Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

C24

Jan 25, 2018
Why would he make a trade? According to Snow, Weight and ownership everything is just fine. We are going to turn it around.
Snow has the owners under his spell.

Attachments

• Drac.jpg
    Drac.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's been an obvious problem since game 1, and it's far more damaging than the PP was when it was broken. Last season under Capuano I called out his strong side overload defensive scheme, never in a million years could I imagine someone would find a way to make it worse. All this coaching staff did was make the D more aggressive and pull the forwards down lower in the zone. Complete clown show. It was a big factor in the bad change goal the other night... go back and look, BOTH D were on top of eachother coming out of the LW corner. Because of that, and the wingers breaking out so low... the D has little time to change up and a long way to go to do it. This idiotic system is a fireable offense on it's own.

Fritz is a better option than Chimera.... but that isn't saying much. Hickey (nice turnover from behind his own net causing the first goal) is an upgrade over Strait too, but he needs to GTFO too.

I love the wingers breaking out lower, but I hate the way the team determines who and when they go help the defense in the corner. Having two defensemen in the corner is a recipe for disaster every time. Personally, I think the neutral zone is the bigger issue. We get absolutely killed in that department constantly. That's why even when the shots are low(er?) against, they still give up a ton of goals because of the grade A chances in transition.

As for Hall, #Isles didn't offer what EDM wanted, which was Hamonic. Plain and simple.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday)

This is definitely accurate.

C24

Jan 25, 2018
We keep asking about JT, but what about Bailey? Has Snow made him an offer? What is it that Snow actually does?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
We keep asking about JT, but what about Bailey? Has Snow made him an offer? What is it that Snow actually does?

My guess is that one is dependent on the other. If Tavares doesn't resign, I'm guessing you'd be saying goodbye to UFAs for the next 3 years.

Reactions: C24

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Staple said that it was Hammer for Hall I thought. Do you have some sort of link to this post?

As for Hall, #Isles didn't offer what EDM wanted, which was Hamonic. Plain and simple.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday)

Seems MJF answered for you both. Staples original tweet was in error. He rescinded it. People just tried to connect dots to make it fact. I also read another quote that by the time Hall was available Chia preferred Larsson. It's obvious the timeline didn't work out as both Hall and Hamonic were available (publicly) during different time periods.

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I love the wingers breaking out lower, but I hate the way the team determines who and when they go help the defense in the corner. Having two defensemen in the corner is a recipe for disaster every time. Personally, I think the neutral zone is the bigger issue. We get absolutely killed in that department constantly. That's why even when the shots are low(er?) against, they still give up a ton of goals because of the grade A chances in transition.

I believe that is a symptom of the wingers playing so low. The breakout absolutely sucks, and it's due to the system causing an ungodly amount of own zone turnovers. Because the D is so aggressive, when someone does win a battle and retrieve the puck the option to go D to D is rarely there. You can't go D to D when you're in the same corner. Conversely, because the forwards are so low in the zone, there are no quick ups available and you can't wheel the puck. Even worse, in a normal breakout when the puck is retrieved, the forwards swing low (make a small loop around the circles) giving the D a passing option. When all your forwards are below the top of the circles, this is no longer effective. It leaves the defensemen without options and they often have to try to skate it out of trouble or blindly pass it into open ice and hope it doesn't result in a turnover. If the D can get it to the wingers, they aren't doing it with speed through the neutral zone. They need a coach that will employ a system that can be executed by the personel they have. Go to a passive box and this will look like a completely different team, even with Hickey in the second pairing.

Reactions: 12Dog and PK Cronin

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Another day on the "job" for Snow and another day of zero activity

...And thank god for that.

I view snow like a toddler who's fallen into the lion pit at the zoo. Just hoping the kid doesn't make any sudden moves before we can get him the heck out of there.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone remember the milbury years? Because of that, I don’t expect much from a gm. (Just don’t make us worse!). And I always like to think that Garth is doing well. He has some gems. Our D is a systematic problem. That’s on Luke Richardson. We have fine defensive players, but they’re not playing the right way. Goaltending is something that Garth should have addressed. To see Mrazek go to Philly for a couple of mid round draft picks is a failure on garth’s Part. He could have and should have easily acquired Mrazak at that price.

I seriously wonder if people tolerate snow because of how low things got around here before he arrived.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I believe that is a symptom of the wingers playing so low. The breakout absolutely sucks, and it's due to the system causing an ungodly amount of own zone turnovers. Because the D is so aggressive, when someone does win a battle and retrieve the puck the option to go D to D is rarely there. You can't go D to D when you're in the same corner. Conversely, because the forwards are so low in the zone, there are no quick ups available and you can't wheel the puck. Even worse, in a normal breakout when the puck is retrieved, the forwards swing low (make a small loop around the circles) giving the D a passing option. When all your forwards are below the top of the circles, this is no longer effective. It leaves the defensemen without options and they often have to try to skate it out of trouble or blindly pass it into open ice and hope it doesn't result in a turnover. If the D can get it to the wingers, they aren't doing it with speed through the neutral zone. They need a coach that will employ a system that can be executed by the personel they have. Go to a passive box and this will look like a completely different team, even with Hickey in the second pairing.

Go to 3:30 of this video to see what I'm trying to explain....

A few things. First off, I love those types of videos so thanks for posting it.

Second, I should've clarified my comment about how low I want the forwards to go. I love that the forwards are breaking out lower than they did with Capuano, I've definitely mentioned that elsewhere on here before, and should've included it in that post. You're absolutely right that they often go too low, and they shouldn't go below the top of the circles if they can help it. I really prefer the center to swing up a few feet off the wall as the passing option for the winger (I think there was an example of that in the video). The stretch pass and guys bailing early on the zone drove me nuts with Capuano, so seeing that Weight wants them breaking out lower is a breath of fresh air. It's weird that the forwards are still leaving the zone early though, since they're normally so much lower. The D to D pass is definitely an issue and that's part of why I don't believe in having two D in the same corner. It just doesn't make sense on almost any level. Weight wants the team to overwhelm the puck and win the battle low in order to break out quickly, but it's having the opposite effect because they aren't good at it. I've often said that having a guy who can win those board battles is key for the system Weight runs (like a Doughty or Karlsson), because they can do exactly what you're saying with skating out of trouble. Do you think the system is too complex? We often see guys getting really confused as to who they are supposed to cover or what their role is, and that's just really strange to me. It kind of reminds me of the PK strategy, super difficult to execute properly and has little upside over more traditional strategies even when it's executed well.

Lastly, the neutral zone issue I have is with the 1-1-3. It gives the opposition way too much room to gain the red line and dump it in. That starts the sequence of events that leads to the turnovers you're talking about because everyone is so low. I also don't think it compliments the offensive zone style the team plays and we see so many costly turnovers that lead to odd man rushes. I feel like the defensemen pinching in must be coached because it's happening constantly. The players can't just not listen to the game plan, right?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It’s such an Islander thing. They had George McPhee firmly in their grasp; within the organization. They don’t promote him to GM, he leaves, goes on the construct one hell of a team in Vegas (and not to mention build a strong prospect pool through ONE draft). Amazing work by McPhee.

Even if they come back down to earth next season. That franchise is in a MUCH better place than this one.

Shame on NYI.

Reactions: Instant and C24

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It’s such an Islander thing. They had George McPhee firmly in their grasp; within the organization. They don’t promote him to GM, he leaves, goes on the construct one hell of a team in Vegas (and not to mention build a strong prospect pool through ONE draft). Amazing work by McPhee.

Even if they come back down to earth next season. That franchise is in a MUCH better place than this one.

Shame on NYI.

I was wondering if others would eventually bring this up. It is bitter indeed!

And I had heard so many bad things about McPhee before this amazing thing in Vegas started happening...

But what has been going on out there in the desert is just tremendous for the sport and that kind of Cinderella story we all love deep down in our hearts.

At the same time, we should look at this thing realistically.

The way this expansion was set up by the NHL, Bettman did all he could to give Vegas as advantageous a head start as possible.

The short list of assets you could protrect, McPhee's opportunity to grab 30 players right off the bat, an automatic lottery pick... McPhee's group was in the driver's seat from Day 1. Carte Blanche. Pole position in making deals with just about every team in the league in order not to take this, this or that guy.

Alone the opportunity to add Theodore and Tuch plus 2 extra 1st rounders while still collecting 30 bodies, a number of which were automatically destined for trade and several of which further taken with the sole purpose of pawning them off for other assets.

It was virtually a GM's play day at Toys R Us!

They've done GREAT - don't get me wrong. His decision to hire Gallant has, for example, been a stroke of genious. And he found players willing to buy into not accepting that they're just some doormat as part of a first year team.

But it's not like McPhee had little more than a bunch of AHLers to work with and has become a miracle worker. It not like he entered the season with a bunch of guys who were 35+ years old and holding on for dear life for a year or two more of NHL hockey. This wasn't just a bunch of pure cast-offs.

Nonetheless, the fact remains that McPhee has a team well on its way to the playoffs with a nice bushel full of futures. He's done that in less than a 12 month period of time. And the 12-year body of work Snow has running right now pales in comparison.

McPhee will eventually face all the cap-era concerns all the other GMs have been facing for a while. That effects a boatload of decisions. Already this offseason he'll have a ton of contractual decisions to make and perhaps other teams will become sharks in his waters coming to grab some of those players making a name for themselves.

He got to start fresh and I'd like to think that most of the GMs out there would have put together a similar team or at least a team with tons of picks and prospects.

It's been fun to watch - that's for sure!

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
All of this talk about McPhee ignores an important point. McPhee had the advantage of starting with a clean slate, whereas Garth has been hampered by having to deal with what was left to him by the previous Neil Smith regime. He's done the best that could be expected under the circumstances.

:sarcasm:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
All of this talk about McPhee ignores an important point. McPhee had the advantage of starting with a clean slate, whereas Garth has been hampered by having to deal with what was left to him by the previous Neil Smith regime. He's done the best that could be expected under the circumstances.

:sarcasm:

I was about to slam this post and then I scrolled down and saw the :sarcasm: !!!!

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

Was about to slam this as well. LOL. Snow is clown. Get him out of here!!!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Makes no sense for Toronto to do that though. Tavares could walk 2 months later and sign elsewhere. The only way he goes to Toronto is if he chooses to go there with no assets given up.

Sign and trade with the contract for 7 years change your mind?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad