General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
His only strategy was to make all the PPV buyers happy and make it go 8+ rounds. It would be like me playing Jordan Spieth in a 9 hole game. Yeah sure, I have a chance, I'll hit a few fairways.. but if I'm in it after 4 holes its because he is playing with just his putter.

Anyways , I guess the fans got what they wanted and thats all that mattered. I never paid for it so difference to me.

I agree with this.

Yes CM did better than anyone could of expected and I am sure he surprised Floyd with his competence. But Floyd was never in danger during the fight.

Even when he took CM's bombs they didn't even faze FM.

CM did a great job out there, but so did FM as he put on a real show and made it an exciting 10 round fight. Put CM in there with a younger top ranked boxer who is hungry to end it and I bet CM goes down a lot quicker. I doubt another boxer would throw 6 and 9 punch's the first 2 rounds like FM did.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
His only strategy was to make all the PPV buyers happy and make it go 8+ rounds. It would be like me playing Jordan Spieth in a 9 hole game. Yeah sure, I have a chance, I'll hit a few fairways.. but if I'm in it after 4 holes its because he is playing with just his putter.

Anyways , I guess the fans got what they wanted and thats all that mattered. I never paid for it so difference to me.

I don't get this. FM did promise to make this better than Manny fight. It wasn't because it would go 10 rounds or 12 rounds. It was because he said he wouldn't go full on defensive. FM kept his word and it made for an entertaining fight as a result.

Floyd already altered his trademark style for the good of the fans and likely wasn't at his best because of it...but now he also decided to let it go 10 rounds for fun?

It's the same thing as a hockey game. We could beat a team and never be in danger of losing but it doesn't mean we 'toyed' with him. It just means we were the superior team.

Floyd is the superior boxer, that simple. It doesn't mean CM can't have a good round or two, just like it means a team can't have a good shift or period vs a superior team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I agree with this.

Yes CM did better than anyone could of expected and I am sure he surprised Floyd with his competence. But Floyd was never in danger during the fight.

CM did a great job out there, but so did FM as he put on a real show and made it an exciting 10 round fight. Put CM in there with a younger top ranked boxer who is hungry to end it and I bet CM goes down a lot quicker. I doubt another boxer would throw 6 and 9 punch's the first 2 rounds like FM did.

I think it's obvious that CM vs a younger elite fighter would've ended quicker. That's why CM chose FM because he's not known as a power puncher and he's no longer in his prime. I'm not what it has to do with this fight though? When CM goes after any of those younger guys(foolishly so I might add) then we'll worry about it, for now he faced FM.

Don't be shocked if he faces Paulie next just for the pay day and easier fight. PM may be a decent boxer but he's no Canelo, GGG, etc... so it's a simple payday for another out of prime boxer.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So Phelps challenged CM to a swimming race LOL.

Ya it was in jest. But I could imagine the reaction after the race if Conor kept up for 1 or 2 laps because Phelps was holding back.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Have to respectfully disagree.

FM was up against a bigger, stronger, more powerful opponent of whom he had absoutely no kowledge of his boxing style and tendencies. He allowed CM to throw early and often to gain information and to sap his power and stamina.

FM fights to win by minimizing his chances of losing. This was a unique opponent for him and he applied the appropriate strategy to win the fight.

There were no silly conspiracies.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I don't get this. FM did promise to make this better than Manny fight. It wasn't because it would go 10 rounds or 12 rounds. It was because he said he wouldn't go full on defensive. FM kept his word and it made for an entertaining fight as a result.

Floyd already altered his trademark style for the good of the fans and likely wasn't at his best because of it...but now he also decided to let it go 10 rounds for fun?

It's the same thing as a hockey game. We could beat a team and never be in danger of losing but it doesn't mean we 'toyed' with him. It just means we were the superior team.

Floyd is the superior boxer, that simple. It doesn't mean CM can't have a good round or two, just like it means a team can't have a good shift or period vs a superior team.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but this was about as real as a WWE matchup, it was just a spectacle.. that's it. Obviously people were ok with that.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Have to respectfully disagree.

FM was up against a bigger, stronger, more powerful opponent of whom he had absoutely no kowledge of his boxing style and tendencies. He allowed CM to throw early and often to gain information and to sap his power and stamina.

FM fights to win by minimizing his chances of losing. This was a unique opponent for him and he applied the appropriate strategy to win the fight.

There were no silly conspiracies.

I'm not going to say your opinion is wrong, and mine is 100% right, I'll save that for the hockey season lol

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I agree with this.

CM did not land any "bombs".

He did land a nasty body shot, but the head shots were all arm.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Ya it was in jest. But I could imagine the reaction after the race if Conor kept up for 1 or 2 laps because Phelps was holding back.

A fight in a swimming pool would make more sense.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

And then you say you respect CM's skills...:biglaugh:
At least don't lie about it man.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

It's really cool that you compare yourself to a 2 division Champion of MMA...
Ya sure, it's the exact same thing buddy..:biglaugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In the first round he got a nice uppercut and jab in. Once he took those shots and it didn't faze FM you knew it was over.
I knew it was over before it even started, that's not the point.

You're saying FM purposely let CM get punches in to make a spectacle out of it. That's just not the case and FM even said so himself. And it's not because he didn't want to admit it as he also said he absolutely wanted to put on show.
But putting on a show doesn't equate eating flush uppercuts or hooks.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
It's really cool that you compare yourself to a 2 division Champion of MMA...
Ya sure, it's the exact same thing buddy..:biglaugh:

Put CM against an active pro boxer, near the same age as him.. and he doesn't land a single punch, not one. Put him against FM and he lands what Floyd gives him, nothing more.. nothing shocking there.

Also I compared scenarios, not me vs CM.. thought that was obvious. I went to school on a golf scholorship, I can hold my own on the golf course and played with a lot of pros in my golf days. Thats why I made the comparison, nothing more.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Put CM against an active pro boxer, near the same age as him.. and he doesn't land a single punch, not one. Put him against FM and he lands what Floyd gives him, nothing more.. nothing shocking there.

Also I compared scenarios, not me vs CM.. thought that was obvious. I went to school on a golf scholorship, I can hold my own on the golf course and played with a lot of pros in my golf days. Thats why I made the comparison, nothing more.

Are you making a career out of using some golfing skills? I'm sorry, not a career, have you one of the most elite performers in your industry using some golf? Because CM is arguably the best in MMA and he uses boxing in every fight.
I do not get the need to simply diminish what CM did. You really have nothing to back up this idea of yours. Nothing.

You think he doesn't land one single punch against any active pro boxer? Lol...Ya okay there buddy.

CM wasn't going to win vs FM. He also wasn't going to the distance. I said that before the fight even started. This isn't about me as a fan, I really do not care about MMA as much as I used to so I really do not even have any type of attachment to fighters anymore. Don't care about Jon Jones, CM, Velasquez, JDS, Wideman or whoever else.
But this idea that CM is useless and is so bad as a boxer that he wouldn't land one punch on the worse active boxer out there is beyond ridiculous and laughable.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Are you making a career out of using some golfing skills? I'm sorry, not a career, have you one of the most elite performers in your industry using some golf? Because CM is arguably the best in MMA and he uses boxing in every fight.
I do not get the need to simply diminish what CM did. You really have nothing to back up this idea of yours. Nothing.

But what exactly did CM do? He didn't land 'much' and FM danced around with his gloves up for 6 rounds.
They put on a show, made a ton of money, and thats it.

You think he doesn't land one single punch against any active pro boxer? Lol...Ya okay there buddy.

No, I really believe he gets put down in the first round, unless he pulls a FM and runs around with his hand up doesn't box back. What I meant was, he doesn't land anything of significance, nothing thats going to worry a real boxer that's in the fight.

CM wasn't going to win vs FM. He also wasn't going to the distance. I said that before the fight even started. This isn't about me as a fan, I really do not care about MMA as much as I used to so I really do not even have any type of attachment to fighters anymore. Don't care about Jon Jones, CM, Velasquez, JDS, Wideman or whoever else.

I mean, this is what I was saying.

But this idea that CM is useless and is so bad as a boxer that he wouldn't land one punch on the worse active boxer out there is beyond ridiculous and laughable.

His boxing skills are awful. He can throw a punch, land a ton of punches against fellow MMA guys, but technically ... awful on a boxing level. Sorry, but its true. Most MMA guys are not going to be good boxers because it takes so many years to refine the skill, and they are working on so many other aspects like wrestling, BJJ etc. There isn't enough time.

Again, just my opinion, don't let it ruin your day, hockey is coming and we will have more important things to disagree about.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I knew it was over before it even started, that's not the point.

You're saying FM purposely let CM get punches in to make a spectacle out of it. That's just not the case and FM even said so himself. And it's not because he didn't want to admit it as he also said he absolutely wanted to put on show.
But putting on a show doesn't equate eating flush uppercuts or hooks.

Go check the score card thats all you need to do. CM landed 25% of his punches and FM was like 50%. He there 28 punches the 1st 3 rounds! Most boxers throw 30-50 punches in 1 round. He wasn't even trying those first 3 rounds.

FM turned the jets on in the 4th and there was no going back. I give Conor credit for hanging in there and staying on his feet till the end but once FM decided to go to work it was done. Thats not on Conor, no one can expect him to be a pro boxer.

Every one else I have talked to or read on this fight has the same opinion as me. FM carried the fight and it was more spectacle and WWE than a pro boxing match.

You even said you knew it was over before it began so I am not sure what you are debating about?

Even though you falsly have said it over and over again I do respect Conor and think he is a great fighter and athlete, just he isn't a boxer. This fight was a glorified sparring match designed to separate marks from their money and it did an amazing job. FM shouldn't be claiming 50-0 on this either IMO. From the onset it was never going to be a real competitive boxing match and even you knew it. Kudos to Conor for stepping in the ring and managing to last 10 rounds.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
But what exactly did CM do? He didn't land 'much' and FM danced around with his gloves up for 6 rounds.
They put on a show, made a ton of money, and thats it.

No, I really believe he gets put down in the first round, unless he pulls a FM and runs around with his hand up doesn't box back. What I meant was, he doesn't land anything of significance, nothing thats going to worry a real boxer that's in the fight.

I mean, this is what I was saying.

His boxing skills are awful. He can throw a punch, land a ton of punches against fellow MMA guys, but technically ... awful on a boxing level. Sorry, but its true. Most MMA guys are not going to be good boxers because it takes so many years to refine the skill, and they are working on so many other aspects like wrestling, BJJ etc. There isn't enough time.

Again, just my opinion, don't let it ruin your day, hockey is coming and we will have more important things to disagree about.

Thats whats getting lost in the debate. I said it before, on average a Boxer will be better at punching within the confines of a BOXING MATCH under BOXING RULES and better at taking punches than an MMA fighter.

Its simple, if all you train is your punches and techniques, and all you do is get hit over and over with punches then you will be better at those things than someone who trains boxing, kicking, wrestling, submissions, etc...

This fight proved it. CM landed a few shots and it was like FM was being tapped on the shoulder. BOXERS are meant to take 100's of punches over 12 rounds. Same with his punches. Once FM decided to turn it on that was the end for Connor he couldn't survive getting hit over and over again. In MMA you might take a few shots, but then you have kicks and grappling to break it up. Boxing its just punch after punch.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Thats whats getting lost in the debate. I said it before, on average a Boxer will be better at punching within the confines of a BOXING MATCH under BOXING RULES and better at taking punches than an MMA fighter.

Its simple, if all you train is your punches and techniques, and all you do is get hit over and over with punches then you will be better at those things than someone who trains boxing, kicking, wrestling, submissions, etc...

This fight proved it. CM landed a few shots and it was like FM was being tapped on the shoulder. BOXERS are meant to take 100's of punches over 12 rounds. Same with his punches. Once FM decided to turn it on that was the end for Connor he couldn't survive getting hit over and over again. In MMA you might take a few shots, but then you have kicks and grappling to break it up. Boxing its just punch after punch.

Stop agreeing with me or we won't be arguing over Pacioretty this season and it will be dull around here.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I see Jon Jones passed his drug test the day of the fight, but failed it after the weigh in. Interesting. Joe Rogan talked about what Jon has been using and it's a new drug that has a very short life in your body. A quick hitter of energy that leaves you within hours of taking it.

Another great story was from Chael Sonnen about how Jon hid underneath the ring for an entire day while the testers were waiting for him, ringside, lol. Classic

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Stop agreeing with me or we won't be arguing over Pacioretty this season and it will be dull around here.

Don't worry I will be ready to go at in regards to Max :laugh::laugh:

But common ground can sometimes be found.

Maybe Conor should try hockey next. We can use a good C. At least the box office for Mr Molson would be big.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Opinion-MMAs-20Million-Dollar-Man-126579

Nate is reportedly willing to go for a part III with Conor as long as the UFC gives him 20 millions. That's a lot of money to buy pot with ! It would probably be worth it though, they've done great business together.

Its funny Nate thinks he is that much of a draw to command those sort of numbers. Personally I was done with the entire Diaz thing after the last fight.

I envision a GSP /CM fight in the next year though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Its funny Nate thinks he is that much of a draw to command those sort of numbers. Personally I was done with the entire Diaz thing after the last fight.

I envision a GSP /CM fight in the next year though.

Well their two fights really did do great business for the UFC but it wasn't just on Nate's drawing power alone obviously. My main problem with it is that it would put another belt on hold, with none of the actual challengers getting opportunities to fight for it. If it's going to be like that then just take the belt off Conor and let him do super fights and freak show fights against whoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad