Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't remember a 'pre camp physical' that will be more closely watched and result in more of a media feeding frenzy, than Demko's.

All I hope for is that we'll finally gain some clarity. Ever since Dhaliwal broke the news that Demko wouldn't be ready for training camp and the exhibition schedule, it seems that the speculation has been endless. And the Canucks front office has hardly clarified things--saying only that we'll 'have to wait for the training camp physical'.

But I suppose signing Dylan Ferguson to a PTO; and continuing the discussions with Kevin Lankinen, might give a sneak preview of what's to come.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
maybe theyre gonna put demko on ltir and reactivate whenever he is fully 100 percent.

watched this could demkos injury be similiar to his??

Last edited:

Forsbergaura21

Jul 20, 2024
I mean with Poolman going on LTIR and Joshua and Demko likely going on LTIR too, why can’t Canucks find $1.5 for Lankinen?

Does not make any sense. Even when Demko is back they could use Lankinen as his backup. I think Silovs needs more time in AHL anyway.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well that's, that. The situation with Demko is as clear as mud after his press conference. A 'rare' muscle injury that apparently can't be surgically repaired and doesn't respond to rest and five months of rehab? If that doesn't raise a lot of red flags, nothing will.

I guess Dylan Ferguson on a PTO can get them through training camp and the exhibition schedule. But clearly they're now in the market for a veteran goaltender. The price for Kevin Lankinen probably just went up.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
1000059938.jpg

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I mean with Poolman going on LTIR and Joshua and Demko likely going on LTIR too, why can’t Canucks find $1.5 for Lankinen?
Well they can now, but to date they were holding out hope of not having to go on LTIR. Now it’s all but assured.

They do have to think through the ramifications of bumping Šilovs (or possibly Lankinen) when Demko returns, though. It wouldn’t be unheard of to roll the dice with the inexperienced guys and see what happens before taking action.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
For what it's worth, ChatGPT o1 preview suggests "isolated popliteus muscle belly rupture" after weighing all the info. :laugh:

ChatGPT Quote:
Anatomy and Function of the Popliteus Muscle
  • Location: The popliteus muscle is situated at the back of the knee. It originates from the lateral femoral condyle and inserts into the posterior surface of the tibia.
  • Function: It plays a crucial role in knee stability by initiating knee flexion from a fully extended position and "unlocking" the knee. It also assists in the medial rotation of the tibia on the femur and stabilizes the knee during lateral movements.
Rarity in Sports
  • Hockey:
    Prevalence: No recorded instances of an isolated popliteus muscle belly rupture, making it unprecedented in the sport.
    Soccer:
    Prevalence: Approximately five documented cases globally, highlighting its extreme rarity even in high-impact, athletic environments.

Mechanism of Injury

• This movement involves rapid knee flexion and the engagement of stabilizing muscles. The popliteus muscle is activated to unlock and stabilize the knee during such dynamic movements. Sudden, forceful flexion can overstress the popliteus, especially if combined with lateral or rotational forces, leading to a rupture.

Treatment Approach

• Non-Surgical Management:
    • Rest and Immobilization: Using braces or supports to limit knee movement during healing.
    • Physical Therapy: Focused on restoring strength, flexibility, and stability. Emphasizes muscle strengthening to compensate for the injured muscle.
  • Why Non-Surgical?
    • Location and Complexity: The deep anatomical location of the popliteus muscle makes surgical access challenging.
    • Lack of Precedent: Given its extreme rarity, there are no established surgical protocols for repairing an isolated popliteus muscle belly rupture in elite athletes.

Recovery Timeline

• Approximately 5 Months: Aligns with Demko's recovery from April to September.
    • Initial Phase (1-2 Months): Focus on reducing inflammation and pain, followed by gentle mobilization.
    • Intermediate Phase (2-4 Months): Gradual reintroduction of mobility exercises and strengthening.
    • Advanced Phase (4-5 Months): Functional rehabilitation to restore full knee function and return to sport-specific activities.

Prognosis

• Functional Recovery: Potential for full recovery with diligent physical therapy. However, the popliteus muscle's specific role in knee stability means that any lingering weakness could impact performance.
  • Impact on Athletic Performance: For a goaltender, precise knee movements are essential. Residual instability or weakness could affect agility, reaction times, and overall goaltending mechanics.
  • Risk of Re-Injury: Compromised muscle integrity could predispose the knee to future injuries, especially given the dynamic nature of hockey.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He said they've found a few soccer players who've had a similar injury, I know playing goalie in the NHL and playing soccer are two very different things but it would be cool if any of the local media could dig around and find out which soccer players had the injury and how long they were out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With every day that goes by in training and the Canucks not signing another goalie, you get a little more optimistic that maybe they're convinced Demko will be OK for the opening of the season.

Allvin isn't the kind of GM who'll sit around just 'hoping for the best'. He'd have done something by now.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well all the reporting from Friedman and the like was that Demko was literally on his death bed crumbling to dust. Our own resident physician said his hip needed to be transplanted from some super beast such as a silver back gorilla.

And yet there he is on ice, practicing. Not 100%, but certainly not the doom and gloom that was prescribed.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well all the reporting from Friedman and the like was that Demko was literally on his death bed crumbling to dust. Our own resident physician said his hip needed to be transplanted from some super beast such as a silver back gorilla.

And yet there he is on ice, practicing. Not 100%, but certainly not the doom and gloom that was prescribed.
Same as last year after the incident.
So take this for what it's worth.

But apparently Demko's injury is the popliteus muscle in the back of the knee.

Which typically only soccer, rugby and skiers injure.
Popliteus is fairly common and well researched.

Anterior iliac crest injuries are extremely rare and onset symptoms can mimic cancer, very scary. This can be career ending, can be, not will be. But it doesn't bode well for an athlete especially a goalie that would make unplanned movements when reacting to the play.
This type of injury does not have continuous excruciating pain and won't necessarily have noticeable symptoms like limping. A little bit like a hip pointer.

It can be dangerous evidently. There have only been a handful of cases in football/soccer and a MRI is needed to discover the injury.

This type of injury would not preclude him being on the ice taking prepared movements, walking without a gait or extreme long term pain, more likely a quick bolt of pain with these bolts coming with particular quick unplanned manoeuvres

Pelvic avulsion fractures are uncommon injuries usually in younger people but if he had hip impingement surgery he could be susceptible, Demko has had both hips done.

Note at no time did Demko refer to this injury as his knee, not even when asked.

And he referred to another procedure unrelated to this injury.

He looked the same now as in April, on the ice practicing, 6 months ago.

There are a couple of other rare injuries online.

And then there are these;

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

The media is hilarious. While I'm not saying he is ready for game 1 he was doing almost every drill except the one where he hugs the post on one knee.
The only time I'll panic is if we sign Lankohnen but once we signed that pto fodder, I kind of figured he wasn't that far off. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see Allvin using Silovs and Pitera or Tolipilo, for more than a few games.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
For what it's worth, ChatGPT o1 preview suggests "isolated popliteus muscle belly rupture" after weighing all the info.
tenor.gif

Edit. Holy crap. It might actually be true.

All praise our lord and saviour Lord GPT!

Edit2. If this is the case I would not blame this on the Canucks medical staff at all.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I would not rule doom and gloom out at all.

His injury spiraling is extremely worrysome.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
could he change his style.? playing standup instead of the butterfly stance? less wear and tear on his knees doesnt have to go down as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad