Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Man, after watching Arizona, we could literally use like a third of their team. :laugh:

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-Rieder
Richardson
-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

The reason I kept Beauvillier on the second line when Ladd's back is that we've seen Beauvillier on the third or fourth line and he was completely irrelevant. I think Ladd can be more effective than Beauvillier in that same role, and on the second line, there is no dropoff in production (Beauvillier might actually be producing better).

Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Demers
Hjalmarsson
-Mayfield

Halak
Raanta

I'm tired of fringe NHLers (Prince/Quine)

Also Jason Chimera literally has two ****ing goals. This. Guy. Is. Not. A. Top. 12. Forward. For. A. Playoff. Team.

I was a big proponent for Demers but last night he was awful, not worth his salary.... Richardson is as bad as our fringe guys, would rather have Zach Smith than him

Rieder not bad... but too much to get him.
Raanta... not getting dealt

Now I would overpay for Hjalmarsson, that is a shutdown dman who has played with Leddy before.

I am not giving up on Fritz totally yet, I think he is part of the solution...

Your top 6 is right on...

Ladd/Nelson/Fritz
XXXXX/Cizikas/Clutterbuck

That XXXX should be Ross Johnston against Pens, Bruins, Caps... and probably a minor acquisition like Zach Smith or Benoit Pouilliot against teams like Canes, Lightning, CBJ

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I'm sure i'm in the minority, but besides another top defenseman (something that the entire league is always looking for yet rarely available) I like our player personnel when we're healthy. I think Snow stinks just as much as the next guy but he's gotten almost everything we've asked for...

Wingers for JT - Check (One of the most dangerous lines in hockey).
2nd line center - Check (As far as 2nd lines go, has to be up there with best)
Still don't think we've seen the best of Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield. But we have to deal with their growing pains. Defenseman take longer

Really think, again, our coaching and system (maybe lack there of) is letting our players down.

No one seems to know where they're supposed to be in our d-zone thus leaving our players flat footed and late to every loose puck.

Opposing players are continually unmarked in dangerous areas. This happens over and over and over again.

Our PK couldn't be any more passive. The plan seems to be "stay in a diamond and hope a shot hits you." Never pressure the puck and make sure you give the other team as much time on the puck as possible.

The worst part about ALL of this... not a single sign of improvement. We're at the all-star break. DW is sounding more and more like Cappy in his post-game pressers.

I really think we have a talented squad, but the coaching staff's lack of experience is letting us down.

Apologies for the long rant...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm sure i'm in the minority, but besides another top defenseman (something that the entire league is always looking for yet rarely available) I like our player personnel when we're healthy. I think Snow stinks just as much as the next guy but he's gotten almost everything we've asked for...

Wingers for JT - Check (One of the most dangerous lines in hockey).
2nd line center - Check (As far as 2nd lines go, has to be up there with best)
Still don't think we've seen the best of Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield. But we have to deal with their growing pains. Defenseman take longer

Really think, again, our coaching and system (maybe lack there of) is letting our players down.

No one seems to know where they're supposed to be in our d-zone thus leaving our players flat footed and late to every loose puck.

Opposing players are continually unmarked in dangerous areas. This happens over and over and over again.

Our PK couldn't be any more passive. The plan seems to be "stay in a diamond and hope a shot hits you." Never pressure the puck and make sure you give the other team as much time on the puck as possible.

The worst part about ALL of this... not a single sign of improvement. We're at the all-star break. DW is sounding more and more like Cappy in his post-game pressers.

I really think we have a talented squad, but the coaching staff's lack of experience is letting us down.

Apologies for the long rant...

It is highly spot on... coaching and knowing the roles are the biggest issue... when you can look at 5 games and see major things wrong that lead to losses in each game but it varies from game to game it is the coaching and system

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I liked Nick Hjalmarsson's game.

What frustrates me is not capitalizing on what arguably the best top 6 in hockey now and potentially losing the deadly combo of JT and Barz. :shakehead

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I liked Nick Hjalmarsson's game.

What frustrates me is not capitalizing on what arguably the best top 6 in hockey now and potentially losing the deadly combo of JT and Barz. :shakehead

I agree. How you can sit on your hands for this long I do notunderstand.

This is a top six you NEED to give a chance to win a Cup. It’s the best top 6 we’ve had since we’ve drafted Tavares. With Boychuk healthy, we have a top pair. Both of our goaltenders have won a playoff round.

All the hardest pieces are technically on the team. The rest should all be filled.

Reactions: bronxirish

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

This is a top six you NEED to give a chance to win a Cup. It’s the best top 6 we’ve had since we’ve drafted Tavares. With Boychuk healthy, we have a top pair. Both of our goaltenders have won a playoff round.

All the hardest pieces are technically on the team. The rest should all be filled.

I'm confused. Your quote from another thread:

This team does not deserve to make the playoffs, however at the off chance that they do that would be cool too.

So does that mean you think that the team is really good and Doug Weight is just bad? Or you think the team would be suddenly good enough to win a cup by adding minor pieces, but not good enough to make the playoffs with the hardest pieces in place? Not trying to be cynical here, but I certainly need more information because I don't understand where you are coming from.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Yup. There are so many layers to this situation as well. Bailey finally emerges in the way you’d hope an 8th overall pick that you traded picks specifically to draft would. Your left winger, whom you also drafted, is turning into an elite power forward. The second line speaks for itself.

Snow has an opportunity to capitalize on some of the (albeit few) things he actually didn’t f*** up on during this heralded rebuild. And yet, he’s doing just that; sabotaging his own good work (coming from someone who doesn’t think too highly of Snow).

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
But that's actually a positive.

I would want Snow to try Fritz and see if he can work in two months before trading a third for Nate Thompson.

Not I. And lose valuable points in the process?

That said, a fourth liner isn’t going to make much of a difference. Top 4 D man? Different story. Eg look at the impact w the losses of de Haan and Bouchuk.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

That said, a fourth liner isn’t going to make much of a difference. Top 4 D man? Different story. Eg look at the impact w the losses of de Haan and Bouchuk.

I think Fritz has been doing extremely well!

I have no worries about him pivoting a fourth line.

In fact, I'd hope he continues doing so even when Cizikas is back and that Casey then center Nelson (RW) and Prince (LW) until Ladd is back in the line-up, which pushes Prince out.

Reactions: majormet

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
People saying the Isles have no shot of doing anything in the playoffs are laughable. Team has the best offense in the NHL.

This reminds me of every other year when Snow just sits there because we don't want to risk the future for today. Yeah.. Go ahead of tell Tavares that, I'm sure he agrees with not giving up the pick for Mike Green or Robin Lehner.

Let's see....there is goaltending which you admit is a problem. There the defense, but I'm sure the stellar stay at home defenseman Mike Green will solve that instantaneously, and there is a an inexperienced and at times inept coach. Couple that with a brutal PK and it's a short walk to the golf course. For every "we are the highest scoring team in the NHL" comment there is a simple "We are the most scored upon team in the NHL" retort.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
i think Snow has no training on making trades no negotiation skills. we know wang is also hotrible at negotiating For instance, snows moves happen when another team has to move a player ir really wants a islanders. edomonton wanted griffin. ive heard no reports that snow made that deal happen. leddy boychuck had to be moved. they called the 1 tean with cap room. Due to both wang and snows loser mentality half the players have the isles on the no trade list.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

It never ceases to baffle me how HF overrates 4th liners and their impact they have on the team. Years ago people here were actually blaming Andy Hilbert as the reason as to why we sucked. Not saying Hilbert was good...but yeah I don't think you can attribute a team's amount of success to a 4th liner.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
It never ceases to baffle me how HF overrates 4th liners and their impact they have on the team. Years ago people here were actually blaming Andy Hilbert as the reason as to why we sucked. Not saying Hilbert was good...but yeah I don't think you can attribute a team's amount of success to a 4th liner.

It's not only about the 4th line, the 3rd line is even worse. You can't win when only 2 of your 4 lines are NHL caliber.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
i think Snow has no training on making trades no negotiation skills. we know wang is also hotrible at negotiating For instance, snows moves happen when another team has to move a player ir really wants a islanders. edomonton wanted griffin. ive heard no reports that snow made that deal happen. leddy boychuck had to be moved. they called the 1 tean with cap room. Due to both wang and snows loser mentality half the players have the isles on the no trade list.

How do we not know that any other GM's just don't answer the phone when and if he ever calls?
I mean for that matter, how do we know they just don't laugh at him knowing so many players won't come here because of the mess they have created for the last 25 years?
It's probably like this... "Don't Call Us Garth..... We Will Call You".

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
But the moves he makes, at least the trades anyway, are usually good. He just barely makes them and when he does it's during the off-season.

And yet...Still can't make the playoffs 10+ years in to his tenure.

It's permanent vacation time.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Hilbert played on the top line a bit too. That’s how bad this team was.

I agree with the overall sentiment that the bottom 6 needs upgrading. That said, this is a bubble team primarily bc they’ve had shitty goaltending and shitty defense.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Hilbert played on the top line a bit too. That’s how bad this team was.

I agree with the overall sentiment that the bottom 6 needs upgrading. That said, this is a bubble team primarily bc they’ve had ****ty goaltending and ****ty defense.

While that's true, he predominantly played bottom 6 (although I must admit he was good with Sillinger and Hunter for that one year). Playing him 1st line was grasping at straws.

Anyways back on topic, Snow needs to go, there can't be anymore more excuses.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
We've been without de Haan since the first month or two, Boychuk always misses an extended period of time, and we've given up more goals than Arizona and Buffalo, yet no help on the backend has been acquired.

Stunning.

Reactions: bronxirish

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
So many have posted that moves aren't available. Clearly it's a sellers market. Back up the truck. Deal JT, Bailey, Leddy, Eberle et al. I mean what's the point right? Nothing can possibly be done to improve. Load up on kids and picks. Maybe Snow will retire in 6-7 years and we can salvage a year or two of all those picks we get.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
I was a big proponent for Demers but last night he was awful, not worth his salary.... Richardson is as bad as our fringe guys, would rather have Zach Smith than him

Rieder not bad... but too much to get him.
Raanta... not getting dealt

Now I would overpay for Hjalmarsson, that is a shutdown dman who has played with Leddy before.

judging players on one game is pretty foolish

I am not giving up on Fritz totally yet, I think he is part of the solution...

Your top 6 is right on...

Ladd/Nelson/Fritz
XXXXX/Cizikas/Clutterbuck

That XXXX should be Ross Johnston against Pens, Bruins, Caps... and probably a minor acquisition like Zach Smith or Benoit Pouilliot against teams like Canes, Lightning, CBJ

that's the same bottom 6 they have right now and it's awful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad