Post-Game Talk: Game #3 - Canucks 5, Flames 4 in OT: "Bork, bork, bork!" - Eddie Lack

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanevian*

You mean the game?

No, I'm watching because I'm a huge Canucks fan. They're my second favourite team and Burrows is my favourite player in the league.

Wow, I am a huge Hawks fan and Keith is my fave.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Torts said the two highlights of the game for him were the play of Eddie Lack and the play of Ryan Stanton. He suggested the team's comeback wasn't just because of the line juggling but because they really wanted to win it for Lack. He also heaped tons of praise on Stanton. Said he has 'jam' and 'moxy'. Seriously though, he's clearly a big Stanton fan.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yay we came on on top of a dogfight with the Flames!!! :laugh:

In all seriousness though, this team is fun to watch in the offensive zone a lot of the time...but in the neutral zone, it's painful to watch at times. And in our own zone...holy cluster****. It's just absurdly ugly hockey to watch, and you can chalk some of it up to 'adjustments' still...but it's looking more and more like the ugly mess that got Torts fired in NY.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Very happy to see a Canucks coach actually attempt splitting up the Sedins. It always bugged me that AV would never ever attempt this, even when the Sedin's were clearly struggling for games at a time. Putting Daniel with Kesler finally gives Kesler the elite playmaker fans have longed for. Henrik has proven in the past he can be a point per game center regardless of linemates. In fact he even played a little better sometimes, showing less reluctance to shoot the puck.

It's not like if this doesn't work, you can't go right back to playing the Sedin's together again. They won't lose their chemistry. Great to see, this is definitely one plus to bringing in a new coach.

Also I really like Santorelli's game, even ignoring the goals. He's a smart player who manages the puck well and makes smart decisions. He also battles like crazy to win the puck and his positioning is generally very good. I think the pro scout's may have got one right here. Not sure if he's a legit third liner or not, might be more of a fourth liner, but he's clearly NHL material, unlike Ebbett.

Richardson is more of a fourth liner, but I like his game alright too. Great skater and generally manages the puck well. Hope he keeps it up. Decent signing.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
How does Santorelli not even get any star of the game with scoring two goals? Something's odd there. Good pick up by Vancouver.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Yay we came on on top of a dogfight with the Flames!!! :laugh:

In all seriousness though, this team is fun to watch in the offensive zone a lot of the time...but in the neutral zone, it's painful to watch at times. And in our own zone...holy cluster****. It's just absurdly ugly hockey to watch, and you can chalk some of it up to 'adjustments' still...but it's looking more and more like the ugly mess that got Torts fired in NY.

Mightbwant to give it more than three games before we see the team settle into Torts' :help:system.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Very happy to see a Canucks coach actually attempt splitting up the Sedins. It always bugged me that AV would never ever attempt this, even when the Sedin's were clearly struggling for games at a time. Putting Daniel with Kesler finally gives Kesler the elite playmaker fans have longed for. Henrik has proven in the past he can be a point per game center regardless of linemates. In fact he even played a little better sometimes, showing less reluctance to shoot the puck.

It's not like if this doesn't work, you can't go right back to playing the Sedin's together again. They won't lose their chemistry. Great to see, this is definitely one plus to bringing in a new coach.

Also I really like Santorelli's game, even ignoring the goals. He's a smart player who manages the puck well and makes smart decisions. He also battles like crazy to win the puck and his positioning is generally very good. I think the pro scout's may have got one right here. Not sure if he's a legit third liner or not, might be more of a fourth liner, but he's clearly NHL material, unlike Ebbett.

Richardson is more of a fourth liner, but I like his game alright too. Great skater and generally manages the puck well. Hope he keeps it up. Decent signing.

Good post. Couldn't have said, the bolded, better myself.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Strong start and finish here with a big, big lull in the middle. But very glad to see the coach change things up to good success, and to have some of our role players come through. Also very happy for Eddie Lack to get his first NHL win - well deserved.

Stanton has been very steady in his limited action. Wonder if this will soon spell the end of Alberts so the Canucks can recall a forward to fill in for injuries.

Santorelli with a big game. Had some big shot block and PK efforts in addition to his two goals.

Richardson has looked really solid to start the year after a very quiet preseason. Weise also had a very strong game; carried the puck out of danger several times before scoring his big goal.

Who'd a thunk splitting up the Twins would work? And I'll admit I was cursing under my breath when. I saw Stanton, Richardson and Santorelli on the ice at the same time in OT, but it was yet another gut coaching move that paid off. Great in-game adjustments from Tortorella.

Not a pretty win, but it's a win.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
LOL @ all the people at the start of the year who knocked on Santorelli.

What a game by the guy we pay 600K.

It's only the third game. It's consistency with this guy.

he came into camp in fit shape and said the right things.
Does he finally see this might be his last chance. Or will he revert back to ehat he was in Nashville

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Good comeback, but the guys really need to adjust to Torts' defensive system fast. Torts likes to overly pressure every puck and try to win every battle. In almost every area of the ice, the Canucks will overload the wall with 3 or 4 guys to win the puck. its entertaining, keeps the offensive pressure and creates turnovers.

The problem is our coverage/backchecking hasn't been good enough. There have been way too many odd-man rushes and breakaways in the first three games. They're the result of a loose puck squirting out of one the overloaded battles on the wall and everyone is caught behind the play. Hamhuis has had particular trouble adjusting. AV's system would involve a lot more "regrouping" and setting up a type of neutral zone trap.

Not saying I don't like Torts' system. But we need to adjust fast. We can beat up Alberta teams even with loose coverage. But against actual Western conference contenders life will be a lot more difficult.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Pretty alright performance, didn't really wake up until it was 3-1, from there it was what they should have been doing, big win cause we need these points over supposedly weaker teams.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Didn't watch the whole game but in the part I did Canucks were having a dreadful time in their own end. Canucks looked bad for long stretches of time and thankfully Lack played well during those stretches

Hamhuis must be hurt. He was once again terrible. Just gift wrapping chance after chance for the Flames. Mobility seems there but his decision making is brutal. If he keeps this up Corrado might be back up here sooner than expected. Rightfully benched in the third

Thought a much better start by Booth. Was going to the net and creating chances. Maybe the only Canuck early in the game. However, sagged badly as the game went on and started arcing out of the play and struggling to stop and start with any sort of acceleration. Maybe to be expected with no pre-season and the long lay off. Game encourages me to believe Booth can help once he improves his conditioning and gains a little stamina.

Play of Kesler remains worrying. Seems to still be nursing himself thru games. I think this is, in part, due to his realization that he can't survive playing the gung-ho style of the past. But still his mobility looks lot less than earlier in his career. Hope he is not like players like Ricci and Peca that went thru a lot of injuries and lost much of their speed.

Higgins, once again, struggled. Hansen is simply the better player now.

I was just commenting on the atrocious stick handling of Weise and then he scores. Go figure. Nice play there by Richardson.

Santorelli is carving out a place on the team. Would say, right now with everyone playing, lineup would go.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Hansen
Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian
Weise - Richardson - Sestito

Probably looking at keeping couple of extra forwards around and waiving someone like Weber or Alberts. Stanton seems to have clearly bumped these players out of consideration for a starting position (and really is the only thing giving credence to Gillis youth movement) and I believe you have to give Schroeder and Dalpe a longer look. Also its likely Santorelli will tire at times so you have want to have the capacity to sub in others like Dalpe. Would say off this game that Dalpe showed a better turn of speed.

Surprised to see the amount of time Russel got on the Calgary defense. He is going to have difficulty sustaining this. Also Monahan produced some good offense but was horrible in his own zone. Having him out there is going to produce big problems in Calgary this season.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Third + fourth line has showed up since the dreadful 1st game. Really nice too see

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I was extremely critical of the Canucks depth forwards after their no-show effort in San Jose.

However, they have definitely earned some praise after their contributions against the Oilers and Flames. Primarily Richardson and Santorelli, who have really stepped it up the last two games. I also think it's worth acknowledging the performance by Sestito against the Oilers, as he definitely made his presence felt in that game.

It's great to see the depth guys up front performing, but I'm still skeptical that it will last. Let's hope I'm wrong...

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Torts said the two highlights of the game for him were the play of Eddie Lack and the play of Ryan Stanton. He suggested the team's comeback wasn't just because of the line juggling but because they really wanted to win it for Lack. He also heaped tons of praise on Stanton. Said he has 'jam' and 'moxy'. Seriously though, he's clearly a big Stanton fan.

I don't think you can really ask for much more out of Stanton than we have got in the first three games. He certainly doesn't look out of place out there.

You would have to think this spells the end of Alberts, especially with Weber having the flexibility to play all over the ice.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Congrats to Lack on his first NHL win.

Nail-biter for sure, but my man Juice delivered via Santorelli.

Bieksa deserves many congrats for the finish.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Is it to soon to start the "Richardson>Lapierre" debate? I loved Lappy, probably more then at least 95% of you.. But man Richardson has been impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad