OT: General Video Game Discussion VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Forza has always been solid. Anyone here given "The Crew" racing game a try yet? I'm on the fence of buying it. Open world of the US racing game. I hear it takes 45 minutes to drive from coast to coast with the fastest car. Sounds interesting and fun but could be meh as well. Someone push me in the right direction.

The servers are pretty bad, at least on the PS4. Oh, and the microtransactions also suck, basically with the whole "pay to win" philosophy. Otherwise, it's decent. Not as good as some make it out to be, though. I mean, remember Ubisoft's other more hyped up game earlier this year in Watch Dogs? Yeah...

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I've been playing The Crew extensively. On the PS4. Ran into none of the issues that are referenced.

I think it is a very good arcade style game despite a lot of what's out there. *shrugs

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Finished Mass Effect 3.

The feels, man :(

Not to completely derail you... But I'm going to completely derail you. :laugh:

If you're looking to go classic for a follow up, Suikoden 1 and 2 were finally released on PSN.

I'm just starting 1, but apparently 2 is one of those "best ever" JRPGs. Up there with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Xenogears, etc. It was big enough news that Sony made time during their big conference last weekend to talk about it. It isn't often than nearly 20 year old games get press, let alone press on such a large stage.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Just started playing NHL 14 again recently. Mostly BGM, although EASHL might be sticking its ugly head up soon as well.

Naturally ( :p ) won the cup on my first season as Minnesota. Starting 14-15 now with a team that's perhaps not in it's finished form yet, but it's looking good so far. Remember, this is with the revamped rosters, so some of the overalls are lower than they would be on vanilla game. It's also much, much more realistic.

Parise (87) - Granlund (84) - Niederreiter (80)
Zucker (76) - Koivu (83) - Eberle (84)
MacArthur (76) - Bonino (82) - Coyle (79)
M. Reinhart (75) - Haula (80) - Fontaine (76)
Palushaj (72)

Suter (93) - Karlsson (91)
Scandella (81) - Spurgeon (84)
Brodin (83) - Faulk (77)
Weaver (69)

Mason (82)
Kuemper (82)

Some notables: I edited the Wild roster to match the start of this season before starting BGM. Also, some overalls are slightly different to what they were in original. Nino's shot was improved (as in real life), and he was moved to a power forward from a sniper. I also switched him to RW, which seems to be a better spot for him. Similarly, I edited other Wild players as well. No, I didn't improve their overalls on purpose, although some players like Spurgeon and Haula gained maybe two points. Instead, I made them more realistic, by improving Zucker's and Haula's speed, Zucker's aggressiveness and so on. Coyle is now stronger, more defensively responsible but has weaker puck handling, shot and offensive skills than originally, making him damn near perfect for 3rd line.

I also did some trades, like Harding to Philly for their 2014 1st, Steve Mason & Matt Read. Read was a good acquisition, but I had to release him due to cap last summer. The 1st turned out to be 8th OA, so I couldn't be happier. Drafted William Nylander (who turned out to have 63 OA, 4 red star potential and over 90 speed) with the 8th OA and Haydn Fleury with my own pick at 30. Fleury has even higher potential, with 4½ yellow stars, but a lower overall to begin with (58).

Also, Karlsson was acquired by trading Vanek and Dumba to Ottawa. Yeah. Vanek, for some reason, never really found his stride for my team, and while losing Dumba hurt a bit as he had good potential, adding him to the package to acquire EK was a no-brainer.

Certain players improved a lot during the summer, notable examples include Fontaine (70 -> 76), Zucker (74 -> 76), Scandella (79 -> 81) and Haula (78 -> 80). Meanwhile, Koivu and Brodin (!) interestingly lost one point on their overalls each, dropping them from 84 to 83.

I have placed quite a lot of attention to my depth this time, acquiring a lot of middle-round picks via transactions as well as players who could one day be useful in my NHL team, but are at least improving Iowa. Those guys include Matt Cooke, who I sent down this summer, at 72 OA. He will have a leadership role in Iowa. Zack Phillips already had his cup of coffee at NHL level, getting 1 assist in 4 games during regular season and 2+2 in 11 playoff games. Jonathon Blum is making good progress, but will need one more season in AHL at 73 overall. However, he has Justin Faulk to beat if he wants to make it to the NHL roster.

As for goalies, Kuemper started out at 82 and hasn't improved. His play was disappointing, despite me applying realistic stats to him. It seems that he lets in soft goals more often than not, and while he can play out of his mind occasionally, he forced me to acquire Steve Mason in the Harding trade. Harding's play was also disappointing, I modified him to 87 OA, reflecting his magnificent play last season, but also kept his durability at 37, which is the minimum. It was a tough decision to trade him, but also necessary, since he simply wasn't doing as well as I thought.

Mason, on the other hand, has been magnificent. He started out at 79 OA, quickly made it to Wild's #1 last season, lead the team to the Stanley Cup by great play. Only once did I have to pull him after two goals in three shots, but Kuemper wasn't really any better. In the summer, I signed him to a 5-year extension at $4m/year. He then improved to 82 during summer, and I'll be looking forward to seeing him play for a lot of years. Kuemper also signed a 1-year extension at $2.5m, and I'm expecting him to prove himself this year.

As for scoring leaders, last year saw the breakthrough of Nino Niederreiter. Starting out at 3rd line, he simply forced his way up. First to 2nd line with Koivu and Vanek, and then to 1st after the Pominville -> Eberle -trade and the latter failing to produce in that role. After leading the team in goals for a long time, he had an unfortunate injury but still finished the year with 29 goals and 13 assists in 69 GP. Eberle, on the other hand, proved himself worthy after placed in the 2nd line alongside Koivu and MacArthur (later Zucker), scoring at almost PPG pace en route to a 40 goal, 35 assist season, playing all 82 games. Zucker's stats may look somewhat disappointing, but he scored goals at important times and improved during the playoffs, cementing his spot at 2nd line after MacArthur was injured. He may only have 18 goals and 10 assists in 76 games, but he was 9+4 in 23 playoff games. He is one to watch out for this year.

Fontaine, who improved a lot during the offseason as mentioned previously, starts out at 4th line but will also receive #2 PP minutes due to his shot and offensive awareness receiving tremendous boosts. I'm curious to see how the 4th line fares, as they will mainly be out there to create a match-up hell for the opposition.

Billy Mays Here*

Tomorrow's the last day of the 3rd Campaign for WoT. Sitting at 88k Fame Points which is roughly 2,500th position. Praying that it's enough to keep me in the top 3,000 after the fighting ends by Wednesday morning. Nothing would piss me off more than dedicating myself to this Campaign for the last 30 days and having nothing to show for it.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Just started playing NHL 14 again recently. Mostly BGM, although EASHL might be sticking its ugly head up soon as well.

Naturally ( :p ) won the cup on my first season as Minnesota. Starting 14-15 now with a team that's perhaps not in it's finished form yet,

4b4b0a0cd3611616f6439312d3e9a571dde21c5dc917b397668466af4e442444.jpg

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Decided to entertain ourselves with (mostly) the good ol' group by playing some NHL 14 EASHL.

All in all, EA still sucks, Lapa has a beast mode and I'm Pierre-Marc Miettinen.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Steam Winter sale date leaked to be December 18th. RIP my wallet. I always end up buying games I never end up playing but when they're between $5-25 bucks how can you resist?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Steam Winter sale date leaked to be December 18th. RIP my wallet. I always end up buying games I never end up playing but when they're between $5-25 bucks how can you resist?

Yeah I have a ton of games I have yet to play. Most of that is because my laptop blows and I plan on building a desktop next summer, but still.

Might still snag a few if they get cheap enough. Hopefully South Park can get below ~$15.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Decided to entertain ourselves with (mostly) the good ol' group by playing some NHL 14 EASHL.

All in all, EA still sucks, Lapa has a beast mode and I'm Pierre-Marc Miettinen.

I might enjoy that, but my PS3 is downstairs and it isn't even plugged in. I guess I'll just wait for NHL 16/17/41 when they choose to include EASHL again.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
No PS3 or Vita?

I feel like that's a crime against great games, though I know you tend to gravitate towards older stuff.

Nope. I do not have a PS3 or Vita.

Which of the three options did you choose?

Spoiler tagging as usual because I figure there are probably at least a few people who read this thread who have yet to play the series.
[spoil]Synthesis. I figured if I'm gonna die, I might as well die making permanent peace.

The way I was playing, destruction didn't seem to be an option because while it would destroy the Reapers, it would also annihilate the Geth, and the Geth are worth letting live because they believe in self-determination and the Quarians are going to need their help to get Rannoch back up to speed.

Control didn't seem like a good option either, as that would give me absolute power, and I don't want absolute power. I'd basically be accomplishing Cerberus' goals, and Cerberus thought it had enough self control and didn't. Well I KNOW I don't have enough self control.

So I went with Synthesis.

Then after watching and seeing how sad it all got, I looked up endings and discovered that I can live through the destruction ending, but only if my military strength is high enough, which mine wasnt. Apparently with Extended Cut it only needs to be 3100, and I had 2900. So I've been using the online stuff on biowares site to raise my readiness rating so when I re-play the final missions in a few days I can see what that ending is like.

That "readiness rating" crap is horse ****. Had it not been for that, I would have had 5800 EMS.

I don't want to leave Liara as a widow. I fell too much in love with her as a character for that. That's what hurt the most about the ending. Sad ending for Liara.

Obviously I was getting very much into character in my own head throughout this series.

I'm starting a new playthrough in Mass Effect 1. Going to be playing as an adept with my bonus power being skill in Assault Rifles (went to that station where you can do practice runs in order to get enough AR kills with my infiltrator). With power cooldowns in ME1 being so ridiculously long I need to be able to shoot stuff, and I've had enough of only being able to use pistols in close up situations. I am dearly going to miss my sniper rifles tho. I made EXTENSIVE use of the sniper rifle in the final levels in my original infiltrator playthrough.

Doing the main plot missions in a different order this time too. Original runthrough was Feros->Noveria->Therum->Virmire. Liara thought I was a hallucination and it was absolutely adoreable.

So far I've done Therum right off the bat.

I think I'm also going to let Ash die at Virmire this time to see what Kaidan can do in ME3. Plus Ash is basically an anti-alien space-nazi and I am once again going to be romancing Liara.

So far I've realized that if I'm going to be doing all the decrypting and hacking for loot, I'm going to need someone with tech skills in the party at almost all times because I think the ability to decrypt is based on highest skill in the party. That means I'm probably taking Tali with me everywhere because she does tech like nobody's business and she's decent in combat with her shotguns.[/spoil]

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Nope. I do not have a PS3 or Vita.

Spoiler tagging as usual because I figure there are probably at least a few people who read this thread who have yet to play the series.
[spoil]Synthesis. I figured if I'm gonna die, I might as well die making permanent peace.

The way I was playing, destruction didn't seem to be an option because while it would destroy the Reapers, it would also annihilate the Geth, and the Geth are worth letting live because they believe in self-determination and the Quarians are going to need their help to get Rannoch back up to speed.

Control didn't seem like a good option either, as that would give me absolute power, and I don't want absolute power. I'd basically be accomplishing Cerberus' goals, and Cerberus thought it had enough self control and didn't. Well I KNOW I don't have enough self control.

So I went with Synthesis.

Then after watching and seeing how sad it all got, I looked up endings and discovered that I can live through the destruction ending, but only if my military strength is high enough, which mine wasnt. Apparently with Extended Cut it only needs to be 3100, and I had 2900. So I've been using the online stuff on biowares site to raise my readiness rating so when I re-play the final missions in a few days I can see what that ending is like.

That "readiness rating" crap is horse ****. Had it not been for that, I would have had 5800 EMS.

I don't want to leave Liara as a widow. I fell too much in love with her as a character for that. That's what hurt the most about the ending. Sad ending for Liara.

Obviously I was getting very much into character in my own head throughout this series.

I'm starting a new playthrough in Mass Effect 1. Going to be playing as an adept with my bonus power being skill in Assault Rifles (went to that station where you can do practice runs in order to get enough AR kills with my infiltrator). With power cooldowns in ME1 being so ridiculously long I need to be able to shoot stuff, and I've had enough of only being able to use pistols in close up situations. I am dearly going to miss my sniper rifles tho. I made EXTENSIVE use of the sniper rifle in the final levels in my original infiltrator playthrough.

Doing the main plot missions in a different order this time too. Original runthrough was Feros->Noveria->Therum->Virmire. Liara thought I was a hallucination and it was absolutely adoreable.

So far I've done Therum right off the bat.

I think I'm also going to let Ash die at Virmire this time to see what Kaidan can do in ME3. Plus Ash is basically an anti-alien space-nazi and I am once again going to be romancing Liara.

So far I've realized that if I'm going to be doing all the decrypting and hacking for loot, I'm going to need someone with tech skills in the party at almost all times because I think the ability to decrypt is based on highest skill in the party. That means I'm probably taking Tali with me everywhere because she does tech like nobody's business and she's decent in combat with her shotguns.[/spoil]

[spoil]I chose "destroy" as my first ending and was not that satisfied. The others I have done "synthesis" because it seems the most logical and it will probably lead to the best set up once the new game comes out on the next-gen systems (BioWare said to keep those save files).

If you're doing another play through I wouldn't recommend romancing the same character. The story changes quite a bit and that's what the point of doing that is, right? Since you went Paragon FemShep this time, (if you're planning on doing another FemShep) I'd recommend a Renegade FemShep Garrus sequence. Pretty cool.

As bad as the MaleShep's voice can be, the relationship options are a lot better. Tali, Jack, Miranda, Ashley (especially in ME3) are all good. I dunno, I'd suggest trying to make it as different as possible.

Also, make sure your whole crew survives the end of ME2 (through loyalty missions and proper assignments, etc. (and Wrex on Virmire on ME1)). Makes the ME3 a lot more fulfilling.

My last play-through I did an Adept Renegade and it was by far the most fun (compared to a Paragon Soldier). Having Shockwave and Lash recharge in like 3 seconds is great. Having your biotics recharge in the amount of time it takes to locate another enemy is quite handy.

I am living vicariously through you right now. Ha. I have played this series so much that it's awesome when someone is just getting into it.[/spoil]

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
[spoil]I chose "destroy" as my first ending and was not that satisfied. The others I have done "synthesis" because it seems the most logical and it will probably lead to the best set up once the new game comes out on the next-gen systems (BioWare said to keep those save files).

If you're doing another play through I wouldn't recommend romancing the same character. The story changes quite a bit and that's what the point of doing that is, right? Since you went Paragon FemShep this time, (if you're planning on doing another FemShep) I'd recommend a Renegade FemShep Garrus sequence. Pretty cool.

As bad as the MaleShep's voice can be, the relationship options are a lot better. Tali, Jack, Miranda, Ashley (especially in ME3) are all good. I dunno, I'd suggest trying to make it as different as possible.

Also, make sure your whole crew survives the end of ME2 (through loyalty missions and proper assignments, etc. (and Wrex on Virmire on ME1)). Makes the ME3 a lot more fulfilling.

My last play-through I did an Adept Renegade and it was by far the most fun (compared to a Paragon Soldier). Having Shockwave and Lash recharge in like 3 seconds is great. Having your biotics recharge in the amount of time it takes to locate another enemy is quite handy.

I am living vicariously through you right now. Ha. I have played this series so much that it's awesome when someone is just getting into it.[/spoil]

[spoil]Well I'm romancing Liara again because she's the only ME1 romance I'm at all interested in seeing. Kaidan just doesn't seem that interesting to me, and while Ashley might be interesting to see, she doesnt strike me a interesting enough to play as broshep. Plus she's pretty racist. That's a definite turn off. Plus she's slated to die at Virmire because Kaidan died in my first playthrough.

ME2 I'll think about maybe giving Garrus a shot just for the lulz. He's by far my favorite male character of the series, and was in all three of the final battles with me. He was pretty much my Paragon Infiltrator Femshep's best friend.

I've looked up who the romance partners are for all three games and yeah, broshep seems like he gets the more interesting options. I'm also disappointed that it took until ME3 for there to be genuine (paramore achievement granting) homosexual romance options. Sure, Liara+femshep LOOKS homosexual, but as Asari are mono-gendered, it's technically not. Plus none of the homosexual options in ME3 are possible squadmates, which is rather disappointing. I was taking Liara EVERYWHERE with me in ME3 because I felt like two lovers fighting side by side makes for a stronger romantic story. That's also why she was with me at the end of ME1. That and her biotics were a great compliment to myself and Garrus.

No idea who my Renegade Adept Femshep's best friend is going to be, but in ME1 at least I need someone with tech skills so I can hack and decrypt stuff for extra loot, because $$$, so I've been bringing Tali everywhere. I just noticed Liara has tech skills in this game, so she might be an option. Kaidan possibly as well. I need to see just how strong my biotic skills get as the game goes on. The reason I went with AR as my bonus skill was cause I knew I was going to need to be able to deal decent damage someway in the early game. The recoil on this thing is absolutely horrible. I hope that improves once I find a decent kinetic stabilizer and an AR with an actual accuracy rating.

I'm also going to do more of the side quests in all three games just to experience stuff that I missed.[/spoil]

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I might enjoy that, but my PS3 is downstairs and it isn't even plugged in. I guess I'll just wait for NHL 16/17/41 when they choose to include EASHL again.

:laugh:

We certainly miss you. Eki might've said at some point "Where's my God? I need Sharppi!", or something along those lines.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
God that sucks. With only 3 laps to gooooo...

I was just starting my attack, too. Didn't quite get that guy in front of me heading to backstraight, but was definitely within a shout of that top-10 finish. That pack was from 8th to 11th. Ended up 28th. I hit the limiter couple of times, especially on the end of main straight (didn't want to switch to 5th there because of the braking zone being so near), but thought I did a good job of not going over the limiter under braking. Apparently not. Okayama is notorious for killing these Skippy engines though, I was the 4th engine failure of the day.

Oh well, next week is Suzuka GP circuit. That'll be... interesting, with the 50 car maximum grid.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Am playing through Mass Effect 1 again. This time as a Renegade Adept Femshep.

I shot a space monkey with the mako and Liara got mad at me :'(

[spoil]Also taking Assault Rifle as my bonus talent was a good call. Even with only one talent point into it to unlock overkill, it's so much easier to kill stuff with my gun than it was for my Infiltrator who could only use a pistol most of the time.

Also being able to buy a Spectre VII Assault Rifle after some saving up is just awesome. The thing has like no friggin knockback. I feel like I'm cheating, haha.

Also lift + throw = HAVE A NICE TRIP, SEE YOU NEXT FALL (if you live through it, which most don't).

Been rolling with Liara + Tali the whole game except for one mission where Garrus got the call (that one where we kill that doctor), cause I'm going for the Tali and Liara teammate achievements.

Also because I think Liara and Tali both rock.

And good god, who designed the terrain on some of these uncharted planets? I've seen smoother surfaces on a pineapple.

And I've got about a bunch of cooldown mods. Found just about the best biotic amp that gives a 40% cooldown reduction. Got a Medical Exoskeleton that gives me another 15% or so, and then a Kinetic thingamabobber that gives another 15% or so. Power cooldown time is approaching Mass Effect 2 territory. I am lifting and throwing everything in sight.

Also just for luls I stuck two rail extensions and the superheated explosion ammo on my useless sniper rifle to make a one shot point blank deathcaster. It's hilarious. I should try it on a shotgun.[/spoil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad