Post-Game Talk: GAME #3 - BRUINS heading home with 4 out of 6 points with 4-1 win in Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Not sure if it's just confirmation bias of me going into the game/season not expecting much from the Bruins, but I felt they didn't look very good last night despite the score. I felt they were out played for a majority of the game. Without Rask being solid, that could have gotten out of hand. A few points that I saw last night.

It was a strange game. I mean, you're saying if not for Rask it could have got out of hand, and I do agree he played well. Then again, if the camera at the blue line is sharper or Krejci moves that puck 1/8th of an inch more into the Ozone it could have been a 5-1 victory. That's quite a swing.

My own impression was that it was a pretty even game. The B's had trouble staying out of the box, and the PP's were 5-2 in WPG's favor after two periods and maybe that was the difference in perception. Thankfully, our PK has been very good, with Backes, Marchand, Moore, Nash, Chara, Carlo, O'Gara and Liles doing most of the heavy lifting.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I was kind of critical of the 4th line, but i like the way it looks. Accairi is a little fire cracker and i love it.

Moore and Nash have been outstanding IMHO. They bring energy, they win draws (60%), even if they don't generate much offense they're safe defensively and keep the pressure off our D and the play in the other zone. Schaler seemed to fit right in there as well.

Only 3 games and all, but we can only evaluate what we've seen.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think folks are SERIOUSLY jumping the gun with the Krejci's garbage/trade talk.

I mean, anyone is tradeable, but they're certainly not going to make that decision based on his first 3 games after surgery. I think he'll be fine.

I'm more concerned about the 3rd line. If Spooner-Krejci-Backes works, what do they do with line 3? I could see them dropping Vatrano into Spooner's spot as soon as he's able, I think that's how they wanted to start the season, but there's a lot of hockey to be played from now til Xmas when Vatrano is expected back.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Moore and Nash have been outstanding IMHO. They bring energy, they win draws (60%), even if they don't generate much offense they're safe defensively and keep the pressure off our D and the play in the other zone. Schaler seemed to fit right in there as well.

Only 3 games and all, but we can only evaluate what we've seen.

Thus far, and it's only early, but you have about 15-16 forwards battling for 12 spots when everyone is healthy. The 1st half will probably be like an extended training camp figuring out who is your everyday forward group.

But I'd include both Moore and Nash as two of roughly 9 forwards that to me should be in the line-up every game. Couple solid signings by Sweeney. Both are versatile and useful players who come to play every night.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Last comment and then I'll shut up...

Overall, I'm really impressed with their drive and compete level. Call that leadership, call it experience, whatever. But they certainly seem to be playing like they fully understand that points in OCT are just as valuable as points in March. They seem to be playing desperate.

Taking 4 of 6 on the road WITHOUT Bergeron is a very good start.

Next test will be to prove that last year's troubles at home are a thing of the past.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Spooner and Krejci will not work together. Both soft as butter.

I don't know if "softness" is really the problem.

Now I will say Krejci probably needs at least one board-battler on his line to dig out pucks and get the puck on his stick.

But you have a center in Krejci whose not fully up-to-speed yet coming off surgery.

And another guy in Spooner being asked to switch to another position, an adjustment that appears to not be working so well.

It's too bad because I was really hoping for 37-46-42 as your 1-2-3 center combo. But Spooner's inability to adjust to the wing probably forces Backes to RW, and Spooner centering the 3rd line again.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Thus far, and it's only early, but you have about 15-16 forwards battling for 12 spots when everyone is healthy. The 1st half will probably be like an extended training camp figuring out who is your everyday forward group.

But I'd include both Moore and Nash as two of roughly 9 forwards that to me should be in the line-up every game. Couple solid signings by Sweeney. Both are versatile and useful players who come to play every night.

Agreed.

Spooner and Krejci will not work together. Both soft as butter.

Savard-Kessel were soft as butter. They worked well together.

Disclaimer: I don't agree that 3 of those 4 players are/were soft, just sayin' similar or perhaps even softer pairs have worked well in the past.

Last edited:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm not a fan of the Krejci contact but I'm not sure we expected him or Krug to be in the roster opening night given the 5 and 6 month recovery time alone for their surgeries.

I doubt either of them are close to 100% and it's too soon to giving them full criticism for how they look out there.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Agreed.

Savard-Kessel were soft as butter. They worked well together.

Marc Savard was not soft, he wasn't Cam Neely but he wasn't Loui Eriksson or Alex Semin either. Sneaky dirty and was pretty good with his stick, also stood up for his teammates.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I think folks are SERIOUSLY jumping the gun with the Krejci's garbage/trade talk.

I mean, anyone is tradeable, but they're certainly not going to make that decision based on his first 3 games after surgery. I think he'll be fine.

I'm more concerned about the 3rd line. If Spooner-Krejci-Backes works, what do they do with line 3? I could see them dropping Vatrano into Spooner's spot as soon as he's able, I think that's how they wanted to start the season, but there's a lot of hockey to be played from now til Xmas when Vatrano is expected back.

Last year, Spoons had proven to be a great 3rd line center. I think he needs to go back there once Bergeron returns. Facing weaker competition should help him get going. Also, I think Beleskey-Spoons-Czarnik could be a nice 3rd line. Spooner and Czarnik both have a great speed game and may find chemistry based on that. Beleskey will keep the opponents honest.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Heinen-DK-Backes
Beleskey-Spoons-Czarnik
Nash-Dom-Acciari

When Vatrano returns, you slot him in for Heinen.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
are people still calling David Krejci soft in the year 2016? Is he frustratingly inconsistent? Hell yeah. Is he soft? Hell no.

It sucks that he's being forced to carry a rookie and a kid adjusting to life on wing, but Krejci has got to figure out a way to elevate them. In any case I think come January his wingers will be Vatrano and Backes so I don't expect Krejci to slump for long. Let's be real, he has always had his slumps, but they never last.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
are people still calling David Krejci soft in the year 2016? Is he frustratingly inconsistent? Hell yeah. Is he soft? Hell no.

I think Krejci is playing soft. And maybe that doesn't exactly describe it. He just seems to be a half second behind everyone else. His decision making and his reactions look slow.

But as I said before, he's basically rehabbing on-the-job. I anticipate he'll improve. More appropriate line mates will help.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Last year, Spoons had proven to be a great 3rd line center. I think he needs to go back there once Bergeron returns. Facing weaker competition should help him get going. Also, I think Beleskey-Spoons-Czarnik could be a nice 3rd line. Spooner and Czarnik both have a great speed game and may find chemistry based on that. Beleskey will keep the opponents honest.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Heinen-DK-Backes
Beleskey-Spoons-Czarnik
Nash-Dom-Acciari

When Vatrano returns, you slot him in for Heinen.

Offensively maybe, defensively he's been anything but great in the middle.

Claude might have to bite the bullet on this one if Spooner can't adjust to the wing.

And he needs a player to play with. He can't carry a line on his own (see March 2016, Belesky-Spooner-Hayes)

And he probably needs a face-off guy with him as he is still pitiful on face-offs.

How about.

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen
Belesky - Krejci - Backes
Moore - Spooner - Pastrnak
Schaller - Nash - Acciari

Hayes as the spare forward. Vatrano can take Schaller's place when he's ready.

Czarnik to Providence until he's completely recovered from his concussion. Even Claude said he hasn't been the same player since. A bit more Providence time won't hurt him. He's always available in case of injuries.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Krejci has looked terrible and I agree at 7 mil per, he should be doing more than he currently is.

However, he did just come off surgery (which is extremely concerning but a different conversation) and has terrible linemates. Heinen is a rookie who is probably not quite NHL ready (I'll give him a few more games but not looking ready) and Spooner who has always been crap on the wing.

When Bergeron comes back, stick Backes up there and I think we'll see something different. Move Spooner to the third line with Beleskey and (god help us all) Hayes.

He's also just one of the most inconsistent players I've ever watched. We knew that when he signed the contract. Comes with his game, unfortunately.

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
Krejci is not the type of center that is going to make his linemates better such as the likes of Savard and Oates. That being said, when he clicks with the right linemates, he can be one of the best forwards in the league.

Heinen is too busy trying to adjust to the pace of the NHL. Spooner at wing just doesn't work despite management and coaching's constant attempts to make it so. I think we'll see a different Krejci when Bergeron is back and his linemates improve.

We can argue all day about whether that's worth $7m or not... but that's another discussion.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Marc Savard was not soft, he wasn't Cam Neely but he wasn't Loui Eriksson or Alex Semin either. Sneaky dirty and was pretty good with his stick, also stood up for his teammates.

It sucks that he's being forced to carry a rookie and a kid adjusting to life on wing, but Krejci has got to figure out a way to elevate them. In any case I think come January his wingers will be Vatrano and Backes so I don't expect Krejci to slump for long. Let's be real, he has always had his slumps, but they never last.

Fwiw, I don't think any of them were soft (well, Kessel was soft but) I'm just trying to speak the same language as the poster, and blow the argument up.

If he considers Krejci-Spooner soft, then what must he think of Savard-Kessel? If Krejci and Spooner can't work well together because they're not physical enough, then how did Savard-Kessel do it?

I don't think the issue is how physical they are, and I don't think Spooner has actually played poorly at LW, I just think the line is proving that it's not a good makeup of complimentary skill-sets. They need a banger, a net front presence, and they're not getting it from Heinen. It doesn't help that Krejci is still rusty, but IMO, the main issue is the makeup of the line.

I think Spooner-Krejci-Backes could work in the short term, and I think Vatrano-Krejci-Backes could be even better.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
when everyones healthy id like vatrano with marshy and bergie
spooner-krejci-pasta
beleskey-backes-accari
nash-moore-hayes

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Krejci is not the type of center that is going to make his linemates better such as the likes of Savard and Oates. That being said, when he clicks with the right linemates, he can be one of the best forwards in the league.

Heinen is too busy trying to adjust to the pace of the NHL. Spooner at wing just doesn't work despite management and coaching's constant attempts to make it so. I think we'll see a different Krejci when Bergeron is back and his linemates improve.

We can argue all day about whether that's worth $7m or not... but that's another discussion.

Miro Satan says hello.

Michael Ryder had his best regular season as a Bruin with Krejci as his center. As did a rookie Blake Wheeler.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Offensively maybe, defensively he's been anything but great in the middle.

Claude might have to bite the bullet on this one if Spooner can't adjust to the wing.

And he needs a player to play with. He can't carry a line on his own (see March 2016, Belesky-Spooner-Hayes)

And he probably needs a face-off guy with him as he is still pitiful on face-offs.

How about.

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen
Belesky - Krejci - Backes
Moore - Spooner - Pastrnak
Schaller - Nash - Acciari

Hayes as the spare forward. Vatrano can take Schaller's place when he's ready.

Czarnik to Providence until he's completely recovered from his concussion. Even Claude said he hasn't been the same player since. A bit more Providence time won't hurt him. He's always available in case of injuries.

My $.02? I don't think Spooner has been a problem or had a problem adjusting to the wing. I think he's been very good at making breakout passes under pressure. He's also near the top of the team in terms of shots on goal. He drew a penalty last night in a 2on1 with Krejci.

I do agree that he wasn't up to par defensively last year as a center, and that he struggled at the dot. But I'm not ready to say that he can't improve in those areas. He seemed to have made it a goal of his this summer and was determined to do better there in pre-season. Then injuries happened and he didn't get his chance. I'm sure he will get an opportunity to play the middle at some point though. We'll see what he's learned when that happens. And if this team is better with Backes on Krejci's wing or centering the third line.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't know if "softness" is really the problem.

Now I will say Krejci probably needs at least one board-battler on his line to dig out pucks and get the puck on his stick.

But you have a center in Krejci whose not fully up-to-speed yet coming off surgery.

And another guy in Spooner being asked to switch to another position, an adjustment that appears to not be working so well.

It's too bad because I was really hoping for 37-46-42 as your 1-2-3 center combo. But Spooner's inability to adjust to the wing probably forces Backes to RW, and Spooner centering the 3rd line again.

Marchand - Bergeron - Backes
Beleskey - Krejci - Pastrnak
Hayes - Spooner - Heinen
Moore - Nash - Acciari

Is Spooner getting a bit of a raw deal here with his wingers? Yes, but, IMO the first two lines above are very strong. When Vatrano comes back he would got to Spooners line, giving him a legit shooter to feed.

Until then, I'd keep the first two lines as I have above and tweak the bottom two game to game.

If Hayes decides that he doesn't want to skate one night, bump up Schaller, Nash or Moore.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

Not sure how anyone who watched him play could call Loui soft. Sure, he didn't wade into scums and punch guys in the back of the head, but he consistently went to the boards and won battles and went to the front of the net. The Bruins have had plenty of "tough players" who were not willing to stand in there and take the abuse that Loui took.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad