Garth Snow Pt. III - Snow’s inactivity

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
The only part of Snow's commentary I agree with is that we SHOULD NOT be giving up first round picks for rentals. That is just not worth it for this team right now. If we were top 5 sure bet to contend for a cup, yes — but not as a bubble at best team.

Where I am disappointed is what seems to be his inability to make a "hockey deal" or to deal for a player with term using 4 of his top 2 round picks.

For me...

Isles have 2 firsts, and 2 seconds.
I believe one of Isles high forward prospects (Ho Sang, Dal Colle) could be included in a deal.
I believe one of Isles defense prospects (Vande Somple, Aho, Wortherspoon) could be included in deal.
Of the current roster players I believe Nelson, Prince, Quine, Seidenberg, Chimera, Greiss) could all be included going the other way — while none of these players are prime, they can and would fill gaps for teams acquiring them on the short term.

I suspect and trade parter for the NYI is a clear seller, and that the deal would hinge around prospects and picks and a reasonable body or two.

So — I find it tough to believe the NYIs cannot put a package that looks like a first round pick, a second round pick, one prospect, one current roster player — and be able to get a very good defender with some term on his contract.

I just find it tough to believe Arizona would not take the following…
NYI first, CGY second, Nelson for a player like Hjalmarsson.

With Arizona — they have 50 contracts as I understand it, so they cannot take a lot of bodies back.

I just find it surprising they cannot make a deal for a top 4 defender.

Reactions: C24

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Of course they'd jump on that deal!

Problem is, Hjalmarsson ain't worth that.

It's like acquiring de Haan for that package - and I think de Haan is the better player.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Was Milbury really worse than Snow? Milbury had even cheaper ownership and provided equally horrible results
I think Milbury was definitely worse than Snow. I mean, look at the trades. Look at the revolving door of coaches (including himself, twice) and the absolutely embarrassing way he carried himself and represented the club. Just a truly despicable human being. Every-time I see his ugly face I want to spit right at him.

Snow's results are abysmal no doubt. But at least he won a playoff round and "built" a mediocre team. Yes Milbury was hampered by poor/cheap ownership for the first couple of years but in 2001, Milbury was given a rebuild on a silver platter and cash to spend. He had multiple blue chip prospects and draft picks that were the envy of every GM. And a new owner willing to spend. He made incredibly stupid decisions and the team "peaked" with a few one-and-out seasons. When he left, the team was a lotto loser with the cupboard completely bare. It's truly amazing what Milbury squandered. And absolutely nothing to show for it except the Shawn Bates penalty shot.

Snow's accomplishments, as pathetic as they are, trump Milbury's.

Then of course there was Maloney prior. Who dismantled the promising '93 team. This team has had the worst owners, GM's and coaches imaginable.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
What teams have rebuilt/retooled in the span of Garth’s 12 years?
-Boston
-NJD
-Toronto
-TBL
-LAK
-Winnipeg

Who else am I missing?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
-Boston
-NJD
-Toronto
-TBL
-LAK
-Winnipeg

Who else am I missing?

Well there's this team out west who didn't exist a year ago and are having a better season in year 1 than any garth snow led team.

Reactions: 12Dog

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
-Boston
-NJD
-Toronto
-TBL
-LAK
-Winnipeg

Who else am I missing?
Anaheim before they fell off a cliff after 2008.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Last year Garth blamed missing the playoffs on an injury to his AHL goaltender. This year he is blaming the Isles' failures on injuries to an AHL player and an NHL player. So he's actually improving in his excuse-making. Let's give credit where credit is due.

I wonder if Snow even realizes he's kind of condemning himself with his statement. If the team he assembled falls apart because of two injuries (one of which is a player not even on the NHL roster), then that suggests the GM didn't do a very good job of assembling a strong roster.

No true contender should fall apart with a single injury or two. So if Snow is going to stand behind losing De Haan as the reason (don't know why he included Toews ...), then he's indicting himself.

Reactions: periferal

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
I just like the fact Snow values his top 4 picks in this draft and not use them for a rental. Boychuk and Kule plus a minor deal will have to be the boost to the team. 3 of our top 4 picks should be D men. Any excess D man can be traded to improve the forward group. Snow probably has 3 years at least to show new owners what he has got. Where that leaves JT I do not know.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
The only part of Snow's commentary I agree with is that we SHOULD NOT be giving up first round picks for rentals. That is just not worth it for this team right now. If we were top 5 sure bet to contend for a cup, yes — but not as a bubble at best team.

Where I am disappointed is what seems to be his inability to make a "hockey deal" or to deal for a player with term using 4 of his top 2 round picks.

For me...

Isles have 2 firsts, and 2 seconds.
I believe one of Isles high forward prospects (Ho Sang, Dal Colle) could be included in a deal.
I believe one of Isles defense prospects (Vande Somple, Aho, Wortherspoon) could be included in deal.
Of the current roster players I believe Nelson, Prince, Quine, Seidenberg, Chimera, Greiss) could all be included going the other way — while none of these players are prime, they can and would fill gaps for teams acquiring them on the short term.

I suspect and trade parter for the NYI is a clear seller, and that the deal would hinge around prospects and picks and a reasonable body or two.

So — I find it tough to believe the NYIs cannot put a package that looks like a first round pick, a second round pick, one prospect, one current roster player — and be able to get a very good defender with some term on his contract.

With Arizona — they have 50 contracts as I understand it, so they cannot take a lot of bodies back.

I just find it surprising they cannot make a deal for a top 4 defender.

the NYI first may end up being Rasmus Dahlin. And you may be getting a good defenseman with term (not sure who exactly that may be) BUT at the same time, may lose Tavares and Bailey and deHaan and Hickey by July 1st. The issue is ONE good defenseman doesn't make the Isles much better. They're a really bad hockey team, especially defensively.

Let's not be seduced by offensive points/game but a few good players - the whole team, as a unit, is a really bad team. If they can't withstand a couple of injuries - not to their top players - and finish in the top 16 to make the playoffs (divisions/wildcard notwithstanding) - then how can adding a single piece on defense, for "futures" be a smart move?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I think Milbury was definitely worse than Snow. I mean, look at the trades. Look at the revolving door of coaches (including himself, twice) and the absolutely embarrassing way he carried himself and represented the club. Just a truly despicable human being. Every-time I see his ugly face I want to spit right at him.

Snow's results are abysmal no doubt. But at least he won a playoff round and "built" a mediocre team. Yes Milbury was hampered by poor/cheap ownership for the first couple of years but in 2001, Milbury was given a rebuild on a silver platter and cash to spend. He had multiple blue chip prospects and draft picks that were the envy of every GM. And a new owner willing to spend. He made incredibly stupid decisions and the team "peaked" with a few one-and-out seasons. When he left, the team was a lotto loser with the cupboard completely bare. It's truly amazing what Milbury squandered. And absolutely nothing to show for it except the Shawn Bates penalty shot.

Snow's accomplishments, as pathetic as they are, trump Milbury's.

Then of course there was Maloney prior. Who dismantled the promising '93 team. This team has had the worst owners, GM's and coaches imaginable.

Seeing Peca give an interview with Stan Fischler a few nights ago brought back memories of how quick the euphoria of that 2002 team was over. Laviolette gone the next year, Peca never the same again ... biggest new additions being Aaron Asham and Jason Wiemer - what a shame.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
snow has sucked pretty much all excitement I have for this team. They can't win with Tavares, so what difference does it make if he stays? I still hope he does, but there's no way we should be acquiring players to appease him.

At this point I'd be selling players and I'd definitely trade Bailey if you can get a 1st round pick + for him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Does anyone else realize the horrid irony it would be if snow lets Bailey walk for nothing when he essentially gave up a 1st round pick to have Vegas not take him last summer?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Does anyone else realize the horrid irony it would be if snow lets Bailey walk for nothing when he essentially gave up a 1st round pick to have Vegas not take him last summer?

He gave up a first rounder to stop them from taking anyone, we can't look at that as a 1 for 1 type of protection because it wasn't.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
snow has sucked pretty much all excitement I have for this team. They can't win with Tavares, so what difference does it make if he stays? I still hope he does, but there's no way we should be acquiring players to appease him.

At this point I'd be selling players and I'd definitely trade Bailey if you can get a 1st round pick + for him.
I’d sell on everyone, including JT. Pick up another 2 1st rounders in the process, and bring in a new GM with real scouts. Draft a bunch of players in the first round and try to sign Tavares while he’s on the free market. We could retool this whole team without the stench of Snow in one offseason.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Seeing Peca give an interview with Stan Fischler a few nights ago brought back memories of how quick the euphoria of that 2002 team was over. Laviolette gone the next year, Peca never the same again ... biggest new additions being Aaron Asham and Jason Wiemer - what a shame.

You feeling de ja vu yet?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I’d sell on everyone, including JT. Pick up another 2 1st rounders in the process, and bring in a new GM with real scouts. Draft a bunch of players in the first round and try to sign Tavares while he’s on the free market. We could retool this whole team without the stench of Snow in one offseason.

So extreme but I have to agree. I'd make Nelson and Bailey available at the deadline WITHOUT A DOUBT. I think Bailey could net a 1st, Nelson probably a 2nd.

JT is a tougher call but if the playoffs are out the question I wonder if he would accept a trade for the sake of improving the team only to sign with us later.... it's not like guys traded at the deadline have never gone back to their team.

Snow has been much better in the second half of the 1st round, I have no confidence in him making a pick in the 4-10 range, none. Pulock, Barzal, Ho-Sang and Beauvillier were all in the second half of the 1st round. If we could stockpile picks, we'll have a few shots at hitting a home run.

Reactions: periferal and C24

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
He gave up a first rounder to stop them from taking anyone, we can't look at that as a 1 for 1 type of protection because it wasn't.

True, but Bailey only made himself protectable after last years performance. Going into last season, very few were high on Bailey.

I think you need to look at the past and the future.

The Past: Tavares has gotten Moulson, Parenteau and Boyes producing.
The Future: Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, Ho-Sang and Others will not be on ELC's forever. Any of which IMO could equal or surpass Bailey's production. Wiser to keep that $ available for them.

Regardless of whether this team makes the playoffs or not, they are not constructed to make a run. They are by no means a contender.

So the point of keeping Bailey would be to... Please Tavares? Try and steal a Round?

Everyone and their mother is talking about how this draft is the deepest in years with as many as 10 defensemen being picked in the 1st round. I know we could use a defensemen, I probably sound like a broken record but look at what Werenski, McAvoy, Gostisbehere, Sergachev have done for their respective teams... We need to add a guy cut from that cloth. I'm not betting my money on Devon Toews just yet despite the Isles Brass making him out to be the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad