OT: General Video Game Discussion VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
So you can get NHL 15 for about 30 bucks today.

If you want to, that is. :P

r7Q1W6D.gif

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Finally starting a genuine playthrough of Mass Effect.....and I find that stuff I learned in Chrono Trigger might just be helpful because I had no idea just how much RPG stuff is in Mass Effect.

Coincidentially, both games have a three member party limit. Imagine that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Really getting into this game.

Gah, all the good equipment is so expensive...and by the time I can afford it I've usually found something better in the field.

And so many side quests, lol.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
Bought the ps4, gta, and last of us combo. Haven't played last of us yet but goodness gracious gta v looks so much better. Excited to pick up nhl15 tomorrow after class. Anyone played last of us? Not much of a gamer so I hadn't even heard of it before buying it.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Bought the ps4, gta, and last of us combo. Haven't played last of us yet but goodness gracious gta v looks so much better. Excited to pick up nhl15 tomorrow after class. Anyone played last of us? Not much of a gamer so I hadn't even heard of it before buying it.

It won game of the year in 2013. Probably the best campaign I have played. It's beautiful on the PS4. If you're into post-apocalyptic stories, you'll enjoy it.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
It won game of the year in 2013. Probably the best campaign I have played. It's beautiful on the PS4. If you're into post-apocalyptic stories, you'll enjoy it.

I don't even know what type of stories I'm into. In the last 5 years the only games I've bought are nhl or gta. I only have a few hours a week of free time tho so it's hard to get into games. Bought the whole thing on Friday and only played about 20 mns so far. Just got home from work tho so I'm gonna do a few gta missions before bed.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
I don't even know what type of stories I'm into. In the last 5 years the only games I've bought are nhl or gta. I only have a few hours a week of free time tho so it's hard to get into games. Bought the whole thing on Friday and only played about 20 mns so far. Just got home from work tho so I'm gonna do a few gta missions before bed.

Sounds like you're like a lot of gamers who want something fun and relaxing to play after work. GTA is perfect for that. I'd give Last of Us a chance after you get through GTA. I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed it but that is just my experience.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Sounds like you're like a lot of gamers who want something fun and relaxing to play after work. GTA is perfect for that. I'd give Last of Us a chance after you get through GTA. I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed it but that is just my experience.

Last of us was a solid 8,5/10. One or two uninteresting scenes and the creeps started to feel like a chore, not a threat towards the end. Also, the ending left me facepalming.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Preordered 'The Crew'.

Played the beta, was a lot of fun. See how the game actually is...

I really didn't like the beta at all. The driving physics were pretty brutal--not a good sim, but too stiff to be a good arcade racer. Huge disappointment, because I was really looking forward to it. Oh well. I went out and bought Forza Horizon 2 almost immediately after the Crew beta ended, and I haven't looked back. :laugh:

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Just bought Wreckfest aka Next Car Game from Steam Sale. Should be good.

It's interesting, but very raw.

I'm not really sure what they're actually aiming for, once you get past the jaw-dropping visuals, the game is very thin. A couple races, none of which matter, a couple demo derbies, none of which matter, etc.

There's no depth, no progression. It's just a playground, or a tech demo.

That said, there's fun to be had.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Got some hours into the actual gameplay now. It's thorough impressive in my view. The graphics don't blow you away. The amount of freedom does.

At first in the beta I wasn't a fan of the feel of driving but like most racing games I've more or less figured it out with some time. Most early returns (and reviews) have been positive. It's going to take days, in terms of hours, before anyone really has a great handle on how this is going to turn out.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Alright, my Xbox One arrived yesterday. Played some Titanfall yesterday, pretty fun. Halo just arrived today, so that download is currently in progress.

I bought the bundle for $430 at Best Buy with free controller.. except they didn't send the free controller. :\ Hopefully that gets worked out; I sent them an email.

Otherwise I actually like the Kinect. Walked into my room after work and turned the TV/Xbox on without touching the controller, stuck Halo in, and started the download. Pretty cool you can do all that without a controller. The motion-sensing has not been great for me, maybe because the TV is right in front of my bed. It's been tough so far.

Looking forward to MCC (huge Halo fan), AC: Unity (also big AC fan), Titanfall, and Sunset Overdrive when it gets here.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Easily favorite series of games. Lots of fun. (Mass Effect that is)

I'm downloading telltales game of thrones currently. Been waiting for this game for a while...

Last edited:

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Alright, my Xbox One arrived yesterday. Played some Titanfall yesterday, pretty fun. Halo just arrived today, so that download is currently in progress.

I bought the bundle for $430 at Best Buy with free controller.. except they didn't send the free controller. :\ Hopefully that gets worked out; I sent them an email.

Otherwise I actually like the Kinect. Walked into my room after work and turned the TV/Xbox on without touching the controller, stuck Halo in, and started the download. Pretty cool you can do all that without a controller. The motion-sensing has not been great for me, maybe because the TV is right in front of my bed. It's been tough so far.

Looking forward to MCC (huge Halo fan), AC: Unity (also big AC fan), Titanfall, and Sunset Overdrive when it gets here.

Turn the kinect away from you while you're not playing. It will randomly recognize you and turn on the xbox.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Can't stop playing Mass Effect.

There are SO MANY sidequests tho.

Also it's rather annoying that when you sell stuff you bought you only get 1/10 what you paid for it. Really annoying! Usually it's a much more manageable 1/3 or 1/2.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Turn the kinect away from you while you're not playing. It will randomly recognize you and turn on the xbox.

Hilarious that you say that, because it did that last night once while I was just sitting there on my bed. :laugh:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Playing Crash Team Racing yesterday with some buddies. Needless to say, it was awesome :laugh:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Had an annoying few moments today playing F1 2014.

In a career with McLaren, coming off a surprising 2nd place from the last race, going into Montreal for the Canadian GP. Setting pretty good times throughout practice when it was dry, started raining halfway through.

Qualifying next, set a good time on my first lap in Q1, never needed to go out again. Q2, was setting pretty good times throughout. Got behind Kvyat of Toro Rosso going into Turn 1 and for some reason he slowed down mid corner on the racing line, I'm guessing to let me pass, and I slammed into the back of him, taking his right rear wheel clean off. Game handed me a 10 place grid penalty on the spot. Ended up setting a really fast lap after time had run out in Q3 that WOULD'VE got me into 2nd place to start the race, but of course the grid penalty, ended up starting 12th.

Not a big deal I thought, only doing a 25% race distance so 18 laps. I can pick up a few spots in this. So, starting the race. I get a good start off the line, going along the start finish straight into the right hander towards Turn 1. All of a sudden I lose ALL CONTROL, and spin out into the right wall next to Turn 1. Who was it? DANIIL KVYAT. (I'm gonna kill him I swear).

So I managed to get it pointed towards the track again and to assess the damage, I no longer had a front wing, and my front right tire was punctured. So I get around Turns 1 and 2 somehow, and then start off on the straight towards Turn 3. Caught in a sea of cars though I realize that I'm not going to be able to get around Turn 3 because the front right will lock up as soon as I touch the brakes, and I would go careening off the track, or into somebody else and cause an even bigger incident. So I stopped the car on the side of the track (which is like just enough space for my car), and let all the backmarkers go ahead so I could trudge my way along the track to get to the pits to change tires and my front wing. Keep in mind, the front brakes would lock up every time I touched the brake pedal, so it took me about double the time a normal lap would take to get back to the pits.

With a 25% race distance though, there's only 1 pit stop normally for tires, and to be compliant to regulations in F1 you have to use both allocated tire compounds in a race. I started on supersofts, so I switched to softs to be compliant to regs, and so I could hopefully catch a bunch of cars out when they went in for their pit stops around lap 8 or so, because I wouldn't need to stop again for the remainder of the race.

Long story short, I ended up catching those cars, making a few passes, and finishing right back where I started, in 12th, after dropping down to 22nd, last place.

Hopefully next race will be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad