GDT: Game 65: Columbus vs. Detroit | 3/11 7PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What a night. I just found myself looking over at the scoreboard from around the league and smiling bigger and bigger each time.

I can just imagine every hockey player and club executive in the Metro division (outside Pittsburgh) waking up in the morning, checking the standings and saying whutda...!

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
What a night. I just found myself looking over at the scoreboard from around the league and smiling bigger and bigger each time.

I believe it was the late Roger Neilson who once said "Success is looking at the out-of-town scoreboard and seeing that it's empty because no one else is left."

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
What an amazing night. It's one thing to win -- the Jackets SHOULD beat a depleted Detroit team at home -- but to have everyone else lose, including the Rangers against a half-checked-out Canes team, that was not expected but very awesome.

Sharks on the road, that's pretty much the toughest game in the NHL, but let's see what the boys can do. As has been pointed out a few times lately, the Caps among others have that same game coming up along with others on a western swing.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Sharks on the road, that's pretty much the toughest game in the NHL, but let's see what the boys can do. As has been pointed out a few times lately, the Caps among others have that same game coming up along with others on a western swing.

I'm confused - are you talking about the CBJ? We play the Sharks at home on Thursday. We already played them in their barn this season.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I can just imagine every hockey player and club executive in the Metro division (outside Pittsburgh) waking up in the morning, checking the standings and saying whutda...!

Perfect night....Not even a 3 point game. There's still some of the "They're the CBJ, they'll go away" expectation out there. I did see a NYR fan take of "What? The CBJ are a point behind us WITH a game in hand? How do they still have a game in hand?" :yo:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
This injury crap makes me crazy as well. It seems whenever we are beset by injuries I never hear the "well we should lose because we have so many guys out". Or, "well that team should beat us since we are so beat up." No, no, no, it is always "injuries shouldn't matter", and " we should have the depth to deal with injuries", or "I don't want to hear excuses that we have so many guys out."

Then we play a team like Detroit and all I see is "well, we should beat a team with injuries", and "we were lucky they had guys hurts since we are just a mediocre team", or "man that just isn't the Redwings with those injuries"

W T F!!

Why this double standard?

As bad as you think the Detroit TV guys are, at least they acknowledged last night that, yea, they had two top forwards out, but we also had two of our top D guys out as well.

Big game Thursday. We can take those guys so let's do it.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
I'm confused - are you talking about the CBJ? We play the Sharks at home on Thursday. We already played them in their barn this season.

Yeah, my bad. Still a real tough game, but at least they're not so dominant on the road. Hopefully we show up for all 3 periods unlike the last 2 game. I don't think you can beat SJ playing 40 good minutes.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
guessing Comeau gets 2 games...so either means Cam goes back in and tries to earn his spot, or we put Frattin in

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That was a damn fun game. Always nice to send Bert and Franzen in particular home beaten.

Jackets are better than that team. Wings are missing bigger pieces in Datsyuk and Zetterberg than CBJ in Tyutin and Murray, but at best that evens things up.

A note about Johansen - it appears to me that's he's thinking the game too much and needs to get back to feeling it. I don't know if it's just a youthful inconsistency thing, if he started to buy into his press clippings as an emerging star or if it's just a normal lull for any player, but whoever said he was the least good player on his line last night was right. If the Jackets could get Anisimov and Johansen going gangbusters at the same time, that'd be a sight to see.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ken Campbell, this morning, was singing the praises of the wins by us and the Stars last night:
Ken Campbell said:
Stars and Blue Jackets show tremendous character with wins

It’s pretty easy for people to sit back and say, “Hey, these guys are professionals who make millions of dollars to play a game. They should be able to put personal matters aside and perform.” But NHL players are also human beings and are vulnerable to the same emotional trauma as the rest of us.
That’s why the performances of both the Dallas Stars and Columbus Blue Jackets Tuesday night were so impressive.
[...]
Right now, the hockey community should be [...] proud of the character and strength the Stars and Blue Jackets displayed under difficult circumstances Tuesday night.

Basically describing it as a bright spot in light of some current troubled times (Trafford z''l, Bozon, et cetera). That's a lot more awesome than I'm used to from the guy.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
This injury crap makes me crazy as well. It seems whenever we are beset by injuries I never hear the "well we should lose because we have so many guys out". Or, "well that team should beat us since we are so beat up." No, no, no, it is always "injuries shouldn't matter", and " we should have the depth to deal with injuries", or "I don't want to hear excuses that we have so many guys out."

Then we play a team like Detroit and all I see is "well, we should beat a team with injuries", and "we were lucky they had guys hurts since we are just a mediocre team", or "man that just isn't the Redwings with those injuries"

W T F!!

As bad as you think the Detroit TV guys are, at least they acknowledged last night that, yea, they had two top forwards out, but we also had two of our top D guys out as well.

Its probably because we don't have guys like datsyuk and zetterberg who are obviously light years ahead of everybody else on the wings roster while we don't have that type of skill difference on our team. Add to that the long lived inferiority complex and you have your answer.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

W T F!!

You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

I think it's a completely absurd double standard. Injuries matter. To be fair, they can't be used as a catch-all excuse because 1) they can happen to anybody and 2) part of good team management is having enough depth to make it through injuries. But to be unfair right back, recognizing those special cases requires an appreciation of nuance, and the more time I spend online the more it becomes clear that most people out there just don't do nuance.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You get a cookie.

I think it's a completely absurd double standard. Injuries matter. To be fair, they can't be used as a catch-all excuse because 1) they can happen to anybody and 2) part of good team management is having enough depth to make it through injuries. But to be unfair right back, recognizing those special cases requires an appreciation of nuance, and the more time I spend online the more it becomes clear that most people out there just don't do nuance.

Wait. So you're suggesting that assessing an injury situation should be done on a case-by-case basis instead of making a blanket assessment on everything?

You're silly.;)

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

W T F!!

Great Post. Veteran leadership and experience has its drawbacks and Detroit is living through it right now.

Top 5 scorer's ages:

Detroit: 33,34,35,35,41 avg: 35.6

Columbus: 21,24,26,27,30 avg: 25.6

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Hoping Cam gets a shot to earn his spot back.

Why? The team has played great the last 2 games, physical and with edge, why go back to what wasn't working? I'm not blaming it all on Cam, but we play our best when we are checking, fighting, and playing hard nosed hockey. We can't out-finesse anyone. I love the way Comeau and Tropp have played and I wouldn't touch the lineup.

It was be a travisty if Shanny gave Comeau any games, that was a hockey hit, he got turned around a bit but it wasn't deserving of a suspension. They need to reel that crap in, unless it's a 5 min major, enough with the suspension hearings!

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Why? The team has played great the last 2 games, physical and with edge, why go back to what wasn't working? I'm not blaming it all on Cam, but we play our best when we are checking, fighting, and playing hard nosed hockey. We can't out-finesse anyone. I love the way Comeau and Tropp have played and I wouldn't touch the lineup.

It was be a travisty if Shanny gave Comeau any games, that was a hockey hit, he got turned around a bit but it wasn't deserving of a suspension. They need to reel that crap in, unless it's a 5 min major, enough with the suspension hearings!

Not to mention we never seem to get to see other team's players suspended when they cheapshot us. Yes I know thats not all true, think Kaleta on Jack, but it sure as hell seems that way. Im thinking back to the headshot on Nikitin by Shaw.(not sure if it was a different Hawk)

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not to mention we never seem to get to see other team's players suspended when they cheapshot us. Yes I know thats not all true, think Kaleta on Jack, but it sure as hell seems that way. Im thinking back to the headshot on Nikitin by Shaw.(not sure if it was a different Hawk)

Agreed, there have been a ton of questionable non-suspension plays against us.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land

W T F!!

Thats called being humble:sarcasm:
It would be worse if they were saying the opposit.
If they said we win fair when the other team is all out injured and were all healed. Or if they say unfair when we have injuries and the others don't it would be a problem. That would allot worse and shamful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad