Post-Game Talk: GAME 7 - YUCK!!!! Ducks score 3 in final 4 minutes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
If folks would have simply focused on the win during the last few minutes of the game instead of trying to get empty net goals, we wouldn't all be gnashing our teeth right now. It amazes me how even at the highest professional level of sports, players will still try to get points/goals rather than just clearing the puck. We got exactly what we deserved tonight. I feel bad for Ullmark...he played fantastic, but the players in front of him during the last few minutes really wanted some empty net points. DUMB.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The ending was appalling. It can't be that difficult to get the puck out of the zone, can it? Unfortunately that's a broken record we've heard far too many times. Win a face-off, win a board battle, chip it out, etc. I don't know that I've ever seen a team as incapable of these details, and not just tonight.

But ultimately, it's not a big deal. Regular seasons are getting increasingly meaningless, and not just in hockey; plus, home ice/field is not far behind. Just ask the Bruins, Astros, Phillies, etc.

I'm just enjoying the games as a distraction from far more serious things, and not getting too high or low over wins and losses.

Secord

Mar 23, 2013
Well that sucked.

Beecher missing that open net resulted in the fourth loudest rebel yell out of my big yapper this year - first three for each of Poitras' goals.

Many points already covered by most so won't belabor them. Some I have not seen or see differently:

- Bring out the icepacks! Maybe it was he Ducks taking advantage of a Loochless squad, but man did the Bruins come in second in terms of physicality in this one. Obvious that part of the Ducks plan was to hit em hard and muck it up. Bruins did a good job of taking it without much resistance! Poitras getting mugged with McAvoy the disinterested onlooker would be an interesting piece of footage to review as a team... Four total hits by Bruins Dmen - D-corps finesse will only get you so far, even in the NHL of today.
- Will never understand how Brown was preferred over Greer. Guy instigated, hit hard, was no fun to play against, had heart and more skill than credited for - did he not crack the lineup of the best ever regular season squad over 60 times last year, for ever that was worth? Was hoping to see him on the 4th with Lucic, or if 13th a very useful replacement for 17 when out. Especially in a game like tonight.
- Maybe besides this game, but even then, I don't see what's the big deal many have with Hampus thus far. The number of times he corrals the puck behind the net with speed and control to carry out a solo breakout is greatly underestimated. Think he has been steady for the most part.
- Same for Zacha tbh. He's been playing fast and strong on the puck. Looks like a player who is about to hit his prime years. Feel things will fall into place with him, despite the positional aspect.
- Scrambly and frustrating at the end of the third tonight, yes, but those two goals were flukey deflections off of Hampus and Marchand. Nothing Linus could have done. Will keep my indignation for another time.
- Still, had those not went in, the win could have again been filed under smoke and mirrors to a large extent. Can't wait to see how they handle the speed and intensity of the next few opponents.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Well that sucked.

Beecher missing that open net resulted in the fourth loudest rebel yell out of my big yapper this year - first three for each of Poitras' goals.

Many points already covered by most so won't belabor them. Some I have not seen or see differently:

- Bring out the icepacks! Maybe it was he Ducks taking advantage of a Loochless squad, but man did the Bruins come in second in terms of physicality in this one. Obvious that part of the Ducks plan was to hit em hard and muck it up. Bruins did a good job of taking it without much resistance! Poitras getting mugged with McAvoy the disinterested onlooker would be an interesting piece of footage to review as a team... Four total hits by Bruins Dmen - D-corps finesse will only get you so far, even in the NHL of today.
- Will never understand how Brown was preferred over Greer. Guy instigated, hit hard, was no fun to play against, had heart and more skill than credited for - did he not crack the lineup of the best ever regular season squad over 60 times last year, for ever that was worth? Was hoping to see him on the 4th with Lucic, or if 13th a very useful replacement for 17 when out. Especially in a game like tonight.
- Maybe besides this game, but even then, I don't see what's the big deal many have with Hampus thus far. The number of times he corrals the puck behind the net with speed and control to carry out a solo breakout is greatly underestimated. Think he has been steady for the most part.
- Same for Zacha tbh. He's been playing fast and strong on the puck. Looks like a player who is about to hit his prime years. Feel things will fall into place with him, despite the positional aspect.
- Scrambly and frustrating at the end of the third tonight, yes, but those two goals were flukey deflections off of Hampus and Marchand. Nothing Linus could have done. Will keep my indignation for another time.
- Still, had those not went in, the win could have again been filed under smoke and mirrors to a large extent. Can't wait to see how they handle the speed and intensity of the next few opponents.

Good breakdown of the game. I think Brown was preferred to Greer largely because he can play center and therefore offers more versatility, which I get, but I still think Greer has more value overall. Heinen is better than both though, and I really hope they sign him soon. The Bruins have very little depth, and I think that's only become more apparent over the last few days, so it seems like a no-brainer to formally bring him on board.

Just a couple of points I would partly quibble with:

- I'd agree that Lindholm has for the most part been ok, and there are still things he does well. But I do think some of his decision-making has been poor, and he's not playing strong enough around the puck or the net at times. Needs to be a bit smarter and play with some extra grit, which he's well capable of. Not miles away, just needs to knuckle down a little.

- Zacha is definitely putting in the effort, and his physical ability is unquestioned. But a 1C simply has to produce, and he's not doing that enough yet. 3 points in 7 games is not terrible in itself, but I think in general he's not creating enough chances or driving the play as much as a top center should. However I fully acknowledge we're only 7 games in. This is a role he still doesn't have a lot of experience in, and his line isn't settled yet. We need to be patient. Hopefully, as you suggest, he will improve as we go along.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Agree about Greer, but Sweeney signed that useless plug, Brown and that's kind of the end of it. I agree about HL, who is playing too much. Zacha, however, has sucked. He has made numerous poor choices and often looks clueless, particularly on the pp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Secord

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
According to some, this has been an easy opening schedule, even though I think opening with that road trip with several days between the first two games and then playing 4 games in 6 days with a time difference isn't that easy. I get that the competition (other than Kings) wasn't top notch but, still, that was not "easy".

I hate the ending of the game last night, it is so deflating and the boys looks gassed. First game back from a perfect road trip, I can see why they scrambled near the end but I'm not excusing it. As others said, if they had won that game most would be happy with the game. We've seen this too many times.

Now the real season begins, divisional games and better opponents. Let's see how that goes, the 13 point cushion is certainly a great way to start off with. They will struggle but they are middle of the pack for scoring in the league, Leafs have scored 5 more than the Bruins this season, so maybe it won't be as dire as predicted.

Oh, and we have Halloween costumes to look forward to!!!

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I thought Grizz was one of the few to have a good game.

Yikes. sorry you didn't get a chance to watch the game.
Gryz did have a good game. Linus is not “mentally weak.” Marchand actually tipped in an own goal. Can’t blame the keeper for that.

Fingers crossed. I use a weighted sleep mask called NodPod.

Highly recommend.

Everyone needs a good night sleep, especially after this annoying loss.
I went to bed annoyed, remembered what happened last night when I woke up, and am annoyed again. Looking forward to straightening it out in the next game.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well that sucked.

Brown is terrible and far lesser than Greer.

That decision made less than zero sense as Greer provided size, an attempt at toughness, and NHL talent.

Brown is a 30+ year old near rookie and average sized at best.

At this point sign Heinen and waive Brown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
To lose a 2 goal with a crap team at home with 2 minutes left I'm glad I missed it. If not linus then the whole team plus coach crap the bed . Anyways on to the next game and get it back.

Can't tell you how impressed I was with Carlsson!!! Guy looks like Mats Sundin for a Swedes comparison and a Jean Ratelle two inches taller for a Bruins comparison. One of the 3 best players on the ice.

Anaheim is significantly better than last year. That kid Russian D man looks really good also.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Can't tell you how impressed I was with Carlsson!!! Guy looks like Mats Sundin for a Swedes comparison and a Jean Ratelle two inches taller for a Bruins comparison. One of the 3 best players on the ice.

Anaheim is significantly better than last year. That kid Russian D man looks really good also.

Yes, he looks like a good one. I was also impressed with Trevor Zegras. Going back to BU, I've really disliked his game. Seemed destined to be that flashy, selfish scorer on a terrible team. Yesterday he was back checking and (shockingly) very physical. Won a lot of puck battles.

Edit: Just saw his terrible offensive statistical start to the season (1 assist in 7 games), but perhaps this is part of a necessary transformation. If I'm a coach, I'd be much more in building of the total game, the offense will follow.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The ending was appalling. It can't be that difficult to get the puck out of the zone, can it? Unfortunately that's a broken record we've heard far too many times. Win a face-off, win a board battle, chip it out, etc. I don't know that I've ever seen a team as incapable of these details, and not just tonight.

But ultimately, it's not a big deal. Regular seasons are getting increasingly meaningless, and not just in hockey; plus, home ice/field is not far behind. Just ask the Bruins, Astros, Phillies, etc.

I'm just enjoying the games as a distraction from far more serious things, and not getting too high or low over wins and losses.

100%. Regular season I just enjoy each game as it comes and the roller coaster from week to week. In analyzing the team and the bigger picture 90% of what I'm looking at is around how the team looks as a playoff performer - what are its strengths for postseason hockey, what are the weaknesses, and how can they be addressed? But that kind of simmers in the background and I mostly compartmentalize it from the day to day of the games.

If the Bruins were a bubble team having to scrap for every point just to squeeze into a qualifying position then I might look at things differently, but even with their lesser roster this year, at least on paper, that shouldn't really be the case. For now at least, the luxury of just going with the flow 'til the 'real' season begins is nice.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
@Alicat

Friday, October 27 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA)
- Practice, 11:30 a.m.
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following practice

The Bruins will participate in their annual Halloween hospital visit at Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston Children's Hospital. Select players will be available to media at approximately 1:45 p.m. in the lobby of Mass General for Children (55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114). Please note that media will not be permitted past the MGH lobby.
I hope he puts them through hell for that piss poor performance

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
100%. Regular season I just enjoy each game as it comes and the roller coaster from week to week. In analyzing the team and the bigger picture 90% of what I'm looking at is around how the team looks as a playoff performer - what are its strengths for postseason hockey, what are the weaknesses, and how can they be addressed? But that kind of simmers in the background and I mostly compartmentalize it from the day to day of the games.

If the Bruins were a bubble team having to scrap for every point just to squeeze into a qualifying position then I might look at things differently, but even with their lesser roster this year, at least on paper, that shouldn't really be the case. For now at least, the luxury of just going with the flow 'til the 'real' season begins is nice.

This team upfront is significantly degraded from last years team. They relied on Swayman (LA) and Ullmark for at least two W. DeBrusk played well in one game thus far and Beecher though ok defensively, looks like he is very much figuring the NHL out offensively and it has nothing to do with the empty net.

The performance of #18 and #13 the next 3 games is going to be very something to watch.

Montgomery will have last change, so it will be interesting how he deploys those two
against Larkin on Detroit, then Barkov and Toronto's Matthews and Tavares. Florida is still missing Ekblad and Montour.

Coyle has played well against Toronto in the past and he and Zacha played well
in games 3\4 against Florida in top 6 roles, though Hall and Bertuzzi drove the O
against them and they aren't here now.

I hope he puts them through hell for that piss poor performance

I doubt that happens. They need to recharge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad