TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I really doubt that Calgary will give Gio 6 years at $45M, when the contract covers his 33-38 age years.

Nor should they.

It's how it's structured that matters more than the final total. Had he completed the year healthy he would've been a Norris candidate and even a Hart finalist. This makes him worth every penny for the next two-to-three years at top dollar and then with tapering off values.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We need to trade him. He is too old and we need to think about the post-GIO era. We will get a hefty return and it won't wreck the team as was shown this year when we got to the 2nd round. Time for the "Young Guns" to take over, only this time with 150% more Gun.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
It's how it's structured that matters more than the final total. Had he completed the year healthy he would've been a Norris candidate and even a Hart finalist. This makes him worth every penny for the next two-to-three years at top dollar and then with tapering off values.

It really doesn't matter how it's structured, his cap hit will still be $7.5M in his later, older years.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We need to trade him. He is too old and we need to think about the post-GIO era. We will get a hefty return and it won't wreck the team as was shown this year when we got to the 2nd round. Time for the "Young Guns" to take over, only this time with 150% more Gun.

I would much rather keep our captain. Let's not pull an Oiler.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't wanna trade Gio, but if he's insistent on a deal over 5 years, unless he's taking a major discount I'd absolutely look at it. Our window to win is much longer than 3 years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
5 years isn't too long at all. This thread is a bit ridiculous. The Flames are better with Gio than anyone they can get in a trade.

If it's 5 years @ 6 million, it's a fantastic deal. If it's 5 years @ 8.5 million, I think it's a real problem, potentially.

People wanted Wideman traded for a 7th because of his deal and lack of production. I saw people turn on Iggy because of his. If Gio signs for over 8 million, the expectations go way up. He's expected to be healthy and record over 40 points every single year. Not sure that's fair to him or the fans.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Yeah that's what they refer to when you hear "AAV" mentioned - Annual Average Value

All good buddy, that's what these for forums are for

Yeah, I've been following hockey since the early eighties and the Flames have always been my team. But I've always watched it more passively I guess when it comes to some of these stats. I guess in the last 15 years or so all of these aspects of the game ("cap hit" etc) have become more common knowledge.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If it's 5 years @ 6 million, it's a fantastic deal. If it's 5 years @ 8.5 million, I think it's a real problem, potentially.

People wanted Wideman traded for a 7th because of his deal and lack of production. I saw people turn on Iggy because of his. If Gio signs for over 8 million, the expectations go way up. He's expected to be healthy and record over 40 points every single year. Not sure that's fair to him or the fans.

I want more than 40 points out of him for that kinda contract. He better be nominated for the Norris on a regular basis for 8 million freakin dollars.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want more than 40 points out of him for that kinda contract. He better be nominated for the Norris on a regular basis for 8 million freakin dollars.

That's just it. Jbo made 6.68 per season here, people were so critical of him because he didn't score any points. Everyone loves Gio now, but picture this, he's getting 8 - 8.5 per and how are people going to react if he has a couple injuries in back to back years and doesn't break 35 points. We will be a cap strapped team, loaded with young talent, who's going to get the axe? Now picture if we can't trade him because of his contract amount and length, so instead we are forced to trade a Brodie or Hamilton. It's impossible to know, he may be a Lidstrom and play amazing until 40, or he may not.

Like I've stated before, if he wants big $$$ give him a 3 year deal. If he wants term, sign him to 5 years at 6 million. If neither are acceptable, I'd look at moving him now for a premium. But if I were Treliving, I'd do everything in my power to keep him under those terms.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
^This

I think there's a very realistic chance that Gio isn't a Flame after this year. It's his last shot at a long term, big money payday. Even if he signs a 3 year huge money contract to stay in Calgary, he may still lose out on a sizeable amount of cash, if he signed a 6 year deal somewhere else. From a Flames stand point, anything over 4 years and they'll likely end up paying an old man far too much, potentially costing us the opportunity to lock in some younger talent. When you subtract the fan emotion and look at it as a purely business situation, both side coming to an agreement that they like, seems highly unlikely. I don't blame Gio wanting to cash in before age sets in, one bit but the organization has to keep their eyes on the future. I truly believe that a 5-6 deal for Gio would end up being detrimental to the future of the Flames.

Last edited:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I disagree completely. Defensemen age so much better than forwards. Many of the best guys were top pairing d-men well into age 35+. Gio's main concern is injury, but when he's healthy he's up there with the best of them.

I'm obviously way more optimistic, but I think Gio is just only now hitting his peak. I think he'll be worth any contract in the 7-8 million dollar range for the next 5 years.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
I'm obviously way more optimistic, but I think Gio is just only now hitting his peak. I think he'll be worth any contract in the 7-8 million dollar range for the next 5 years.

I agree. And because he's also our captain (a great one), and one of the biggest reasons on today's situation, I wouldn't let him go that easily. We need him, although he might be a bit too old when the Flames reach their max potential.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It pretty much comes down to a choice. Sign a 33 year old Gio or lose one of Gaudreau/Monahan/Bennett. Judging by the contracts that Saad, Hamilton and I don't even want to think about Tarasenko got, we better have about $10 million in free cap space at the end of the year. Bennett will be the following year, teams will offer sheet these guys. At the very least I don't see Gio being signed until Gaudreau and Mony are extended. We have Brodie, Hamilton and even Wideman signed two more years. For the first time, in a long time we have some stud defensive prospects that could even be pushing for a spot in a couple years. Everyone on this board talked s*** about management hanging onto Iggy too long and the same thing will happen with Gio, except this time there is a future to cost.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
For all you people saying that Giordano will bolt for more money and better term and a better team - fat chance. Calgary's the only city he's ever known in the NHL, he's their #1 defenseman, and he loves it here. He's not going to squander his captaincy and his huge fanbase here to go play second fiddle on some American team. Of course he's asking high - that's how you negotiate. It seems silly to me that anyone can see a future for Giordano that doesn't involve manning the blueline with anyone other than Brodie or Hamilton.

He's our captain and best player, and deserves to be paid as such, but he's played here for 10 years and might be willing to sacrifice a little term for a bit more money now. If we give him a 3-5 year deal, I have absolutely no problem with giving him 8 million. It's when we get above that when I get a little more weary.

The Flames have a really bright future - probably one of the best, if not the best in the league. I can't think of another team other than Tampa Bay that has a better assembly of young talent and depth. Staying here, Gio has the ability to play with guys like T.J. Brodie, Dougie Hamilton, Kris Russell, Kenney Morrison, Tyler Wotherspoon, and Brett Kulak as they get better and better, and all of those guys have elite potential. Where else does he have that chance?

Gio's going to be a Flame for a while. Believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad