TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part V (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's bugging me how Bran wasn't warned beforehand about being "touched" by the White Walkers in his visions, because clearly the Raven knows the risks and consequences.

I'm assuming he knew considering Hodor's past and had no inclination of warning him to keep balance with time.

Or something. The idea that Bran himself affected things and he had the power to stop it is a bit convoluted, but like with most time travel narratives you kind of have to ignore the logistical issues in order for it to work.

Apr 28, 2010
Wonder if Brienne's sword will come up in conversation at some point.

Sansa "Nice sword, where did you get it from?"

Brienne "Oh it used to be your fathers"

Ohhhh it'll come up! Cant wait to see Sansa's reaction when she finds out where Brienne got the sword.

Battle of Winterfell could get messy. Too many people have trust issues or at least hiding something from each other.

Brienne/Davos/Melisandre
Jon/Sansa
Sansa/Brienne

Something will fall apart.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bran was smiling because his grandfather was seeing his father off before he left for the Vale.
He looked so at peace with himself leisurefully watching a flashback considering that he knew the White Walkers were coming to kill them. I mean, the Blood Raven knew what he was doing-- I get that...... Would have expected Bran to be a bit more panicked/restless, or at least alert.
Seems to me that would have made less sense if presented this way. I mean, they had to go into Hodor's past, so I'm not sure how else they could have framed it. Not sure why we would want more misdirection when your complaint is that it didn't make enough sense as it was happening.
It was basically dead air waiting for the reveal. I felt the payoff would be more satisfying if it interrupted an actual flashback scene (the father/son talk may as well have been two actors staring blankly at each other saying nothing).

But let's not make it a thing, it doesn't matter.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think she worries that Jon and the Northerners wouldn't accept the Vale as easily if she told them about Littlefinger. By minimizing his role she's looking to bring them both - Vale and Riverlands - under her name.

Not at all. She flat out refused help from the Vale. She lied because she is playing the game and is trying to protect her interest as a true born Stark.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I honestly thought most of the episode was fantastic but I'll agree that the Euron stuff was rushed. Either that or the Ironborn are the most easily swayed constituency of all time. They go from "yeah Yara should be our queen" to "yeah let's go kill Yara and her brother cause Euron said so" in a matter of minutes.

I disagree. I think they tried to demonstrate pretty clearly the people were split in between Yara and Eulon when they were arguing who should be king. It was definitely rushed, but it holds up.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm assuming he knew considering Hodor's past and had no inclination of warning him to keep balance with time.

Or something. The idea that Bran himself affected things and he had the power to stop it is a bit convoluted, but like with most time travel narratives you kind of have to ignore the logistical issues in order for it to work.

I actually got the impression that Hodor himself did something here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I disagree. I think they tried to demonstrate pretty clearly the people were split in between Yara and Eulon when they were arguing who should be king. It was definitely rushed, but it holds up.

Euron offered the better steak to the Iron Born. He also plans to marry Dany and overtake her claim as a result.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Considering they both want the world to be "cleansed", I worry about them being truly heroic.

Jon wants the world to be cleansed? Either way, I'm not going to rant again about what I mean by the term hero. I'm just not.

I didn't say it didn't hold up. Just that it was rushed.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He looked so at peace with himself leisurefully watching a flashback considering that he knew the White Walkers were coming to kill them.

Yeah from a writing perspective I wonder why there wasn't any rush to leave.

And if the raven knew Bran needed to be warging in order for the Hodor backstory thing to happen, why even tell Bran he needed to leave?

Also why didn't Bran acknowledge that Meera was like "**** is happening please wake the **** up"?

Some inconsistencies and issues, but the reveal makes up for it, in my opinion. Doesn't make it perfect, but does make it a great watch.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Jon wants the world to be cleansed? Either way, I'm not going to rant again about what I mean by the term hero. I'm just not.

The Priests.

Not at all. She flat out refused help from the Vale. She lied because she is playing the game and is trying to protect her interest as a true born Stark.

She refused help from Littlefinger... But I can't imagine she didn't note he said the Vale forces were stationed near the North. Where the Riverlands forces will have to meet them.

Regarding herself protecting her interests, that doesn't go against using the Vale. In fact, that's how she got them in Season 4, by using her true Stark status.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Euron offered the better steak to the Iron Born. He also plans to marry Dany and overtake her claim as a result.

I'm not talking about that. They specifically had one guy challenge Yara saying they can't have a woman sitting on the throne or whatnot, but they also highlighted strong support for Yara among other people. The ones that opposed the idea of a woman sitting on the throne sided with Euron, the others went with Yara. To me it's that simple.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

And if the raven knew Bran needed to be warging in order for the Hodor backstory thing to happen, why even tell Bran he needed to leave?

Also why didn't Bran acknowledge that Meera was like "**** is happening please wake the **** up"?

Some inconsistencies and issues, but the reveal makes up for it, in my opinion. Doesn't make it perfect, but does make it a great watch.

Agreed. Seems like a weird time for a warm fuzzy, House Stark flashback. What was that supposed to teach Bran?

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
The iron born seem a little cray cray to me.

Not surprised to see them turn on Jara and Theon so quickly

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I agree completely, but they were also things that were tough to completely ignore as you were watching it unfold. As mentioned, the Summer moment and the Hodor moment redeems them.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Agreed. Seems like a weird time for a warm fuzzy, House Stark flashback. What was that supposed to teach Bran?

I'm thinking it must've been to teach him, because it was EXTREMELY convenient that hordor was in that flashback.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The iron born seem a little cray cray to me.

Not surprised to see them turn on Jara and Theon so quickly

They were split... With the amount of ships Yara and Theon managed to steal, it's pretty evident a fair share of Ironborn remained loyal to them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What a finish to that episode. I thought it was great.

As though I needed more evidence that Jon and Dany are the show's heroes; now they both have Red Priestess' supporting them.

Speaking of that scene with Varys was excellent.

I honestly thought most of the episode was fantastic but I'll agree that the Euron stuff was rushed. Either that or the Ironborn are the most easily swayed constituency of all time. They go from "yeah Yara should be our queen" to "yeah let's go kill Yara and her brother cause Euron said so" in a matter of minutes.

That said I'm glad to see the Iron born finally relevant. I had a feeling once Dany's ships were burned, they or Dorne would back her. But I thought it would be through Yara not Euron. Though the reasoning makes a lot more sense for it to have been Euron's idea.

Its not what happened.

People who supported Yara went off with her and people who didn't support Yara went on to Euron.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Most likely to finish the time loop of Bran creating Hodor? Maybe Bloodraven had to die too for some reason?
Seems like the kind of thing where it would make more sense if Bran was frustrated/restless/pressing the Blood Raven to escape, with the Blood Raven insisting that the flashback was significant (letting the ultimate reveal, known by the blood raven, be that the flashback wasn't important, Bran's presence there for the time loop to work was important)

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Except LF controls that force and controls Robin.

Robin, who jumped at the chance to go to war for his cousin. That force, whose most influential Lords were there when she took a stand for Baelish, and they listened to her, not to him.

It's pretty disappointing if they don't have her use the main card she has over him, if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad