Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Friendly reminder that Snow turned down Hamonic for Hall (who is on a 19 game point streak)
I've seen people say they would've had to give up more, but obviously whatever they would have to have give up short of JT or Barzal would've been robbery. Can you imagine a line with JT and Hall? Jesus Christ. I'm in Newark tonight and he is literally a one man team, it's insane.

Reactions: Eberzal

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Friendly reminder that Snow turned down Hamonic for Hall (who is on a 19 game point streak)

mehhhhh this was never really confirmed. details there were very unclear

regardless this is getting bad. reality is starting to set in that we may lose JT for nothing on july 1st. If we keep him this team has potential (but still some awful, awful contracts)

If JT does walk, we will all be glad that snow is gone (he'll be fired shortly after one has to assume) but in reality we just got one last f*** you that will set the team back years.

Its a complete lose lose

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
1. The first line has sucked recently.
2. Snow is FAR from brilliant.

Weekly Reader: Ranking all 31 NHL GMs into tiers

There are only three general managers employed longer than Snow, who was hired in 2006: Poile, Ken Holland and Wilson. All three have had their teams play for the Stanley Cup since Snow was hired. Their teams advanced past the first round 16 times since Snow was hired.

Snow's teams have never played for a championship. During that span, they advanced past the first round once.

I don’t agree w their evaluation of his drafting. He hasn’t drafted well.

Reactions: MikeyMike01 and C24

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Any other GM would put Griess on waiver. Let him go find his game in the AHL like Halak did.

They feel he's a good guy. They like him as a teammate. They like him as a human being.

And Snow is a stand-up GM. He'd never do such a thing to one his goalten...

He'd never do such a thing to one of his far-from-home Europea...

He doesn't do.... anything.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Boychuk is back, we are in a playoff spot, why let the season go? please do something to help this team make the playoffs garth... believe it or not it is kind of your job

True. The problem isn't that we desperately need to upgrade on the players we have (especially as long as we're able to keep Seidenberg out of the line-up), but rather the tactic being used that has allowed several million shots against in recent weeks.

That needs to be fixed first and foremost.

And it would start with an emphasis on, and the consequence of, owning the bluelines, where the boys have been failing in abundance.

Weight had plenty of time to alter that. If he had done so effectively, we'd not only have more points now, but Snow could also be concentrating on upgrading the team with guys who fit in the PROPER and FUNCTIONING system.

But instead, we've got our own little version of helter skelter.

Time to let the guys we have decide if they can own their fate in such a run-n-gun atmosphere.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If they (management) are serious about getting this team to the playoffs...

1. Fritz, Quine and Prince will not dress again.
2. At least one healthy defenseman with NHL experience and some life left to his game will be added, if only to keep Seidenberg out of the lineup.
3. The coaching staff will immediately stop this incredibly dumb defensive system that does not work.
4. A competent, NHL caliber bottom 6 forward with life left to his game that can PK will be added to cut down on JT's ice time keeping him fresh for scoring situations.

And it will still be an uphill battle to get in

Sounds good, but we all know that Number 3 is far and away the most important on the list and it hasn't been changed although its flaws have been clear since November.

Why would it change now?

It's existence make the other points non-relevant.

PS) For me it's been clear that the team has been better with Fritz in the line-up than Chimera. At least he plays like a guy who knows he may never have another shot like this again.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Snow became Wang’s buddy when Wang realized he wasn’t getting a real estate deal and cut expenses to the bone. Snow went along with the program when any legitimate GM would’ve walked. Hence the friendship.

In all seriousness, how many people get to have it as good as Snow has?

You go from barely-making-the-grade NHL back-up to GM completely free of any qualification (or internship, grooming, minor league experience, etc.) just because you chatted with an owner clueless about the sport and he "liked" you. He thought you were a clever dude!

Bam! Rock-solid, almost stress-free job for the next 12(+) seasons. What's he earning, BTW? Are we talking 200 k per? 800 k per? What's he getting for his many hours at the office?

Gotta hand it to him, it's prolly been the easiest path to a life of management a person could imaginably have.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I am guessing Snow is going to add a top 4 D-man in the next week or so, I just hope he is not going to overpay to get them, especially after this latest Billboard thing he might feel pressured to do something, really hope he is not going to trade Ho-Sang or another move that could look bad

How do you think he's getting that Top 4 D?:)

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
In all seriousness, how many people life get to have it as good as Snow has?

You go from barely-making-the-grade NHL back-up to GM completely free of any qualification (or internship, grooming, minor league experience, etc.) just because you chatted with an owner clueless about the sport and he "liked" you. He thought you were a clever dude!

Bam! Rock-solid, almost stress-free job for the next 12(+) seasons. What's he earning, BTW? Are we talking 200 k per? 800 k per? What's he getting for his many hours at the office?

Gotta hand it to him, it's prolly the easiest path to a life of management a person could imaginably have.

Fantastic post.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
In all seriousness, how many people life get to have it as good as Snow has?

Gotta hand it to him, it's prolly the easiest path to a life of management a person could imaginably have.

I happen to think we all manifest our posts in life and somehow Snow has manged himself into this lofty position for 12 years. Wish I could get a whiff of that magick dust he has sprinkled on the powers to be. I mean all seriousness, 12 years, 4 playoff spots, numerous top 5 picks and 1 playoff round win. I happen to think some us could do just as well and possibly better on 1/4 salary....

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Was there ever more than hearsay about this?

I don't remember hearing anything other than an Arthur Staple tweet or two.

And that was at a time where everyone knew about Hamonic's trade wish, made just before that season. I.e. the clear connection EVERYONE could think up in light of where Hamonic would want to land.

Can't imagine what Hall would look like on this team!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I happen to think we all manifest our posts in life and somehow Snow has manged himself into this lofty position for 12 years. Wish I could get a whiff of that magick dust he has sprinkled on the powers to be. I mean all seriousness, 12 years, 4 playoff spots, numerous top 5 picks and 1 playoff round win. I happen to think some us could do just as well and possibly better on 1/4 salary....

The more I think about it, the more respect I have for WHAT Snow has achieved in light of the overall circumstances and utter lack of experience he brought to the table.

I think what most fans feel is not soooo much contempt for Snow per say, but rather that we've got (and had) owners who won't place "achievement" as the requirement for maintaining a specific job in which "achievement" basically needs to be the number one reason for having a guy in that job in the first place.

We know what Snow is and what he's (not) capable of.

And being an Islander fan has come to mean that we only know life as a thing of pure mediocrity.

When do the owners decide that this is no longer acceptable???

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Anyone remember the milbury years? Because of that, I don’t expect much from a gm. (Just don’t make us worse!). And I always like to think that Garth is doing well. He has some gems. Our D is a systematic problem. That’s on Luke Richardson. We have fine defensive players, but they’re not playing the right way. Goaltending is something that Garth should have addressed. To see Mrazek go to Philly for a couple of mid round draft picks is a failure on garth’s Part. He could have and should have easily acquired Mrazak at that price.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Friendlier reminder...

garth snow - 11 years, 4 playoff appearences, 1 series win.

This is the bigger issue, as the Hamonic for Hall trade was rumored to be shut down by Edmonton just as much as it was rumored to be denied by Snow. No real confirmation anywhere on that one. This team is run like the Mets. I get to enjoy both...and the Jets too. La vita e bella!

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
The Isles, Hurricanes, and Jets are the only teams without a trade this season.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Sounds good, but we all know that Number 3 is far and away the most important on the list and it hasn't been changed although its flaws have been clear since November.

Why would it change now?

It's existence make the other points non-relevant.

It's been an obvious problem since game 1, and it's far more damaging than the PP was when it was broken. Last season under Capuano I called out his strong side overload defensive scheme, never in a million years could I imagine someone would find a way to make it worse. All this coaching staff did was make the D more aggressive and pull the forwards down lower in the zone. Complete clown show. It was a big factor in the bad change goal the other night... go back and look, BOTH D were on top of eachother coming out of the LW corner. Because of that, and the wingers breaking out so low... the D has little time to change up and a long way to go to do it. This idiotic system is a fireable offense on it's own.

PS) For me it's been clear that the team has been better with Fritz in the line-up than Chimera. At least he plays like a guy who knows he may never have another shot like this again.

Fritz is a better option than Chimera.... but that isn't saying much. Hickey (nice turnover from behind his own net causing the first goal) is an upgrade over Strait too, but he needs to GTFO too.

C24

Jan 25, 2018
Well it is approaching 3 o'clock. So Snow should be waking up soon. Hopefully he will make a good move.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Well it is approaching 3 o'clock. So Snow should be waking up soon. Hopefully he will make a good move.

Why would he make a trade? According to Snow, Weight and ownership everything is just fine. We are going to turn it around.

Reactions: C24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad