GDT: GDT#4| Penguins vs. Redwings | Wed, Oct. 18 2023 7:30 PM EST|LCA| Hey, it's My B-Day, all I want is a Karlsson good game...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It’s always the guys who have been here getting involved in the scrums

Petts
Sid
Letang
Geno

Where the f*** is this toughness we traded for/signed?
They're a team that has a clear caste system. I wish team would take it too them physically every night. Maybe getting teeth rattled would knock some sense into to their stars that the comfy club they created is dangerous to their long term health.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Many here have been asking for someone like that for years. It is and has been a glaring need

Honestly I generally don't like those kind of players at all, because it feels like an outdated relic of the 80s and 90s hockey to get pure physical DFD. But for how the Penguins are using their bottom pair, I actually think it makes sense to have that kind of bottom pair.

They're riding the hell out of the top-4 D and are mostly only using the 3rd pair in scarce 5v5 minutes and PK minutes. With POJ, he's not even getting PK minutes. If their role is "low minutes at 5v5 and killing penalties", why have an erratic puck mover along with an undersized bland depth D as your bottom pair?

I hate the idea of having like a Scuderi-Orpik pair because it offers nothing in the transition game or offensively, but if you're using the bottom pair in this specific role, it makes way more sense to have that kind of D pair.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I mean I'm not calling it a season like some are. But having someone that can clear the net has been an obvious need.

Some people might have picked a new favorite team already if you read game 1 thread.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Dubas has a reputation for churning the bottom of his lineup.

Going to be really interesting to see if that holds true here, because I think we're seeing evidence that the bottom six and bottom pair could use adjustments.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just a very mid team right now. I'd like to see them establish an identity as a complete trainwreck or an actually good team.

Right now this looks like a team that will pick around 14th again lol

I think this is how they're going to be. When they're on, they're going to look like a legitimate cup contender. When they're off, they're going to be losing to a lottery team.

I think this is just the nature of having a super old team. They can sometimes pull out the talent to play great, but it's much more difficult to do it at their age.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
an older team needs energy from the bottom 6 which is why seeing jeff carter there is just extra infuriating

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Just a very mid team right now. I'd like to see them establish an identity as a complete trainwreck or an actually good team.

Right now this looks like a team that will pick around 14th again lol

Sorry man... we got Lars Eller, i think his pedigree moves us down to #16

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This board gets really really low on losses and high on wins. Very bipolar, haha.
It's the quality of the losses that bothers me. Effort and caliber of opponent.
It's just thrown away points due to laziness.
The mindset is "Meh...it's early. We can pick it up later..."

They wouldn't be playing with this little drive in April.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This board gets really really low on losses and high on wins. Very bipolar, haha.
It's the way they lose. I also don't think this board gets too high on wins. I don't think one person here truly believes in this team. I know we want to, but it's too far gone to truly believe.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Going to be really interesting to see if that holds true here, because I think we're seeing evidence that the bottom six and bottom pair could use adjustments.
Only so much he can do fixing the team Hextall left us.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
The bottom six and third D pair are worthless. Let’s see what that Ludvig and Shea can do and call up some warm bodies at forward.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Honestly I generally don't like those kind of players at all, because it feels like an outdated relic of the 80s and 90s hockey to get pure physical DFD. But for how the Penguins are using their bottom pair, I actually think it makes sense to have that kind of bottom pair.

They're riding the hell out of the top-4 D and are mostly only using the 3rd pair in scarce 5v5 minutes and PK minutes. With POJ, he's not even getting PK minutes. If their role is "low minutes at 5v5 and killing penalties", why have an erratic puck mover along with an undersized bland depth D as your bottom pair?

I hate the idea of having like a Scuderi-Orpik pair because it offers nothing in the transition game or offensively, but if you're using the bottom pair in this specific role, it makes way more sense to have that kind of D pair.
It makes a ton of sense. You cant let teams camp in front of your net. Goals will pile in that way.

A little bit of bite down there goes a long way. Let the Letang and EK pair control the possession.
PK with a 3rd pairing that can move some bodies around block shots and do all the dirty work.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

well he’s gonna have to pull a miracle there because our top six is getting out skated and tightly checked and they’re still playing the same ineffective way…that’s a bigger issue because they’re our best hope of scoring and they can’t do shit against fast teams

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Dubas did sign a few slow over the hill guys, so he is not absolved of blame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad