GAME 81: HABS @ WINGS | Crown Jewel | Mon. April 15, 2024, 7PM ET -- SN, RDS, TSN690, 98.5FM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will the Habs win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Slaf looked like he was going to get stretchered off so many times his 1st season, Dach out after a whole game… I also feel smaller players have a better survival instinct! Desharnais and Gionta went in the corners with defensemen, which are usually larger than the forwards Hutson will have to deal with.
Also, we can't exclusively look at how he'll fare against large forwards - How will he do against the tricky, quick offensive stars like Panarin, Kaprisov, and Marner? There's an argument to be made that he'd be better equipped to 'stay with his man' in those situations

Reactions: Naslundforever

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Its just different for dmen , he will 100% be in a position where he will have to take the body to make a play , a guy in the ozone can get away with this because the puck won't end up in the back of the net in 3 seconds if you don't make the right physical play. Caufield does use his body alot but he can also pick and choose his spots in the ozone , you don't really get that benefit on D
Good point.. you can chose to slack off a 50-50 puck as a forward, not so much a D. Let’s hope he heals quick then haha

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Wasn't a fan of Stevie Y squeezing Gorton & Hughes heads with the Petry deal. Would be nice to see the Habs throw a wrench in their plans.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Detroit fans hate Petry almost as much as we did in his final year with us.
Maybe but the Habs are paying a bunch of his salary for this year and next. Wings are loaded with prospects, they could have easily afforded to move one of them, they got off awfully cheap in that deal in my opinion.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Detroit fans hate Petry almost as much as we did in his final year with us.
Chiarot-Petry is one of the worst top 4 pairings in the league. Seider spends most nights getting railroaded into playing the toughest minutes in the league because the other defensive pairs lose games if he doesn't. They were brought in to make it easier on Seider and all they do is make everything worse.

Yzerman "constructing" this defence is 100% his biggest failing in Detroit

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I am going to go out on a limb and say we will hear some stories about Jeff Petry's father today.
Oh, and is Tataaaaaar still with the Wings?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I had been procrastinating renewing my passport and it hasn't come in yet sadly. I wasn't really planning on going this season but missing Hutson's debut definitely sucks

I just did that with my Medical Marijuana card, though to be fair I didn't know it would get lost in the mail cause it never got here so I had to get them to send another. I put it off for 3 months cause I picked up 3 ounces at 50% off so I was well stocked up and kept putting it off. Now I might miss 4/20 deals.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Chiarot-Petry is one of the worst top 4 pairings in the league. Seider spends most nights getting railroaded into playing the toughest minutes in the league because the other defensive pairs lose games if he doesn't. They were brought in to make it easier on Seider and all they do is make everything worse.

Yzerman "constructing" this defence is 100% his biggest failing in Detroit

What's crazy is Chiarot & Petry aren't even the worse. Gostisbehere has added some offense from the backend, but is terrible defensively, while Justin Holl has been so bad he's been benched for multiple games.

I don't know how you watch Holl in Toronto and decide to give him a 3 year, $10.2m contract (cap of $3.4m). That was an awful pick-up. Fans already want to see a buyout.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Did you guys know that Jeff Petry is the son of former Detroit Tigers pitcher, Dan Petry?

1000003313.jpg

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Small stars have been small all their lives, they don't get to that point without knowing how to adapt.
It's true, just like dudes with tiny peepees become great at cuninglous, or so I've heard😛😆.

In all seriousness tho we had people on our board using the burke meme of " thats a small body gentlemen" after we drafted Quinn Hughes.

While my loyalty is with Vancouver with a last name of Pelletier and being in my mid 40's there was a time when leaf and Habs games were often the only games on TV on HNIC so I'll always cheer for the Habs.

Quinn will go down as the best Canuck in history or at least my lifetime and I never realized what a massive effect having a borderline generational #1 d could have on a team.

Now I don't think Lane will hit that level but if he can become a 70 point player who tilts the ice he will be more important than anyone on the Habs and the actual points are just the tip of the iceberg.

Quinn and Makar have the ability to force teams to abandon their assignments which in turn opens up space for the other players on the ice almost like a pp 24 mins a game, meaning guys like Slaf, Suzuki, etc etc will see a bump regardless of if he's directly involved.

I just hope that you guys and your passion that can be almost toxic at times allow for the inevitable learning curve that's going to include a lot of rough nights defensively. Quinn's first year in an unsheltered top pairing role he was like a minus 24 to plus 10- +15 + 39.

Having the right partner is paramount and Hughes should overpay on money and term and go after Tanev or someone in that ilk.

Do you guys agree that Laval would be a mistake?

The AHL is not only full of goons but it's also not a great place for structure or learning proper technique for playing defense. It's fine for a guy like Reinbacher who's already pretty advanced defensively but Lane like Quinn should learn in a more structured less gooney NHL.

Hope the kid pans out, I'll be eagerly watching tonight's game.
Cheers and glad to Slaf doing so well

Last edited:
Reactions: JT3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad