Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Not sure why anyone in surprised. He is the second worst GM in the league. The only reason the Isles a semi-decent is bc the NHL's worst GM traded us our entire 2nd line and #2 D for pretty much nothing.

Truly believe that JT likes him and that is the only reason he is still here. JT leaves; Snow is fired.

I'm hoping either way he's fired, if JT signs, a week later I'd fire him (hoping Ledecky has made some calls and teeing up a couple of qualified candidates "informally") and needless to say if JT walks it's a matter of minutes before this baffoon is dismissed.

Reactions: IODCPiper

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Honest question here but who exactly do you think that is available now that Snow could deal for? Most team will wait till the trade deadline or offseason to get max value so Snow will have to overpay now

Say we traded a first and Mitch Van Sompel for Gudbranson(ie the only defenseman who I think may actually be available right now) would the people who think Snow should make a move for the sake of making a move?

Reactions: LeapOnOver

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
I can’t believe there are still apologists for this guy. I can be objective and say his tenure has not been all bad. His inability to make a move to help this team over and over is maddening. This year is simply about her example so far.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Honest question here but who exactly do you think that is available now that Snow could deal for? Most team will wait till the trade deadline or offseason to get max value so Snow will have to overpay now

Say we traded a first and Mitch Van Sompel for Gudbranson(ie the only defenseman who I think may actually be available right now) would the people who think Snow should make a move for the sake of making a move?

There is always someone available better than the bottom pair and bottom 6.

Snow doesn’t need to get the big fish but just about any fish is better than Aho, Prince, Quine, MDC, Fritz, and Chimera

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Snow doesn’t need to get the big fish but just about any fish is better than Aho, Prince, Quine, MDC, Fritz, and Chimera

The only other guy besides Gudbranson(who we would have to overpay for) I can see who might help is Garrison in Vegas(who was sent down to Vegas' AHL team). I am not sure how bad Garrison is but he probably could be had for cheap

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Both Garrison and gudbranson are bad players at this point in their careers.

Hammer in Phoenix is extremely overrated (cdh is miles better).

There's not a ton out there. At all.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Both Garrison and gudbranson are bad players at this point in their careers.

That's basically my point, while you could argue they might be a small upgrade to our defense is it worth the price of trading for them(especially Gudbranson who I think will get way more then he is worth, especially if we tried to trade for him before the deadline)

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
Can we stop pretending we know what’s available from our living rooms? We have no idea. What we do know is that historically there are always deals to be made. We have the assets to make them. Doing nothing is unacceptable.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Can we stop pretending we know what’s available from our living rooms? We have no idea. What we do know is that historically there are always deals to be made. We have the assets to make them. Doing nothing is unacceptable.

in the same breath can we stop getting mad that the Islanders don't make hypothetical trades that aren't there. Simple fact is if a player gets traded we can look at the trade and blame snow if it looks like we could have beat that offer(with the exception we were on a no trade list or the team making the trade specifically targeted a player that we don't have).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can’t believe there are still apologists for this guy. I can be objective and say his tenure has not been all bad. His inability to make a move to help this team over and over is maddening. This year is simply about her example so far.

I haven't seen one apology in here. Only common sense statements surrounded by drivel. It's like S&M in these threads. Folks are clamoring for Snow to make a Vanek move (because that is all you are going to get this time of the season) so they'll have something more to ridicule in the offseason while the team gets decimated. Snow is guilty of a lot of things, but sitting on his hands during a time when GM's make horrible decisions overpaying for rentals is not one of them. Might be one of the few things he's mediocre at.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Really? That's what you think is going to be the difference between playoffs and golf? Honestly? Why bother overpaying for a bottom 6er (that's what happens this time of year) just to eek into the playoffs. We have a chance of making the playoffs either way. A bottom 6 guy isn't going to suddenly propel us into cup contention. Why not wait until the prices go down in the offseason? Why waste assets to buy when things are more expensive? I don't get the rationale at all...

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
What’s wrong with sending a 3rd round pick to a team that’s out of it for a number 5 dman. Yes a move like that does not make them cup contenders but it does give them a better chance to make the playoffs.

Players are always available, the public often doesn’t know about them.

Applauding Snow for watching the defense flounder is mind boggling.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Wang gave him a 20 year extension before he sold the team. Snow can sit back and collect a check and if he gets fired he will still get paid.

I wonder what he would do if his contract was up after this year?
It’s funny, the legend of the Wang/Snow goodbye gift contract keeps getting bigger. Now it’s a TWENTY year contract lol.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
A good GM wouid have made something happen given that one of his best D men is down for the season. Even if he overpays (within reason), this is a pivotal year. Your franchise center is much more likely to walk if you fail to make the playoffs. One must factor that into the context.

That said, we wouldn’t be in this predicament if he built this team better the years prior. Foremost, this last offseason assuming that Pelech could step into Hammers spot and play just as well; or generally believing the D was good enough. Snow was wrong.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
A good GM wouid have made something happen given that one of his best D men is down for the season. Even if he overpays (within reason), this is a pivotal year. Your franchise center is much more likely to walk if you fail to make the playoffs. One must factor that into the context.

That said, we wouldn’t be in this predicament if he built this team better the years prior. Foremost, this last offseason assuming that Pelech could step into Hammers spot and play just as well; or generally believing the D was good enough. Snow was wrong.

In all fairness with the Isles arena situation being at first in shambles (NVMC) and then up in the air.... what UFA was going to sign here, outside of getting a really bad deal like Ladd. I think he did not draft well at times, and I think he could have hired better coaches for sure, but he was handcuffed with trying to sell UFA's on the Islanders and that my have hurt his regime most.

As for this year, not sure what player he could acquire to address the defense needs. We are not sure what asking price is on Demers, Hjalmarsson, Yandle, Scandella etc... and signing Franson would give us 2 Seidenbergs. I guess we shall see the next few weeks

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What’s wrong with sending a 3rd round pick to a team that’s out of it for a number 5 dman. Yes a move like that does not make them cup contenders but it does give them a better chance to make the playoffs.

Players are always available, the public often doesn’t know about them.

Applauding Snow for watching the defense flounder is mind boggling.

Again, I don't see any applauding or apologizing. Where are all these magical posts of people lauding Snow? Please do share! Maybe they are all people I have on ignore?

As far as making a trade for a 5th dman. 5th dman are already over priced. I just don't see the logic in giving up an asset for somebody that may or may not eek us into the playoffs and then be gone in July. We aren't going to march through the playoffs, we'll be stopped when we hit Boston or Tampa for sure, probably even earlier. I'm not 100% against a move like that, I just think it's a nominal decision and I certainly ain't going to let my panties wad up if it doesn't happen.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Let's see, weekend is over, Garth had his direct deposit clear on Friday so he gets back to work now. A slight hangover but nothing a few bloody marys can't handle I guess. In the meantime he and the isles are cruising into February with a huge 1,000 lb elephant in the room. We all know what that is......

Reactions: bronxirish

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not claiming Jokinen when we throw Fritz and Quine out every night is unacceptable. He is a horrible GM with the biggest ego in the league.

When I saw Jokinen in a few games earlier this season, he stunk. Looked a good step behind the play.

That said, we don't know if Snow made a claim for him or not. Maybe Columbus was before the NYI in the pecking order?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think Snow will eventually do something.

I'm guessing that everyone feels the market will be changing a bit in the coming weeks and then we'll see a tweak here or there.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
People saying the Isles have no shot of doing anything in the playoffs are laughable. Team has the best offense in the NHL.

This reminds me of every other year when Snow just sits there because we don't want to risk the future for today. Yeah.. Go ahead of tell Tavares that, I'm sure he agrees with not giving up the pick for Mike Green or Robin Lehner.

Reactions: bronxirish

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
Here is the bottom line that some people can't seem to fathom. Teams in contention at times have to overpay a little to help their chances. There are buyer and sellers markets. It seems like we may be in a sellers market. That doesn't mean you can't get anything done. No one is advocating mortgaging the future. You can deal an asset like a second or third round pick for help. That isn't going to set the franchise back. However doing nothing or waiting till the deadline could set this franchise back significantly.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
No one is advocating mortgaging the future. You can deal an asset like a second or third round pick for help. That isn't going to set the franchise back. However doing nothing or waiting till the deadline could set this franchise back significantly.

Yeah, but WHY TRY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?! I don't get it. You just lose an asset for nothing! WHY TRY!?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Nothing has happened since that Duclair for Panik trade a few weeks back. I'm hoping we will see something soon because this is getting boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad