TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My main thing with dealing Gio is that I think it would really hurt our dressing room. I get that you can't pay a guy 7-9 million for leadership, but it would really impact that room I would think.

Honestly if he gets hurt again it would potentially lower his contract significantly. Gio's value will never be higher than it is now, I'm totally fine to wait on signing him.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
My main thing with dealing Gio is that I think it would really hurt our dressing room. I get that you can't pay a guy 7-9 million for leadership, but it would really impact that room I would think.

Honestly if he gets hurt again it would potentially lower his contract significantly. Gio's value will never be higher than it is now, I'm totally fine to wait on signing him.

Right, but if he doesn't get injured, and the TD passes, we have very little (if any) leverage.

I'm pretty nervous about this contract. He's definitely the heart in the locker-room!

May 27, 2012
Earth

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
9.0M
9.0M
8.0M
7.0M
4.5M

Five years, 7.5M per.

Or

9.0M
9.0M
8.0M
7.0M
6.0M
4.5M

Six years, 7.25M per.

In both cases, full NMC for the first four years, limited NTC for the rest. If he's broken down the by final year, LTIR a la Pronger/Savard/Horton. If he's declined but still wants to play, a trade shouldn't be too hard to work out given the limited NTC and salary to cap ratio. But, with only 514 NHL games played to date (versus 732 for Chara at the same age), the concern over Giordano declining suddenly and rapidly in the next two to four years is exaggerated.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
9.0M
9.0M
8.0M
7.0M
4.5M

Five years, 7.5M per.

Or

9.0M
9.0M
8.0M
7.0M
6.0M
4.5M

Six years, 7.25M per.

In both cases, full NMC for the first four years, limited NTC for the rest. If he's broken down the by final year, LTIR a la Pronger/Savard/Horton. If he's declined but still wants to play, a trade shouldn't be too hard to work out given the limited NTC and salary to cap ratio. But, with only 514 NHL games played to date (versus 732 for Chara at the same age), the concern over Giordano declining suddenly and rapidly in the next two to four years is exaggerated.

I'd be fine with either of those deals and I have a feeling Gio's camp wouldn't be completely opposed, and that's sorta what I expect to see. I just do not understand all of the regression worry. I know it's desirable for the cap situation to work out perfectly and have zero cap burden, but that's never going to happen. With a few tweaks, this team can be a contender in the next few years for a decent stretch of time. Gio is the most important player on this team and we'll need him during that stretch if we want to win, whether he puts up 40 or 60 pts. And taking the risk of paying him until he is 38-40 is completely necessary. I really hope we can in fact retain the top 4 of Gio Brodie Hamilton Russell for a long time. Once Wideman's contract comes off the books, I feel that top 4 is solid heading into a stretch where we can contend, in combination with some of our defensive prospects taking a step.

Again, with Gio's playing style, he keeps the game very simple. Works hard in the D zone, not overly physical but battles hard. Makes a good breakout pass. Good skater but doesn't have to rely on that completely. Not a completely powerful shot but shoots for screens very effectively. I would predict Gio sorta playing like a Beauchemin type when he enters his late 30s and Id be fine with that. Although Beauchemin is only 35 now I think.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I'd be fine with either of those deals and I have a feeling Gio's camp wouldn't be completely opposed, and that's sorta what I expect to see. I just do not understand all of the regression worry. I know it's desirable for the cap situation to work out perfectly and have zero cap burden, but that's never going to happen. With a few tweaks, this team can be a contender in the next few years for a decent stretch of time. Gio is the most important player on this team and we'll need him during that stretch if we want to win, whether he puts up 40 or 60 pts. And taking the risk of paying him until he is 38-40 is completely necessary. I really hope we can in fact retain the top 4 of Gio Brodie Hamilton Russell for a long time. Once Wideman's contract comes off the books, I feel that top 4 is solid heading into a stretch where we can contend, in combination with some of our defensive prospects taking a step.

Again, with Gio's playing style, he keeps the game very simple. Works hard in the D zone, not overly physical but battles hard. Makes a good breakout pass. Good skater but doesn't have to rely on that completely. Not a completely powerful shot but shoots for screens very effectively. I would predict Gio sorta playing like a Beauchemin type when he enters his late 30s and Id be fine with that. Although Beauchemin is only 35 now I think.

OK, so he says he wants 6-years, $7.5M, with full NMC, NTC for the entire 6 years.

Do you sign him or trade him?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
That would be a really solid deal! I can't see many fans being upset with paying a Norris caliber defender that kinda money/term. Hope it gets done!

The Flames have little intention of paying him that much.

You are paying him too much for his non-prime years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well, at least Treliving is at the helm and has instilled well earned trust from our fan base!

I think he'll get a solid contract for both sides done.

I think it will be a deal that both sides can live with. If the plan was to open our cheque book to him, he would have been signed already. It's so crucial that we get a deal that has some sort of flexibility to it. I don't expect Gio to sign a Brodie type of deal obviously, but I think that there should be some give in either the term or money so we can remain competitive. Gio signing a mammoth deal that hurts our chances at a Cup because we need to deal away a piece of our core does not help anyone.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I think it will be a deal that both sides can live with. If the plan was to open our cheque book to him, he would have been signed already. It's so crucial that we get a deal that has some sort of flexibility to it. I don't expect Gio to sign a Brodie type of deal obviously, but I think that there should be some give in either the term or money so we can remain competitive. Gio signing a mammoth deal that hurts our chances at a Cup because we need to deal away a piece of our core does not help anyone.

I agree. I however would be shocked if his AAV is greater than 8 or even 7.5 due to the front load. But I would rather sign almost any deal rather than trade the player.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
But I would rather sign almost any deal rather than trade the player.

Words that have cost many a GM their job.

Cap space is huge in the NHl, and taking this attitude even with players like Gio is unwise.

He'll be 33 when his new contract kicks in, and giving him whatever he wants will be good for a few years, but will likely handcuff the team greatly going forward.

Gio needs to be paid appropriately for him skill level and likely regression over the course of the agreement. he does not need to be given the keys to the Saddledome.

Aug 3, 2010
4 years at 8m per would be fine with me at this point. It'll handcuff the team for maybe one or two seasons in cap but more has been paid for lesser players, and it only takes Giordano to 37, which will likely be the end of his his late-blooming prime.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
4 years at 8m per would be fine with me at this point. It'll handcuff the team for maybe one or two seasons in cap but more has been paid for lesser players, and it only takes Giordano to 37, which will likely be the end of his his late-blooming prime.

I agree, but I doubt Gio has any interest in signing a 4-year deal, because he has the leverage to get more years.

It will really depend on whether Gio is willing to accept less years because he wants to stay with Calgary.

Because unlike a team like Anaheim (who's window for winning is likely 2-3 years, so will plug their nose and give Kesler 6 years), Calgary's window is quite a bit longer, and Calgary shouldn't sacrifice the future over a few years.

ryan519*

What would you guys offer Gio if he only wanted to sign for like 3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad