GDT: GAME #3: BLACKHAWKS @ LEAFS | MON 9-OCT @ 7PM | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The problem with Leivo is that outside of his shot and the size that he is reluctant to use, he is really not that talented.
I'm sorry, but that's quite an awful read on Leivo. He's terrific along the boards, has great hands, good technique, can play a high tempo game, has good vision and great positioning.

I am pretty sure Lou would move Leivo if anyone came up with an offer above and beyond an equal replacement level player.
It was reported by multiple sources that Leafs had more than a few substantial offers for Leivo.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yes I’d prefer those matchups. I don’t like the idea of Bozak and JVR facing either of Chicago’s top two lines.

This isn’t going to be an easy one. We were able to outgun Winnipeg and NYR but we’re still exposed defensively in both games. Chicago is a better team at either end of the rink than those two.

No question about it and we need to be better in our own end

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
tired of the shootouts, hoping for a nice gritty 2-1 win tonight, with players finishing their hits and dumping the pucks in well. hyman will score one as will naz.

As much as I want our team to play tight D, as a fan I would much rather see 8-7 than 2-1, as long as we get the W.

Reactions: Cotton

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
I think this Leafs team may be the 5th team post 05 lockout to hit the 300 goal mark for a season. If we want to go deep in the playoffs though, our defensive coverage needs to improve BIG TIME.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I'm sorry, but that's quite an awful read on Leivo. He's terrific along the boards, has great hands, good technique, can play a high tempo game, has good vision and great positioning.

It was reported by multiple sources that Leafs had more than a few substantial offers for Leivo.
Leivo looked fantastic in the preseason, he was the best player on the ice for us more than once. Of course, those were only preseason games, but it seems foolish not to gauge how he makes the fourth line look in light of his play last season and his play in exhibition games. It makes no sense to play Matt Martin against Chicago when we have the option of running four scoring lines, and it's not like a Leivo, Moore/Fehr, Brown line is terrible defensively either.

Reactions: carko32

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Ideally yes.

That's the match-up that you want to get. The other 2 lines are good & this is the line that you can expose the most. IMO.
No ideally you don't want Bozak trying to shut down Kane lol.

Ideally you want Matthews line on Kanes/Toews, and Kadris on Toews/Kane. Give Bozaks the lesser QOC.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
I thought Leafs would see less backup goalies this year, but it appears that Hawks are saving their best for Montreal.

Does that reflect on the Leafs that they still believe that Montreal is the better team, or are they actually protecting their #1G for a game they believe they might lose and better get the 2 points against Montreal.

It could also be that they are trying to save their starting goalie for the game they have a better chance to win...

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Forsberg, when he learned he was starting against the Leafs:

tenor.gif

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Chicago plays 4 games this week, and play tomorrow. So why not start backup today, and then run with Crawford for the next 3 games. Them dressing backup does not mean a thing, other than the fact they play a lot this week, and a back to back games today/tomorrow.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I think this Leafs team may be the 5th team post 05 lockout to hit the 300 goal mark for a season. If we want to go deep in the playoffs though, our defensive coverage needs to improve BIG TIME.

I think as the season winds down the D will be able to tighten up a bit like it did last year going down the final stretch.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Chicago plays 4 games this week, and play tomorrow. So why not start backup today, and then run with Crawford for the next 3 games. Them dressing backup does not mean a thing, other than the fact they play a lot this week, and a back to back games today/tomorrow.
No it means our offence isn't as scary as Montreal's, didn't you know.... or something like that...

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I'm expecting a high scoring game. Either team could pot a ton of goals. Unfortunately, the Hawks are better defensively than the Leafs but the Leafs have enough scoring depth that they could outscore their defensive breakdowns.

A funny side note. A buddy at work said it would be ironic if both the two high scoring teams in the league played to a 0-0 draw and went to the shoot-out. I now have a friend with a loose tooth :D

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anton Forsberg played 1 NHL game all last year and posted a 4.10 GAA and .852 sv%.

He has only appeared in 10 NHL total over 3 years.. If we played Sparks we'd be playing a more experience NHL goalie.

Bring him on. Hope he doesn't pull a muscle fishing all those pucks out of his own net tonight.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Only reason Crawford isn't playing is because he's from the Montreal area and that's where they play tomorrow

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
With every other team in the Atlantic already dropping points (except Detroit but they don't matter), a win today would be all gravy

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I thought Leafs would see less backup goalies this year, but it appears that Hawks are saving their best for Montreal.

Does that reflect on the Leafs that they still believe that Montreal is the better team, or are they actually protecting their #1G for a game they believe they might lose and better get the 2 points against Montreal.

Then you realize that Crawford is from Montreal and is 7-0-2 with .951 SV% and 1.55 GAA, in his career vs them. I would assume that that is the reason

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Leivo looked fantastic in the preseason, he was the best player on the ice for us more than once. Of course, those were only preseason games, but it seems foolish not to gauge how he makes the fourth line look in light of his play last season and his play in exhibition games. It makes no sense to play Matt Martin against Chicago when we have the option of running four scoring lines, and it's not like a Leivo, Moore/Fehr, Brown line is terrible defensively either.
Well, I would love to be proved wrong but I have never been overly impressed with Leivo as a player. Other than his shot(and I should have added hands) he can play a physical game,if he has to, but I am always left wanting him to use his size more. If Komarov had the physical package of Leivo, he would be all-star material. I find it hard to believe that Leivo is this polished diamond that is in great demand throughout the league but Babcock just will not play him because of stubbornness. Perhaps Babs will get him to play the type of hockey he demands eventually or maybe not but with his size I am pretty sure Babcock would find a place for him if he was confident in him defensively. The season is young and many adjustments will be made throughout the coming season and Leivo hopefully will become a trusted regular, but for now,for me, there is just something missing at the NHL level.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Yes, you can never have too many talented players. The problem with Leivo is that outside of his shot and the size that he is reluctant to use, he is really not that talented. He is an adequate skater for his size but will never be confused with a good skater. He is not good defensively and misses too many assignments. He is JVR without the offensive skills and skating abilities but with the same commitment to defense. The fact that he was protected over Leipzig should not confuse anyone that he is anything above replacement level. leaf fans tend to obsess over 7th Dmen and 13th forward types. Sounds like back-up quarterback syndrome to me. I am pretty sure Lou would move Leivo if anyone came up with an offer above and beyond an equal replacement level player. I am sure that Babs is making the correct decision playing a proven veteran like Martin over playing Leivo. Babs is interested in winning hockey games rather than playing fan favourites.

I don't think you know who Josh Leivo is. He's been great in every game since last year. Something happened last summer that made Babcock mad at him. He's 10x the player Martin is.

Reactions: carko32
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad