Post-Game Talk: GAME #3 - BRUINS heading home with 4 out of 6 points with 4-1 win in Winnipeg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I disagree with both of you.

Nothing is determined yet with Heinen. Far from being a finished product. Lots of potential.

But if it's too early for negativity on Heinen, then it's also too early for positivity on Carlo. Heinen has not looked as though he belongs in the NHL... yet. He was arguably the highest touted rookie on the roster in respect to the impact he could have this year. Thus far, I've seen little to nothing from him.

As I said earlier, Heinen has not stood out, but he has also not been making any glaring errors. If that's sounds like damning him with faint praise, it isn't meant to. He's a rookie and is playing against Top 6 competition on a line I don't think is a good combo.

Last night (and for awhile), I have watched 6 year pro Jimmy Hayes play against 3rd and 4th line competition and do nothing (same as Heinen?). I don't think Heinen belongs in the Top 6 right now, but I do think that if he gets moved down a line, he will give the team more than Hayes and should be in the lineup.

ps Not even the wunderkind, Kyle Connor, plays Top 6 :laugh:

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Even in preseason, Hayes hustle/effort level has been good. Nothing to complain about there so far.

But he's got to start producing at some point if he's going to be in the line-up. Doesn't even have to be a big producer, but right now it's a big run of zeroes for far to many games now. 19 game pointless streak going, that doesn't cut it for a 4th line enforcer, let alone Hayes. And this is with PP time.

How long will this pointless streak have to last before the Bruins pull the plug on Hayes and at least send him to the pressbox.

I have been one of Hayes' biggest critics because of his lack of effort but so far this year it has been improved, a shift off here and there but much better than last year.

He still should not be anywhere near the power play. Also he and Belesky should not both be playing with a skilled center. Belesky to me is still a good fit with Krecji, Hayes with a LW with some speed makes more sense to me.

Right now I would send Heinen down and give Debrusk a look with Czarnik and Hayes. Let some of the rookies play 4- games here and there and get a taste of NHL level play while still being essentially AHLers all year. If non of them can solidify a spot for themselves by December make a move for a solid third liner or see if Vatrano is ready. They can't have another Chris Bourque situation again on the third line.

Also goes without saying I would like Randell back up or some additional toughness on the 4th line.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
As I said earlier, Heinen has not stood out, but he has also not been making any glaring errors. If that's sounds like damning him with faint praise, it isn't meant to. He's a rookie and is playing against Top 6 competition on a line I don't think is a good combo.

Last night (and for awhile), I have watched 6 year pro Jimmy Hayes play against 3rd and 4th line competition and do nothing (same as Heinen?). I don't think Heinen belongs in the Top 6 right now, but I do think that if he gets moved down a line, he will give the team more than Hayes and should be in the lineup.

Heinen has not looked overwhelmed at all in a top 6 role. He's quietly been making smart plays and is so smooth out there. He had a couple great set ups and has a real strong possession game.

That line is a funny one though as its three slight playmakers.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I'm nowhere near a Hayes fan, but I thought he was pretty effective last night. Nothing on the score sheet, but I thought he played well defensively (did make one mistake that I remember noticing, but don't remember specifically right now). He threw a couple of hits and got in on the fore check.

Again, overall he's pretty useless most nights, I just don't think last night was one.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Can't really complain about much getting 4 outta 6 points. Need some secondary scoring obviously. Like the way the D is playing. Liles looked good, Miller looked good. ROG and Carlo fitting in very nicely. Moore, Accari and anyone makes for a very good 4th line. Rask played really well for 5 periods now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Belesky's numbers over that same stretch aren't much better.

I liked Hayes's hustle, and I thought Belesky had his strongest of the first 3 games.

I had a hunch when Schaller was a July 1st signing that the organization thought he had a legit chance to play in Boston this year. Solid 4th line guy, won't hurt you. Does the little things right. Not saying he'll be a line-up fixture but he can help. I'd toss him into the mix of about 15 forwards when everyone is healthy you can make an argument should be playing.

Have to be honest, never even heard of Schaller before, first time I`ve seen him play last night, super small sample size but played well

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Can't really complain about much getting 4 outta 6 points. Need some secondary scoring obviously. Like the way the D is playing. Liles looked good, Miller looked good. ROG and Carlo fitting in very nicely. Moore, Accari and anyone makes for a very good 4th line. Rask played really well for 5 periods now.

Amazing how much this team misses having Bergy, he returns and I think it allows Julien to shift players into roles/lines which are better suited for them

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Have to be honest, never even heard of Schaller before, first time I`ve seen him play last night, super small sample size but played well

Until I seen him signed early on July 1, I hadn't heard of him either.

Usually your veteran AHL filler guys end up signing a bit later in the summer. Sweeney and Co. targeted him. Seems like a smart move, albeit based on a very small sample.

Spoked-B

Nov 3, 2005
Southern NH
I don't think I've seen Chara this happy/excited to play with a D partner in a long long while. Carlo's everything Hamilton isn't/wasn't: he isn't risky offensively--very smart about when he pinches, he thrives on playing well defensively, and he's physical.

Last night I learned from HF that the guy that led the Bruins in scoring for two cup runs is "eurotrash". I also learned that it is better to stay out of the line-up until you're at 100% (Krejci/Krug) than working your way back from off-season surgery and being a step behind. Maybe the two of them should be held out of the lineup like Bergeron, a good ole Canadian boy, so we can field a top 2 center combo of Backes/Spooner.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
Not sure if it's just confirmation bias of me going into the game/season not expecting much from the Bruins, but I felt they didn't look very good last night despite the score. I felt they were out played for a majority of the game. Without Rask being solid, that could have gotten out of hand. A few points that I saw last night.

- This has been an issue for a few seasons on and off, but the breakouts from their own zone were terrible. So many times the guys would sling it up the boards without the wings being at the point and the WPG D would just keep it in. There were other times where the D or the centers would get the puck and make a blind pass into the forward's skates resulting in a turnover in the neutral zone.
- The D and team did do a good job of limiting dangerous chances once WPG had them hemmed into their zone. Reminded me of how they played in 2011 by collapsing and keeping shots to the outside.
- It might just have to do with a lot of young players on the team, but the Bruins seem to be chasing the puck a bit too much and not anticipating.
- I thought DoMo looked really good. Glad to see some vet presence working out.
- Tuukka looked locked in. They need a big season from him to stay competitive.
- It's been said a bunch, but Krejci needs to get up to speed. It's tough because they need him badly, but it's understandable since he's coming of surgery.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I hope McQuaid returns soon. But an overall key to Chara's success thus far is no power play time.

I think you are right. Hard to believe that a few less minutes could make such a difference but apparently it does. He's been a much better player the past two games. It is great to see.

I also think Z realizes he needs to be more "obvious" as captain since there are so many younger players on the team now. I think before he could rely on his fellow vets to do their jobs without a lot of input from him, either on or off the ice. Now the team is much younger and those kids will be looking to him for leadership.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure if it's just confirmation bias of me going into the game/season not expecting much from the Bruins, but I felt they didn't look very good last night despite the score. I felt they were out played for a majority of the game. Without Rask being solid, that could have gotten out of hand. A few points that I saw last night.

- This has been an issue for a few seasons on and off, but the breakouts from their own zone were terrible. So many times the guys would sling it up the boards without the wings being at the point and the WPG D would just keep it in. There were other times where the D or the centers would get the puck and make a blind pass into the forward's skates resulting in a turnover in the neutral zone.
- The D and team did do a good job of limiting dangerous chances once WPG had them hemmed into their zone. Reminded me of how they played in 2011 by collapsing and keeping shots to the outside.
- It might just have to do with a lot of young players on the team, but the Bruins seem to be chasing the puck a bit too much and not anticipating.
- I thought DoMo looked really good. Glad to see some vet presence working out.
- Tuukka looked locked in. They need a big season from him to stay competitive.
- It's been said a bunch, but Krejci needs to get up to speed. It's tough because they need him badly, but it's understandable since he's coming of surgery.

Excellent post.

When you're a die-hard fan (like most of us) winning the game makes everything better. But they didn't play well, Rask stole the game. Passing was again terrible, forwards rarely winning battles on the boards. 10 goals (plus 1 EN) in 3 games, 9 from the first line. 2nd & 3rd lines barely getting any chances.

That said, Bergeron's return will be a huge plus for both possession and production.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Rask with a steal.

Carlo impressive.

Chara not quite dead yet.

Spooner-Krejci-Heinen, terrible.

PP needs work, though I liked that 3 high so to feed the wide guy with some skating momentum instead of flat-footed on the half-wall.

:laugh: I love that Z had a great game. I hope he has many more this season.

I thought Colin Miller played well

Carlo was fun to watch.

Pasta and Marchy look great.

Moore was a very good player to get.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Carlo was fun to watch.

I love that you rarely have a bad thing to say about any of our guys. Its very refreshing.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Excellent post.

When you're a die-hard fan (like most of us) winning the game makes everything better. But they didn't play well, Rask stole the game. Passing was again terrible, forwards rarely winning battles on the boards. 10 goals (plus 1 EN) in 3 games, 9 from the first line. 2nd & 3rd lines barely getting any chances.

That said, Bergeron's return will be a huge plus for both possession and production.

first 2 periods Bruins were in the box a lot and couldn't get a rhythm going. 3rd period imo Bruins took care of business and limited the Jets. Not a great game by any means but good enough to win imo.

Also, Rask doing what he's being paid very well to do... Steal games when the team is average on any given night.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I love that you rarely have a bad thing to say about any of our guys. Its very refreshing.

Well...Now that Zac R is gone (he is gone ...right ???)

Also there are enough other posters ready to rip players apart who are not having a good game. I find you can watch ANY player and find something they are doing wrong.

They are human and may be injured or just having a bad game. We fans don't know all.

It is early in the season and I am looking for positives. I like some of the things I am seeing .

Last edited:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

I think it's a fair point and I would agree.

Obviously having Bergeron out is huge but it's also a pretty soft opening schedule for this team.

Still, this was the type of win I was hoping to see coming into this season because I think it's the type of win they're going to need if they plan on having a different outcome than last season. They were outplayed, absolutely. But Rask was able to be the difference maker, making the big, timely saves to get them out of stretches and periods they had no business getting out of unscathed until the offense can break though.

That's a situation that's going to come up a lot this season, IMO and it all hinges on whether or not Rask can reliably gives these performances to keep them in it. 5 out of 6 periods he's done that. Hope we see a lot of that over a long season.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd like them to keep Marchy and Bergy together on line 1 and keep Backes and Pasta together on line 2.

Not sure if Beleskey and Backes can play either wing but something like this would be interesting:

Marchand - Bergeron - Beleskey
Backes - Krejci - Pastrnak
Heinen - Spooner - Hayes
Moore - Nash - Acciari

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd like them to keep Marchy and Bergy together on line 1 and keep Backes and Pasta together on line 2.

Not sure if Beleskey and Backes can play either wing but something like this would be interesting:

Marchand - Bergeron - Beleskey
Backes - Krejci - Pastrnak
Heinen - Spooner - Hayes
Moore - Nash - Acciari

Don't think they have.

That 3rd line looks like a disaster.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
Most pressing Question is when will Jack Edwards get over that offsides call, February or March?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I was kind of critical of the 4th line, but i like the way it looks. Accairi is a little fire cracker and i love it.

Chara too looks pretty solid.

Hopefully they continue to prove me wrong as i pretty much had Chara written off before the season started.

That said, i think the ship might have sailed with Krejci. I'd like to see the Bruins shop him...

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I was kind of critical of the 4th line, but i like the way it looks. Accairi is a little fire cracker and i love it.

Hopefully they continue to prove me wrong as i pretty much had Chara written off before the season started.

That said, i think the ship might have sailed with Krejci. I'd like to see the Bruins shop him...

Big Z has looked every part the captain this year. From his reassertion of the physical part of his game to the fight with Martin in defense of Krug and the addition of a bit of an offensive touch.

I think this has had a huge positive spillover effect on morale and effort across the lineup.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine

Carlo was fun to watch.

Waiting for HOH to chime in with an "I told you so!"

C'mon Dupes - we know you're hiding out there somewhere! Take your chance while you have it!

:laugh:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

The best part about Acciari is how hard he hits you just know the guys on the other end don't enjoy getting hit that hard. We probably want to get someone to work with him on fighting because other teams are going to send a goon after him sooner or later.

That line has been great and Nash looked very good bumped up to the 3rd with Schaller being great on the 4th.

My favorite thing about the 4th line was how much they paid attention to dumping the puck into the corner precisely to give the forchecker over a 50-50 shot at getting the puck. The guy with the puck would hold it and let his linemates get momentum and chip it in softly where his guy could beat the defender to the puck and make a play. Obviously we got the first goal out of that but maybe 3-4 other times in the game they executed simple dump and chase very well and got a chance from it.

Acciari looks like a bowling ball out there I'm not even worried about offensive limititations he looks that strong and hes a 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad