GDT: GDT: #49 New York Islanders at Toronto Maple Leafs | January 23rd | 7:30 PM | F/5-2 L

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I don't see any way Lou would swallow his pride and do that. I also don't see Barry being interested. Ownership would have to extend the olive branch to Trotz and fire Lou to make that situation work.

I don't think having Barry as the GM/President is the worst idea though. He knows this roster better than anyone and I would trust his decision making on personnel way more than Lou at this point.
Hmmm, just saw this:

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
he looks like he wants to cry. He's not angry, not motivating, looks defeated & weak. I hate Tortorella but at least he has sass. Get some sass Lane!
This! What is the identity of this team? I love when a team takes on the identity and character of the coach. I wish this team had some piss and vinegar again when that snake left this organization for dead. I would have loved if Sorokin stared down or shot the puck back at Bunting when he made that save on the penalty shot. Something! Does this team have a pulse, some pride, or some anger?

Feels like the Long Island Country Club all over again.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Tuned into Sportsnet Pacific just before the 4 minute mark in the first to catch Cizikas' Grade A chance on Samsonov. The Isles scoring just 1 goal in the first despite having the edge in play was frustrating. The Leafs' speed and skill, led by Nylander, was too much for the Isles in the last 40 minutes.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Tuned into Sportsnet Pacific just before the 4 minute mark in the first to catch Cizikas' Grade A chance on Samsonov. The Isles scoring just 1 goal in the first despite having the edge in play was frustrating. The Leafs' speed and skill, led by Nylander, was too much for the Isles in the last 40 minutes.
I had TSN feed. Only good part of game was hearing underrated Ontario band "The Blue Stones" on the opening. 2nd was watching fans pass the Canadian flag as they sang the anthem. I always love seeing that.

It can happen quickly, I think they can do it in off-season. The top four defense is good, there are other D in system to fill out the other two spots. Sorokin is all world, there are some forwards behind Barzal who fit. They need probably three forwards but it can be done I think.
I'm not sure top 4 D is good anymore

Reactions: redbull

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
i know the coach wants to win games but disappointing to see Raty/Holmstrom barely see the ice. Plus they never had the puck so tough to develop young players when the team sh*ts the bed like that - brutal in every way. Even Sorokin looked mortal.

They started well, had some jump, and seemed hit a brick wall.
They only have 20 sometimes 30 min in them most every night

Lane isn’t being fired but if he was it’s poor taste to fire someone on a road trip.
Do it at the all star break

Another lacklustre performance. Looks as if the team's given up
Even Pageau and Parise looked disengaged tonight

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think hiring experienced GM might mitigate that fear a bit.

The question was, would he hire a figure head or a real GM with autonomy and ultimate decision making power? I get the sense that Lou likes control, thus, he'd likely hire someone he can strongly influence. Just my speculation.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
appropriate band name, LP and song for the state of the Isles eh?

Butch Vig.....good rock and roll name!!
saw Shirley Manson live once, blown away how powerful that voice and her stage presence. musicians are talented (some of them).

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The question was, would he hire a figure head or a real GM with autonomy and ultimate decision making power? I get the sense that Lou likes control, thus, he'd likely hire someone he can strongly influence. Just my speculation.
i think Lou needs to be removed from any hockey making decisions and be given a figurehead position. if he balks at that then fire him the way he fired Barry and call it a day

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
depends on the goal. If it's a complete tear-down (don't think they need that) versus a coach who can get this team to play to maximize their potential (like Trotz did). No matter who they choose, there will be question-marks/risk.

I like the core of the team, just not sure where to get 1-2 elite forwards, though some aging ones may be available as UFAs OR if you want to chase players like Horvat/Meier/JT Miller or possibly a guy like Nylander who'll be tough to re-sign. Pastrnak will find a way to land in Boston because they are Boston.

I worry about Barzal. They had a graphic on the broadcast (Sportsnet) comparing either possession time or zone-entries, Barzal & McDavid, but his output remains pathetic by comparison (as do most players, and not comparing to McDavid head-to-head, but given how much time of possession he has, he rarely generates high-quality scoring chances for his linemates). Seems like he's always around the outside, very smart passer and stick handler, but doesn't drive to the net, EVER.

Starting see him as a great #2 centre even though, at times, he looks like a budding 100pt centre.

Not sure about the team speed but maybe not too far off. Would be nice if Wahlstrom/Raty/Dufour could break-out like a Jason Robertson and maybe get lucky with a draft pick.

With Sorokin, you're not far away, like Carey Price in Montreal all those years. Dobson/Pulock/Pelech/Barzal/Nelson/Lee - feels like a playoff team. Elite team needs another couple of elite players for sure.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
depends on the goal. If it's a complete tear-down (don't think they need that) versus a coach who can get this team to play to maximize their potential (like Trotz did). No matter who they choose, there will be question-marks/risk.

I like the core of the team, just not sure where to get 1-2 elite forwards, though some aging ones may be available as UFAs OR if you want to chase players like Horvat/Meier/JT Miller or possibly a guy like Nylander who'll be tough to re-sign. Pastrnak will find a way to land in Boston because they are Boston.

I worry about Barzal. They had a graphic on the broadcast (Sportsnet) comparing either possession time or zone-entries, Barzal & McDavid, but his output remains pathetic by comparison (as do most players, and not comparing to McDavid head-to-head, but given how much time of possession he has, he rarely generates high-quality scoring chances for his linemates). Seems like he's always around the outside, very smart passer and stick handler, but doesn't drive to the net, EVER.

Starting see him as a great #2 centre even though, at times, he looks like a budding 100pt centre.

Not sure about the team speed but maybe not too far off. Would be nice if Wahlstrom/Raty/Dufour could break-out like a Jason Robertson and maybe get lucky with a draft pick.

With Sorokin, you're not far away, like Carey Price in Montreal all those years. Dobson/Pulock/Pelech/Barzal/Nelson/Lee - feels like a playoff team. Elite team needs another couple of elite players for sure.
Well, Red Bull the whole league has figured out Barzal offensively (perimeter, never shoots, will always look to pass, just let him skate himself into a turnover or low danger pass, clueless in OT, etc.) and defensively (likes to stick tap, avoid body contact, looks to skate away from puck holder hoping to steal the puck and skate). Glad sportsnet put up the old ‘possession’ king graph. One guy has a clue, the other doesn’t.

Once upon a time, Mackinnon was a talented, but somewhat aimless player. He committed to changing how he played the game. I wonder what happened from there…

Reactions: Lek and redbull

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
i think Lou needs to be removed from any hockey making decisions and be given a figurehead position. if he balks at that then fire him the way he fired Barry and call it a day

I wouldn't be surprised if he manipulated ownership into being loyal to him; not confident they will fire him. That said, he still is a HOF hockey mind. I wouldn't completely extricate that from the franchise.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Either goal (rebuild/retool) requires an upgrade at the GM position, IMHO. They also need a better coach, and the right GM to choose that coach.

There are two cores--the one just reaching its prime and the aging out of prime years. It's really a dichotomy of cores. I'd build from Sorokin out; Barzal, Dobson, and Pelech are keepers. If they are going to give it another go next season, they'll likely hang on to the aging core (e.g. Nelson/Lee). Bottom line, this team needs more talent. Talent (combined with work ethic, of course) always wins out; mediocrity/inadequacy eventually rears its ugly face (we are seeing that). Whomever is GM has a lot of work ahead of them this offseason, that is, if this organization wants to contend for the Cup.

Agreed about Barzal; he's a low-tier 1C/elite 2C. I don't see him transcending that. Put a Timo Meier on his wing, and he'll be a ppg center; that's as far as I go with his ceiling. A year ago I already came to terms that he can't carry a team.

Team speed needs an overhaul. I'd love a Jason Robertson to emerge on this team. Don't see one in the pipeline. Bedard? Dufour needs to work on his footspeed, ditto Raty. Wahlstrom is inching closer and closer to a middle-6 scorer. He doesn't have the separation quickness and doesn't know where to go in the offensive zone to use his best asset. Snipers find the soft spots; in his case, I see him meandering around as if he doesn't know how to use open ice.

Doesn't feel like a playoff team to me. They are mediocre, they need help in many ways.

Reactions: redbull

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I wouldn't be surprised if he manipulated ownership into being loyal to him; not confident they will fire him. That said, he still is a HOF hockey mind. I wouldn't completely extricate that from the franchise.
maybe when 5 thousand fans show up in late Feb with bags on their heads the swimmer's uncle will get the message

8 games, 1 point, and a -7. If only someone was unleashed…

So far:
- 18 games w/o goal
- 2x 5 games w/o goal
- currently, 8 games and maybe counting w/o a goal.

And this is the $7M top flight center. My lord can’t wait for him to make $9.15M next year!
will you still be around or will you have a stroke over him by then??

hope you aren't a cowboy fan too!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

my son's contribution from earlier.... he's asleep at 3AM while i play strat O computer hockey.... JT will be happy that '74-75 flyers lead rangers 3-0 after 2.....3rd pd tomorrow

anyway, enough of that story nobody cares about.....my son said in reference to the team speed issue "they look like they are skating in quicksand"

read on hockeynow dot com that wally may have a severe knee issue. rosner said he hasn't been on ice at all and he thinks the leg went in the opposite direction of the body on the play he got injured on

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
my son's contribution from earlier.... he's asleep at 3AM while i play strat O computer hockey.... JT will be happy that '74-75 flyers lead rangers 3-0 after 2.....3rd pd tomorrow

anyway, enough of that story nobody cares about.....my son said in reference to the team speed issue "they look like they are skating in quicksand"

read on hockeynow dot com that wally may have a severe knee issue. rosner said he hasn't been on ice at all and he thinks the leg went in the opposite direction of the body on the play he got injured on
Schultz vs Trouba? I can hope.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Pros for Lane's brief tenure : his dress sense and hair.
Cons: a historically bad PP, loss of team spirit, no playing identity, offence anaemic, defence porous, nine losses in 10 games, can't hold a lead or comeback, Barzals recent form slump, Nelsons form slump, Pulocka form, Dufours promotion and immediate demotion, unsuccessful line juggling. Did I mention the PP? Lol. Oh, and his dismal press conferences which offer nil insight for fans.
I know there's been injuries and talent seems threadbare, but under pretty mich every criteria Lanes results are sub par. That's untenable.
When you put it that way....pretty close. :laugh:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Baffling how they can go from playing ‘one of the best periods if the season’ (first) to the other team playing their ‘best period of the season’ (second) with the flick of a switch. How is that even possible?

oh and here comes Philly. Yes, that Philly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad