GDT: Game 46: Columbus vs. Tampa Bay | 1/13 7PM EST

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Great win. But I am getting tired of Dubie's stupid overemotional penalties. That cross-check that led to TB's first goal was just plain dumb. It added nothing to the game and it was done in the wide open center ice where refs could easily see. I understand passion. But there is also stupid. And Dubie seems to be crossing the line a lot lately.

Oh, you were talking about the second penalty. Yeah.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Boll is untradeable. I got attacked for saying that his 3 year/5.1M extention was a ridiculous contract especially considering he had a year remaining & there was no real urgency & they had signed Letestu for 2 years/2.5M & Calvert 2 years/2M.

Give him either the term, 3years, or the money, 1.7M/per but not both IMO.

Who the hell would argue that is a good contract? smh.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Great win. But I am getting tired of Dubie's stupid overemotional penalties. That cross-check that led to TB's first goal was just plain dumb. It added nothing to the game and it was done in the wide open center ice where refs could easily see. I understand passion. But there is also stupid. And Dubie seems to be crossing the line a lot lately.

I agree he needs to be more disciplined. If he's pissed, don't retaliate, return the favour by throwing out a big body check when you have a chance. To be fair, Horton did the same. He got hit and he got up and cross check a player because he didn't like the hit.

I wonder if that was one of the factors why Dubinsky didn't make team USA. It also seems like he doesn't get the calls but when he does something borderline, he gets called.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Who the hell would argue that is a good contract? smh.

A few posters on the CBJ website jumped down my throat when I suggested it. I totally understand the enforcers are popular but giving the guy more term & money than your leading goal score the previous season is a little ridiculous.

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
Bobs has a 1.62 GAA and has stopped 102 of 107 shots (.953) in his 3 games back.

Too early to get super excited, but looking good.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I love Dubie's passion. We need it. But the guy has got to get some control over his game. That penalty was dumb by any measure. WE cannot afford that situation, especially in the playoffs.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Also, is it me, or is it looking like a decent crowd for a Monday night? Some big promo going? Based on TM, we may have best Monday crowd this year and maybe for a few years.

1525360_10201537573104689_1524996801_n.jpg

Attendance: 14,070 Seems like it's been awhile since we've had a decent Monday night crowd. Still a ways to go.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
i honestly didn't hear any boos for the PP...more for awful calls when they were evening up the calls...

Jack's play has been beastly lately...i guess getting snubbed and Jarmo "calling him out" on it has helped...

also... DAT CROWD....wow...the third was hopping...and my voice is still cracking...3 days to get right before Friday...

I was there and didn't hear any boos either. I agree, it was for the calls that were made, or not made

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Don't want to get to excited..

but there is a lot to like about this team. 4 in a row, lets go make it 5. It looks like Nathan Horton is having fun, & that is good to see.

Wiz did get on the arena for booing the power play. Guess they need keep up the noise because booing or not the team seemed to pick up the energy of the crowd in the 3rd period. the 3 for 30, 10% went up a few ticks after tonight.

Lets GO!!!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Attendance: 14,070 Seems like it's been awhile since we've had a decent Monday night crowd. Still a ways to go.

Nationwide employees got free tickets tonight. I don't know how many total, but they went FAST. I hit the promotional email link 8 minutes after it hit my inbox and they were gone, but I saw coworkers lined up around the arena (from the ticket office to the old Frog/Bear) after work picking up the tickets. 4 tickets per employee, had to have been at least 1000 seats. Last time I got these promo seats they were nice, center ice, 12 rows up, so I'm guessing the lower bowl was pretty full tonight.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He's on fire, and he's doing it without getting top 9 shifts.

We are starting to see the #55 from last season, and holy **** would that be huge to have a gun like that on the bottom six, and 2nd pp unit. That guy led the team in scoring for a reason, and you can see that game coming out in his play now. He snapped a nasty wrister (on the highlights, NHL.com) through his defensive opponent on a 1v1 earlier in the game that I thought would get past the goalie too.

fwiw, I'd leave him right there on the bottom six until injuries dictate otherwise.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I was really surprised when I talked to a few Lightning fans to learn they flew up for the game. Whaddaya doing flying to Ohio in January?!?

bizzz*

I was really surprised when I talked to a few Lightning fans to learn they flew up for the game. Whaddaya doing flying to Ohio in January?!?

Some Russians who live in Florida are flying to Chicago on winter cause they miss snow.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Outstanding game.

Great crowd. Don't know about 14,000, but much much improvement over the actual 6000 crowds from earlier in the season mid week games. One thing that I've noticed about the Jackets. They hardly draw any walk up crowd at all. There is usually no one standing in line at the box office ticket windows when I go to buy my $10 cheap seats. It would be nice to see that change.

This is a good hockey team. Also, a very entertaining one to watch. Say what one wants about Dubinski, but I'm 100% behind a guy who is willing to open ice hit a 6'6" monster and slash him every chance he gets. Foligno, Dubinski and MacKenzie have more grit than the entire Montreal Canadiens (team I watch the most) roster combined. Should this team make the playoffs-which I think that they will-the way these three guys play will come in handy.

The screens on the goals by Asinimov and some other guy (#18, I think:laugh:) were outstanding. I appreciate the reaction of Johansen when he scores. The late Paul Brown would have as well. He acts not only like he's been there before, but that he knows that he'll be there again and again. I still can't believe how wrong I was about this kid!!

When Horton scored his goal, Jarmo K almost jumped out of the box from which he was watching the game!!! I can't wait to see Horton once he gets into full game shape.

This team, when Bob is playing at his best, is a very good hockey team. It has young and improving forwards who are scoring more as they mature. It's got a few vets like Horton and Gaborik who can provide higher level offensive production. Wiz is an outstanding offensive defenseman whose ability to drive offense more than makes up for his occasional (well, maybe a little more than that!) defensive faux pas. While the defense lacks the ideal #1 and #2 guys, it's a pretty solid group overall. The combination of a very solid defense and an improving offense is very encouraging.

I think that this team is a more than capable of not only getting to the playoffs, but perhaps even winning a round or two.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Very entertaining game! We sit over Bob's right shoulder in the defend twice end and it's really a pleasure to watch him when he's "on" - smooth, calm, and so confident. I don't boo, but I might have been tempted by the power play through most of the game - so much trouble getting into the zone, couldn't get set up, poor passes, and blocked shots. They kept pounding, though (thanks to the 'Ning for the many chances), and, in the third, they made it happen!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Outstanding game.

Great crowd. Don't know about 14,000, but much much improvement over the actual 6000 crowds from earlier in the season mid week games. One thing that I've noticed about the Jackets. They hardly draw any walk up crowd at all. There is usually no one standing in line at the box office ticket windows when I go to buy my $10 cheap seats. It would be nice to see that change.

This is a good hockey team. Also, a very entertaining one to watch. Say what one wants about Dubinski, but I'm 100% behind a guy who is willing to open ice hit a 6'6" monster and slash him every chance he gets. Foligno, Dubinski and MacKenzie have more grit than the entire Montreal Canadiens (team I watch the most) roster combined. Should this team make the playoffs-which I think that they will-the way these three guys play will come in handy.

The screens on the goals by Asinimov and some other guy (#18, I think:laugh:) were outstanding. I appreciate the reaction of Johansen when he scores. The late Paul Brown would have as well. He acts not only like he's been there before, but that he knows that he'll be there again and again. I still can't believe how wrong I was about this kid!!

When Horton scored his goal, Jarmo K almost jumped out of the box from which he was watching the game!!! I can't wait to see Horton once he gets into full game shape.

This team, when Bob is playing at his best, is a very good hockey team. It has young and improving forwards who are scoring more as they mature. It's got a few vets like Horton and Gaborik who can provide higher level offensive production. Wiz is an outstanding offensive defenseman whose ability to drive offense more than makes up for his occasional (well, maybe a little more than that!) defensive faux pas. While the defense lacks the ideal #1 and #2 guys, it's a pretty solid group overall. The combination of a very solid defense and an improving offense is very encouraging.

I think that this team is a more than capable of not only getting to the playoffs, but perhaps even winning a round or two.

Great post. I might quibble over a detail here or there, but I overall I'm on board.

The team is playing much better in front of both nets. And the poise is improving. There were moments I wasn't sure they had an answer for the pressure the Bolts were applying, but they were patient, persistent and, for the most part, consistent. Two teams playing their games. Nice to come out on top in a battle like that.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I was there and didn't hear any boos either. I agree, it was for the calls that were made, or not made

Wiz did get on the arena for booing the power play.

Just skimming through DVR after being at game last night...3:19 left in 3rd just before GWG...Wiz on the point for the PP and he fumbles the puck on the blueline and the linesman calls offsides. You can hear a chorus of boos as Wiz gives linesman an earful because it did not look like puck went out of zone. Maybe Wiz took the boos as directed to him for letting puck go out of zone, but I think the fans were booing the linesman's call.

However, I personally was frustrated with 1 SOG total for first 4 PPs (not per PP, but over 8 minutes of PP time only 1 SOG generated), don't recall booing, but I can also imagine that a few fans might have voiced their displeasure.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
While Dubinsky does take the "stupid" penalty once in a while, I'll take that. The good he does this team far outweighs the bad. He makes his teammates better on the ice. He should be a folk hero in Columbus and I hope that he's here for a long, long time, Captain or not (of course, I still think it's a mistake he's not the Captain).

Also, I really like what I'm seeing from Horton so far. He's exactly what we all expected him to be. Once he has his game legs, this team is going to make another jump. I really hope we get to see this team fully healthy. Getting Gaborik back likely after the Olympic break, would be like making a trade. As constructed, they could possibly be the third best team in the conference behind Pittsburgh and Boston.

I can't help but think that Jarmo has something up his sleeve regarding an acquisition. It will be a "fine-tuning" move to bring in a veteran that won't cost anything.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Lol...hedman normally this whiney when he's giving up odd man rushes?

Didn't show it on TV. On last TB PP, Letstu strips Hedman and gets breakaway with Dubi for that SH chance. Hedman acts like he's going to somehow get around Letstu and to Dubi...falls down and slides into boards behind net. Whines to ref for an interference call.:laugh:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This is spot on..

While Dubinsky does take the "stupid" penalty once in a while, I'll take that. The good he does this team far outweighs the bad. He makes his teammates better on the ice. He should be a folk hero in Columbus and I hope that he's here for a long, long time, Captain or not (of course, I still think it's a mistake he's not the Captain).

Also, I really like what I'm seeing from Horton so far. He's exactly what we all expected him to be. Once he has his game legs, this team is going to make another jump. I really hope we get to see this team fully healthy. Getting Gaborik back likely after the Olympic break, would be like making a trade. As constructed, they could possibly be the third best team in the conference behind Pittsburgh and Boston.

I can't help but think that Jarmo has something up his sleeve regarding an acquisition. It will be a "fine-tuning" move to bring in a veteran that won't cost anything.

Good thoughts as usual. They really have put together some talent and its the Dubinsky's, Mackenzies, Testtubes and Jenner's that can play with the speed of Cam & Matt. High end talent of Arty, Horton & hopefully Gabby brings some sniping ability.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

He brings that Kevin Dineen/Tyler Wright type player I've been longing for since those two retired. Seemed like too many years of golf club attitude and no one caring enough. The penalties are going to happen, but he's a player that other teams hate to play against (and not in a Jordin Tootoo way).

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
He brings that Kevin Dineen/Tyler Wright type player I've been longing for since those two retired. Seemed like too many years of golf club attitude and no one caring enough. The penalties are going to happen, but he's a player that other teams hate to play against (and not in a Jordin Tootoo way).

Having him paired with Atkinson and Calvert is even better because teams hate to play against all three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad