Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Every year there's a new excuse as to why Garth should stand pat.

This year is different. I hate Snow. I am against trading any assets for rentals if JT is still undecided. In fact, if JT remains undecided, I would move him and Bailey.

We could have 4 first round picks this draft.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
If Snow is not going to do anything of importance in the next 2-3 weeks, then:

What was the point of unloading a top-4 defenseman for picks?

What was the point of paying substantial price to unload 1 year of Grabovski?

I am not a snow apologist. I want him gone, but the asking prices for just even mediocre level talent is absurd. I don't see much being done in terms of big names based off the rumored asking prices.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
He had a plan, but the plan failed. I think Snow has a tight cap scenario figured out, but I don't think he's ready for the current situation where lots of teams have flexibility.
He had a plan to sign Smyth and Hannan. He had a plan with Vanek. He had a plan to replace outgoing ufas with Ladd and, god forbid, Chimera. He had a plan to flip picks for Duchene. I wonder why so many "plans" failed.

Reactions: bronxirish and C24

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Your move, Garth. THREE regular D men out in the heat of a playoff race. You get another chance.

[...crickets...]

Reactions: C24

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Again, why would he mortgage the future when he doesn't know what will happen with JT and Bailey. JT is what is holding up Snow from making a move. Even overpaying.

JT needs to stop holding this team hostage and make up his freaking mind. Arena deal is done. Temporary home has been settled. This is the hockey team for NOW, unless he commits before the deadline so Snow can use picks / prospects to improve the D.

Without knowing the status of JT, trading those desirable 1st round draft picks is off the table. This is just one reason having JT unsigned is problematic for the team. The reality is any viable trades at this point are not going to propel this team beyond the first round this year, maybe into a wild card, but the LT injuries that have occurred are this year are insurmountable to expect trading for a 3-4 defenceman will make a significant difference.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Every year there's a new excuse as to why Garth should stand pat.

I wouldn’t do anything because this team won’t go anywhere regardless this year unless you added Doughty and Karlsson all of a sudden.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I am not a snow apologist. I want him gone, but the asking prices for just even mediocre level talent is absurd. I don't see much being done in terms of big names based off the rumored asking prices.

That’s the price to pay of you want to compete. It sucks. But Garth has to ask himself is it worth spending these high prices for a chance to win. Pumping out Quine and Seidenweg types, routinely, is not going to be sustainable. IMO it’s either spend and maybe make it or slowly wither and die and hope JT stays.

At some point winning has to take precedence over future prospects and picks. We can’t wait for the stars to align - it’s not going to happen. Garth has to make it happen.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I don't remember if someone said it in this thread or another, but the Giants would never have let Garth be here as long as he has been. McAdoo had one embarrassing year and gets canned. Garth has 12 years of mediocrity and his job seems more secure than ever.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
That’s the price to pay of you want to compete. It sucks. But Garth has to ask himself is it worth spending these high prices for a chance to win. Pumping out Quine and Seidenweg types, routinely, is not going to be sustainable. IMO it’s either spend and maybe make it or slowly wither and die and hope JT stays.

At some point winning has to take precedence over future prospects and picks. We can’t wait for the stars to align - it’s not going to happen. Garth has to make it happen.

Winning what? Besides adding Karlsson or OEL, this team isn't going anywhere. And why would Snow trade picks / prospects when JT and Bailey may leave? It makes no sense.

Again, until JT's future is decided, the Isles should stand pat or trade JT and Bailey if JT tells the team he is leaving.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I don't remember if someone said it in this thread or another, but the Giants would never have let Garth be here as long as he has been. McAdoo had one embarrassing year and gets canned. Garth has 12 years of mediocrity and his job seems more secure than ever.

Giants are a real franchise with great ownership. The Isles are the complete opposite. Worst run team in NY by far.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Winning what? Besides adding Karlsson or OEL, this team isn't going anywhere. And why would Snow trade picks / prospects when JT and Bailey may leave? It makes no sense.

Again, until JT's future is decided, the Isles should stand pat or trade JT and Bailey if JT tells the team he is leaving.

Winning hockey games. That is the goal after all. This organization needs to figure out what they want to be - follow the current trend and hover just above/below relevancy or trade some (expensive) pieces and try to win.

I’m not advocating for either trades or no trades. Just understand that standing pat likely means no playoffs. And that could mean no JT.

It’s a bad position to be in.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Winning hockey games. That is the goal after all. This organization needs to figure out what they want to be - follow the current trend and hover just above/below relevancy or trade some (expensive) pieces and try to win.

I’m not advocating for either trades or no trades. Just understand that standing pat likely means no playoffs. And that could mean no JT.

It’s a bad position to be in.
Even worse: one and done, swept by TBL/BOS. Worse, because it means Snow/Weight will survive.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He had a plan to sign Smyth and Hannan. He had a plan with Vanek. He had a plan to replace outgoing ufas with Ladd and, god forbid, Chimera. He had a plan to flip picks for Duchene. I wonder why so many "plans" failed.

Exactly my point. His plans seem to fail because his learning curve results in him always being a step behind. Once he learns, he stabilizes a bit. But things change, and he's not good at learning on the fly.

Reactions: C24

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Snow is .not GM due to his on ice success. You are underaiting his success at kissing butt of owners. He must of read a book on the art of getting promoted quickly by being buds with owners you dont even like. anyway...if you think Charles Wang has Zero say in Snow being GM you must of just jumped on this island recently. Ive been here since Bill Torrey and I know the ins and outs of the last 30 years almost as good as anyone. maybe someone like Botta if he really was certain he never wanted to work in pro sports again he could tell you things about Wang that would make you wish you were a ranger fan.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Without knowing the status of JT, trading those desirable 1st round draft picks is off the table. This is just one reason having JT unsigned is problematic for the team. The reality is any viable trades at this point are not going to propel this team beyond the first round this year, maybe into a wild card, but the LT injuries that have occurred are this year are insurmountable to expect trading for a 3-4 defenceman will make a significant difference.

YES...YES...YES...

If you believe what some are saying that JT wants to feel confident the isles are building a winner before he resigns, then you are bending over backwards to appease him and it can cost you even more in the long run.

What happens if snow empties the cupboard in the next two weeks to add 2 D-men and a goalie that are only signed short-term...And then Tavares doesn't resign?

For the umpteenth time...No one is above the franchise, and that includes John Tavares. I love the guy and want him to resign, but I honestly don't care whose wearing an Islanders jersey when they hoist the Cup - I just want them to get there. And if we trade away all futures to appease one player and still don't become a contender, then we will have set the franchise back years once again.

As ndgolden conveyed so well above...Tavares should know that him not committing to the Isles makes them not know how to play dealing their futures assets. If he would commit then a more concrete plan could be put in place. Because he's keeping everyone guessing well then the team needs to protect themselves.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

A simpler way to put it is...

A winning organization with competent ownership would never allow snow to be an employee.

We already know where wang falls on that spectrum. Now the question is...Are Ledecky & Malkin...

1. Just as bad
  2. Better
  3. Stuck with a contract that wang imposed on them?

The longer they keep snow around the less it can be #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad