Post-Game Talk: Game #3 - Canucks 5, Flames 4 in OT: "Bork, bork, bork!" - Eddie Lack

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Weise: 3-1-0-1
Richardson: 3-1-1-3
Santorelli: 3-2-0-2

B-but guys. Our third line sucks. It can't score. Who didn't give them the memo?!

Come on, our depth got slaughtered against quality depth (San Jose) but has played well against even worse depth (Edmonton and Calgary).

I will say I've been pleasantly surprised that Richardson - Santorelli - Weise has turned into an effective line. That is a decent 4th line on a cup contending team, not a 3rd.

I also have been impressed by Booth, I think he's been good the past two games. Not sure we people are ragging on him. Him and Kesler are 2 3rds of an OK 2nd line, but that line desperately needs a playmaker (Kassian? - hopeful but probably unlikely).

Where we are screwed imo is the 3rd line C. While Higgins and Hansen are more than capable 3rd line wingers, Schroeder will be in way over his head imo.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Come on, our depth got slaughtered against quality depth (San Jose) but has played well against even worse depth (Edmonton and Calgary).

I will say I've been pleasantly surprised that Richardson - Santorelli - Weise has turned into an effective line. That is a decent 4th line on a cup contending team, not a 3rd.

I also have been impressed by Booth, I think he's been good the past two games. Not sure we people are ragging on him. Him and Kesler are 2 3rds of an OK 2nd line, but that line desperately needs a playmaker (Kassian? - hopeful but probably unlikely).

Where we are screwed imo is the 3rd line C. While Higgins and Hansen are more than capable 3rd line wingers, Schroeder will be in way over his head imo.

This is fair. Santo might be able to take that third line c spot, and move Schroeder down to the 4th line. Not sure yet what we have in Dalpe either. At any rate, the third line c is still very much an open question.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I can't help but feel this was a conditioning win. Like, Flames poured it all on the first two periods and the Canucks had more gas in the third.

But the Canucks played last night so that would imply their conditioning is monstrous. Hmmm. I dunno.

Also I feel pretty smug about Stanton. No one believed me when I said he was a solid addition. The only reason he wasn't on the Blackhawks is our lefty heavy their back end is. We're a bit more balanced in that respect and had room.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
I going guess Richardson santorelli Weise will be our fourth line.......just need to fix third line

So all we need is a healthy Burrows, a contributing Kassian (or Schroeder), and continue with the annual trade deadline acquisition of an UFA to be (for a 2nd, or better yet 3rd) and we're good to go.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
For all those people who jumped down my throat this summer when I reasoned that splitting up the Sedins would be a good idea because it would put one great play-maker on both top lines, I'd just like to say.

I TOLD YOU SO!

And for all you who didn't want Torts even though I explained that he'd have the gonads to split up the Sedin, I'd like to mention.

I TOLD YOU SO!

I feel so validated :D

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I going guess Richardson santorelli Weise will be our fourth line.......just need to fix third line

Burrows - Schroeder - Kassian

... point being, that once we get those three back, I think our third line should sort itself out pretty well.

Forwards

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Santorelli - Richardson
Dalpe - Sestito

Defence

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev
Alberts

That's actually a pretty solid lineup when healthy

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario

They won't be on the third line when the Canucks are healthy but it's good to know that we have the depth we need to get through injuries for now. As for Schroeder, I've been watch him ever since we drafted him and it's not exactly fair to judge on one rookie season that had AV as the coach (limited minutes, no push to do better, assume no communication). He's a kid that has lots of talent, needs to transition it into the NHL.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
So all we need is a healthy Burrows, a contributing Kassian (or Schroeder), and continue with the annual trade deadline acquisition of an UFA to be (for a 2nd, or better yet 3rd) and we're good to go.

There's one man this team needs to target. A impending UFA whose team will likely miss the playoffs. Known by some as the "Swiss utility knife", and the captain of the German national team.

That man is:

MARCEL GOC

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC

We shouldn't write off Santorelli as the third line center until he shows us that he's not one. When everyone's healthy he's likely to have quality linemates in Higgins and Hansen. He lost his game in Florida, but you can see that there's a good player there. Whether or not he's able to bring it consistently will be the question.

I actually think, once everyone is healthy and Kassian is back, that we have pretty good balance on our forward lines. I anticipate a healthy lineup looks something like:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen
Weise - Schroeder - Richardson

Which is pretty good depth. I agree with you that the biggest question mark is Santorelli in that 3C role, but we'll see.

I also like what I've seen system wise. I feel like this team is going to score more this year based solely on the fact that they're not sitting back once they get a lead. They looked horrible for a long stretch tonight, but Torts pressed the right buttons and they got going, and more importantly, when they got going they were able to score. It has been 11 goals against bad goaltending, but we made numerous "bad" goalies look like all stars under AV.

Also a final random thought, but I'm getting the feeling Garrison is going to have a very big year. Career high in points, and close to his career high in goals.

LolClarkson*

You don't know what Schroeder will do when he's 100%.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Also a final random thought, but I'm getting the feeling Garrison is going to have a very big year. Career high in points, and close to his career high in goals.

Gosh I hope so. I have him in my pool.

On an unrelated note, am I the only one who wants to stick one of our Ronning sized centers between Sestito and Kassian?

LolClarkson*

Gosh I hope so. I have him in my pool.

On an unrelated note, am I the only one who wants to stick one of our Ronning sized centers between Sestito and Kassian?

No

I was thinking the same thing... But it doesn't get done very often in the NHL

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
curious, are you watching this because of Stanton? I've been impressed with him. decent bottom paring dman.
You mean the game?

No, I'm watching because I'm a huge Canucks fan. They're my second favourite team and Burrows is my favourite player in the league.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

The thing I'm taking away is that last year the depth didn't even produce against the bad teams, so this is a step in the right direction. Among the guys who were solidly in the bottom of the lineup last year (Lapierre, Weise, Sestito, Volpatti, Ebbett, Malhotra, etc.), they only got about 10 goals over a 48 game season. 3 games in to this year and they've already gotten 4 goals out of Santorelli, Richardson, and Weise.

Obviously they can't and won't continue at this pace, but based on what I've seen so far, I like those guys' chances of putting up 10+ goal seasons compared to what the Canucks have been filling their 9-12 forward spots with the last couple of years.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You mean the game?

No, I'm watching because I'm a huge Canucks fan. They're my second favourite team and Burrows is my favourite player in the league.

I believe he thinks you're a Hawks fan just wanting to see how Stanton fairs, just because of your username.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I believe he thinks you're a Hawks fan just wanting to see how Stanton fairs, just because of your username.
Oh, right. I forgot Stanton came from the Hawks. Nah, I'm a Habs fan first and foremost. Then Canucks.

After that, whoever I hate less, I guess.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Anyone have a link to the post game presser with torts? I can't get enough angry torts pressers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad