Game 7 SCF - Would you rather have Peak Crosby or Current McDavid?

Who would you rather have in game 7 of SCF?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Your Statwatching skills are truly Elite, again, I prefer game watching. I'm taking absolutely nothing away from McDavid but where are the Cups that he has led his team to if he is so great? Check that stat.

Crosby's shooting percentage was insane in 2017, especially in the Washington series. I cannot conceive of how the Penguins win the cup that year without Crosby playing at the level he did throughout those playoffs in all aspects of the game. Crosby is somewhat like a McDavid- Barkov hybrid in that sense
It’s almost like Cups are team achievements, and that Crosby had better teams around him…

Who would have thought?!

Much like how Crosby doesn’t touch a cup if Malkin didn’t reach the level he did, much like how Kessel, Murray, and Letang played at the level they did….again, shocking stuff.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Nope, if McDavid wins the cup on Monday night I think most people are going to think that he was unequivocally the number one reason why Edmonton won just like Crosby was a key contributor for all three of his cups. Same with Wayne, Mario, Messier, Kane, Lidstrom, etc.

Here is this threads argument, more points = better game 7 player. Crosby has actually hoisted the cup after a game 7 victory in a Stanley Cup final not to mention his Golden goal or other big game heroics like in game 7 of the Washington series during the 2009 playoffs. Mcdavid's track record just doesn't have that much to offer, he just hasn't been in as many big games and big moments. Crosby is a proven commodity, McDavid is just the it girl of the moment. Connor McDavid could end up being the Caitlin Clark of hockey.
A game in which he didn’t score any points and barely played in?….

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Crosby only because he's got multiple Cups and was fostered in a winning environment. McDavid had to work hard to help create that environment especially with an idiotic management at the time. Imagine if he was brought up as a rookie towards the tail end of the Oilers dynasty.

If McDavid and Co. wins the Cup tomorrow, these Oilers will have created their winning culture and that is so much more impressive than anything Crosby's done.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyWooot

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby only because he's got multiple Cups and was fostered in a winning environment. McDavid had to work hard to help create that environment especially with an idiotic management at the time. Imagine if he was brought up as a rookie towards the tail end of the Oilers dynasty.

If McDavid and Co. wins the Cup tomorrow, these Oilers will have created their winning culture and that is so much more impressive than anything Crosby's done.
Crosby WAS the Penguins winning culture. This is a team that finished 2nd last in the league and saw all it's aging veterans (Lemieux, Recchi, Palffy, Leclair) retire or leave the team within the year. From that point forward, Sid took on the captaincy and set the tone for the next two decades. He is one of the greatest leaders in the history of the sport and every single guy who has ever played with him acknowledges what he brings to the Penguins organization.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Ignatius

Connor McCaitlin Clark
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
It’s almost like Cups are team achievements, and that Crosby had better teams around him…

Who would have thought?!

Much like how Crosby doesn’t touch a cup if Malkin didn’t reach the level he did, much like how Kessel, Murray, and Letang played at the level they did….again, shocking stuff.

In 2015 the HF Hivemind said that Toews was better than Crosby because Cups, in 2018 the HF Hivemind said that Ovechkin was better than Crosby because individual awards.

Plenty of negative Crosby sentiment to go around over the past two decades. People who talk about Malkin and Kessel are showing their ignorance because those two rarely if ever played with Crosby outside of the power play. Meanwhile McDavid is force-fed Drai on a regular basis and always has been throughout his career.

A game in which he didn’t score any points and barely played in?….

How many game sevens of the Stanley Cup final has McDavid played in? The only reason he is playing in a game 7 tonight is because McDavid didn't do jack **** in the first three games of the series. Again I want to give McDavid his due but the reality is he has had two big games in the series and people are getting delusional.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
In 2015 the HF Hivemind said that Toews was better than Crosby because Cups, in 2018 the HF Hivemind said that Ovechkin was better than Crosby because individual awards.

Plenty of negative Crosby sentiment to go around over the past two decades. People who talk about Malkin and Kessel are showing their ignorance because those two rarely if ever played with Crosby outside of the power play. Meanwhile McDavid is force-fed Drai on a regular basis and always has been throughout his career.

How many game sevens of the Stanley Cup final has McDavid played in? The only reason he is playing in a game 7 tonight is because McDavid didn't do jack **** in the first three games of the series. Again I want to give McDavid his due but the reality is he has had two big games in the series and people are getting delusional.
No you don't. Otherwise you'd acknowledge what Sid did en route to his "heroic" game 7 Cup win.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

And people constantly argue that Crosby is better than McDavid because of Cups. If it was bad logic back then, why isn't it now?

He'll be playing in his first one. Crosby's played in two and has twice as a long a career. Not really Earth-shattering stuff.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Neither of these were ever held by a plurality or majority of people. The Toews one was more widespread but died pretty quickly in 2011-2012 after the hype of the Olympics died down. The Ovechkin one wasn't held beyond a few contrarians on here.

McDavid was PPG, had points on 75% of his team's goals, and individually contributed on the majority of the Oilers' scoring chances in the first 3 games. Saying he didn't do jack shit is not only wrong, it's wishful thinking.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Ask me after tonight.

Peak Crosby is a proven winner. I voted him for now. McDavid.....although probably the best body of work in the playoffs I have ever seen (after 1993 Patrick Roy), still has to seal the deal. If he brings it home tonight, I take McDavid in all future game 7s.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

The bolded never happened, but nice try :laugh:

None of that matters at all. Malkin led the team in points in 2/3 of those winning runs while Kessel led the other. It doesn’t matter whether or not they played with Crosby. Also, I still love the whole “McDavid is a product of Drai!” Argument that has been debunked already.

The team had scored 4 goals and McDavid had assisted on 3 of them, so your whole “he hasn’t done Jack shit” argument is desperate. You know who didn’t do “jack shit?” Crosby. 3 points in 7 games…why are you ignoring this and yet using it against McDavid?…

Your trying way to hard to hate on McDavid. It’s going to be ok :laugh:

Reactions: TheLegend27

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Growing up is realizing that playoff Crosby had 3 other HOF talents performing at equal or greater levels for his cup runs and when they stopped performing he stopped performing.
Is this on your Xbox or when did this happen?

Neither of these were ever held by a plurality or majority of people. The Toews one was more widespread but died pretty quickly in 2011-2012 after the hype of the Olympics died down. The Ovechkin one wasn't held beyond a few contrarians on here.

McDavid was PPG, had points on 75% of his team's goals, and individually contributed on the majority of the Oilers' scoring chances in the first 3 games. Saying he didn't do jack shit is not only wrong, it's wishful thinking.
McDavid had zero points and mostly just skated around the perimeter in the first 3 games when he wasn't on the ice with Draisaitl.

Ignatius

Connor McCaitlin Clark
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
The bolded never happened, but nice try :laugh:

None of that matters at all. Malkin led the team in points in 2/3 of those winning runs while Kessel led the other. It doesn’t matter whether or not they played with Crosby. Also, I still love the whole “McDavid is a product of Drai!” Argument that has been debunked already.

The team had scored 4 goals and McDavid had assisted on 3 of them, so your whole “he hasn’t done Jack shit” argument is desperate. You know who didn’t do “jack shit?” Crosby. 3 points in 7 games…why are you ignoring this and yet using it against McDavid?…

Your trying way to hard to hate on McDavid. It’s going to be ok :laugh:

You are correct, I am not a McDavid sycophant therefore I must have MDS, McDavid derangement syndrome 🤯

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
You are correct, I am not a McDavid sycophant therefore I must have MDS, McDavid derangement syndrome 🤯

Found the proof right here
7a393035c8632e04ae1a64ab2657f1bf.png

• Love
Reactions: Ignatius

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
McDavid being better than Crosby ever was, doesn't tarnish Crosby's legendary legacy by any means. It just shows how ridiculously good McDavid is.

Reactions: matsqq

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Is this on your Xbox or when did this happen?

McDavid had zero points and mostly just skated around the perimeter in the first 3 games when he wasn't on the ice with Draisaitl.
Again, he created the majority of the team's scoring chances (literally 5 of the Oiler's 7 in game 2) in those 3 games. Draisitl also had 0 points in that time so why does it matter?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Again, he created the majority of the team's scoring chances (literally 5 of the Oiler's 7 in game 2) in those 3 games. Draisitl also had 0 points in that time so why does it matter?
5 scoring chances doesn't sound that great when you play with all the other best players on your team and play almost half the game (26 minutes)

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
5 scoring chances doesn't sound that great when you play with all the other best players on your team and play almost half the game (26 minutes)
When all the other best players (and everyone else) on has 2 scoring chances, yeah it sounds pretty good. It's also a 1 game total so 5 scoring chances is still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad