GDT: Game 3: Hurricanes @ Islanders, 7pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Watching the other playoff series as well it’s really obvious the Canes are the softest team left. Part of that is by design and part of that is Svech is out and Staal is playing with some sort of upper body injury. Now most of the bottom 6 are UFAs so that’s s problem that can be easily addressed. The question is, can the borg actually address it since they’ve shown no interest in, or ability to do so to this point.

110% I'd also like to see what Burns can do when not told to play between the whistles.

Reactions: Borsig

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I’m not worried about Raanta mentally. Physically you can only ask so much from him and it’s why I wanted someone else to start yesterday. If you lose you come back with a fresh Raanta. Now they have a tired starter and are on the brink of pissing away the series lead.
Fair points.

I only brought up him being rattled as a concern since our goalies, since the final weeks of the season, seem to have had confidence issues IMO. More so Andersen and Pyotr than Rantaa though I think. I don't know what else could explain their glaring basic mistakes like getting caught behind the net and turning the puck over before it's scored for example; especially when they were indecisive.

Andersen has seemed more shaky confidence wise to me.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Even if they go back 2-2 they're still in the drivers seat for a best of 3. So I think you start one of the other two Sunday on the "short" turn around and if they win and look good stick with them. If they lose and look good you've got options and if they lose and look like shit you go back to a rested Raanta.

The main concern is that the longer this series go, the more likely it is (IMO) that the Islanders take the series. Our history with adjusting our gameplan is...not good, and there was a quote from Aho recently about how they treat pregame scouting:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The main concern is that the longer this series go, the more likely it is (IMO) that the Islanders take the series. Our history with adjusting our gameplan is...not good, and there was a quote from Aho recently about how they treat pregame scouting:

Well except for the 7 games series win against the Caps and the 7 games series win against the Bruins.

That statement just isn't really true in Rods time as bench boss the team has swept, been swept, won short series, lost short series, won long and lost long.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well except for the 7 games series win against the Caps and the 7 games series win against the Bruins.

That statement just isn't really true in Rods time as bench boss the team has swept, been swept, won short series, lost short series, won long and lost long.

Assuming you mean the lack of adjustment when you refer to "that statement", I'd say it's very true.

In many of the series we've played in Rod's time as coach, we've had opportunities to adjust, to finish games or series by adjusting, and have failed to do so. It's no secret that the Canes have been...just godawful...on the road in the playoffs. We're on a 7(?)-game road losing streak, and we're 5-15 on the road since Rod took over.

We have a gameplan and matchups and when we can control those factors, we find success. When we don't control those factors, we fail, because we don't adjust to not having control of them.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
It was a frustrating game all the way around. As a team, we have to figure out how to score 5x5, how to win on the road, and how to shift our lineups/play to keep the other team guessing. Definitely not looking forward to a matinee game tomorrow.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
First of all, I fully expected a loss. The Isles NEEDED that game, they were playing to a crazy and rabid home crowd, and they have the experience from past playoff runs to know how to at least piece together wins. The question is, at least to me, what they do tomorrow. I genuinely believe that Game 4 is more winnable than Game 3.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Assuming you mean the lack of adjustment when you refer to "that statement", I'd say it's very true.

In many of the series we've played in Rod's time as coach, we've had opportunities to adjust, to finish games or series by adjusting, and have failed to do so. It's no secret that the Canes have been...just godawful...on the road in the playoffs. We're on a 7(?)-game road losing streak, and we're 5-15 on the road since Rod took over.

We have a gameplan and matchups and when we can control those factors, we find success. When we don't control those factors, we fail, because we don't adjust to not having control of them.
No the statement that we don't win long series, its just not true. We have lost in a myriad of ways its usually not the same thing. Rods first season they won a game 7 on the road, swept these same Isles on the next round before being swept. Then there was the covid season where every game was a road game. We sweet the Rongos before again going down to the Bruins. We put the Preds out on their ice the following season and of course last year we couldn't win a road game at all.

Thats hockey baby!

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
No the statement that we don't win long series, its just not true. We have lost in a myriad of ways its usually not the same thing. Rods first season they won a game 7 on the road, swept these same Isles on the next round before being swept. Then there was the covid season where every game was a road game. We sweet the Rongos before again going down to the Bruins. We put the Preds out on their ice the following season and of course last year we couldn't win a road game at all.

Thats hockey baby!

I never said we don’t win long series, just that the longer the series goes on, the better the odds the Islanders have to take the series. Which is just factually true. Because in order for the series to go longer, the Islanders would have to win tomorrow, and if they win tomorrow, their odds of winning the series have obviously improved.

Reactions: Canes

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Unrelated to the discussion but watching the Rangers/Devils and was curious why the Canes didnt try to resign Vincent Trocheck.. looked up his new contract and saw the 7 year 40 mil deal.. guess that is the reason.
Yeah the real only head scratching move the Borq has made was not bringing back Nino. He left and didn't sign for a whole lotto money

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I see a lot of people realizing the nature of our team and why we'll never win anything as currently constructed, injuries or not. But it might be too late, unless the Borg figures it out in the next year or two, we'll be rebuilding again.

(sorry if that hurts your feelings)

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I see a lot of people realizing the nature of our team and why we'll never win anything as currently constructed, injuries or not. But it might be too late, unless the Borg figures it out in the next year or two, we'll be rebuilding again.

To be fair, with the way our contracts have worked out, we really didn’t have the cap space to really fundamentally change the lineup until this upcoming offseason and next.

We could adjust our lineup (and we have), but we have essentially committed to this core group of players until next offseason, and we’re finding out that they may just not have what it takes.

So next offseason, we may have to make some seriously difficult decisions about whether or not we believe we can win a Cup with this core group.

Reactions: ElmCityGuy

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yeah the real only head scratching move the Borq has made was not bringing back Nino. He left and didn't sign for a whole lotto money
nino wanted a lot more for a lot longer and the agent played themselves out of a market. only Nashville was left

Unrelated to the discussion but watching the Rangers/Devils and was curious why the Canes didnt try to resign Vincent Trocheck.. looked up his new contract and saw the 7 year 40 mil deal.. guess that is the reason.
canes are fine with losing a player and 3 good years of production to not pay for likely 4+ years of declining production.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
H

I absolutely believe we would be contenders without the injuries this year. That said, obviously ownership needs to go to work this offseason.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
To be fair, with the way our contracts have worked out, we really didn’t have the cap space to really fundamentally change the lineup until this upcoming offseason and next.

We could adjust our lineup (and we have), but we have essentially committed to this core group of players until next offseason, and we’re finding out that they may just not have what it takes.

So next offseason, we may have to make some seriously difficult decisions about whether or not we believe we can win a Cup with this core group.
The core of Aho/Pesce/Slavin was a nice start and adding Svech with maybe Jarvis/Necas and presumably Koko adds some depth but was never going to be good enough to win a cup.

If we started over we wouldn’t have much to start with. None of our prospects are game breakers and we’ll spend enough to be mediocre enough to not get a high pick.

Gonna be an interesting few years if we can’t reshape enough this off season to win. At least we know we’ll always spend to the cap, and the owner thinks we can always buy defense.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't think #grit is the problem. I think not scoring an ES goal in 2 out of 3 games is the problem. Makes sense, the Canes forwards are an above average but not great offense at best bunch, and they're down Svechnikov and Teravainen- and we can add Patches in there too, since he was brought in specifically to amend this problem.

I hate to be a pessimist, but even if the Canes get past the Islanders it's hard to see something other than them getting bulldozed by the Rags. The Canes don't have the scoring, and they don't have the goaltending to win a defensive duel.

Yes but its seems pretty clear year after year- that the scoring dries up as soon as they start getting blown up against the boards. So while scoring is more important than grit, without grit you don't get to score with this bunch.

This can be addressed but never is other than halfhearted, short lived stuff. They need to pay the Caps whatever they want for Tom Wilson.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The core of Aho/Pesce/Slavin was a nice start and adding Svech with maybe Jarvis/Necas and presumably Koko adds some depth but was never going to be good enough to win a cup.

If we started over we wouldn’t have much to start with. None of our prospects are game breakers and we’ll spend enough to be mediocre enough to not get a high pick.

Gonna be an interesting few years if we can’t reshape enough this off season to win. At least we know we’ll always spend to the cap, and the owner thinks we can always buy defense.
“None of our prospects are game breakers”

Canes are closer than we think though. I’m not a believer in keeping low first round draft picks when you can get a quality NHLer. It worked for Skjei and KK and I would have traded two firsts for guys like Hagel who is a difference maker. The roster would look much better and be deeper which is what you need. (Stephan and stastny are washed up pros).

Last edited:

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Yes but its seems pretty clear year after year- that the scoring dries up as soon as they start getting blown up against the boards. So while scoring is more important than grit, without grit you don't get to score with this bunch.

This can be addressed but never is other than halfhearted, short lived stuff. They need to pay the Caps whatever they want for Tom Wilson.
Odds are that Wilson isn’t going anywhere.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It seems kinda ridiculous to sign him to an extension when the team needs to rebuild. But then again there is loyalty and esprit de corps which we could use here.

Based off what I've heard, the Capitals aren't doing a full rebuild. At least, not as long as OV is on the team. They do plan on getting younger (which is why they let Laviolette go), but they still plan on competing.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
Great games today.. several go to OT and the Avs/Krak is close. Getting tired of seeing that amazon commercial with the dude in the yellow jacket.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad