TV: Game of Thrones | Season 6 | Part V (NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
IMO he's fine the way he is. His entrance was epic.

I am the storm, brother.

Oberyn came in pretty quickly and without much build up either.

We learned everything we need to know about him in his intro. I wonder if we are supposed to draw any connections with his "drowning" to Jon and Dany's cheat death moments.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Never teared up at any point of GoT.

I did tear up at the of Friday Night Lights (movie) when they fail to score a touchdown and Tim McGraw hugs his son on the field. Yes I'm weird.

Hah. Funny enough I just watched that on HBO right before GOT. And I have a similar reaction to that movie.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
On the first viewing and it's brief shot I thought only a few ships were sailing and the rest of the fleet was anchored but it was hard to tell

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
On the first viewing and it's brief shot I thought only a few ships were sailing and the rest of the fleet was anchored but it was hard to tell

You are 100% right, good catch. Just flipped through the DVR and the shot is a mix of ships just moored and ships sailing away. Also 100 was being nice. Yara took something closer to 50 ships (it is hard to tell which ones are actually sailing and what aren't).

They were really unclear with this scene. I guess the line "they took our best ships" is supposed to make you see that Euron still has ships but it doesn't.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Inside the episode revealed some good tidbits.

Sanda lied to Jon because she doesn't fully trust him (for reasons left unstated) and it plus Sanda leaving LF alive show that LF still has some sway over Sansa.

Bran can't wake up because the tree eyed Raven is uploading all the information into Bran quickly and while he is under duress.

Also Hodor's name origin came from GRRM himself despite it not being in any book yet.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The entire Hodor reveal just reinforces that D&D really don't hold a candle to GRRM on a purely narrative level. It's very obvious what is GRRM driven story, and what is D&D tramping about on their own. Master and apprentice level gulf there.

Yes, I was a book reader long before HBO started the show, but I've never been the elitist type to crap all over D&D and the job they've done. I think they've done a remarkable job, and really showed their mettle in making some choice cuts and streamlining a pretty overwhelming world and story. But when you get right down to it, the best moments of this show are being lifted directly from GRRM, as they ought to be.

I think the story is in good hands, regardless of what happens to the books, as much as it pains me to say. If the entire Hodor reveal is pure GRRM planned story with D&D providing translation, this show will go out on top.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
As a book reader (read them all once and don't remember **** :laugh:), it's fun being back to having zero idea of what's coming each week as opposed to a loose understanding. I started the books after the 2md or 3rd season. The show is back to being really exciting. The suspense week after week is fantastic.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
the voice that talked to varys when he was a child, the lord of light?

I think so, but this show has me thinking that everything like that is Bran now haha.

Also, Yara and Theon left because they knew Euron was going to try to kill them. I mean, Yara's first words to Euron were "Uncle, I'm glad you're here. Now I know my first task as Queen: to have you executed."

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I do kind of like George's realistic approach to storywriting. There is no "Glenn" miracle from The Walking Dead. If you are surrounded by the enemy, you are killed, if you are captured by the enemy, unspeakable things happen to you, and there are consequences for every action both good and bad that can favor any philosophy.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Inside the episode revealed some good tidbits.

Sanda lied to Jon because she doesn't fully trust him (for reasons left unstated) and it plus Sanda leaving LF alive show that LF still has some sway over Sansa.

I'm assuming it's because of his ******* status? She is all about that Stark name right now. I can't think of any other reason at the moment, and LF did conveniently drop that tidbit on her right before she lied to Jon.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
RIP HODOR :cry:

hodor-1024.jpg

d1984cb0-f2cd-0133-243b-0e1b1c96d76b.jpeg

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
I figured she lied because she didn't want to explain to like 5 other people who Littlefinger is and what he's done and so on. Don't know about the whole 'don't fully trust Jon' stuff but we'll see in future episodes i guess.

I didn't really like her decision to say no to Vale army. I would have taken Littlefinger captive and locked him in prison in Castle Black. Send someone (or raven) to Robyn or Royce to agree on alliance and after Winterfell was captured would tell leaders of Vale what Littlefinger did - sending her to Boltons and killing Lysa - and let them exact their punishment for him.... ♪ I belive i can fly.. ♪

Do agree that Sansa was a bit naive when talking about how loyal some houses are to Starks, but i guess we'll see.

With Bran having the Night's King mark on him if he goes through the tunnel through the Wall it will negate the magic barrier and the dead and walkers can go through.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I'm leaning towards the Great Other, because no one will say the name that he heard.

for a while i tought the nights king was the great other.

i wonder if we ever gonna see or hear the lord of light and the great other.....that would be epic.....the other gods are false.....only the red god and his enemy god has shown to be real.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I'm thinking that there will be a reveal that there actually are no gods somehow. Like, this stuff with Bran leads me to believe that there are other people with powers, or maybe it was the Three Eyed Raven pulling the strings all along.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
So it was necessary to neuter Hodor's mind in the past so that Bran could warg into him while less powerful in the future? Do i understand that right? But if he's now powerful enough to warg into intact-minded Hodor in the past, surely he would be strong enough to warg into him now with a healthy mind.

I'm confused as to why the whole in the past warging was necessary.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Gotta love the internet sometimes...

I haven't read more than that post in that thread so proceeed with caution but I quoted the post below if you don't even want to bother.
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/26325-what-does-hodor-mean/&page=2#comment-1236224

The poor guy is just asking someone to hold the door for him, since he's always carrying someone else around. After a while, "Hold the door" became "Hold the doorHold the doorHoldoorHodoor. Dammit! Hold the door!" His mind finally snapped, and now all he can say is Hodor.

From February 20th, 2008.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think so, but this show has me thinking that everything like that is Bran now haha.

Also, Yara and Theon left because they knew Euron was going to try to kill them. I mean, Yara's first words to Euron were "Uncle, I'm glad you're here. Now I know my first task as Queen: to have you executed."

How did Yara know that he was the one who killed Balon, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad