Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
In all of our losses in this losing stretch, we scored a single goal.

Getting Vezina goaltending from Luongo would've gotten us maybe an extra win or two. would still look like an ugly record. he's not a top 10 goalie anymore, but don't act like the team would be doing much better if Lu was rocking a .930+.

No, but I'd be far less concerned about the future, which is what's important. This team is built around Luongo. If he's not a top goalie anymore then we are in trouble.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He's not playing awful, but he doesn't look like a guy that you would pay $4.5 mil. He really needs to boost his play, he's just not scoring.
Again I'm not disagreeing with you that his production is bad. All I'm saying is Burrows is playing well, he has the best CORSI on the team, dominating possession, and being a key player on the best PK in the league. Far from being "awful" like you suggested.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
Luongo is the least of the teams' worries, it's not like he's getting blown out on the regular. The team needs to score more than one ****ing goal if they expect to win.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Gillis is a lame duck in my opinion. Our top 6 consists of the Sedins, Kesler, Santorelli, Higgins, Burrows.

Higgins and Santorelli are clearly not top 6 forwards. This is a team with cup aspirations, you can't just sit back when you don't have the roster to compete. Make a ****ing move!

Burrows isn't a top 6er, he's a great 3rd liner who plays with the twins, this team is filled with 3rd lines for our scoring outside Sedins and Kesler, who are our only true top 6 players and this the clear reason to our secondary scoring.

arsmaster*

Goaltending was the difference tonight.

Once again our goalie is provided with a razor thin margin of error.

For as "soft" as the winner was, it was another 100 foot two on one against. Pretty good shot. One you'd hope Lu would get sure.

My gripe is that some people are banging a drum about goaltending not being good enough when we've scored 1 goal or less almost as many teams as we've scored two.

Not a very good recipe for winning. We played hard, unfortunately it looks like we're just not that good.

John Bender*

That post was purely for the boxscore fans.

I said the second goal was a softy. I don't think anyone will argue against it.

So you'll admit that were it not for Lu's weak play the team might have had a chance to win or at least get a point? Thanks. Cool dat.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Because it's very difficult to acquire scoring help, plain and simple. A player has to be available, and you have to have the assets ready to acquire him. I don't think either is often the case.

Yeah, I mentioned it in a later post.

I'm thinking out loud here :laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Luongo let in 1 bad goal tonight, but made several great saves, especially in the 1st period. He posted a 0.931 SVP tonight for all the box score stat watchers. Luongo wasn't the reason we lost. The reason we lost was because, once again, we couldn't score more than one damn goal.

To blame goaltending is like saying the reason the car crashed was not due to faulty breaks, it was because the drivers seat wasn't made out of leather.

Obviously our offense sucks right now.

But in a low-scoring, hard-fought game where the other goalie is standing on his head, you can't afford to let in 'one bad goal'.

For the record, I've been reasonably supportive of Luongo this year. He's battled hard and decent, despite his declining physical skills.

But in this game, he wasn't good enough.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Good would be a stretch. He was average, as usual, and the opposing goalie was better, as usual.

If every single game the other goalie is "better", even goalies who have worse numbers than Luongo on the season, then maybe it's our lethargic offense that only makes them look better?

Crawford played great in the 3rd, but before then? He has a .908 sv% and 2.50 GAA on the year, yet the Blackhawks are still doing much, much better with him than we are with .914 sv% and 2.30 GAA Luongo.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Burrows isn't a top 6er, he's a great 3rd liner who plays with the twins, this team is filled with 3rd lines for our scoring outside Sedins and Kesler, who are our only true top 6 players and this the clear reason to our secondary scoring.

Burrows isn't a first liner. He is a definite top 6'er.

He has good speed/hands, and a decent shot. What else do you want?

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Crawford won it for the Hawks, why can't Lu win us anything?

At some point the excuses for Lu and his giant 5-hole have to stop.

Because Lu can't score? Lu has not lost in regulation a game this season where his offense has given him more than 1 goal of offensive support.

At some point the people turning a blind eye to the Canucks inept offense need to face the light and acknowledge this.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Thought Edler had one of his better games of late, few nice hits and his transition game was better than usual.

Garrison on the other hand.........................

Is it just me or does he seem much slower than last season? I heard he put on some weight, but feel he's having troubles skating.

Did Kassian play after the first period? He really has to work on his reads and passes in his own end. Throwing the puck off his stick like its a live grenade.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
How are posters not acknowledging that Luongo gave up one soft goal and one questionable goal. Also boggles the mind that people think our miscues on offense implies that Luongo is doing his job as well as he should.

member 202355

Again I'm not disagreeing with you that his production is bad. All I'm saying is Burrows is playing well, he has the best CORSI on the team, dominating possession, and being a key player on the best PK in the league. Far from being "awful" like you suggested.

I didn't say he was "awful", just lacking offensive production. Yes, he does have good corsi stats and is an integral part of the PK, but he's barely noticable on the ice sometimes.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Obviously our offense sucks right now.

But in a low-scoring, hard-fought game where the other goalie is standing on his head, you can't afford to let in 'one bad goal'.

For the record, I've been reasonably supportive of Luongo this year. He's battled hard and decent, despite his declining physical skills.

But in this game, he wasn't good enough.

For the record, you have not been supportive of Luongo at all this year. I've seen you put blame on him for games where our offense has managed just 1 goal.

I honestly would have a hard time keeping a straight face in blaming a goalie for a loss when the offense scores 1 goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad