Half-Assed GDT: game -4: Starry edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
FYP, I think you cannot do anything wrong how you place top6, its either Stastny or Lehterä, I just hope they gain more chemistry with Stastny - Tarasenko and Lehterä with Jaskin, knowing with Schwartz Lehterä has some chemistry. I think Schwartz - Lehterä - Fabbri could be one that I would like to see. Still I think Lehterä has stone legs so 2 wingers who has legs doesn't hurt, but in other hand Jaskin in 3rd line with Irwin man + Chicago man doens't give my hopes high. So could it be Lehterä would be better balanced in 1st with Steen and Tarasenko, 'cus we know Stastny have gem with Schwart + Jaskin and it wont hurt that line. idk, I'm just throwing things here.

I think that Steen - Lehterä - Tarasenko is best for The Blues, to allow the goal-scoring and passing ability to be spread across 3 lines, rather than 2. This works fine now, as Fabbrl is being added to The Top 9, and Jaškin, with his new skating ability, will now be a solid Top Sixer.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
So just got home from the game and what a game to watch. The Blues played a very uptempo game with very quick transitions. Every defensemen had fantastic pinches and kept the puck in the zone nearly every time I thought the puck would for sure leave the zone. There was a little bit of sloppy play from the offense but it just looked like regular preseason mistakes, just being a little lazy trying some cute passes. Anyways time for my player analysis.

Parayko: Just as I said in my previous post, this guy plays as he was advertised. He was a head taller than everyone on the ice including Pietrangelo. He wasn't all that physical in terms of trying to hit guys but he did win almost every single board battle in both zones. He has a great stick that he used very well to keep the puck in the zone, keep the cycle going when deep in the offensive zone, and easy pokechecks when players would come down on him in his own zone. His skating was awkward at times but I think that is only because of his size, his edgework was nice and he has big long strides. See's the ice well and can make tape to tape passes quick and effectively. He does need to work on his wrist shot from the point because all of them were flutterers, but man was his slapshot a bomb and when he would shoot the whole crowd would ooh and ahh.

Edmundson: He impressed me the most out of him and Parayko. He's for sure NHL ready. Not just physically because the guy is HUGE, but his game is very well rouned and was actually surprised how well he can skate and move the puck for not seeing him play before and only hearing how big of a bruiser he was. I don't see him in the AHL much longer at all. Once Gunnarson is gone, he'll easily be able to replace him. I would say he has mid 2nd/very high 3rd pairing potential.

Lindbohm: He played with Petro the whole game and was awesome. Loved his game just as much as I did last season. He made very little mistakes, had some great pinches, and a nice goal (assist?) still think Jaskin tipped it, was on the other end so I didn't get a good look. I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Petro all year.

Shattenkirk: Good ol' Shatty. Looking like he is in the same form of last year. He had an incredible save in the third when Elliott two pad stack slid way out of the net and Shatty came rushing in and blocked a goal, crowd went nuts.

Benoit: I was actually surprised with Benoit, I thought he played a solid game. He didn't wow you but he definitely stood out in a good way in both zones.

Pietrangelo: Saving the best for last. Man oh man was this guy on a completely different level than anyone on the ice including Tarasenko. Pietrangelo absolutely DOMINATED the game. I wasn't sure if he was playing left or right defense, left wing, right wing, center, or goalie. He was always involved in any play. He would skate up the ice effortlessly with the puck gaining beautiful zone entries. His patience with the puck was something to behold, there were so many times I thought he was going to get the puck stolen but he would curl and slow up to make a beautiful pass to set up a scoring chance. I'm not even lying when I'm saying he looked even better than he did in the playoffs last year. I lost my voice from all of his plays alone.

Schwartz: He played only okay. He wasn't bad but really wasn't noticeable on the ice but maybe that's because Jaskin stole the show.

Steen: Steen played like the Steen of the past 2 seasons. Absolute dog on the puck and had some nifty passes.

Tarasenko: Tarasenko definitely looks more confident out there than he ever has, he looks very comfortable. He played a good game but he made the most mistakes out of anyone on the team combined, a lot of bad passes causing turnovers but honestly it wasn't that big of a deal because when it happened it just looked like he was trying something new or wanted to do something cool for the fans.

Stastny: Staz showed up and showed why we are paying him 7mil. He looked like the number one center we are looking for. He had a few gaffs here and there but overall he was a beast. He had some excellent passes and scored 2 great goals.

Rattie: Rattie looked pretty good. He had some nice passes but never really had an opportunity to shoot. He was actually very involved physically, he threw a couple big hits. While he's not a bad player and do think he has the chance to be a 3rd/2nd line tweener. I don't see him having a spot on the Blues and he should be ready to play a full role in the NHL in a year or two.

Pajaarvi: BUST

Caron: He looked good early on in the game and was hounding the puck but as the game progressed he started to disappear. Wouldn't be a bad 3rd/4th line guy.

Jaskin: Figured I would save the best for last again. Jaskin was a monster out there. In the third period had absolutely laid out Nichushkin to where he was slow getting to the bench while Jaskin hustled his ass back down the ice. He was involved in every single play and at times it felt like he was playing center on his line instead of Schwartz just because he covered so much ice. I said earlier that his skating has improved tenfold. He is now fast, I would say his speed can be compared to Schwartz's and his edgework while not spectacular, is certainly a huge improvement as it seems that after he's done turning, his first step is much quicker now. His pass to Stastny in the third was one of the most beautiful passes I've ever seen. It was a two on two with Jaskin carrying the puck up through the center of the ice and cut to the outside right wing and did a little power move on the Dallas defenseman only to give a sweet tape to tape saucer pass all the way to Staz on the complete opposite wing for him to blast it home with a one-timer. Jaskin has me very excited for this year and I can see him easily putting up 25-30 goals with 45-50 points this year.

Elliott: Ells played the whole game and faced 22 shots stopping them all. He really didn't get challenged much but he looked solid.

You're my hero. Thank you for the awesome write-up! Let's get this season going! :yo:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So just got home from the game and what a game to watch. The Blues played a very uptempo game with very quick transitions. Every defensemen had fantastic pinches and kept the puck in the zone nearly every time I thought the puck would for sure leave the zone. There was a little bit of sloppy play from the offense but it just looked like regular preseason mistakes, just being a little lazy trying some cute passes. Anyways time for my player analysis.

Parayko: Just as I said in my previous post, this guy plays as he was advertised. He was a head taller than everyone on the ice including Pietrangelo. He wasn't all that physical in terms of trying to hit guys but he did win almost every single board battle in both zones. He has a great stick that he used very well to keep the puck in the zone, keep the cycle going when deep in the offensive zone, and easy pokechecks when players would come down on him in his own zone. His skating was awkward at times but I think that is only because of his size, his edgework was nice and he has big long strides. See's the ice well and can make tape to tape passes quick and effectively. He does need to work on his wrist shot from the point because all of them were flutterers, but man was his slapshot a bomb and when he would shoot the whole crowd would ooh and ahh.

Edmundson: He impressed me the most out of him and Parayko. He's for sure NHL ready. Not just physically because the guy is HUGE, but his game is very well rouned and was actually surprised how well he can skate and move the puck for not seeing him play before and only hearing how big of a bruiser he was. I don't see him in the AHL much longer at all. Once Gunnarson is gone, he'll easily be able to replace him. I would say he has mid 2nd/very high 3rd pairing potential.

Lindbohm: He played with Petro the whole game and was awesome. Loved his game just as much as I did last season. He made very little mistakes, had some great pinches, and a nice goal (assist?) still think Jaskin tipped it, was on the other end so I didn't get a good look. I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Petro all year.

Shattenkirk: Good ol' Shatty. Looking like he is in the same form of last year. He had an incredible save in the third when Elliott two pad stack slid way out of the net and Shatty came rushing in and blocked a goal, crowd went nuts.

Benoit: I was actually surprised with Benoit, I thought he played a solid game. He didn't wow you but he definitely stood out in a good way in both zones.

Pietrangelo: Saving the best for last. Man oh man was this guy on a completely different level than anyone on the ice including Tarasenko. Pietrangelo absolutely DOMINATED the game. I wasn't sure if he was playing left or right defense, left wing, right wing, center, or goalie. He was always involved in any play. He would skate up the ice effortlessly with the puck gaining beautiful zone entries. His patience with the puck was something to behold, there were so many times I thought he was going to get the puck stolen but he would curl and slow up to make a beautiful pass to set up a scoring chance. I'm not even lying when I'm saying he looked even better than he did in the playoffs last year. I lost my voice from all of his plays alone.

Schwartz: He played only okay. He wasn't bad but really wasn't noticeable on the ice but maybe that's because Jaskin stole the show.

Steen: Steen played like the Steen of the past 2 seasons. Absolute dog on the puck and had some nifty passes.

Tarasenko: Tarasenko definitely looks more confident out there than he ever has, he looks very comfortable. He played a good game but he made the most mistakes out of anyone on the team combined, a lot of bad passes causing turnovers but honestly it wasn't that big of a deal because when it happened it just looked like he was trying something new or wanted to do something cool for the fans.

Stastny: Staz showed up and showed why we are paying him 7mil. He looked like the number one center we are looking for. He had a few gaffs here and there but overall he was a beast. He had some excellent passes and scored 2 great goals.

Rattie: Rattie looked pretty good. He had some nice passes but never really had an opportunity to shoot. He was actually very involved physically, he threw a couple big hits. While he's not a bad player and do think he has the chance to be a 3rd/2nd line tweener. I don't see him having a spot on the Blues and he should be ready to play a full role in the NHL in a year or two.

Pajaarvi: BUST

Caron: He looked good early on in the game and was hounding the puck but as the game progressed he started to disappear. Wouldn't be a bad 3rd/4th line guy.

Jaskin: Figured I would save the best for last again. Jaskin was a monster out there. In the third period had absolutely laid out Nichushkin to where he was slow getting to the bench while Jaskin hustled his ass back down the ice. He was involved in every single play and at times it felt like he was playing center on his line instead of Schwartz just because he covered so much ice. I said earlier that his skating has improved tenfold. He is now fast, I would say his speed can be compared to Schwartz's and his edgework while not spectacular, is certainly a huge improvement as it seems that after he's done turning, his first step is much quicker now. His pass to Stastny in the third was one of the most beautiful passes I've ever seen. It was a two on two with Jaskin carrying the puck up through the center of the ice and cut to the outside right wing and did a little power move on the Dallas defenseman only to give a sweet tape to tape saucer pass all the way to Staz on the complete opposite wing for him to blast it home with a one-timer. Jaskin has me very excited for this year and I can see him easily putting up 25-30 goals with 45-50 points this year.

Elliott: Ells played the whole game and faced 22 shots stopping them all. He really didn't get challenged much but he looked solid.
Man...I'm having a hard time trying not to get excited

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Parayko: he did win almost every single board battle in both zones. He has a great stick that he used very well to keep the puck in the zone, keep the cycle going when deep in the offensive zone, and easy pokechecks when players would come down on him in his own zone. See's the ice well and can make tape to tape passes quick and effectively.

Edmundson: He's for sure NHL ready. Not just physically because the guy is HUGE, but his game is very well rounded and was actually surprised how well he can skate and move the puck.

Lindbohm: He made very little mistakes, had some great pinches, and a nice goal (assist?). I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Petro all year.

B]Pietrangelo:[/B] absolutely DOMINATED the game. He would skate up the ice effortlessly with the puck gaining beautiful zone entries. His patience with the puck was something to behold.

Tarasenko: Tarasenko definitely looks more confident out there than he ever has, he looks very comfortable.

Rattie: Rattie looked pretty good. He had some nice passes . He was actually very involved physically, he threw a couple big hits. He should be ready to play a full role in the NHL in a year or two.

Caron: He looked good early on in the game and was hounding the puck. Wouldn't be a bad 3rd/4th line guy.

Jaskin: Jaskin was a monster out there. absolutely laid out Nichushkin He was involved in every single play and at times it felt like he was playing center on his line instead of Schwartz just because he covered so much ice. His skating has improved tenfold. He is now fast. His speed can be compared to Schwartz's and his edgework is certainly a huge improvement as it seems that after he's done turning, his first step is much quicker now. His pass to Stastny in the third was one of the most beautiful passes I've ever seen. Jaskin has me very excited for this year and I can see him easily putting up 25-30 goals with 45-50 points this year.

Thanks a LOT for this report - especially nice as we didn't even have radio for this game, Nice to read all this good news -ALL things for which I was hoping!

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I think that Steen - Lehterä - Tarasenko is best for The Blues, to allow the goal-scoring and passing ability to be spread across 3 lines, rather than 2. This works fine now, as Fabbrl is being added to The Top 9, and Jaškin, with his new skating ability, will now be a solid Top Sixer.

If Jaskin is as fast as advertised, I'd like to see this:

Schwartz-Stastny-Fabbri
Jaskin-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Backes-Brouwer

A new injection of speed and skill to go with the grinder/beat 'em up mentality of old. :yo:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So how about this Caron fellow.......displace Steve...doesn't do much Ott? That would be nice....

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
tbh I'm most excited about Jaskin after all the love he's getting on here. if he's as fast as you all say he is, I'd roll with:

Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Lehtera-Jaskin
Fabbri-Backes-Brouwer

I think that's the best combo of size, speed, and skill.

but before we all get carried away, let's all remember the never-ending cycle of being a Blues fan. our optimism will turn to ashes in our mouths in the playoffs.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
tbh I'm most excited about Jaskin after all the love he's getting on here. if he's as fast as you all say he is, I'd roll with:

Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Lehtera-Jaskin
Fabbri-Backes-Brouwer

I think that's the best combo of size, speed, and skill.

but before we all get carried away, let's all remember the never-ending cycle of being a Blues fan. our optimism will turn to ashes in our mouths in the playoffs.

Again, if Schwartz's noted preference for playing with Stastny is anything to go off of, that should be taken into account as it pertains to the top nine.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Again, if Schwartz's noted preference for playing with Stastny is anything to go off of, that should be taken into account as it pertains to the top nine.
I think Schwartz should deal with it. If that top line has chemistry then leave them be.

Although if need be I wouldn't mind switching Jaskin and Tarasenko either, as I think those lines would have chemistry too.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Berglund coming back would knock Ott out of most of his minutes, in any case. It would be nice to get rid of Ott's salary as well as knocking him out of the lineup.

We don't need to be worry about Ott's salary. After this season his contract ends, so if they re-sign him its going to be same what Brodziak is taking or he walks, I think last one is going to happened. I think we should be bit worry about Berglund salary rather Ott. He still has 3.7mill.$ x 2 years.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Jul 4, 2014
A few quick thoughts to piggy back on the analysis of others:

-Please end the Schwartz at C experiment. Now. It's not working. The kid looks like he's struggling to make the team and he should be dominating on the boards.

-Don't ever, ever, EVER break up 20-26-91.

-Rattie looked good, but not great. The coaching staff would do the kid and themselves a favor if they moved him to LW. Still, he was hitting and forechecking, he just always seems a half-step behind when the puck comes into the slot, and it is my humble opinion that he's better off the left post than the right. Saw too much of him in junior hockey and the AHL to believe otherwise.

-I thought Paajarvi looked good last night, just not dangerous as a scorer. Drew a couple of early penalties, was engaged physically and forechecked diligently. Very much an NHL player, I just don't think he will ever be Top 6 on any NHL team.

-Elliott looked to be in mid-season form even if he was rarely tested

-As I suspected Tuesday night, Parayko looked much better in his own zone with a lesser partner. He really looked like he was deferring to Jbo below the dots on Tuesday night but was fully engaged last night with Benoit on his left. He's a beast with his stickwork, he just needs more of an edge physically.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Wow, Jaskin's accent has really come along way, it almost sounds more Canadian then Russian/Czech.

You're absolutely right about the accent.

I agree that the Schwartz at C is looking like a failure, but there's still time to try it out. With Lehtera looking ready, we probably don't need to do this any longer, but it's still worth checking out in pre-season.

Steen - Stas - Tank looks great. Also, switching Rattie to LW would really help us as Fabbs, I believe, plays RW and C, as do Brouwer, Backes, Jaskin, etc.. I think he sticks around just because we need that wing depth.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You're absolutely right about the accent.

I agree that the Schwartz at C is looking like a failure, but there's still time to try it out. With Lehtera looking ready, we probably don't need to do this any longer, but it's still worth checking out in pre-season.

Steen - Stas - Tank looks great. Also, switching Rattie to LW would really help us as Fabbs, I believe, plays RW and C, as do Brouwer, Backes, Jaskin, etc.. I think he sticks around just because we need that wing depth.
I'm not too positive about Brouwer, but Backes is the only guy locked into C and RW. Fabbri can play all 3 forward positions, and Jaskin can play LW/RW just prefers his offwing

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Went to the game last night, and I'm no scout but it is hard not to like what I saw from Parayko. He skates like a gazelle, he reads the game well and was never caught out of position. I hope we get to see much more if him this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad