OT: General Video Game Discussion VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Had an annoying few moments today playing F1 2014.

In a career with McLaren, coming off a surprising 2nd place from the last race, going into Montreal for the Canadian GP. Setting pretty good times throughout practice when it was dry, started raining halfway through.

Qualifying next, set a good time on my first lap in Q1, never needed to go out again. Q2, was setting pretty good times throughout. Got behind Kvyat of Toro Rosso going into Turn 1 and for some reason he slowed down mid corner on the racing line, I'm guessing to let me pass, and I slammed into the back of him, taking his right rear wheel clean off. Game handed me a 10 place grid penalty on the spot. Ended up setting a really fast lap after time had run out in Q3 that WOULD'VE got me into 2nd place to start the race, but of course the grid penalty, ended up starting 12th.

Not a big deal I thought, only doing a 25% race distance so 18 laps. I can pick up a few spots in this. So, starting the race. I get a good start off the line, going along the start finish straight into the right hander towards Turn 1. All of a sudden I lose ALL CONTROL, and spin out into the right wall next to Turn 1. Who was it? DANIIL KVYAT. (I'm gonna kill him I swear).

So I managed to get it pointed towards the track again and to assess the damage, I no longer had a front wing, and my front right tire was punctured. So I get around Turns 1 and 2 somehow, and then start off on the straight towards Turn 3. Caught in a sea of cars though I realize that I'm not going to be able to get around Turn 3 because the front right will lock up as soon as I touch the brakes, and I would go careening off the track, or into somebody else and cause an even bigger incident. So I stopped the car on the side of the track (which is like just enough space for my car), and let all the backmarkers go ahead so I could trudge my way along the track to get to the pits to change tires and my front wing. Keep in mind, the front brakes would lock up every time I touched the brake pedal, so it took me about double the time a normal lap would take to get back to the pits.

With a 25% race distance though, there's only 1 pit stop normally for tires, and to be compliant to regulations in F1 you have to use both allocated tire compounds in a race. I started on supersofts, so I switched to softs to be compliant to regs, and so I could hopefully catch a bunch of cars out when they went in for their pit stops around lap 8 or so, because I wouldn't need to stop again for the remainder of the race.

Long story short, I ended up catching those cars, making a few passes, and finishing right back where I started, in 12th, after dropping down to 22nd, last place.

Hopefully next race will be better...

That sounds like my adventures on Skip Barber F2000 on iRacing. I really should be more careful, but I just love wheel to wheel racing too much to forget that not everyone can handle the pressure in such situation. :laugh:

I drove 10 official races yesterday alone. The final race, I started on the back (no qualifying time for me), worked my way up few spots before I locked my RF going into a tight right-hander. The guy who I was now alongside chose to turn into the corner really early, so I ended up slamming into him and spinning. It would've been all fine and dandy (I can drive without a front wing just fine), if someone hadn't decided to slam right into my stationary car. There was another accident behind me completely unrelated to mine, he avoided that on the inside and ended up utterly and completely annihilating my everything.

I still managed to work my way back into the pits for a quick repair (Skippy has one of those each race) with just two off-tracks. Ended up picking a couple of positions thanks to other crashes, but also ended up rather bored by lap 10 or 11.

Here's what happens when Finns get bored:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Can't stop playing Mass Effect.

I am kicking myself for not playing this sooner, but at the same time I think playing it immediately after Chrono Trigger was just about the best way to go.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Can't stop playing Mass Effect.

I am kicking myself for not playing this sooner, but at the same time I think playing it immediately after Chrono Trigger was just about the best way to go.

Just wait until you get to the second one. ME 1 and 3 are amazing games, but 2 is stellar.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
More F1 2014 stories!

So after putting it off for about two days, I finally raced the Austrian GP today. I qualified for it 2 days ago, and during qualifying I SOMEHOW managed to get another 10 spot grid penalty, despite doing absolutely nothing wrong. Ended up qualifying in pole position too, so I started the race in 11th. Blech.

Regardless, the first lap was not bad. No crashes, not much contact. A couple wheel to wheel incidents but nothing came of them. I ended up in around 7th by the 5th lap or so (18 laps in this race btw). Then on around lap 7, Sebastian Vettel in the Red Bull ahead of me had some kind of incident with the car he was trying to pass, and slowed down MASSIVELY on the racing line through a right hander, and I hit his right left wheel and knocked it off.

"Son of a B", I thought. "I'm gonna get another penalty for that crap?" Ended up getting a drive-through penalty (where you only have to enter the pits, drive through the pit lane, then exit again), and the safety car came out because Vettel stopped on track.

The safety car coming out actually proved useful, because it bunched the field up a lot and a bunch of dudes came into the pits to switch tires during the safety car period, so after the safety car went back into the pits and the race restarted, I found myself in 4th place. Then 3rd place. Then a pass for second. Then the leader pitted so I found myself leading the race, but still having to serve the penalty.

So after about 4 laps of putting it off trying to build a gap, I served the drive-through and came out in 5th place, quickly making a pass to get myself back into 4th. Then someone went into the pits to make 3rd place mine, then all I had between me and a podium finish was 8 laps of white-knuckle driving, and Ricciardo in 2nd place. (Remember, I started this race in 11th, AND caused a crash).

I ended up passing Ricciardo for my 2nd 2nd place finish of the year, feeling much better about myself after that piece of crap Canadian GP. Not bad for starting in 11th and causing a crash. :P

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
More F1 2014 stories!

So after putting it off for about two days, I finally raced the Austrian GP today. I qualified for it 2 days ago, and during qualifying I SOMEHOW managed to get another 10 spot grid penalty, despite doing absolutely nothing wrong. Ended up qualifying in pole position too, so I started the race in 11th. Blech.

Regardless, the first lap was not bad. No crashes, not much contact. A couple wheel to wheel incidents but nothing came of them. I ended up in around 7th by the 5th lap or so (18 laps in this race btw). Then on around lap 7, Sebastian Vettel in the Red Bull ahead of me had some kind of incident with the car he was trying to pass, and slowed down MASSIVELY on the racing line through a right hander, and I hit his right left wheel and knocked it off.

"Son of a B", I thought. "I'm gonna get another penalty for that crap?" Ended up getting a drive-through penalty (where you only have to enter the pits, drive through the pit lane, then exit again), and the safety car came out because Vettel stopped on track.

The safety car coming out actually proved useful, because it bunched the field up a lot and a bunch of dudes came into the pits to switch tires during the safety car period, so after the safety car went back into the pits and the race restarted, I found myself in 4th place. Then 3rd place. Then a pass for second. Then the leader pitted so I found myself leading the race, but still having to serve the penalty.

So after about 4 laps of putting it off trying to build a gap, I served the drive-through and came out in 5th place, quickly making a pass to get myself back into 4th. Then someone went into the pits to make 3rd place mine, then all I had between me and a podium finish was 8 laps of white-knuckle driving, and Ricciardo in 2nd place. (Remember, I started this race in 11th, AND caused a crash).

I ended up passing Ricciardo for my 2nd 2nd place finish of the year, feeling much better about myself after that piece of crap Canadian GP. Not bad for starting in 11th and causing a crash. :P

As an ex-GT3 driver, I thought you were more used to weird crap and people stopping on the racing line? :sarcasm:

Well done, though. Always feels good to drive like a madman through the pack and actually finish well. Keep hustling.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
As an ex-GT3 driver, I thought you were more used to weird crap and people stopping on the racing line? :sarcasm:

Well done, though. Always feels good to drive like a madman through the pack and actually finish well. Keep hustling.

For the record, I never actually said I drove in iRacing GT3. :sarcasm:

And yeah, F1 2014 is getting me back into the F1 games, strangely. I'm only doing the 25% races on a 7 race season now because I've never actually gone through a season long enough to get to the later races, cause I always used to do 100% races. I want to get back in to at least 50% distance though. 25% distance is just a little too short; I wanna have those cramps at the end, ya know? :laugh:

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Skip Barber 2K Cup, which is the premier Skip Barber series in iRacing (and has some very quick guys in it), is having its final race of the season in Zandvoort tonight.

I'll be making my debut, since I've had a decent pace all week.

Race starts at 4 PM EST, and it will be broadcasted live. Here's the link:

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Qualified 14th, finished 7th. Not too shabby, but I could've been maybe a place or two higher, had I not made one mistake on lap 5. It's a shame the broadcast team had some issues, so the overlays and car skins weren't proper on that stream.

To be honest, I'm more than happy. First race in that league, 24 drivers in the final race and I made the top 10. It's a nice confidence boost, that's for sure.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Codemasters F1 :laugh:

Only racing "sim" (I use this term VERY loosely) that gives you penalties for getting spun around by someone else and sometimes, doing absolutely nothing. Between that, the unrealistic damage physics. Run straight into a wall at 100 MPH? Only front wing loss, no terminal damage or anything. Combine all that with AI that is allowed to get away with murder, no first lap safety cars, lack of a proper full session weekend (instead of three practices of 90, 90, 60 min each, you get 1 60 min session, which is inexcusable), lack of formation lap (also inexcusable), and not much realism and you get a ****** arcade game marketed as a sim. Simple immersive realism things like the formation lap and a full ****ing race weekend (which could be options. I mean, you shouldn't be forced to do them) missing is just unacceptable.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
War Thunder is a really good game. Plus, it's free.

I got hooked on it a few months ago as well. If I'm not in a platoon for WOT its very hard for me to even get through 10 games. Idk if I'm getting burned out on it again or what, but War Thunder has been a nice alternative. Whats your username?

Billy Mays Here*

The Third Campaign in World of Tanks is consuming me right now. Always checking my position in the Alley of Fame, trying desperately to remain in the top 3000 so I can get one of those tier 10 reward tanks. I'm even giving a few of my clan mates my account info so they can play on mine during the week while I'm at work to keep my fame totals up.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The Third Campaign in World of Tanks is consuming me right now. Always checking my position in the Alley of Fame, trying desperately to remain in the top 3000 so I can get one of those tier 10 reward tanks. I'm even giving a few of my clan mates my account info so they can play on mine during the week while I'm at work to keep my fame totals up.

Demotivational-Posters-Army-12-550x440.jpg

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Codemasters F1 :laugh:

Only racing "sim" (I use this term VERY loosely) that gives you penalties for getting spun around by someone else and sometimes, doing absolutely nothing. Between that, the unrealistic damage physics. Run straight into a wall at 100 MPH? Only front wing loss, no terminal damage or anything. Combine all that with AI that is allowed to get away with murder, no first lap safety cars, lack of a proper full session weekend (instead of three practices of 90, 90, 60 min each, you get 1 60 min session, which is inexcusable), lack of formation lap (also inexcusable), and not much realism and you get a ****** arcade game marketed as a sim. Simple immersive realism things like the formation lap and a full ****ing race weekend (which could be options. I mean, you shouldn't be forced to do them) missing is just unacceptable.

Yeah... Although I do mod my game a lot so I have a damage mod that increases the damage significantly, hence why every time I hit the back of an AI driver one of their rear wheels comes off lol.

But the one practice session is annoying. All 3 used to be in F1 2011, but they took it out for some reason. Either way, if you need more practice you can just restart the session at the end of it. I never usually need more than one session anyway.

Lack of formation lap is just [mod edit:stupid] though. I find myself going into time trial prior to starting the race just to get time on track before I start. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I've learned to accept that Nhl 15 cant be played online. The only feasible gamemode for it is the Be a GM, and its not without flaws. I still try to play it after paying 60€.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I've learned to accept that Nhl 15 cant be played online. The only feasible gamemode for it is the Be a GM, and its not without flaws. I still try to play it after paying 60€.

So glad I cancelled my pre-order. Sounds like a pretty amazing disaster.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Mass Effect 2 is pretty neat.

[spoil]Wish I could have gotten more of my ME1 team members back. Ashley outright disowned me, Wrex is a clan leader, Kaiden died back on Virmire, and Liara is caught in a web of deceit and lies that she says is going to take years to get out of.

Liara especially not being recruitable is annoying because she was my love interest in ME1!

At least I got Tali and Garrus back tho. Garrus is awesome. Had him and Liara as my squadmates for the final battle of ME1 and I plan on bringing Garrus along for whatever the final battle for ME2 is.

Also I found a sniper rifle I can use to take down friggin tanks with in like 3 shots. I think I'm in love! Never felt the need to buy a gun flowers before in any game.

Also time dilation when sniping = GOAT. HEADSHOTS FOR EVERYONE![/spoil]

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So what's the deal with this "New Era" NHL 15 thing that people are pissed about now?

Another "huge announcement" from EA that ended up being crap? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad