GDT: GDT: #49 New York Islanders at Toronto Maple Leafs | January 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/5-2 L

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Ownership recently stated they have full trust in Lou. The best we can hope for is he retains his presidency, and hires the best GM available.

As for the season playing out, they are closer to Bedard than a playoff run. The former would be the best thing for this franchise coming out of this season and the current state of half the core aging out of their primes.
I’d be ok with Lou running team from top and helping pick guy to run the hockey portion as long as Lou stays out of the hockey but don’t see that. I really could see him consulting in the process but doubt he wants full time president role at 80.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Ownership recently stated they have full trust in Lou. The best we can hope for is he retains his presidency, and hires the best GM available.

As for the season playing out, they are closer to Bedard than a playoff run. The former would be the best thing for this franchise coming out of this season and the current state of half the core aging out of their primes.
That has to be a bluff

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure ownership gave Snow a vote of confidence before they fired him as well.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Any press conference from ownership outside of firing Lou will be received poorly. They can't come out and shit on their currently employed GM, and any vote of confidence will cause a riot from the fanbase.

quite the opposite- would put spotlight squarely on Lou.

yes. Paying 3 coaches and admitting a mistake. Lane ain’t gettin canned.

I just can't see the Isles pulling the plug halfway thru his first season.
I have to disagree with you guys.

Lou is the guy who fired Jim Schoenfeld, Claude Julien and Larry Robinson all unexpectedly.

Our owners have plenty of money. If Lou wants to divert attention away from himself even briefly, don’t put it past him.

Reactions: Mike C

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
To me it just shows what a great job Trotz did. When pajama boy left we were picked to be a basement dweller but went to two conference finals. Don't think our talent scares anyone on the ice.

With our contracts, farm system and age we this roster seems handcuffed for the next few years. It would take some real creative GM maneuvers to turn this around in the next few years. (and yes I am usually; the optimist)
It can happen quickly, I think they can do it in off-season. The top four defense is good, there are other D in system to fill out the other two spots. Sorokin is all world, there are some forwards behind Barzal who fit. They need probably three forwards but it can be done I think.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I had fulls last year, to halves this year, and looking like nada next year
I unfortunately did fulls again this year, but opted out for next. My dad usually comes to the games with me, but he's been traveling so I've sold every game for the past month at this point.

Reactions: NYI365

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

Lou is the guy who fired Jim Schoenfeld, Claude Julien and Larry Robinson all unexpectedly.

Our owners have plenty of money. If Lou wants to divert attention away from himself even briefly, don’t put it past him.
To be clear, I was specifically talking about an ownership press conference. I do think Lou will fire Lane before the season ends (unless ownership does what's right first).

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I unfortunately did fulls again this year, but opted out for next. My dad usually comes to the games with me, but he's been traveling so I've sold every game for the past month at this point.
Yea I normally go with the old man or brother, but the way this team is looking without any changes and with Lou at the helm, Im not wasting any more $ and will just pick and choose cheap tix on the secondaries

Reactions: Lame Lambert

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

I doubt it, I mean could it happen I’d say yes but I’d doubt it. Where do they go for coach in that situation? Really gonna go to Maclean?

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I feel for him. Rookie coach. Been delivered a bad hand. Where is the 40 year vet GM? Why can’t he address the media? He’s the HoF’er. Looks more like hes hiding from accountability.
I think that’s why Lane isn’t being fired and will be back. Lou never addresses media even when going is good so I wouldn’t read into anything that’s he’s hiding.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
It can happen quickly, I think they can do it in off-season. The top four defense is good, there are other D in system to fill out the other two spots. Sorokin is all world, there are some forwards behind Barzal who fit. They need probably three forwards but it can be done I think.
Love the optimism.. Agreed that we would be fine going forward with D and G, even up the middle I am fine for the next few years. Bottom line my opinion is we need quality wings who can score, until that happens we are going to struggle.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Maybe we could’ve fired Lou and consult Trotz on a new GM hire. Seems to me like a HOF coach is a much bigger asset than our the current form of Lou L.

This team better be smart at the deadline. There’s going to be lean years ahead, but if we’re smart it doesn’t have to be a lost decade.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Love the optimism.. Agreed that we would be fine going forward with D and G, even up the middle I am fine for the next few years. Bottom line my opinion is we need quality wings who can score, until that happens we are going to struggle.
Yeah an elite scorer would be great but what about three solid guys 20-25 a year and maybe 30 in good year.

I’d move Nelson for right price. Bailey has to be gone at year end, probably Beau too unless he finds role replacing Parise with Pageau maybe.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)

Good point on those three coach firings. I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility. But if Lambert gets the axe, who even is on the radar for the rest of the season and/or onward from there?

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Pros for Lane's brief tenure : his dress sense and hair.
Cons: a historically bad PP, loss of team spirit, no playing identity, offence anaemic, defence porous, nine losses in 10 games, can't hold a lead or comeback, Barzals recent form slump, Nelsons form slump, Pulocka form, Dufours promotion and immediate demotion, unsuccessful line juggling. Did I mention the PP? Lol. Oh, and his dismal press conferences which offer nil insight for fans.
I know there's been injuries and talent seems threadbare, but under pretty mich every criteria Lanes results are sub par. That's untenable.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real JT

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’d be ok with Lou running team from top and helping pick guy to run the hockey portion as long as Lou stays out of the hockey but don’t see that. I really could see him consulting in the process but doubt he wants full time president role at 80.

Yep, as I said, I suspect that Lou has a lot of pull with NYI and likes power; hence the reason he took the role. I don’t mind him running from the top; it’s common for the President and GM to have dialogues about player transactions etc. I’m sure Lou will give input, as he should.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Yep, as I said, I suspect that Lou has a lot of pull with NYI and likes power; hence the reason he took the role. I don’t mind him running from the top; it’s common for the President and GM to have dialogues about player transactions etc. I’m sure Lou will give input, as he should.
I'd be worried that the new "GM" would end up just being a puppet for Lou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad