

For some reason I get the feeling that he won't age well.

Late bloomers often have a short shelf life.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks, all good points.

For some reason I get the feeling that he won't age well.

Late bloomers often have a short shelf life.

Mostly agree with AS's points. To add, he looks after himself, he's a fantastic skater, and while he plays physical now, I feel he could adjust his style to more of a finesse game and rely on solid positioning and good stick work.

If you read my post though, I said I feel he's poised to, he doesn't have a ton of mileage but I fully acknowledge that it's entirely possible and a huge risk on the Flames part. A shorter term deal would absolutely be preferable for that reason. History shows regression is likely to come sooner, not later, but Gio could be an exception.

Monahan For Mayor*

If Gio doesn't get signed this summer and once again gets hurt and misses substantial time... Do you still give him the big money/term contract ? I know his injures have been some what freak. However if it happens again would really male me worry.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
On the one hand, Giordano's a late bloomer with a lot less miles compared to say, Chara or Regehr at the same age.

On the other, the high octane style he plays doesn't seem sustainable for a very long period of time. Like Iginla, eventually he's going to have to start picking his spots. So the question is then, is his hockey IQ good enough to allow him to transition into a more Suter/Timonen type as he gets older and can't sustain his physical style? I think so.

In three or four years, the defense could look like

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-XXX

And like Chicago, the top pairing take the offensive match ups while the second pair acts as the shutdown pairing.

In that light, ~7.5M per for 5 years doesn't seem like an issue.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I've always loved the way Gio played, was choked when he got low balled and had to go to Russia for some respect. Saw him be underrated and overlooked for years. Now everyone's noticing him and he's got a young, exciting team to back it up. I think the best coarse of action would be to see how it goes this year before offering him a deal.
Teams will be targeting him this year, he's not flying under the radar anymore. If he can repeat his performance, then talks get serious. Either pay him $$/term or he's leaving. Wait and see how the entire team does, a lot guys had an amazing year, if it continues, then you have to consider a big money, long term contract. If we don't make the playoffs, then you look to the future and consider moving him. The goal is building a long term cup contender, not winning it right now.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
On the one hand, Giordano's a late bloomer with a lot less miles compared to say, Chara or Regehr at the same age.

On the other, the high octane style he plays doesn't seem sustainable for a very long period of time. Like Iginla, eventually he's going to have to start picking his spots. So the question is then, is his hockey IQ good enough to allow him to transition into a more Suter/Timonen type as he gets older and can't sustain his physical style? I think so.

In three or four years, the defense could look like

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-XXX

And like Chicago, the top pairing take the offensive match ups while the second pair acts as the shutdown pairing.

In that light, ~7.5M per for 5 years doesn't seem like an issue.
Actually, development wise, I'd say Chara is the most comparable player out there. Neither hit their strides till about 27. We all know how Chara worked out. The question in my mind is, goes Gio have superior skill to do the same, obviously missing the physical gifts that Chara has. I mean the guy took about half as many strides as everyone else and didn't suffer much physical contact.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
What do you guys think of a contract like this? Gives Gio term and big money up-front, but allows us to have a manageable cap-hit moving forward.

10, 8, 8, 6, 5, 4, 4 = 45 million over 7 years.

6.43 AAV

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What do you guys think of a contract like this? Gives Gio term and big money up-front, but allows us to have a manageable cap-hit moving forward.

10, 8, 8, 6, 5, 4, 4 = 45 million over 7 years.

6.43 AAV

If he'd take it, I'd say "thanks, Gio!" and give him a big smooch.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If he gets injured again this year, I'd actually look at dealing him at the deadline, and look into re-signing Wideman and Russell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad