GDT: GDT#4| Penguins vs. Redwings | Wed, Oct. 18 2023 7:30 PM EST|LCA| Hey, it's My B-Day, all I want is a Karlsson good game...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
well he’s gonna have to pull a miracle there because our top six is getting out skated and tightly checked and they’re still playing the same ineffective way…that’s a bigger issue because they’re our best hope of scoring and they can’t do shit against fast teams
I know a lot of the board has advocated for a coaching change, but I don't think a new coach is going to get significantly different results out of the top six. Even if you trade Rust for a more physical forward, the point totals aren't going to change much.

And, let's be honest, you're not going to get the top six to be much better defensively. I've loved watching Sid and Geno, but when a coach has tried to be more restrictive or structured, they've either rebelled (Therrien) or tuned him out (Johnston).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think most of us had them pegged as a team that would just make the playoffs or just barely miss them. And that's what they look like.

I was hoping EK would propel them to greater heights than that but so far that doesn't look likely.

I am actually highly curious what Dubas will do if that's the way they look for most of the year. I think he expects more than this from them, and if they continue to look mid, I wonder what the game plan is.

And let's be real, what reason is there to think this team will be anything more than this? I have them making the playoffs but "making the playoffs" likely means a wildcard spot, or maybe 3rd in the division if things go well. This is just what the team is at this point. They're the late era Red Wings, just as a huge majority of fans predicted.

I just really hope Dubas doesn't do anything too aggressive for this team. I feel like this team will only win if the core turns back the clock and basically carries them to another cup win, which seems so unlikely that it's not worth splurging assets on pursuing.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
I think we should give it more than 4 games before jumping off a bridge. There was lots of turnover of players in the off-season. Things can take time to gel. Or maybe we just suck. Either way, we don't know yet

Reactions: Turin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know a lot of the board has advocated for a coaching change, but I don't think a new coach is going to get significantly different results out of the top six. Even if you trade Rust for a more physical forward, the point totals aren't going to change much.

And, let's be honest, you're not going to get the top six to be much better defensively. I've loved watching Sid and Geno, but when a coach has tried to be more restrictive or structured, they've either rebelled (Therrien) or tuned him out (Johnston).
I would hope with them knowing the chance is short for them to win another Cup that a coach who would make some adjustments to play a more structured game would be listened to by our core, even for just a period a game…I know how they were when they were younger but time is ticking and they know it, and they know these young guys are much faster

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I would hope with them knowing the chance is short for them to win another Cup that a coach who would make some adjustments to play a more structured game would be listened to by our core, even for just a period a game…I know how they were when they were younger but time is ticking and they know it, and they know these young guys are much faster
I think they hear some alarms going off, but they're just hitting the snooze button right now because they feel they have more time. Right or wrong, I think they have a general sense of urgency, but it's not high alert yet.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I think we should give it more than 4 games before jumping off a bridge. There was lots of turnover of players in the off-season. Things can take time to gel. Or maybe we just suck. Either way, we don't know yet
We do know, they look exactly the same as last years bum team.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I would give it until at least November before considering major surgery lol.

Last year the team scored like 6 goals every game for the first three weeks. Then they went sub .500 the rest of the way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't think the lack of structure is why this team is so mid, though. I think they're just old.

Ultimately, what this team had to do to still be a top contender now was making good drafting and developing decisions 5 years ago. Even when the core was prime aged, it still required a massive influx of youth from guys like Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, Murray, Dumoulin and whatnot for them to get over the 2010-2015 hump and win another cup. This team has literally no young depth at this point due to bad management from the previous 2 GMs.

Reactions: farscape1

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Who is jumping off a bridge? This team looks as mediocre as many expected. I think the majority of the board pinned them as hovering around a WC spot, maybe a bit better, maybe a bit worse. They look exactly like that kinda team imo. :laugh:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think the lack of structure is why this team is so mid, though. I think they're just old.

Ultimately, what this team had to do to still be a top contender now was making good drafting and developing decisions 5 years ago. Even when the core was prime aged, it still required a massive influx of youth from guys like Rust, Sheary, Guentzel, Murray, Dumoulin and whatnot for them to get over the 2010-2015 hump and win another cup. This team has literally no young depth at this point due to bad management from the previous 2 GMs.
Yeah, this isn't a structure problem or a schematic problem.

The best players on the team need a lot more support than they used to. The more moving parts you need working in unison in order to have success, the greater the possibility of failure is.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This is the type of team we need to beat if we’re gonna be a playoff contender, so this game is very disappointing to say the least
Detroit is going to beat quite a few playoff teams this year.

I'm definitely not using game 4 on the season as a marker of who they are.

There is some talent up and down that wings lineup and aren't going to be an easy out for anyone

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
we actually played really well for 3-4 minute after they scored their second goal, again some bad defensive plays (mostly third pair) and not being able to core in opportune time and the whole outlook turns...L1 and L2 still created OK, but this is unsustainable when your bottom 6 don't chip in. And I don't understand why EK is not skating out with the puck

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yes, but you can play a way when you’re older and slower that is more conducive to slowing the game down and winning, namely clogging the NZ more…we rarely do it..teams have free range to skate on through a lot of the time…they could generate TOs from this and get more scoring chances…Isles do it fairly well, although Jarry is no Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad