OT: General Video Game Discussion VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
So what's the deal with this "New Era" NHL 15 thing that people are pissed about now?

Another "huge announcement" from EA that ended up being crap? :laugh:

It was a Patrick Roy card for Ultimate team. hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Mass Effect 2 is pretty neat.

[spoil]Wish I could have gotten more of my ME1 team members back. Ashley outright disowned me, Wrex is a clan leader, Kaiden died back on Virmire, and Liara is caught in a web of deceit and lies that she says is going to take years to get out of.

Liara especially not being recruitable is annoying because she was my love interest in ME1!

At least I got Tali and Garrus back tho. Garrus is awesome. Had him and Liara as my squadmates for the final battle of ME1 and I plan on bringing Garrus along for whatever the final battle for ME2 is.

Also I found a sniper rifle I can use to take down friggin tanks with in like 3 shots. I think I'm in love! Never felt the need to buy a gun flowers before in any game.

Also time dilation when sniping = GOAT. HEADSHOTS FOR EVERYONE![/spoil]

Mass Effect 2 is my favorite Xbox 360/PS3 generation game. Have beaten it four times I think. So fun. I try a different route each time. Mordin and Thane are badasses. I always seem to use them and Garrus a lot. Might wanna consider the DLC as well because you can get more missions and two new squad members. A few months ago I did a FemShep Renegade playthrough of the series and it was awesome.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Mass Effect 2 is my favorite Xbox 360/PS3 generation game. Have beaten it four times I think. So fun. I try a different route each time. Mordin and Thane are badasses. I always seem to use them and Garrus a lot. Might wanna consider the DLC as well because you can get more missions and two new squad members. A few months ago I did a FemShep Renegade playthrough of the series and it was awesome.

Powered through the rest of ME2 last night and snagged Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC before I went to bed. Just played through it. Oh boy...

[spoil]So basically me and Liara are now like the ultimate power couple. I'm the most badass woman in the galaxy (playing as femshep. She looks a million times better and her voice actress is a trillion times better than maleshep. All it took was 30 seconds of maleshep dialog on youtube to make me decide to play as femshep), and my girlfriend is now the most influential woman in the galaxy, what with her assuming the role of the Shadow Broker. Holy ****.

I lost Mordin and Jack on the suicide mission. Mordin I really feel bad about...I loved that guy! Smart as a tack, loved life, wouldn't hurt a fly unless it was about to hurt someone else, badass in combat, and he talks like Captain Kirk on a 50 oz starbucks spiked with speed.

Final squad vs the HumaReaperHybridComboMegaTerminator was Garrus and Grunt. Garrus is now the 2nd biggest badass in the galaxy now by virtue of having been on my teams both for Ilos/Citadel to end ME1 and now this one. Great voice acting, great backstory, really good offensive powers.

I didn't even make full use of my powers in ME2. Did not realize just how friggin powerful tactical cloak is until Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Just starting up on Mass Effect 3...opening was full of feels man, and I just know it's all downhill from there. Still, to keep my spirits up, I just have to make a joke...

I'm not sure if the Reapers are Canucks haters and annihilating Vancouver because they finally won the Cup, or if they're all closet Canucks fans and finally decided to begin the invasion because the Canucks lost another game 7 heartbreaker the night before and they're just following in grand Vancouver tradition.

*cough*

Anyhoo, I love how this is starting so far. I get to keep my levels from ME2! And so does Liara! And I get Ashley back and she's badass! We're all badasses! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

Somehow I think I'm going to greatly regret not blowing up the Collector station and letting Cerberus have it.

I honestly would like to know why there is no association between Shepard and Cerberus at this point. Shepard was with Cerberus because they were literally the only group in the galaxy who gave a **** about the impending reaper threat, xenophobic terrorists or not. Plus I've still got the Normandy-2. So I am so confused to start this game.[/spoil]

Suffice it to say I'm having fun playing this series, and the line to kick my ass for not starting it the day I got the trilogy starts over there --->

Also if someone wants to let me know what the "mandatory" DLC is for a proper Mass Effect 3 experience, please let me know what it is, but not why.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Get "Citadel" for sure for Mass Effect 3. No doubt on that one. I really enjoyed Omega and it serves a nice purpose. Leviathan was good, not great. Nice for explaining certain aspects in more detail. If you are really enjoying it, I would get all three. For sure Citadel though.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Get "Citadel" for sure for Mass Effect 3. No doubt on that one. I really enjoyed Omega and it serves a nice purpose. Leviathan was good, not great. Nice for explaining certain aspects in more detail. If you are really enjoying it, I would get all three. For sure Citadel though.

Good god, that's $40 worth of DLC.

Do the three add a whole game's worth of content in total?

Also what's the one with the real ending in it? I get a few pieces of DLC free cause it's the trilogy version. Wonder if I have it already.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Good god, that's $40 worth of DLC.

Do the three add a whole game's worth of content in total?

Also what's the one with the real ending in it? I get a few pieces of DLC free cause it's the trilogy version. Wonder if I have it already.

They have sales sometimes. Half off here and there. Citadel is worth $15. Think it's like 5 hours long. Omega is 3 or 4 hours. Same with Leviathan. Maybe wait for a sale if money is an issue.

I think the "real" ending DLC was free because of how many fanboy nerds were upset about the original ending. So yeah you probably have that.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Powered through the rest of ME2 last night and snagged Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC before I went to bed. Just played through it. Oh boy...

[spoil]So basically me and Liara are now like the ultimate power couple. I'm the most badass woman in the galaxy (playing as femshep. She looks a million times better and her voice actress is a trillion times better than maleshep. All it took was 30 seconds of maleshep dialog on youtube to make me decide to play as femshep), and my girlfriend is now the most influential woman in the galaxy, what with her assuming the role of the Shadow Broker. Holy ****.

I lost Mordin and Jack on the suicide mission. Mordin I really feel bad about...I loved that guy! Smart as a tack, loved life, wouldn't hurt a fly unless it was about to hurt someone else, badass in combat, and he talks like Captain Kirk on a 50 oz starbucks spiked with speed.

Final squad vs the HumaReaperHybridComboMegaTerminator was Garrus and Grunt. Garrus is now the 2nd biggest badass in the galaxy now by virtue of having been on my teams both for Ilos/Citadel to end ME1 and now this one. Great voice acting, great backstory, really good offensive powers.

I didn't even make full use of my powers in ME2. Did not realize just how friggin powerful tactical cloak is until Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Just starting up on Mass Effect 3...opening was full of feels man, and I just know it's all downhill from there. Still, to keep my spirits up, I just have to make a joke...

I'm not sure if the Reapers are Canucks haters and annihilating Vancouver because they finally won the Cup, or if they're all closet Canucks fans and finally decided to begin the invasion because the Canucks lost another game 7 heartbreaker the night before and they're just following in grand Vancouver tradition.

*cough*

Anyhoo, I love how this is starting so far. I get to keep my levels from ME2! And so does Liara! And I get Ashley back and she's badass! We're all badasses! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

Somehow I think I'm going to greatly regret not blowing up the Collector station and letting Cerberus have it.

I honestly would like to know why there is no association between Shepard and Cerberus at this point. Shepard was with Cerberus because they were literally the only group in the galaxy who gave a **** about the impending reaper threat, xenophobic terrorists or not. Plus I've still got the Normandy-2. So I am so confused to start this game.[/spoil]

Suffice it to say I'm having fun playing this series, and the line to kick my ass for not starting it the day I got the trilogy starts over there --->

Also if someone wants to let me know what the "mandatory" DLC is for a proper Mass Effect 3 experience, please let me know what it is, but not why.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, sucks that you lost those two squad mates. Both of them play a pretty cool role in Mass Effect 3 if they were to have survived. You should read what role they had when you're done.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Oh yeah, forgot to say, sucks that you lost those two squad mates. Both of them play a pretty cool role in Mass Effect 3 if they were to have survived. You should read what role they had when you're done.

Planning to. Just noticed Mordin's name is on that memorial at the back of the Normandy's crew deck, so at least there's that. Looked for Jack but I just realized I never figured out what her real name, if any, was.

I am also planning on running through all three games again sometime as renegade femshep. I'm pretty much all paragon all day with increasing levels on renegade as the series goes on.

So far this is how the series has struck me and colored my actions so far as shepard:

ME1: We must defend the galaxy and be as damn good as we can be, to set an example! (98% Paragon)

ME2: This Illusive Man is a real ******* but Cerberus is the only organization in the galaxy with any surplus ****s to give, so let's get this **** done, team! (75% Paragon)

ME3: I bring all this badass **** back to Earth and get my ass thrown in jail for my trouble while the Alliance plugs its ears and tries to pretend there's no problem right up until Vancouver starts burning. The council is still sitting around doing ****-all while the galaxy burns. **** everyone. I'm doing this for my crew and for Liara. (55% Paragon, and I beat the **** out of that tabloid reporter on my way out of The Citadel and it felt real good. Plus it doesn't hurt that my femshep now just looks really pissed off after being imported from ME1->ME2->ME3)

I'm having a lot of fun.

I agree 100%, Avder, Jennifer Hale is one of the best voice actors alive.

She's unbelievably talented.

Exactly! The comparison isn't even close.

Femshep is the one true shep. And she rightfully joins the ranks of other badass female protagonists in video game history. We need more of them. They rock.

I'm honestly annoyed that I can't find any good versions of ME1 or ME2 box art with femshep on it to replace the box art Origin uses.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
ME1 was a masterpiece. Loved every minute of it. ME2 was pretty meh, whole circular nonsense story. Never even cared to beat 3 even tho I got it for five bucks lol. Much like the matrix movies, I pretend the sequels don't exist

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
ME1 was a masterpiece. Loved every minute of it. ME2 was pretty meh, whole circular nonsense story. Never even cared to beat 3 even tho I got it for five bucks lol. Much like the matrix movies, I pretend the sequels don't exist

That's largely where I'm at.

One had it's problems, but was a great opening. I beat two, but just barely. Haven't touched three, and have no interest in it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
That's largely where I'm at.

One had it's problems, but was a great opening. I beat two, but just barely. Haven't touched three, and have no interest in it.

I thought the mission to end ME2 was awesome, aside from a little absurdity here and there.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I thought the mission to end ME2 was awesome, aside from a little absurdity here and there.

It was everything that lead up to it. It felt like it was stretched on a lot longer than it needed to be.

*shrug*

I feel like I've beaten my opinions on Bioware to death. They are their own worst enemies, but they make good PARTS of games. I just don't think I've ever played a Bioware game start to finish that didn't leave me really disappointed at what could have been.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
It was everything that lead up to it. It felt like it was stretched on a lot longer than it needed to be.

*shrug*

I feel like I've beaten my opinions on Bioware to death. They are their own worst enemies, but they make good PARTS of games. I just don't think I've ever played a Bioware game start to finish that didn't leave me really disappointed at what could have been.

I will give you that. The bulk of ME2's missions were related to one character or another, either a recruit or loyalty mission.

They were still fun tho.

At least they weren't ME1 side missions in the exact same building over and over.

I need to figure out what class I want to play next. I am having a LOT of fun with the Infiltrator class tho. I am kicking my own ass for not using Tactical Cloak hardly at all when I had it the whole time in ME2. I am getting a lot of use out of it in ME3 with the badass omni-tool melee. SURPRISE MOTHER****ER! *SLICE*

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I will give you that. The bulk of ME2's missions were related to one character or another, either a recruit or loyalty mission.

They were still fun tho.

At least they weren't ME1 side missions in the exact same building over and over.

I need to figure out what class I want to play next. I am having a LOT of fun with the Infiltrator class tho. I am kicking my own ass for not using Tactical Cloak hardly at all when I had it the whole time in ME2. I am getting a lot of use out of it in ME3 with the badass omni-tool melee. SURPRISE MOTHER****ER! *SLICE*

Yeah, they fixed my biggest complaints about 1 in 2, but they created new issues for me. The story and pacing, particularly with the loyalty missions, left me wanting a lot more.

I wish I had played KOTOR when it first came out. Everything I've read says the game doesn't hold up terribly well, but I just remember people gushing over it when it was new as being a great "complete" experience.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Mass Effect is pretty fun, yeah.

Second best new franchise of last generation IMO. Right after Gears of War.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Man why is this last game so full of feels? At this point Liara is about the only good thing my Shepard has to hold on to.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Continuing the Witcher 3 hype!

Gameplay video

I have also started to read the books by Andrzej Sapkowski.

Billy Mays Here*

Got into the World of Warships Beta. Darn NDA means I can't say much but it's promising so far.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
This game is just so full of tragedy.

[spoil]Thane got himself killed during the Cerberus attack on the Citadel and now Legion sacrifices himself to give the True Geth full sentience. Cerberus just plain shot Kelly between the eyes too. I liked Kelly! She was a great secretary/psychologist. Miranda is off trying to save her sister again. Ashley is a drunk too.

At least Jacob found a life and something to believe in, so it's not all tragedy. Oh, and EDI and Joker seem like they've got something. How weird is that o_O Oh and I think my Shepard and Liara are officially engaged now.

Tali and Garrus still kick ass. Liara is a sneaky little Asari. Oh and I met her dad. She gave her Asari Commandos! Bwahahaha.

And Tactical Cloak still rocks. I feel like a real assassin with it.

Also I'm having fun with the fact that I can finally use an actual assault rifle with competence, unlike ME1 where I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with one, and I couldn't even equip one in ME2, altho ME2 had a really good submachine gun.[/spoil]

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Continuing the Witcher 3 hype!

I have also started to read the books by Andrzej Sapkowski.

I really, really, really want to get into the series. I've played ~8-10 hours of The Witcher 2, and I just can't get into it...

It's got such a cool backstory, so much depth, but the gameplay just isn't there for me...

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Had some cashback and just bought Forza Horizon 2 on Amazon with it. Saw the good reviews, and they compare it to some of the more arcade-y racing games which I tend to like a lot more. Anyone played it?

Also, disappointed that it doesn't have split screen multiplayer, but it sounds like most racing games don't these days.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Had some cashback and just bought Forza Horizon 2 on Amazon with it. Saw the good reviews, and they compare it to some of the more arcade-y racing games which I tend to like a lot more. Anyone played it?

Also, disappointed that it doesn't have split screen multiplayer, but it sounds like most racing games don't these days.

Forza has always been solid. Anyone here given "The Crew" racing game a try yet? I'm on the fence of buying it. Open world of the US racing game. I hear it takes 45 minutes to drive from coast to coast with the fastest car. Sounds interesting and fun but could be meh as well. Someone push me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad