OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing - Round XII

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Masvidal would smoke Paul even though he's 30 lb lighter. He is the far more technical boxer. Not sure if Nate has the power to dominate Paul
Masvidal sucks, both he and Diaz probably lose to Paul.
Jorge had his 15min of fame, he's a smokeshow. Diaz strengths are his submission and grappling game, boxing is not his element. His little jab routine isn't going to do much in a boxing fight.
Jake Paul understood something, these MMA fighters aren't boxers.

Feel bad for Woodley, he ruined his legacy. World Champ to chump KOd by a tiktok bozo.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Jorge had his 15min of fame, he's a smokeshow. Diaz strengths are his submission and grappling game, boxing is not his element. His little jab routine isn't going to do much in a boxing fight.

Feel bad for Woodley, he ruined his legacy. World Champ to chump KOd by a tiktok bozo.

woodley did not ruin his legacy. Let’s not get carried away. He lost in a different sport.

Reactions: Surfer72

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He lost his last 4 ufc fights too.

I feel like EVERY fight I've seen of Woodley UFC or boxing he has LOST them all lol

I get what LL means but man .. you really cant help but feel like Woodleys career has taken a BIT of a shot with these last 2 joke performances, even if it was boxing

The kids today wont ever remember he was the UFC welterwgt champ right before the legendary run Usman is currently on, but they'll aaaalways remember that FACEplant KO damn that was embarrassing

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I feel like EVERY fight I've seen of Woodley UFC or boxing he has LOST them all lol

I get what LL means but man .. you really cant help but feel like Woodleys career has taken a BIT of a shot with these last 2 joke performances, even if it was boxing

The kids today wont ever remember he was the UFC welterwgt champ right before the legendary run Usman is currently on, but they'll aaaalways remember that FACEplant KO damn that was embarrassing

what's more embarrassing was he begged for that fight lol

Reactions: Redux91

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He lost his last 4 ufc fights too.

Ya but the difference between him and some guys who are thought of fondly is retiring at right time. If GSP fought this late he’d lose too.

It doesn’t hurt his legacy. Just line Silva is still considered great. It just looks like he doesn’t know when to stop.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Ya but the difference between him and some guys who are thought of fondly is retiring at right time. If GSP fought this late he’d lose too.

It doesn’t hurt his legacy. Just line Silva is still considered great. It just looks like he doesn’t know when to stop.

I think it does hurt the legacy, especially to casuals. Casuals now don’t even look at Silva in the conversation for GOAT, before the leg break it was a given. He was the absolute goat.

You think if Khabib comes out of retirement and gets choked out by Oliveira, his legacy is tarnished? It absolutely is. It’s still a great legacy, but he won’t be viewed as some unstoppable force anymore.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think it does hurt the legacy, especially to casuals. Casuals now don’t even look at Silva in the conversation for GOAT, before the leg break it was a given. He was the absolute goat.

You think if Khabib comes out of retirement and gets choked out by Oliveira, his legacy is tarnished? It absolutely is. It’s still a great legacy, but he won’t be viewed as some unstoppable force anymore.

Khabibs legacy is a little bit more extreme than woodley. He’s got the rarely loses a round aura. So a loss would be huge. Woodley and company already lost way before the belt. It isn’t quite the same.

I agree with you obviously but there is a huge difference between the legacy of these guys.

Either way if Khabib lost tomorrow he’d lose in his prime. It’s a bit different

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Silva's legacy was also affected, same with Fedor. These guys were undefeated, seen as well above everyone else until...well...no more. It's no longer the same God undefeated status.
GSP still has that. He left on top.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Silva's legacy was also affected, same with Fedor. These guys were undefeated, seen as well above everyone else until...well...no more. It's no longer the same God undefeated status.
GSP still has that. He left on top.

Silva lost his 3rd mma fight, he wasn't undefeated.

I think certain guys have a different mystique. Khabib is undefeated and no one he fought came close. GSP has lost, Woodley has lost, Silva has lost, etc... well before their expiry date.

Khabib also left at a relatively young age. GSP losing tomorrow isn't the same as Khabib losing tomorrow.

Woodley was never some super GOAT status fighter. Losing at 39(soon to be 40) doesn't scream "OH NO HIS LEGACY". I shrug, I know he's just over the hill and should retire.

The same was Belfort beat Hollyfield. I doubt any boxing fan says "wow...that mystique is damaged." They probably just think Hollyfield shouldn't fight anymore. Same with Woodley.

As for Silva, he's prolonging the inevitable. He's boxing recently and doing okay but he's going to fight someone who is younger, more durable and will make him look like a fool. Does it hurt his legacy? Nah, he's 47 in april but it does make him look foolish for not stopping. Same with woodley.

As for GSP, Khabib and guys like that. Few guys leave on top. What they did is rare, not the norm.

Reactions: canucklover123

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Silva lost his 3rd mma fight, he wasn't undefeated.

I think certain guys have a different mystique. Khabib is undefeated and no one he fought came close. GSP has lost, Woodley has lost, Silva has lost, etc... well before their expiry date.

Khabib also left at a relatively young age. GSP losing tomorrow isn't the same as Khabib losing tomorrow.

Woodley was never some super GOAT status fighter. Losing at 39(soon to be 40) doesn't scream "OH NO HIS LEGACY". I shrug, I know he's just over the hill and should retire.

The same was Belfort beat Hollyfield. I doubt any boxing fan says "wow...that mystique is damaged." They probably just think Hollyfield shouldn't fight anymore. Same with Woodley.

As for Silva, he's prolonging the inevitable. He's boxing recently and doing okay but he's going to fight someone who is younger, more durable and will make him look like a fool. Does it hurt his legacy? Nah, he's 47 in april but it does make him look foolish for not stopping. Same with woodley.

As for GSP, Khabib and guys like that. Few guys leave on top. What they did is rare, not the norm.

That's the point. Some left still dominating their division, others just stuck around too long and lost that status.
Fedor is a great example...the undisputed GOAT. Just an unbeatable fighter, but then loses 3 in a row, and gone is that status.
Nobody is calling them chumps, but it definitely diminished their status.

A guy like Woodley is worse, he lost 6 fights in a row including getting KOd by a tiktok "star".

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
That's the point. Some left still dominating their division, others just stuck around too long and lost that status.
Fedor is a great example...the undisputed GOAT. Just an unbeatable fighter, but then loses 3 in a row, and gone is that status.
Nobody is calling them chumps, but it definitely diminished their status.

A guy like Woodley is worse, he lost 6 fights in a row including getting KOd by a tiktok "star".
Fedor was great but he also missed out fighting many of the best. Would've been great to see him in the UFC.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL

What are you saying about Masvidal? He's a great fighter. Used to fight bare knuckle as well during his early years. Worked his ass off to make it to the top. His standup is waaaay better than Woodley.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What are you saying about Masvidal? He's a great fighter. Used to fight bare knuckle as well during his early years. Worked his ass off to make it to the top. His standup is waaaay better than Woodley.

It is, but he’s a lot older than Paul as well and he’s also giving up a pile of weight.

One things for sure though, Masvidal won’t just stand there for 6 rounds not throwing. He’s probably going to swarm and Paul is going to panic. :laugh:

Deebs

Feb 5, 2014
There were no good heavyweights in the UFC when Fedor was at his peak. Basically Tim Sylvia. The interesting fight would have been with Randy Couture.
Randy, Mir, Cain, Lesnar, Carwin... There were guys he didn't fight while he was in his early 30's that would've been great to watch.

Reactions: MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I mean, they're all elite fighters so ya, he's great. But if we compare with the rest of his class.. he's just not that great. He had his 15min of fame.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Randy, Mir, Cain, Lesnar, Carwin... There were guys he didn't fight while he was in his early 30's that would've been great to watch.

Mir would have been easy for Fedor. I'm not sure when Fedor hit the wall, I guess with his first major loss to Werdum, who was a tough out, but I think no better than Nog in his prime. Clearly, Pride fighting was a great venue for Fedor who was a master of ground and pound, which is not as effective in the cage without the threat of stomps. The other thing is that Fedor was not a big heavyweight and could have probably fought at LHW. There are a few Pride fighters that simply fought outside of their weight class for many years, so we're not sure exactly what their true potential was (I'm thinking about Sakuraba mainly).

In short, Fedor was great in Pride when MMA was still developing and when single martial arts were still dominant. He would have little chance against the new class of truly mixed martial arts who train 24/7. Fedor was always close to losing many fights he won because he was highly erratic.

Reactions: Deebs

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I mean, they're all elite fighters so ya, he's great. But if we compare with the rest of his class.. he's just not that great. He had his 15min of fame.

Come on, he had more than 15 min. I knew about him when he fought that dude in the Kimbo video, and then had a bunch of great fights in the UFC. This diminishment is unnecessary and I think he would clown Paul because unlike Woodley, who relied on lay and pray, Jorge is a fearless brawler.

Deebs

Feb 5, 2014
Come on, he had more than 15 min. I knew about him when he fought that dude in the Kimbo video, and then had a bunch of great fights in the UFC. This diminishment is unnecessary and I think he would clown Paul because unlike Woodley, who relied on lay and pray, Jorge is a fearless brawler.
Jorge doesn't have any boxing training and it's such a massive difference when you put the pillows on. I think he and most UFC fighters would lose a boxing match to Jake Paul unfortunately and Paul is a garbage boxer....in the grand scheme of things.

It would be the same if a boxer fought a MMA match. It's lights out.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I guarantee most MMA fighters train in boxing. There was a big shift in MMA when fighters learned submission defense, which increased the value of stand up skills. Gone are the days when grapplers/submission artists could dominate fights. It means a lot of fights that used to be decided on the ground are now decided on the feet. Woodley is a stalky, short armed, grappler who gave up 20-30 pounds, reach and height. End of story. He's not representative of MMA fighters trained in stand up with decent reach. Masvidal would destroy Woodley in a pure stand up fight. A lot of good stand up guys are neutralized by the threat of takedowns. Once that is removed, guys like Masvidal can let their hands go. Check out the Kimbo video. Masvidal has good stand up and beat up someone substantially heavier if I recall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad