Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

C24

Jan 25, 2018
Would be helpful if we stopped judging individual moves and instead only judged playoff wins.
Snow has been here for so long that he has to get something right every once in awhile. Today is another day passing that he does nothing. Meanwhile tonight Carolina is home vs. Detroit.

Reactions: bronxirish

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
In a sane organization run by sane people the GM ruling out a trade of JT while simultaneously taking no action to save a season flying off a cliff would indicate he is all but certain he is resigning. But the Isles are run by Garth Snow, who is insane, so I really don't know what to think.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Snow's track record is so bad I don't want him making any moves. Let's hope we get a new President in the off season and let the new guy right the ship.

Agree. I don't want him making any trades. Isles either sink or swim with the current roster + boychuk when/if he ever returns.

Reactions: 12Dog

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
In a sane organization run by sane people the GM ruling out a trade of JT while simultaneously taking no action to save a season flying off a cliff would indicate he is all but certain he is resigning. But the Isles are run by Garth Snow, who is insane, so I really don't know what to think.

No - The Isles are run by Ledecky/Malkin, but given the lack of front office moves you have to wonder if charles wang is still running the team...And he is the one who is truly insane.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
There is an collective incoherence inherent to this fanbase Islanders were a cap floor team for the first 8 years of Snow's tenure. He was there to thread water with limited resouces. NHL team with a minor league arena and a minor league fanbase, minor league revenue.

In the two years they were cap max at Barclays they improved. Snow made some sharp deals. Now things are changing again Barclays money is gone and the dog looks like it is returning to it's cap floor vomit back at the barn. Snow may be under orders to "Wilpon" the team and clean house when contracts expire.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
There is an collective incoherence inherent to this fanbase Islanders were a cap floor team for the first 8 years of Snow's tenure. He was there to thread water with limited resouces. NHL team with a minor league arena and a minor league fanbase, minor league revenue.

In the two years they were cap max at Barclays they improved. Snow made some sharp deals. Now things are changing again Barclays money is gone and the dog looks like it is returning to it's cap floor vomit back at the barn. Snow may be under orders to "Wilpon" the team and clean house when contracts expire.

So basically L & M are the 2nd Coming of Wang?

Did I get that correctly?

Reactions: C24

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore

No no no. Wang was heroic. I have deep respect for Wang as a man and for what he did for the Islanders Saved the club from imminent demise, Don't gloss over how Wang elevated the club from cap floor to cap max. L & M are trying to take Wang's work and do a quick real estate flip - even if it is at the expense of the clubs long term viability.

L&M = silent real estate serpent and his snake oil salesman sidekick

C24

Jan 25, 2018
No no no. Wang was heroic. I have deep respect for Wang as a man and for what he did for the Islanders Saved the club from imminent demise, Don't gloss over how Wang elevated the club from cap floor to cap max. L & M are trying to take Wang's work and do a quick real estate flip - even if it is at the expense of the clubs long term viability.

Lol the guy told a fan to shut up and you respect him. Two nuts.

lol!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Rotate your kaleidoscope to see it this way...

There are owners who win, and owners who lose.

We know which one wang is, and the jury is out on Ledecky & Malkin. However since we know everything wang touches turns to crap, why would L&M keep the same staff wang assembled and think that's ok?

Off ice I give L&M full credit for getting Belmont done, but if they're going to be the same owners in terms of on-ice moves then nothing else matters.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Rotate your kaleidoscope to see it this way...

There are owners who win, and owners who lose.

We know which one wang is, and the jury is out on Ledecky & Malkin. However since we know everything wang touches turns to crap, why would L&M keep the same staff wang assembled and think that's ok?

Off ice I give L&M full credit for getting Belmont done, but if they're going to be the same owners in terms of on-ice moves then nothing else matters.

The jury is out yet they have not had majority control of the team very long. For obvious reasons, the priority was finding a permanent home close to the core fanbase, now that that's done it's VERY OBVIOUS the second priority is resigning John Tavares. Anything and everything else pales in comparison to those two objectives....

I am not ready to write off L & M just yet, especially to categorize them as guys who are using the Isles as a means to a real estate venture. They bought the team at a NYC price and are now moving them back to suburban Long Island, that says a lot. I feel they will make some power moves in the next year...

• We are unaware of Snows current contract and can only pretend to know how "ironclad" it is
  • They did scope out the market for a potential team president, we have no idea whether they are still looking through resumes or if those candidates are sleeping on a job offer to see where the team winds up

Owners want a winning product, however the product is the team and only one team wins the cup each year, if they are making a substantial profit, they are winning, bottomline. The Cup has been mostly won and held by three super powers over the last decade - CHI, LAK AND PIT. I'm pretty sure L & M want in on playoff revenue and STH's, they would have to be very slow to think that the current roster and braintrust is capable of bringing them that.

Too many balls up in the air now and L &M are tactful businessmen who are probably hesitant to can a GM midseason who drafted their franchise player and impending UFA. I think Snow is on thin ice, we'll see how this all plays out but I feel if Snow sits on his hands, this is the last we will see of him.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
The jury is out yet they have not had majority control of the team very long. For obvious reasons, the priority was finding a permanent home close to the core fanbase, now that that's done it's VERY OBVIOUS the second priority is resigning John Tavares. Anything and everything else pales in comparison to those two objectives....

I am not ready to write off L & M just yet, especially to categorize them as guys who are using the Isles as a means to a real estate venture. They bought the team at a NYC price and are now moving them back to suburban Long Island, that says a lot. I feel they will make some power moves in the next year...

• We are unaware of Snows current contract and can only pretend to know how "ironclad" it is
  • They did scope out the market for a potential team president, we have no idea whether they are still looking through resumes or if those candidates are sleeping on a job offer to see where the team winds up

Owners want a winning product, however the product is the team and only one team wins the cup each year, if they are making a substantial profit, they are winning, bottomline. The Cup has been mostly won and held by three super powers over the last decade - CHI, LAK AND PIT. I'm pretty sure L & M want in on playoff revenue and STH's, they would have to be very slow to think that the current roster and braintrust is capable of bringing them that.

Too many balls up in the air now and L &M are tactful businessmen who are probably hesitant to can a GM midseason who drafted their franchise player and impending UFA. I think Snow is on thin ice, we'll see how this all plays out but I feel if Snow sits on his hands, this is the last we will see of him.

How come everything involving Snow is a secret? His contract, Capuano’s contract. How many and who scouts are? This guy is far more Mangini than Belichek.
A weak, unaccountable pretender.
As a long suffering fan, I obviously like a lot of what L&M have said and so far done. I think as a fan base we deserve another level of transparency in management. I don’t need to know dollars, how about who is in charge of what and for how long, and is there anybody accountable for anything?
Is that too much to ask?

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
If Snow is not going to do anything of importance in the next 2-3 weeks, then:

What was the point of unloading a top-4 defenseman for picks?

What was the point of paying substantial price to unload 1 year of Grabovski?

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The giants took 2 weeks to find a new coach and a new GM tobreplace a super bowl winning GM. Ledecky has been a owner for years. zero changes tobfront office. hes a bum. if youncare about winning. if your into the business side pro sports you could call him a success story. i am looking forba owner that cares about hockey.

Reactions: C24

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

At this point, every GM is going to know we are desperate for help on D. I do not think Garth is going to be able to negotiate from a position of power. An absolute over-pay is what I am sure he is running into from GM's when asking for any substantial defenceman.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
At this point, every GM is going to know we are desperate for help on D. I do not think Garth is going to be able to negotiate from a position of power. An absolute over-pay is what I am sure he is running into from GM's when asking for any substantial defenceman.
This is a given. But sitting on his hands right now is the wrong thing to do.
Which is exactly why he continues to do nothing.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Maybe L&M want to get rid of snow, can't because of a 10+ million buy out wang installed, and instead have to approve every move he makes. Maybe he had a deal on the table and L&M rejected it.

Sounds crazy right, but wouldn't be the first time owners have corralled their GM in sports. I mean do you think that snow fired capuano totally on his own?

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

Again, why would he mortgage the future when he doesn't know what will happen with JT and Bailey. JT is what is holding up Snow from making a move. Even overpaying.

JT needs to stop holding this team hostage and make up his freaking mind. Arena deal is done. Temporary home has been settled. This is the hockey team for NOW, unless he commits before the deadline so Snow can use picks / prospects to improve the D.

Reactions: ndgolden

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

He had a plan, but the plan failed. I think Snow has a tight cap scenario figured out, but I don't think he's ready for the current situation where lots of teams have flexibility.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Yes, but that's not the reason that prices will be high. The #1 reason is that anything snow wants, lots of other team would want so there will be a bidding war.

Even cheap/under the radar D-men who might normally be worth a 4th round pick other teams will be in on in this market and they might go for a 2nd rounder.

Then you have guys like Cody Ceci or better who will commend a ton in return.

You need good/top-4 d-man to win in today's NHL, and much like good QB's in the NFL, there are only so many out there and thus the demand is sky-high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad