General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
As I mentioned we have seen a shot maywhaether yesterday. Actualy Floyd is not at his prime since at least 5 years... if you have followed his carreer you will be agree.

The fight was about a MMA fighter against a 40 yr old boxer, in a boxing match. All things considered.

Of course a prime Floyd would have destroyed a MMA fighter in a boxing match. I think everybody knows that but that's not what the fight was about.

It's like saying Mcgregor would have destroyed Mayweather if it was in an octagon.. but it wasn't.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have seen 30 fights maybe of Floyd and let tell me you this... we have seen a shot maywheather yesterday.......far far of a prime Floyd. His speed is now maybe half at it used to be. Watch the gatti fight in 2005 or hatton in 2008.... A 32 years old Floyd would have destroyed Conor inside of 3 rounds. Even in 2015 vs PAC man....man floyd was shot.

His combinaisons are simply not there anymore. Speed is the most important thing in boxing and no human being is as explosive at 40 years old ...even Floyd.

Conner may have waited for FM to age and deteriorate like FM waited for Manny and Dela Hoya to do same. ;)

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
As I mentioned we have seen a shot maywhaether yesterday. Actualy Floyd is not at his prime since at least 5 years... if you have followed his carreer you will be agree.

Mayweather was moving like Tyson the whole fight, just walking flat-footed towards his opponent. He wasn't concerned about McGregor's "power" at all. If you've watched a lot of boxing, you know that for a guy his size, Connor's power is very average. A bunch of boxers in that weight category are far more powerful punchers. Floyd would never fight like that against them.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Mayweather toyed with CM. CM had no chance and certainly didn't beat himself. FM is a shell of his former self and still flipped his usual MO and attacked aggressively as the fight went on. Knowing full well CM couldn't do anything about it.
CM ran his mouth to sell the fight. Good on him. Made a ton of $ for both fighters. But that's a couple Ls in his last few fights while running the smack train. Its starting to ring hollow.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Mayweather was moving like Tyson the whole fight, just walking flat-footed towards his opponent. He wasn't concerned about McGregor's "power" at all. If you've watched a lot of boxing, you know that for a guy his size, Connor's power is very average. A bunch of boxers in that weight category are far more powerful punchers. Floyd would never fight like that against them.

Mayweather toyed with CM. CM had no chance and certainly didn't beat himself. FM is a shell of his former self and still flipped his usual MO and attacked aggressively as the fight went on. Knowing full well CM couldn't do anything about it.
CM ran his mouth to sell the fight. Good on him. Made a ton of $ for both fighters. But that's a couple Ls in his last few fights while running the smack train. Its starting to ring hollow.

Truth.

There is no doubt that Connor has some skills but he'd need years of training to even compete with the top boxers his size/age.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

To have a guy who's never step foot in a boxing ring stick around that long and do that well is a testament to Conor and all MMA fighters really. True professional fighters that can adapt to most situations. They aren't one dimensional like boxers, who wouldn't know what to do with themselves in a cage or anywhere outside of a boxing ring. They are extremely specialized athletes.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
To have a guy who's never step foot in a boxing ring stick around that long and do that well is a testament to Conor and all MMA fighters really. True professional fighters that can adapt to most situations. They aren't one dimensional like boxers, who wouldn't know what to do with themselves in a cage or anywhere outside of a boxing ring. They are extremely specialized athletes.
Or its a testament to FM letting him hang around ;) He stuck around not because of his boxing skill level or that he is a true professional fighter that can adapt, but because FM hardly even threw a punch the first 10 min.
They put on a show. Drew the masses in. Entertained people and made 50 lifetimes worth of bank.

I agree FM would be a fish outta water in a MMA ring. But that isn't where the were. CM shot his mouth of to sell the fight ( good on him) but he couldn't back it up. No biggie. But lets not kid ourselves and say he did a great job.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

I believe Money went easy with McGregor at first. In the 2nd half his counters were much faster more reminiscent of the old FM.

What next for Mcgregor? Would love to see a fight vs Nurmagomedov.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I believe Money went easy with McGregor at first. In the 2nd half his counters were much faster more reminiscent of the old FM.

I'm hearing and reading a lot of conflicting opinions right now, nobody seems to know what he'll be doing next. The one thing that is for sure is that his price has gone way up after last night. If the UFC wants him they'll have to give him significantly more than they were already giving him to fight. With Bones Jones being gone for a potentially very long time they need him and he knows it. That belt needs to be defended soon in any case and Nurmagomedov absolutely deserves a shot. They might have to create another interim champion just to keep things moving. Conor specifically called out Diaz for a 3rd fight but who knows with those two.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Absolutely....The Russian Bear in Moscow would be awesome or Diaz 3 I thinking

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. I don't think Mayweather toyed with McGregor 'just to give more rounds for the fans'. Fans would've rather see a KO happen sooner. I don't think it was fixed either, nor do I think Mayweather give Conor rounds for fun.

IMO Conor came out swinging and while the Mayweather camp probably anticipated it I think Floyd was surprised Conor had a few good tricks/counters in him as well. Mayweather's decision to bury his head into Conor's chest was a tactic to get on the inside and fatigue Conor even more. The reality was Conor's game required a certain distance or gap to be effective and the more fatigue set in, the harder it was to maintain it. As Conor became more fatigued Mayweather challenged him more. Of course, he became used to his pace by now as well. Some guys also said Conor's hitting power wasn't effective in a boxing ring either which mayweather probably realized as well.

In the end it was only a matter of time but I do believe Conor earned the rounds he got and Floyd beat him with experience and conditioning. It should also be said that Mayweather wasn't playing his usual game either, he would've been more effective otherwise.

Now some say "Conor would've been destroyed against a prime fighter" and they're right...that's why he wasn't facing a prime hard hitting fighter, he picked Floyd. You can say what you want about CM but he chose the biggest draw and the least likely threat to have him on his ass early. Paulie Malignaggi recognized this as well saying he could be a prime target for Conor to have a fight with hype without facing one of the fighters who are in their prime.

It's a new sport and as much as Conor can do well in the octagon it was unlikely he'd beat the best in another different sport. You have to pick your battles and vets on the decline/retired former champs are probably the best place to start and earn money.

I maintain that this was the best case scenario for both sports. Conor looked competitive in spurts and Mayweather won cementing his legacy and not embarrassing boxing. The fight could lead to more MMA/Boxing crossovers in the future and quite frankly I'm disappointed they went with a full boxing card. I would've loved if they had other MMA/Boxing fights albeit at lower levels.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I'm hearing and reading a lot of conflicting opinions right now, nobody seems to know what he'll be doing next. The one thing that is for sure is that his price has gone way up after last night. If the UFC wants him they'll have to give him significantly more than they were already giving him to fight. With Bones Jones being gone for a potentially very long time they need him and he knows it. That belt needs to be defended soon in any case and Nurmagomedov absolutely deserves a shot. They might have to create another interim champion just to keep things moving. Conor specifically called out Diaz for a 3rd fight but who knows with those two.

After getting a +100m paycheck for arguably the easiest fight of his career I'm sure he will ask for a lot. GSP will help fill the gap left by Jones but I'm sure he did not come cheap either. At the end of the day, gotta pay the stars what they are worth. Remaining fighters will continue to earn peanuts until perhaps a proper union is former.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Or its a testament to FM letting him hang around ;) He stuck around not because of his boxing skill level or that he is a true professional fighter that can adapt, but because FM hardly even threw a punch the first 10 min.
They put on a show. Drew the masses in. Entertained people and made 50 lifetimes worth of bank.

I agree FM would be a fish outta water in a MMA ring. But that isn't where the were. CM shot his mouth of to sell the fight ( good on him) but he couldn't back it up. No biggie. But lets not kid ourselves and say he did a great job.

If FM could have took CM out in the first , fourth or seventh round he sure as hell would have.

FM has never been concerned about "putting on a show" ....anyone who watched the Manny fight (and countless other yawner FM fights) knows that.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. I don't think Mayweather toyed with McGregor 'just to give more rounds for the fans'. Fans would've rather see a KO happen sooner. I don't think it was fixed either, nor do I think Mayweather give Conor rounds for fun.

IMO Conor came out swinging and while the Mayweather camp probably anticipated it I think Floyd was surprised Conor had a few good tricks/counters in him as well. Mayweather's decision to bury his head into Conor's chest was a tactic to get on the inside and fatigue Conor even more. The reality was Conor's game required a certain distance or gap to be effective and the more fatigue set in, the harder it was to maintain it. As Conor became more fatigued Mayweather challenged him more. Of course, he became used to his pace by now as well. Some guys also said Conor's hitting power wasn't effective in a boxing ring either which mayweather probably realized as well.

In the end it was only a matter of time but I do believe Conor earned the rounds he got and Floyd beat him with experience and conditioning. It should also be said that Mayweather wasn't playing his usual game either, he would've been more effective otherwise.

Now some say "Conor would've been destroyed against a prime fighter" and they're right...that's why he wasn't facing a prime hard hitting fighter, he picked Floyd. You can say what you want about CM but he chose the biggest draw and the least likely threat to have him on his ass early. Paulie Malignaggi recognized this as well saying he could be a prime target for Conor to have a fight with hype without facing one of the fighters who are in their prime.

It's a new sport and as much as Conor can do well in the octagon it was unlikely he'd beat the best in another different sport. You have to pick your battles and vets on the decline/retired former champs are probably the best place to start and earn money.

I maintain that this was the best case scenario for both sports. Conor looked competitive in spurts and Mayweather won cementing his legacy and not embarrassing boxing. The fight could lead to more MMA/Boxing crossovers in the future and quite frankly I'm disappointed they went with a full boxing card. I would've loved if they had other MMA/Boxing fights albeit at lower levels.

What a great post !

Nailed it.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Mayweather took Conners best shot early and shruged them off. A boxer's chin is stronger than that of an MMA guy, and a boxer's punches are more powerful.

Mayweather carried Conner and let him not look embarrased.

OTOH Mayweather is a fraud claiming he is 50-0 after this sparring session. I don't doubt May is up there as far as GOAT goes, but claiming the 50-0 title on this fight seems disingenious.

But Boxing isn't some saint of a sport and has probably had bigger clown shows then this.

Overall though it was fun to see it is somewhat embarrassing that boxing's biggest showcase and draw was to watch a 40 year old spar with a novice in his first pro fight.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Mayweather took Conners best shot early and shruged them off. A boxer's chin is stronger than that of an MMA guy, and a boxer's punches are more powerful.

Mayweather carried Conner and let him not look embarrased.

OTOH Mayweather is a fraud claiming he is 50-0 after this sparring session. I don't doubt May is up there as far as GOAT goes, but claiming the 50-0 title on this fight seems disingenious.

But Boxing isn't some saint of a sport and has probably had bigger clown shows then this.

Overall though it was fun to see it is somewhat embarrassing that boxing's biggest showcase and draw was to watch a 40 year old spar with a novice in his first pro fight.

I think it's all relative. Many of the attending boxers felt Conor lacked a pop in his punch. This isn't because of him not being as powerful of a puncher as most boxers, it's because of the stance you take. I'm no expert but it was said in MMA fighters lunge forward for a punch more and transfer the weight differently than a boxing match. If boxers were in MMA territory with hammerfists and kicks to the head I wonder how strong they could take a hit then. Different sport.

How did Mayweather carry Conor? What is the benefit of him doing so? It's a bigger story if he knocked Conor out sooner...not later.

The thing about Mayweather is 50-0 is just a number. The guy has fought championship level contenders his whole career. Some guys can inflate numbers by hiding under weaker competition, not Floyd. Not a big deal if he had one fight that wasn't the norm.

The fact a judge had it ranked 8-1 after 9 shows boxing is a corrupt sport. 8-1 is nonsensical. So yeah, I think boxing is a dying sport. For those who watched the event the arena was 100% dead the first 2 main card fights. The 3rd had some people only because they got early for the main event.:laugh:

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
I think it's all relative. Many of the attending boxers felt Conor lacked a pop in his punch. This isn't because of him not being as powerful of a puncher as most boxers, it's because of the stance you take. I'm no expert but it was said in MMA fighters lunge forward for a punch more and transfer the weight differently than a boxing match. If boxers were in MMA territory with hammerfists and kicks to the head I wonder how strong they could take a hit then. Different sport.

How did Mayweather carry Conor? What is the benefit of him doing so? It's a bigger story if he knocked Conor out sooner...not later.

The thing about Mayweather is 50-0 is just a number. The guy has fought championship level contenders his whole career. Some guys can inflate numbers by hiding under weaker competition, not Floyd. Not a big deal if he had one fight that wasn't the norm.

The fact a judge had it ranked 8-1 after 9 shows boxing is a corrupt sport. 8-1 is nonsensical. So yeah, I think boxing is a dying sport. For those who watched the event the arena was 100% dead the first 2 main card fights. The 3rd had some people only because they got early for the main event.:laugh:

Wrong. I don't know people always say this, especially after the McGregor/Mayweather fight. Maybe because people feel like boxing is threat to the UFC. It's not, it has been around for over a century. Both can co-exist.

Boxing may not be at its peak in terms of popularity but explain to me why if boxing is "dead", B and C class fighters make a lot more money than UFC fighers? As for boxing coverage, there is more boxing matches on TV than ever. Every few weeks, there is a fight on CBS, FOX, SHOWTIME, HBO, ESPN etc Why is it that whenever there is a boxing event held around the world (not just Vegas or New York) , London for Joshua/Klitschko had 90 000 people in attendance. Example #2: Terrance Crawford sold out his fight in his homestate (11 000+) and Crawford is not a household name. Example #3: Pacquiao vs Horn just had the most-watched boxing telecast in ESPN history. I can go on and on. So again, how is the sport dying?

It's one thing if you're not interested in the sport or don't follow it whatsoever for whatever reasons. For those that do, it is far from dying. If you go to some boxing gyms in Montreal, many of the group classes are completely packed.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Wrong. I don't know people always say this, especially after the McGregor/Mayweather fight. Maybe because people feel like boxing is threat to the UFC. It's not, it has been around for over a century. Both can co-exist.

I think Boxing is a dying sport. It's an opinion.

Not to mention it took an MMA fighter to make the biggest PPV ever. It didn't need to be an MMA guy, it was just about the spectacle of it, not the art of boxing.

I don't see why boxing would be a threat to the UFC though. The fact we're comparing one company to the entire sport of boxing means UFC will be okay.

Boxing may not be at its peak in terms of popularity but explain to me why if boxing is "dead", B and C class fighters make a lot more money than UFC fighers? As for boxing coverage, there is more boxing matches on TV than ever. Every few weeks, there is a fight on CBS, FOX, SHOWTIME, HBO, ESPN etc Why is it that whenever there is a boxing event held around the world (not just Vegas or New York) , London for Joshua/Klitschko had 90 000 people in attendance. Example #2: Terrance Crawford sold out his fight in his homestate (11 000+) and Crawford is not a household name. Example #3: Pacquiao vs Horn just had the most-watched boxing telecast in ESPN history. I can go on and on. So again, how is the sport dying?

I like how you say I'm wrong then throw a fact like the bolded. UFC fighters have wanted to create a union because they feel Dana White and company are exploiting them and not properly sharing revenue.

Even GSP has been part of the union's push. It will take time.

After Conor's last UFC fight he said "I'll fight again when they give me part ownership" because he knows they have money to spare.

You may be right about boxing having a strong fanbase and I'll have to concede that my one liner of 'I think boxing is dying' is very simplistic but in my opinion I anticipate boxing will eventually become 2nd to MMA in combat sports despite it's long history.

It's one thing if you're not interested in the sport or don't follow it whatsoever for whatever reasons. For those that do, it is far from dying. If you go to some boxing gyms in Montreal, many of the group classes are completely packed.

As I said many MMA fighters do boxing. McGregor himself was an amateur boxer. My argument isn't that people won't train in certain disciplines, mixed martial artists do boxing too...My point is I don't foresee it remaining #1 for long.

So sure, it won't crash and burn but I really don't see it getting more popular.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
People that haven't realized Floyd's only job was to make this gong show last at least 25 mins so the suckers could feel good about this purchase :facepalm:

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
I think Boxing is a dying sport. It's an opinion.

Not to mention it took an MMA fighter to make the biggest PPV ever. It didn't need to be an MMA guy, it was just about the spectacle of it, not the art of boxing.

I don't see why boxing would be a threat to the UFC though. The fact we're comparing one company to the entire sport of boxing means UFC will be okay.

I like how you say I'm wrong then throw a fact like the bolded. UFC fighters have wanted to create a union because they feel Dana White and company are exploiting them and not properly sharing revenue.

Even GSP has been part of the union's push. It will take time.

After Conor's last UFC fight he said "I'll fight again when they give me part ownership" because he knows they have money to spare.

You may be right about boxing having a strong fanbase and I'll have to concede that my one liner of 'I think boxing is dying' is very simplistic but in my opinion I anticipate boxing will eventually become 2nd to MMA in combat sports despite it's long history.

As I said many MMA fighters do boxing. McGregor himself was an amateur boxer. My argument isn't that people won't train in certain disciplines, mixed martial artists do boxing too...My point is I don't foresee it remaining #1 for long.

So sure, it won't crash and burn but I really don't see it getting more popular.

It is an opinion but I do find it funny that this is said countless times, right after the McGregor loss. That's the first thing my neighbour said to me on Sunday. We talk about the fight then all of sudden, "well boxing is dead anyways". It's like people just want to throw that out to make themselves feel good after the loss.

Even then, I brought up 1) boxing salary 2) boxing attendance worldwide 3) boxing on TV 4) training in boxing because the sport is doing well contrary to the belief that boxing is dying. As you said, with the involvement of boxing in MMA, with fighters like Cody Garbrandt, GSP training with Freddie Roach once again etc, boxing is far from dying. Even without this spectacle, boxing has had a great 2017.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It is an opinion but I do find it funny that this is said countless times, right after the McGregor loss. That's the first thing my neighbour said to me on Sunday. We talk about the fight then all of sudden, "well boxing is dead anyways". It's like people just want to throw that out to make themselves feel good after the loss.

Even then, I brought up 1) boxing salary 2) boxing attendance worldwide 3) boxing on TV 4) training in boxing because the sport is doing well contrary to the belief that boxing is dying. As you said, with the involvement of boxing in MMA, with fighters like Cody Garbrandt, GSP training with Freddie Roach once again etc, boxing is far from dying. Even without this spectacle, boxing has had a great 2017.

Oh it has nothing to do with McGregor loss. I never liked boxing.:laugh:

Like I said, boxing salary is because they get a bigger cut. People have blasted Dana white on this several times. It's like the salary cap being 20% of HRR in the NHL. UFC milks it big.

Like I said, boxing as a combat form will never die. Boxing is one of the most fundamental aspects of combat sports, hence the traditionalist nature of it.

Guys like McGregor will start to be paid more in the UFC, a lot more in order to evade them returning to boxing. Of course Conor did okay in his first go with 3-4 months training but when he faces a boxer in his prime he'll get smoked and the appeal will wear off. Hell, I bet if he returns his next opponent will have footage to use against him now only making him more predictable and less dangerous than he already is. So I'm unsure how much MMA and Boxing will cross. I'd like for it to cross when we could sell the unpredictable nature of it but once that wears off they should stick to their respective sports.

I don't know if Conor will attempt to be a 2 sport athlete but he will never have success in doing so. The reality is even his body type, conditioning, etc...will need to be different so it will be so difficult for him to swap back and forth.

If he's looking for history I would suggest he fights and beats Paulie, assuming he can. Then train to win a belt in boxing. I don't know the system but it doesn't need to be the best or most prestigious belt, just one so he could say "I'm a two sport champion, I'm chasing history" type of thing. Other than that, he shouldn't be a real full time boxer and he'll get paid more in the UFC now anyway.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I like MMA far more than boxing. Respect their talents. Love the entertainment. Have been hooked since before Dana n company brought the UFC to town and it was a novelty.

But I can honestly say FM toyed with him IMO. It was obvious. Once the washed up FM turned up the heat and started displaying his skill set it was no match. Floyd never chases and attacks with the passion he showed in the later rds. That clearly suggests he knew CM couldnt hurt him at that time.
FM and the boxing community had more to lose if he got caught by McGregor, than a CM. But yet he still thru caution to the wind, at 40 yrs old, with a 2yr layoff, totally contradicting his long held, conservative style, n attacked after giving Connor 10 min to try n catch him...
Floyd isn't a fav of mine, neither is the Irish big mouth. I like MMA way more. But this wasn't as close as people wanna believe. It was never in question. Was a show. A huge huge payday for both n they knew it.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I have no doubt this was a one time thing and Conor has no intention to return to boxing. It was just what it is- the biggest name in UFC against the biggest name in boxing.

He knows he'd get destroyed by the likes of Canelo or Triple G. There's no incentive for him to go after these guys. And that's not a knock on Conor, far from it, Mayweather was simply THE perfect match-up.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If FM could have took CM out in the first , fourth or seventh round he sure as hell would have.

FM has never been concerned about "putting on a show" ....anyone who watched the Manny fight (and countless other yawner FM fights) knows that.

He rarely if ever tried to take guys out lol. Let alone in the 1st or 4th.

In one sentence you say he woulda gone for the KO rd 1 if he could ( but yet hardly threw any punches for 3/4 rds)
And the next say he never looks to put on a show?

He did put on show Sat night. Give the MMA fans a reason to be happy with CM performance, allow the PPV buyers a decent length fight n some hope.
Then uncharacteristically got on the offense, stalked CM, threw caution to the wind ( cause he knew CM couldnt hurt him- a complete reversal in how he fought boxers), looked for the stoppage n took care of business, stopping the bout early.

Again Im not a boxing fan, nor. FM fan.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Well thats kinda my point. In a boxing match with gloves and all the rules, a professional boxer is going to hit harder and be able to take more punches than a UFC fighter. Boxing has you getting hit over and over again for 12 rounds by fists. UFC has kicks and grappling and the punching is different. Boxers specifically train to have the strongest punches and no how to make their punch as strong as possible. UFC fighters train in multiple and different disciplines.

He has made most of the world think Conor did good in the fight. He made Conor look like a million bucks. This was a Bret Hart or Ric Flair level carry job. Floyd was pure showman and the world ate it up. I have to say it was actually a great fight and not some 3/4 round domination but thats because Floyd let it go that way. He threw like 30 punchs or something in the 1st 3 rds! Conor got off a couple of hard shots and it didn't even faze Floyd.

I don't even think Floyd needs this to be considered one of the GOAT's. Just feels a bit hollow to me. No different than if he would of taken some local tough guy out of a gym and put him out there.

Won't agrue boxing is corrupt and full of politics, but giving Conor 2 or 3 rounds is really because Floyd didn't do anything. I have no problem seeing it 7-2 or something. Even you give him 3 rounds all he did was throw out a bunch of punchs and tire himself out while Floyd wasn't even being fazed. It was like he was being hit by soft pillows out there.

Heavyweight Boxing is what is dying. They are missing a true charismatic AMERICAN champ. We aren't in the days of Hollyfield/Tyson those are long gone. But Heavyweights are not around much in a lot of sports.

And in the end MMA vs Boxing their both barbaric sports that destroy a lot more lives that are worth entertaining. CTE is going to wreck sports in the next 50 to 100 years. I can imagine a time when contact sports might not even exsists, or people will just be so doped up signing their lives away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad