OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing - Round XII

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Most likely Justin next yeah

But that was not the last Oliveira v. Poirier fight imo

Hard to say, Poirier will likely need 2 more wins to get back in the title picture and by that point Oliveira may or may not be holding the belt.

I think Oliveira will beat Gaethje, but he’s going to need to stop this bravado of trying to strike with these animals in the first round. Chandler and Poirier both nearly finished him, and Gaethje is the best striker at 155.

The biggest test for Charles will be Makhachev. As for Poirier, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go for a money fight at 170 against Diaz or another Conor fight. If he wants to get back in the LW belt picture I think he may fight the loser of the Dariush/Makhachev fight or maybe Chandler.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Hard to say, Poirier will likely need 2 more wins to get back in the title picture and by that point Oliveira may or may not be holding the belt.

I think Oliveira will beat Gaethje, but he’s going to need to stop this bravado of trying to strike with these animals in the first round. Chandler and Poirier both nearly finished him, and Gaethje is the best striker at 155.

The biggest test for Charles will be Makhachev. As for Poirier, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go for a money fight at 170 against Diaz or another Conor fight. If he wants to get back in the LW belt picture I think he may fight the loser of the Dariush/Makhachev fight or maybe Chandler.

Poirier will fight Chandler next, I think it's a certainty
But I would love to see a REAL rubber match vs Connor tho, that 3rd fight was a complete bust unfortunately

And I agree, Oloveira will have to be REALLL careful vs Gaethje

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I can't believe Oliveira did it... I never believed in him, but he's good, I have to give him credit. He needs to work on his head movements and avoid the striking with guys like Chandler, Poirier and Justin, because he's getting dropped a lot... :thumbu:

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Most likely Justin next yeah

But that was not the last Oliveira v. Poirier fight imo

I don't think DP fights for another title. Tough loss but Oliviera beat him quicker than Khabib and was as dominant on the ground. No need to see it again.

I'm also of the mind Justin has very little shot at dethroning the champ based on his Khabib performance

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't think DP fights for another title. Tough loss but Oliviera beat him quicker than Khabib and was as dominant on the ground. No need to see it again.

I'm also of the mind Justin has very little shot at dethroning the champ based on his Khabib performance

I think he might go up a division to get a title shot. Usman has no one of interest left. DP moves up, beats one of the top 5 and he’s in line IMO.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I think he might go up a division to get a title shot. Usman has no one of interest left. DP moves up, beats one of the top 5 and he’s in line IMO.

Not sure DP can be a title contender at WW. What makes him so dangerous at LW is the volume of punches and the power he can put behind them, he is likely to lose a little bit of volume from the heavier weight and also his power will be less effective on physically larger guys.

I love DP, he’s probably my favourite fighter but I don’t think he can make any real noise moving up other than a money fight with Nate (which he will win) or a money fight with Colby (which he likely loses).

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

In terms of overall tools, Gaethje isn’t as good as Poirier so I think you’re right that he doesn’t have much to offer Oliveira. That said, like I said earlier in the thread if Olives walks in the first round with the same gameplan he had against Chandler and Poirier, I think Gaethje knocks his head off. He needs to get the fight to the ground a lot quicker or he’s playing with fire again.

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
In terms of overall tools, Gaethje isn’t as good as Poirier so I think you’re right that he doesn’t have much to offer Oliveira. That said, like I said earlier in the thread if Olives walks in the first round with the same gameplan he had against Chandler and Poirier, I think Gaethje knocks his head off. He needs to get the fight to the ground a lot quicker or he’s playing with fire again.

Gaethje as one thing over Poirier : More power and 1 shot KO ability

If he tags Oliveira the same way Poirier did in the 1st round of their fight saturday it could be a long night for Charles

But aside from that i agree. Poirier is better than Gathje pretty much everywhere except power so i would favor Oliveira

V13

Sep 21, 2005
Just wanted to add...i'm not a big fan of Poirier vs Diaz nor Oliveira wanting to fight Conor. I know those are money fights but...meh. Poirier should fight Chandler and Oliveira vs Gaethje imho. Neither Conor nor Diaz should be anywhere close to fight top contenders based on their recent records. But money talks so......

That said book Chimaev against someone ffs. Dude is ready to fight and doesn't understand why he doesn't have a fight scheduled yet. Magny is down to fight him and Khamzat is also down to fight him but the UFC doesn't seem to like that idea very much for some reason.

UNLEASH THE BORZ !!!!

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Just wanted to add...i'm not a big fan of Poirier vs Diaz nor Oliveira wanting to fight Conor. I know those are money fights but...meh. Poirier should fight Chandler and Oliveira vs Gaethje imho. Neither Conor nor Diaz should be anywhere close to fight top contenders based on their recent records. But money talks so......

That said book Chimaev against someone ffs. Dude is ready to fight and doesn't understand why he doesn't have a fight scheduled yet. Magny is down to fight him and Khamzat is also down to fight him but the UFC doesn't seem to like that idea very much for some reason.

UNLEASH THE BORZ !!!!

I’m with ya on it. I don’t think Oliveira-Conor will be a thing, at least not yet anyways. He’s definitely going to have to fight Gaethje next. I think Poirier will end up fighting Diaz next though, even though I too would prefer to see Chandler.

It’s the fight to make, really. If Chandler can get through Poirier he proves he’s worthy of another title shot, and he has a boatload on the line. Can’t imagine he gets back in the title picture at 35-36 with a 1-3 record in the UFC.

As for Borz, yeah we need him back in the ring asap. The fight with Magny makes sense

Reactions: V13

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yes, but they're all concentrated in the lower bowl, no?
I just find it odd that they allows fans at all, after an empty hockey game.

Habs went beyond requirements. Don't know if seating was more spread for the fight but restrictions only come in effect Monday so they didn't even had to take any action to be compliant.

V13

Sep 21, 2005
Black Beast fighting in the main event (im a fan of the guy) , Wonderboy co main vs Belial and Cub on the card tonight. Not too bad for a free fight night

Oh and the freakshow that is Woodley vs Paul 2

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes, but they're all concentrated in the lower bowl, no?
I just find it odd that they allows fans at all, after an empty hockey game.

No restrictions on crowd size for tonight's card at the Bell Centre. WTF???

Something is not right here.

It starts Monday, I was at the fight. Everyone was in lower bowl, no spacing.

When I entered the bell center guy asked me for my vaccine passport and ID. I showed passport and he forgot about my ID. I had to remind him.

The rule was everyone had to keep mask on at all times apart from when when you eat or drink. Most people respected this rule but there were a few who didnt wear a mask for a long duration but the ones I saw I can count on my fingers.

I saw Ducharme as well, at least I'm 99.9% sure it was him. He was getting a drink at a concession stand which was odd given I figured habs would put him somewhere private like a lodge.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Lol jesus christ Tyron

I'd never show my face again, that was embarrassing, and awfully boring til the kill shot

Paul v Fury should be more interesting, Paul v Masvidal would be something I'd definitely watch if it ever happened but Jake dude... you dont want NO PART of Diaz man..

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Lol jesus christ Tyron

I'd never show my face again, that was embarrassing, and awfully boring til the kill shot

Paul v Fury should be more interesting, Paul v Masvidal would be something I'd definitely watch if it ever happened but Jake dude... you dont want NO PART of Diaz man..
Masvidal would smoke Paul even though he's 30 lb lighter. He is the far more technical boxer. Not sure if Nate has the power to dominate Paul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad