Post-Game Talk: GAME #3 - BRUINS heading home with 4 out of 6 points with 4-1 win in Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Spooner and Krejci will not work together. Both soft as butter.

I'd say it's more of a clash of styles and anything related to grit. This mindset that some B's fans have that everyone has to be a knuckle dragger that's as rough as sandpaper is so out of date and out of touch, IMO. It's okay to have some pure skill guys. Everyone does. So the problem with their lack of chemistry is really due to Krejci playing a slowdown game, and Spooner having a game based on speed. They clash. Just like last year when Pasta was miscast on DK's wing. Their styles do not suit each other. That's on the coaches though, and not the players.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Most pressing Question is when will Jack Edwards get over that offsides call, February or March?

I hope, not until the NHL does away with reviews on offsides. One of the worst decision the NHL has ever made. It's like they sat around at the GM meetings and said, "Hey, scoring is down across the league, what are we going to do about it? I know, let's find an arbitrary and mostly indeterminable way to take good goals off the board!"

Just so stupid. Enough is enough, no amount of cameras is going to make enforcing an arbitrary infraction that might have allowed a team a 1/4 of a sec advantage entering the zone, that goes called/not-called all throughout the game with no consequence, except if someone happened to score on the possession, regardless if it had any bearing on the play.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I'd say it's more of a clash of styles and anything related to grit. This mindset that some B's fans have that everyone has to be a knuckle dragger that's as rough as sandpaper is so out of date and out of touch, IMO. It's okay to have some pure skill guys. Everyone does. So the problem with their lack of chemistry is really due to Krejci playing a slowdown game, and Spooner having a game based on speed. They clash. Just like last year when Pasta was miscast on DK's wing. Their styles do not suit each other. That's on the coaches though, and not the players.

In fairness, they usually trade those guys away - so fans must think something is wrong with it..

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I hope, not until the NHL does away with reviews on offsides. One of the worst decision the NHL has ever made. It's like they sat around at the GM meetings and said, "Hey, scoring is down across the league, what are we going to do about it? I know, let's find an arbitrary and mostly indeterminable way to take good goals off the board!"

Just so stupid. Enough is enough, no amount of cameras is going to make enforcing an arbitrary infraction that might have allowed a team a 1/4 of a sec advantage entering the zone, that goes called/not-called all throughout the game with no consequence, except if someone happened to score on the possession, regardless if it had any bearing on the play.

So when I watched the game last night, they mentioned they installed cameras on the blueline...how come we weren't able to see that feed?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I actually have always thought there should be some leeway on offsides calls...call the obvious infractions, but don't waste the game's time by blowing the whistle because there was a player who's back skate was less than half an inch over the line before the puck.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Not sure how anyone who watched him play could call Loui soft. Sure, he didn't wade into scums and punch guys in the back of the head, but he consistently went to the boards and won battles and went to the front of the net. The Bruins have had plenty of "tough players" who were not willing to stand in there and take the abuse that Loui took.

It's just a constant false narrative that people on here like portray because he didn't smash people in open ice or on the boards or fight. Dude took so many slashes and hooks and cross checks sitting in front of the net, night after night. Anything but soft. But I digress.

Bruins will benefit greatly from getting Bergeron back. The combination of Marchand and Pastrnak already looks fantastic with Backes, and will look even better with Bergeron. Backes moving to Krejci's line will do nothing but help Krejci and Spooner. Not to say that Heinen is bringing that line down, but he just needs some seasoning down in the AHL. Not completely ready yet, he seems very nervous and hesitant.

This team will definitely be top heavy, but when those top 2 lines work, and they will, they're gonna win quite a few games through sheer force. The top 2 lines will be heavy scoring, bottom 2 lines will be grindy. The way Jimmy Hayes is playing, it won't be for much longer when Vatrano does get back. They need a 3rd line center, unless they plan to just roll out Nash in the grindy matchups and Czarnik in the more open ice games. Beleskey seems fine, but as a whole that line won't put up many points. I definitely feel like you will see a big uptick in Czarnik's play when Vatrano returns. That line lacks a true shooter, and it's not a place where his skills will really shine. 4th line, whatever combo of Moore, Nash, Schaller, and Acciari has worked great. Very grindy, good possession guys, not great offensively, but as a whole are a net positive.

This team will definitely be top heavy on offense and will be prone to games like the Toronto game when teams can shut them down. Not much in the way of secondary scoring at the moment, but their top 6, when healthy, will be among the best in the league.

Defense is certainly a work in progress, but I like a lot of what I see from Miller and Carlo. Not afraid to make mistakes, always trying to advance the play up the ice. They are definitely making some mistakes, and that's fine, because we are also seeing very positive plays from them. What you don't want to see are mistakes followed by timidness. They both seem to have short memories. That was certainly a problem of some other younger players that have come through here, but doesn't seem to be the case with these guys early on. I like that.

Chara has been solid, but nowhere near the player he was. Krug has had quite a rough start so far, he's got to pick up his play, but I'm sure he will. McQuaid / Miller will definitely sub in and out for Liles and O'Gara, which is fine, just play the hot hands.

Rask with a great game last night. With the current D prone to making some mistakes, he needs to be like that early on to salvage some games. D will get better as the season goes on, granted that Miller and Carlo stay in the lineup, as they should. Khudobin looks meh at best, but it was only one game. We will see. Wonder if Subban gets a call-up at some point. I liked his game a lot in preseason, but who knows...

Also just want to say, in the last 18 months, Brad Marchand has been one of the 15 best players in hockey, maybe even top 10. He is EVERYWHERE on the ice. Whether at even strength, short-handed, on the PP, he is a hound on the puck. He causes so many turnovers, he is a nightmare for some defensive players, he is fearless with the puck, he has some incredible vision, he has an absolute laser for a shot, he is constantly in great position, and he makes players around him better. Simply phenomenal.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I actually have always thought there should be some leeway on offsides calls...call the obvious infractions, but don't waste the game's time by blowing the whistle because there was a player who's back skate was less than half an inch over the line before the puck.

IMO, these should be eliminated.....period! Yes, I get you wanting to get the call right but these shouldn't be reviewable...It's not any different then if a penalty is missed.

Slows the game down way too much.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Agree 100%.

Never liked Pasta with Krejci. Not liking Spooner there now. Like you said the style of game just clashes, not to mention all 3 want the puck on their stick to make plays and there is only one puck.

Krejci needs guys who are going to do whatever it takes to get him the puck and let him do his thing, puckhandle, pass, and create offense. Then do whatever it takes to get to a scoring area, he will find you.

Look at Pasta and Spooner, both guys want to score off the rush and play with speed. The grinding cycle is just not their game. Is it any coincidence that both had their most consistent offensive stretches as Bruins when they played together back in late 2014-15?

Last edited by a moderator:

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ

Worst part is they played with the puck for 13 seconds afterward before they scored. Fairly certain that by that time, all of the defenders had a fair chance to make a difference in the outcome of the play before the goal was scored.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Guessing it's been mentioned here already, but I didn't want to read all 10 pages to find it, but Tuukka had 2 assists last night.

Wonder when was the last time (if ever) a B's goaltender had 2 in one game?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
are people still calling David Krejci soft in the year 2016? Is he frustratingly inconsistent? Hell yeah. Is he soft? Hell no.

It sucks that he's being forced to carry a rookie and a kid adjusting to life on wing, but Krejci has got to figure out a way to elevate them. In any case I think come January his wingers will be Vatrano and Backes so I don't expect Krejci to slump for long. Let's be real, he has always had his slumps, but they never last.

Agreed and I'm a knuckle dragger.

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
Would love to see Backes on Krejci's wing when Bergy's back. Hoping Krejci can get it back together. Pasta and Marchy seem to have some good chemistry, which wasn't so apparent last season. Glad they're clicking.

Also liked the 59-28-55 line. Acciari and Moore keep growing on me and Schaller looks like a nice option for the 4LW.

Really wish 39-51-11 could work...

Liking Carlo and O'Gara a lot. Hopefully Colin can build some more confidence and hopefully be paired with someone other than Liles.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Maybe we should try spreading the wealth a little bit over the top 3 lines

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Beleskey-Krejci-Czarnik
Spooner-Backes-Pastrnak
Accairi-Moore-Nash

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Maybe we should try spreading the wealth a little bit over the top 3 lines

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Beleskey-Krejci-Czarnik
Spooner-Backes-Pastrnak
Accairi-Moore-Nash

I understand what you're trying to do, but I think it's better to have two stronger lines than three that might not work as well together. Of course, it's better to have four lines you can roll, that all click. Then, it would be better if I had the winning Powerball numbers too. :laugh:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Best line during pre season and it was unreal was Spoon Krej Backes. I see the bruins reuniting them together once Berg is back...so that would leave

Spoon - Krej - Backes
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Beleskey-Csar-Heinen/Hayes
Accairi-Moore-Nash

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Meh, what else is Julien supposed to do right now? Play Hayes with Krejci?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Best line during pre season and it was unreal was Spoon Krej Backes. I see the bruins uniting them together once Berg is back...so that would leave

Spoon - Krej - Backes
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Beleskey-Csar-Heinen/Hayes
Accairi-Moore-Nash

I actually liked Beleksey/Nash/Hayes, FWIW.

I'd like to see DeBrusk/Czarnik/Heinen go play heavy minutes in the AHL together and work there way into the lineup (along with Vatrano) later in the year.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Amen to this. This crap has gotten old very fast.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Meh, what else is Julien supposed to do right now? Play Hayes with Krejci?

Well considering how little Hayes has produced the last 20 games, anything is worth a try. If it doesn't help, it's no loss, Hayes isn't producing squat right now, despite an improved effort. What they've tried thus far sure hasn't worked.

Although a less-than-100% Krejci probably can't help Hayes much.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Best line during pre season and it was unreal was Spoon Krej Backes. I see the bruins reuniting them together once Berg is back...so that would leave

Quite simply Boston's best line through preseason and the first 3 games is whatever like Backes is on. Spooner plays best next to him, as does Krejci, as does Pasta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad