GDT: Game 3: Hurricanes @ Islanders, 7pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think I read on other threads folks discussing Freddie Anderson and the disappointment in his play.. my question is unless Ranta gets hurt have we seen the last of Anderson in a Canes uniform?
After that finish I expect we will see Andersen on Sunday. Not that the collapse was all Raanta’s fault, but Rod will change the goalies now.

Especially with <48 hours between games and Raanta starting 3 straight.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
After that finish I expect we will see Andersen on Sunday. Not that the collapse was all Raanta’s fault, but Rod will change the goalies now.

And it might be Koochie

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023

Oh ok..I thought Anderson was hurt and the rookie was the backup at the moment.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Remember dundon in the interview saying there isn’t much available that improves are team now we have a ahl call up on the first line lmao. And no offense to drury I thought he played well tonight given he got thrown into the fire but I just find what dundon said funny
Yet he still wasn’t wrong in his statement at the time but hey too bad Tom D couldn’t predict the future. How dare he

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
One of the top ranked stories on CBC News this morning :(

55BDEF06-13BE-40A0-9E74-24E497E2DA0C.png

Reactions: zman77

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Yea I get it. Just can’t expect him to carry 2 guys who are playing above where they should be. Maybe the front office thought Jarvis would have a better year but he’s in a sophomore slump. Pretty foolish of them to expect a ton from him tho given it’s only his second season so that’s on them

Who needs groundhogs when you can just wait for this quote.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Team grit must've lost a lot in training camp because we have no one on it.

The guys are literally refusing to hit. If you don't have a McDavid or Kucherov you need to show a lot more sandpaper than the Canes have this series.

In an ideal world where the NHL protects its players or as a team with an elite pp I'd be happy with Rods play between the whistles. This is not that world and our pp is not that pp which means you need to get tough....that's just being pragmatic.

As a team this small we generate no offense off the rush. Watching other teams I'm surprised how different that is from us. I think there is a disconnect between the borg and Rod where if you want to play a cycle and forecheck game that can't score on the pp the personnel are just wrong. Need bigger guys to play that game and not get kept to the perimeter.

Rod won't change his philosophy so the team needs less Seth Jarvis and more Tom Wilson.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Team grit must've lost a lot in training camp because we have no one on it.

The guys are literally refusing to hit. If you don't have a McDavid or Kucherov you need to show a lot more sandpaper than the Canes have this series.

In an ideal world where the NHL protects its players or as a team with an elite pp I'd be happy with Rods play between the whistles. This is not that world and our pp is not that pp which means you need to get tough....that's just being pragmatic.

As a team this small we generate no offense off the rush. Watching other teams I'm surprised how different that is from us. I think there is a disconnect between the borg and Rod where if you want to play a cycle and forecheck game that can't score on the pp the personnel are just wrong. Need bigger guys to play that game and not get kept to the perimeter.

Rod won't change his philosophy so the team needs less Seth Jarvis and more Tom Wilson.
We are getting a ton of PP opportunities in this series, including last night, and we are doing absolutely nothing with it. We've been terrible with the man advantage for well over a year now and the only thing we are doing to resolve it is to keep doing the same thing over and over and over in hopes they work themselves out of a 15 month funk.

I don't know if it's players or coaching but the PP is absolutely broken and we cannot win the Cup without fixing it. The problem is that if it's coaching, we aren't willing to admit it, and if it's personnel we aren't willing to pay the price to bring in guys who will help.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Watching the other playoff series as well it’s really obvious the Canes are the softest team left. Part of that is by design and part of that is Svech is out and Staal is playing with some sort of upper body injury. Now most of the bottom 6 are UFAs so that’s s problem that can be easily addressed. The question is, can the borg actually address it since they’ve shown no interest in, or ability to do so to this point.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Until we get top end scoring talent it really doesn’t matter about spending anything at the deadline.

We have to grow it with Aho (he there yet), Svech and Necas or we have to finally be number 1 in a big name trade.

All of these “tough” guys are going to struggle here. We have seen it with defenders and it will be worse with the 4th line grinders. They aren’t good skaters and we will not run separate philosophies for different lines. Then add in this “softest team” thing is quite overblown year after year, this isn’t the 90s nhl anymore

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Until we get top end scoring talent it really doesn’t matter about spending anything at the deadline.

We have to grow it with Aho (he there yet), Svech and Necas or we have to finally be number 1 in a big name trade.

All of these “tough” guys are going to struggle here. We have seen it with defenders and it will be worse with the 4th line grinders. They aren’t good skaters and we will not run separate philosophies for different lines. Then add in this “softest team” thing is quite overblown year after year, this isn’t the 90s nhl anymore
Why would it be worse for a more physical 4th liner than Stasny and Stepan who are slow as molasses?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
We are getting a ton of PP opportunities in this series, including last night, and we are doing absolutely nothing with it. We've been terrible with the man advantage for well over a year now and the only thing we are doing to resolve it is to keep doing the same thing over and over and over in hopes they work themselves out of a 15 month funk.

I don't know if it's players or coaching but the PP is absolutely broken and we cannot win the Cup without fixing it. The problem is that if it's coaching, we aren't willing to admit it, and if it's personnel we aren't willing to pay the price to bring in guys who will help.
The power play has only been an issue since March of 2022. Since then they’ve brought in Burns, Max Pac, Stastny, and Ghost. All historically strong on the PP. unfortunately Max got hurt and Stastny is completely cooked.

The idea that they keep doing the same thing over and over again is completely false, unless you are considering being mid the only test for that. Hell in this series they’ve changed up positioning and entry points because the Islanders are pressing Burns and forcing them out of what they want to do.

They aren’t winning face offs and they make dumb choices with the puck.

And of course with all that said they have 3 more PP goals than 4 other playoff teams, including Colorado.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Well at least Necas punched an Islander in the face on their own bench, lol. My wife thought that was great.

But the fact that he got thrown in there was humiliating, and was the rest of the game. This team is as weak as my grandmother's period. And she's dead.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
One of the top ranked stories on CBC News this morning :(

View attachment 693887
The last second PP goal mentally Fugged Raanta, Immediately allows anther goal gets pulled immediate empty netter goes back in and Immediately allows a third goal, Raanta is streaky and lacks mental toughness.

Watching the other playoff series as well it’s really obvious the Canes are the softest team left. Part of that is by design and part of that is Svech is out and Staal is playing with some sort of upper body injury. Now most of the bottom 6 are UFAs so that’s s problem that can be easily addressed. The question is, can the borg actually address it since they’ve shown no interest in, or ability to do so to this point.
Nah that distinction belongs to the NEW JERSEY DEVILS.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
We've never been a rough and tumble team, except on rare nights when we feel like hitting. Notice, we win most games when we do (imagine that). That is a disservice to us in the playoffs against tough opponents who are not shy about sending our guys into the bleachers.

I know we are not a "scoring" team now but that needs to change. Even with Svech and TT, we werent really lighting the lamp. However, without them, we won't have the possibility of them getting hot for us. I think Rod is doing a great job with a roster that, on paper, doesnt look like a championship line-up. Keep your expectations realistic this season.

Not going to over-speculate how the rest of this series or postseason will pan out, but if we continue our inability to get a W in the white jerseys on Sunday, we have a right to be agitated.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The power play has only been an issue since March of 2022. Since then they’ve brought in Burns, Max Pac, Stastny, and Ghost. All historically strong on the PP. unfortunately Max got hurt and Stastny is completely cooked.

The idea that they keep doing the same thing over and over again is completely false, unless you are considering being mid the only test for that. Hell in this series they’ve changed up positioning and entry points because the Islanders are pressing Burns and forcing them out of what they want to do.

They aren’t winning face offs and they make dumb choices with the puck.

And of course with all that said they have 3 more PP goals than 4 other playoff teams, including Colorado.
Positioning is one thing. Actually changing up how we play the PP is what we need to do. We need constant movement away from the puck, we need to get it down to the circles as often as possible and only send it to the point for either an immediate redirect to the other side or a shot. And we need someone permanently parked in front of the goal with the other 4 guys moving the puck with intent, not waiting around to see who may or may not come open. The hesitation consistently allows the PK to smother everything we try to do.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Positioning is one thing. Actually changing up how we play the PP is what we need to do. We need constant movement away from the puck, we need to get it down to the circles as often as possible and only send it to the point for either an immediate redirect to the other side or a shot. And we need someone permanently parked in front of the goal with the other 4 guys moving the puck with intent, not waiting around to see who may or may not come open. The hesitation consistently allows the PK to smother everything we try to do.
Sounds like advice that should be coming from one of our coaches... or either its not taking.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

Oh it's coaching. I have no doubt, but for some reason we have career 4th liner Jeff Daniels running it?? If he's not, I'm not sure exactly what he does besides be Rod's yes man and just stand there.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So 1 guy stands still while the other 4 are constantly moving? I see the merit in that but where does the payoff in terms of more goals come from? I’m just having a hard time envisioning what that translates to is all. Not dismissing it as a potential strategy.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So 1 guy stands still while the other 4 are constantly moving? I see the merit in that but where does the payoff in terms of more goals come from? I’m just having a hard time envisioning what that translates to is all. Not dismissing it as a potential strategy.
You have to prevent the PK from being allowed to set up. If one guy has the puck on the wing then at least 2 others should be switching position to see if one pops open. If you notice they are employing a box to take away lanes, then have someone cutting throught he soft zone in the middle. Make the PK uncomfortable.

Right now, we play the PP station to station and it all revolves around movement from the point. Most games we see two guys at the blue line, 2 guys at the wing, and the guy in front of the net. And that means that the guy in front of the net is constantly away from that positioning to get anything down low and vacates any and all screen opportunity we would have.

It's all painfully deliberate in its execution, and so predictable that most teams are able to effectively PK against it by largely standing in place to clog up shooting lanes from the point.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I don't think #grit is the problem. I think not scoring an ES goal in 2 out of 3 games is the problem. Makes sense, the Canes forwards are an above average but not great offense at best bunch, and they're down Svechnikov and Teravainen- and we can add Patches in there too, since he was brought in specifically to amend this problem.

I hate to be a pessimist, but even if the Canes get past the Islanders it's hard to see something other than them getting bulldozed by the Rags. The Canes don't have the scoring, and they don't have the goaltending to win a defensive duel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad