GDT: GAME #3: BLACKHAWKS @ LEAFS | MON 9-OCT @ 7PM | TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah not digging that either. Won't let Rosen or the Borg sit, or Moore/Fehr, but it's no problem letting Leivo rot. Despite how Martin plays

I don't know what the plan is with Leivo.

We're keeping him around but don't play him so his value isn't much at all if we trade him. What's the point? Leivo is an NHL player more so than Martin.

People are going to say that we just scored 15 goals, we don't need Leivo in the lineup. To that I say, Martin hasn't done anything in the 2 games he's played so the # of goals we have scored is irrelevant.

You can never have too many talented players.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It’s impressed with the way the hawks have remained competitive year after year having to jettison players due to cap crunch.

The current lineup doesn’t look that impressive at all on paper. But they win. It shows the importance of locking up your core and then not falling in love with mid tier players. Leafs should follow this model.

Of course they have to slow down eventually. I wonder if this will be the year. Despite the hot start.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Getting Forsberg instead of Crawford is an insult.

I thought Leafs would see less backup goalies this year, but it appears that Hawks are saving their best for Montreal.

Does that reflect on the Leafs that they still believe that Montreal is the better team, or are they actually protecting their #1G for a game they believe they might lose and better get the 2 points against Montreal.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Gonna be a tough game, Hawks have been absolutely lights out to start he season. Want the win, and think we have a solid chance, but won't be bummed with a loss as long as we keep it competitive.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I'll take it. No problem with me.

Crawford is also French Canadian and Q likely wants to give him the start tomorrow night in his hometown.

No fair enough, I'd rather have Forsberg there too. MTL just can't score though and I'd think that 15 goals through 2 games would scare the hawks more than it does.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I thought Leafs would see less backup goalies this year, but it appears that Hawks are saving their best for Montreal.

Does that reflect on the Leafs that they still believe that Montreal is the better team, or are they actually protecting their #1G for a game they believe they might lose and better get the 2 points against Montreal.

Forsberg starts both games. Crawford plays the 2nd and 3rd periods against the Leafs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I am pretty sure nobody thinks that Montreal is still the better team at this point. Carey Price can't score goals.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Maybe they think this will be a game of trading chances and they like the odds, and against Montreal it will be tighter and goals harder to come by.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It’s impressed with the way the hawks have remained competitive year after year having to jettison players due to cap crunch.

The current lineup doesn’t look that impressive at all on paper. But they win. It shows the importance of locking up your core and then not falling in love with mid tier players. Leafs should follow this model.

Of course they have to slow down eventually. I wonder if this will be the year. Despite the hot start.

The key is that you recycle your mid-tier players (like JVR, Bozak, Komarov ) when approach 30 and get expensive for picks/prospects to continue to supplement the core with quality young guys on entry level/1st contracts. It is when you let those guys go for free or give them big money and term you get yourself into trouble.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The key is that you recycle your mid-tier players (like JVR, Bozak, Komarov ) when approach 30 and get expensive for picks/prospects to continue to supplement the core with quality young guys on entry level/1st contracts. It is when you let those guys go for free or give them big money and term you get yourself into trouble.

Agreed. I personally think we should try to trade jvr bozak and Leo for what we can get. (Maybe not all 3). But i understand that we kind of came pre-loaded so if we want a cup run we won’t have to get rentals at forward.

We have such a log jam, have to either recycle prospects (leivo etc) for future picks
(2020) to stockpile assets instead of lose
Them for nothing. Or get rid of jvr etc and let kids take their place.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Agreed. I personally think we should try to trade jvr bozak and Leo for what we can get. (Maybe not all 3). But i understand that we kind of came pre-loaded so if we want a cup run we won’t have to get rentals at forward.

We have such a log jam, have to either recycle prospects (leivo etc) for future picks
(2020) to stockpile assets instead of lose
Them for nothing. Or get rid of jvr etc and let kids take their place.

Some might think it seems silly to trade them (JVR, Bozak, Komarov) for futures when you are trying to contend, but if you are doing things right you should be to reload with young talent (like Kapanen, Leivo, Grunstrom, Johnsson, etc) without missing much of a beat. Then give Hunter some more bullets with the return for those guys and rinse, repeat.

It is all about sustainability and expecting to win every year, and not handcuffing yourself going all in any one year. The parity in the league doesn't allow for sure things in any one given year.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I don't understand why Leivo can't get a look in this game with Martin on the bench. There's literally nobody on Chicago that is even remotely threatening.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe they think this will be a game of trading chances and they like the odds, and against Montreal it will be tighter and goals harder to come by.

Agreed with Price and Weber the Hawks might think its going to be an old fashion original 6 game 2-1 game and against the Leafs its going to be a last goal wins.

Hawks might not care if Forsberg gives up 5, as long as they get 6 themselves.

RealRockNRolla

Oct 5, 2017
While I understand that people want Leivo inserted into the bottom 6, I always go with the mantra, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Due to the depth we have, we can't play everyone who's a fan favourite, as unfortunate as that is. It's going to be interesting seeing how Chicago's top two lines cope with ours, genuinely cannot predict how this one will go, but think Leafs will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad