Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

arsmaster*

Luongo gave up 1 soft goal, and 1 goal where you really can't blame him. That's 2 goals in a game. How is he not doing his job? :laugh: Oh man.

I wouldn't even call it soft. One you'd hope he'd have sure. Tough place to be in with a 2 on 1 from 100 feet. Too bad he didn't get it. Too bad we didn't score more.

Exciting game though. Entertaining. Even our goal looked lucky.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
Logical argument taking place here:

"This team can't get a good scoring chance worth ****, and miss every opportunity"

"Boy that [opposing goalie's name] sure outplayed Luongo. That always happens!"

Uhhhh, helllooooo?

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's like we have the exact same discussion after every game.

I give up. Those that can't figure it out that lack of offense and lack of elite goaltending are separate issues that are allowed to co-exist pretty much never will, or are pretending not to understand in order to stir the pot. I'm done.

This is promising, because I don't see how a 0.931 SVP isn't considered elite goaltending.

#Isn'tItOnlyAboutTheStats?

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Luongo gave up 1 soft goal, and 1 goal where you really can't blame him. That's 2 goals in a game. How is he not doing his job? :laugh: Oh man.

Lol Crawford's been screened all game with shots in traffic with deflections but still managed to make all his saves. Crawford outplayed Luongo and in a deadlock game like this, you can't give up either goals.

Again don't let me get in the way of your ******** though.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Something that doesn't get mentioned enough. Quite a big difference speed wise even from 2 years ago.

Anyways Botchford had pointed out that no team that was 6 points out of a playoff spot at this time of the year has ever made the playoffs. Right now we're 4 points out but if LA wins tonight we're 6 points back and they still have a game in hand. 4 points back of PHX but they have two games in hand. Just a little over a quarter of the season gone and may seem premature but history wise its looking pretty dreary.

It's true, though. The future is now. If the Canucks don't go on a ten game winning streak, they are likely not getting in! I don't think anything is going to happen though. They are letting this season go by.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It's like we have the exact same discussion after every game.

I give up. Those that can't figure it out that lack of offense and lack of elite goaltending are separate issues that are allowed to co-exist pretty much never will, or are pretending not to understand in order to stir the pot. I'm done.

Lots of teams do it without "elite" tending.

As Torts just said you don't play mistake free hockey. Unfortunately our quote un-quote top guns are not getting it done meaning that we not require and aging past his prime tender to be mistake free.

John Bender*

This is promising, because I don't see how a 0.931 SVP isn't considered elite goaltending.

#Isn'tItOnlyAboutTheStats?

Lu has a 931 save percentage this year? What was Crawfords save percentage tonight? What about Reimer? Elite goaltenders, Lu is not that.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
It should have been evident before, but tonight clearly showed the BIG GAP between an elite dman like Keith and any dman on the canucks.

Edler is bringing down Garrison. Gives Garrison no option to move the puck out.
That pairing continues to struggle.

Hamhuis/Tanev kept Toews relatively quiet.

Burrows was arguably our best forward this game. Him/Santo played well.

Sedins same old, too fancy, too little finish, but overall they weren't a problem.

Kesler was On/Off, took another heavy hit from Seabrook, will his body hold up?

Luongo was excellent early. 1st goal against was a tip right in front of net. Don't see how you can blame him.

2nd goal against off Kruger, should have been stopped. No question. Still 1 stinky goal shouldn't kill a team. Luongo was not the problem.

----------------------------

I thought Chicago didn't play well. They were on the perimeter a lot as well. No Bickell, No Handzus and they missed a lot of size.

Versteeg looked gassed a lot. Wait till he gets his stamina and timing, that's another weapon for the hawks.

Crawford was very good, but a lot of our chances weren't of very high quality.

Canucks clearly need another wave of offense. Push Santo/Higgy to the 3rd line, and trade for better forwards to form a 2nd line.

Defense is overrated. I think I've mentioned enough who I think is the problem and is the trade chip.

Don't ever trade Tanev.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
God the chicken littles on this board. I have to remember that a bunch of you only became fans/matured as fans watching one of the best teams in NHL history (2011) and are disappointed by everything else. Sigh.

This game was a really good effort. Remember, we were playing arguably the best team in the NHL, and we outplayed them for most of the game. We dictated the pace of the game for about 65% of the time.

And trade Burrows? Burrows looks fantastic. He's rusty, and he's slumping. He'll score one, and then a bunch. And then all of the fans here will be cheering his name.

Anyhow:

Forwards
It's time to put Burrows back with the Sedins consistently. We quickly forget that the Sedins' best seasons have come with Burr on the wing, and that's not purely an accident. In the time in the third that Burrows was on that line, they looked more dangerous. He plays a bit like a third Sedin. That pass to Daniel in the last minute should have been a goal.

Kesler is either not fully healthy yet, or he'll never be the same again. He just doesn't have that speed at all. And it's cost him his swagger a bit. He's still a useful player, and I really hope it comes back for him. But he doesn't have that "I dare you to take the puck off of me" attitude right now.

Henrik is definitely hurt. I can't recall the game (can someone else?) but roughly 10 games ago Henrik got crosschecked and stayed down for just a second with a grimace on his face (he never really shows his pain). He hasn't looked the same since. The thing that really stands out are his hands/passing. He is bar-none the best pure passer in the league, and he isn't right now. He doesn't trust his body. He never NEVER has his passes easily intercepted or passes it into the body of opponents. I have seen more of that in the last 10 games than I did in the previous 15 (or the previous 4 years, for that matter). I think it's his back, and I hope it gets better.

Daniel still isn't the same player post-Keith injury. We need him to get it back, I hope he can.

Santorelli, Higgins, Kes/Burr. They're not finishing, but man a line that can control possession like that is a great thing to have.

Kassian. I like Kass and I have hope for him. He seems like he's probably a bright man. But he can't be broken of his habit of just airmailing stupid passes. If he's just a stupid guy, then he's not gonna work out. He's good for 3 or 4 terminally atrocious giveaways per game. He's the type of player who will cost you the season in the playoffs (if he doesn't figure it out).

Hansen is a fantastic forechecker. He's not back on his game yet, but he's the kind of guy who is a contributor on the worst day of his life.

Sestito. For what he is, he's been better (on average) over the last few games. Welsh is, as the thread says, possibly more than just a throw in. He looks okay.

You keep wanting a little more from Weise. Not that he isn't trying hard enough, he just shows a presence of mind/passing ability that makes you feel like he can be a really elite 4th liner.

Richardson had a decent game.

Defense

Bieksa/Stanton

Not their best game. Stanton's pinch on the second goal was bad. But he's found money. I can't believe how mistake-free he has been for the most part. This may have been his worst play of the year, and it wasn't that bad. Bieksa looked decent. Driving the play well.

Edler/Garrison

Edler is starting to show positive signs. I can't tell if his confidence has just been really rattled over the last couple of years, or if it's the back injury. I'm scared that it's the back. But he's starting to look a little bit better. He's hit or miss lately, which is better than him just being miss. He's been randomly icing it a lot lately. This makes me think that he's overthinking out there. This game, he made some mistakes, but he made some great plays too.

Garrison. Man does he look bad these days. I don't know if it's Edler's unpredictability. But Bieksa looked horrible with Edler last year, and Garrison doesn't look so good now either. The weird thing is, he's supposed to be a really safe and aware player, but he looks like he's not very smart out there lately. I certainly hope he gets it back.

Tanev/Hamhuis

We cannot trade Tanev. He is one of the last players I would trade. We still don't know what he can be. He's not going to get 40 points, but I think that defensively he can be like Duncan Keith. Did you see the way he stayed with Patrick Sharp a couple of times there? He can just flat out shut guys down. And he's still young/not developed yet.

Hamhuis. He's not the same player that he was for his first couple of years here. He's looking better than he did earlier in the year. And I still love the guy, he's fantastic. But he was almost perfect for a couple of years. This year, he doesn't look quite the same. Especially with the puck. He doesn't have the same presence of mind with the puck.

Luongo. Mentally kind of weak. It's just always the same thing. When he makes the first few saves, he looks like he feels invincible. After the first goal (whenever that comes) he is fragile. When Kruger came in, I knew he would score.

The first goal was absolutely unstoppable. No goalie stops that. The second one, he needs to have. He just needs to have it. He was the second best goalie out there again today. He's no longer elite. Again, he's battling a lot better than he has in years. But he's just not the player that he was 6 years ago.

Overall, it's too bad that we've been on such a losing jag. We deserved to win this game and there's a lot to feel good about. But with how things have been going, we need the points. Especially going into the 3rd with a lead. We needed the points.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Other posters aside.

The problem isnt that Lu got outplayed tonight the problem is that night after night this team is reliant on Lu being 2007 Lu.

I aint the biggest Lu but its been all year that posters have been pointing to him and his mistakes for losing games. Well those are going to be significant if he isnt getting the support.

Bigger issues include a guy like Jason Garrison who was brought in to specifically add firepower from the backend going 20+ games with out a goal and 13 or so without even a point.

2007 Lu put up a 2.28GAA .921SVP. November 2013 Lu has put up a 2.07GAA .921SVP. In this month alone he's arguably been better than 2007 Lu, yet the team can't win because our offense sucks. It's quite a simple issue, yet people for some reason would rather blame the goalie when our offense scores 1 goal in 6 of 7 games.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
It should have been evident before, but tonight clearly showed the BIG GAP between an elite dman like Keith and any dman on the canucks.

Edler is bringing down Garrison. Gives Garrison no option to move the puck out.
That pairing continues to struggle.

Hamhuis/Tanev kept Toews relatively quiet.

Burrows was arguably our best forward this game. Him/Santo played well.

Sedins same old, too fancy, too little finish, but overall they weren't a problem.

Kesler was On/Off, took another heavy hit from Seabrook, will his body hold up?

Luongo was excellent early. 1st goal against was a tip right in front of net. Don't see how you can blame him.

2nd goal against off Kruger, should have been stopped. No question. Still 1 stinky goal shouldn't kill a team. Luongo was not the problem.

----------------------------

I thought Chicago didn't play well. They were on the perimeter a lot as well. No Bickell, No Handzus and they missed a lot of size.

Versteeg looked gassed a lot. Wait till he gets his stamina and timing, that's another weapon for the hawks.

Crawford was very good, but a lot of our chances weren't of very high quality.

Canucks clearly need another wave of offense. Push Santo/Higgy to the 3rd line, and trade for better forwards to form a 2nd line.

Defense is overrated. I think I've mentioned enough who I think is the problem and is the trade chip.

Don't ever trade Tanev.

Totally agree about Keith and our defense. And Tanev.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Lots of teams do it without "elite" tending.

As Torts just said you don't play mistake free hockey. Unfortunately our quote un-quote top guns are not getting it done meaning that we not require and aging past his prime tender to be mistake free.

Well no, but we live in a salary capped NHL. A lot of our resources are tied up in goaltending, which is why we try to win these tight, low-scoring games. It's how our roster is designed, around elite goaltending and timely goals. We're not like Chicago, who is only giving Crawford 2.5M and so they can have Kane, Sharp, Toews, Hossa, Keith, etc.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So frustrating.

Team can't buy a goal to save their lives.

When we really need Lu to close the door, boom. Soft, weak goal. People can ***** and complain about Gillis or the forwards or whatever, but Lu's 5 hole was the difference. Yes, we need to put the puck in the bloody net, but we also need Lu to KEEP THE ****ING PUCK OUT OF OURS. Lame goal kills the team, can't come back. Heard that over and over and over and over and over and I'm getting so sick of it it's just not funny.

That being said of course, the team is pathetic off the rush. I don't care how many shots we get, the vast majority are from nice, safe, easy lobs. And on the few times they manage to get inside, they whiff on wide-open nets, shoot directly at the goalie, etc etc etc.

Winners find a way to win, it's that simple. If the other team scores 4, the winner scores 5. The guys up front are so far off that standard it's laughable. If the forwards only score one, the winning goalie lets in zero. Sometimes, Lu has to be that goalie, and I have to wonder at this point if he's still got that winner in him. Because I haven't seen that guy in a while.

Soft, mentally weak team that buckles under pressure and can't win when they have to.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
God the chicken littles on this board. I have to remember that a bunch of you only became fans/matured as fans watching one of the best teams in NHL history (2011) and are disappointed by everything else. Sigh.

This game was a really good effort. Remember, we were playing arguably the best team in the NHL, and we outplayed them for most of the game. We dictated the pace of the game for about 65% of the time.

And trade Burrows? Burrows looks fantastic. He's rusty, and he's slumping. He'll score one, and then a bunch. And then all of the fans here will be cheering his name.

Anyhow:

Forwards
It's time to put Burrows back with the Sedins consistently. We quickly forget that the Sedins' best seasons have come with Burr on the wing, and that's not purely an accident. In the time in the third that Burrows was on that line, they looked more dangerous. He plays a bit like a third Sedin. That pass to Daniel in the last minute should have been a goal.

Kesler is either not fully healthy yet, or he'll never be the same again. He just doesn't have that speed at all. And it's cost him his swagger a bit. He's still a useful player, and I really hope it comes back for him. But he doesn't have that "I dare you to take the puck off of me" attitude right now.

Henrik is definitely hurt. I can't recall the game (can someone else?) but roughly 10 games ago Henrik got crosschecked and stayed down for just a second with a grimace on his face (he never really shows his pain). He hasn't looked the same since. The thing that really stands out are his hands/passing. He is bar-none the best pure passer in the league, and he isn't right now. He doesn't trust his body. He never NEVER has his passes easily intercepted or passes it into the body of opponents. I have seen more of that in the last 10 games than I did in the previous 15 (or the previous 4 years, for that matter). I think it's his back, and I hope it gets better.

Daniel still isn't the same player post-Keith injury. We need him to get it back, I hope he can.

Santorelli, Higgins, Kes/Burr. They're not finishing, but man a line that can control possession like that is a great thing to have.

Kassian. I like Kass and I have hope for him. He seems like he's probably a bright man. But he can't be broken of his habit of just airmailing stupid passes. If he's just a stupid guy, then he's not gonna work out. He's good for 3 or 4 terminally atrocious giveaways per game. He's the type of player who will cost you the season in the playoffs (if he doesn't figure it out).

Hansen is a fantastic forechecker. He's not back on his game yet, but he's the kind of guy who is a contributor on the worst day of his life.

Sestito. For what he is, he's been better (on average) over the last few games. Welsh is, as the thread says, possibly more than just a throw in. He looks okay.

You keep wanting a little more from Weise. Not that he isn't trying hard enough, he just shows a presence of mind/passing ability that makes you feel like he can be a really elite 4th liner.

Richardson had a decent game.

Defense

Bieksa/Stanton

Not their best game. Stanton's pinch on the second goal was bad. But he's found money. I can't believe how mistake-free he has been for the most part. This may have been his worst play of the year, and it wasn't that bad. Bieksa looked decent. Driving the play well.

Edler/Garrison

Edler is starting to show positive signs. I can't tell if his confidence has just been really rattled over the last couple of years, or if it's the back injury. I'm scared that it's the back. But he's starting to look a little bit better. He's hit or miss lately, which is better than him just being miss. He's been randomly icing it a lot lately. This makes me think that he's overthinking out there. This game, he made some mistakes, but he made some great plays too.

Garrison. Man does he look bad these days. I don't know if it's Edler's unpredictability. But Bieksa looked horrible with Edler last year, and Garrison doesn't look so good now either. The weird thing is, he's supposed to be a really safe and aware player, but he looks like he's not very smart out there lately. I certainly hope he gets it back.

Tanev/Hamhuis

We cannot trade Tanev. He is one of the last players I would trade. We still don't know what he can be. He's not going to get 40 points, but I think that defensively he can be like Duncan Keith. Did you see the way he stayed with Patrick Sharp a couple of times there? He can just flat out shut guys down. And he's still young/not developed yet.

Hamhuis. He's not the same player that he was for his first couple of years here. He's looking better than he did earlier in the year. And I still love the guy, he's fantastic. But he was almost perfect for a couple of years. This year, he doesn't look quite the same. Especially with the puck. He doesn't have the same presence of mind with the puck.

Luongo. Mentally kind of weak. It's just always the same thing. When he makes the first few saves, he looks like he feels invincible. After the first goal (whenever that comes) he is fragile. When Kruger came in, I knew he would score.

The first goal was absolutely unstoppable. No goalie stops that. The second one, he needs to have. He just needs to have it. He was the second best goalie out there again today. He's no longer elite. Again, he's battling a lot better than he has in years. But he's just not the player that he was 6 years ago.

Overall, it's too bad that we've been on such a losing jag. We deserved to win this game and there's a lot to feel good about. But with how things have been going, we need the points. Especially going into the 3rd with a lead. We needed the points.

Dont make excuses for Garrison.

John Bender*

2007 Lu put up a 2.28GAA .921SVP. November 2013 Lu has put up a 2.07GAA .921SVP. In this month alone he's arguably been better than 2007 Lu, yet the team can't win because our offense sucks. It's quite a simple issue, yet people for some reason would rather blame the goalie when our offense scores 1 goal in 6 of 7 games.

LOL. Lu's stats were the same this November as 2007 November, so he must be awesome again? Huh? Most illogical argument I have ever read.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
How many excuses for Luongo? 9 seconds. Got outplayed again. This has been going on for mutliple games, not just this one. Right now, FLA game seems the outlier.

With the way this team plays, focusing on possession, playing along the wall and with a heavy forecheck, they will need their goalie to be really good. He had to be the linchpin, a la Lundqvist in NYR.

This team is like LA. They reduce scoring chances against, increase possession overall, but do not take risks in the neutral zone. As a result, the game is played in a stingier fashion. Something Luongo has not shown to do well within.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

This is laughable. Luongo is mentally weak and fragile and no longer elite, yet when Henrik plays bad it's "oh he must be injured" and with Daniel it's convenient to forget that he was playing poorly even before the Keith injury "maybe he knew he would be injured several games before it happened so his play went downhill?"

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
wtf is everyone panicking? We Lost a 1 goal game where we easily were the better team ... 9 times out of 10 we win this game. And oh ya its only the Stanley Cup Champs

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011

Different times. A .921 in 2007 was elite, a .921 in 2013 is merely above average.

There were more power plays back then. If you compare even-strength save percentages, Luongo hit .928 in 2006-07. He's a .914 so far this year (that's October and November).

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So frustrating.

Team can't buy a goal to save their lives.

When we really need Lu to close the door, boom. Soft, weak goal. People can ***** and complain about Gillis or the forwards or whatever, but Lu's 5 hole was the difference. Yes, we need to put the puck in the bloody net, but we also need Lu to KEEP THE ****ING PUCK OUT OF OURS. Lame goal kills the team, can't come back. Heard that over and over and over and over and over and I'm getting so sick of it it's just not funny.

That being said of course, the team is pathetic off the rush. I don't care how many shots we get, the vast majority are from nice, safe, easy lobs. And on the few times they manage to get inside, they whiff on wide-open nets, shoot directly at the goalie, etc etc etc.

Winners find a way to win, it's that simple. If the other team scores 4, the winner scores 5. The guys up front are so far off that standard it's laughable. If the forwards only score one, the winning goalie lets in zero. Sometimes, Lu has to be that goalie, and I have to wonder at this point if he's still got that winner in him. Because I haven't seen that guy in a while.

Soft, mentally weak team that buckles under pressure and can't win when they have to.

Lu did a pretty good job of keeping the puck out of our net with several great saves. 2 goals against, in a game against the best offensive team in the league isn't a bad game. Our offense just **** the bed.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Well no, but we live in a salary capped NHL. A lot of our resources are tied up in goaltending, which is why we try to win these tight, low-scoring games. It's how our roster is designed, around elite goaltending and timely goals. We're not like Chicago, who is only giving Crawford 2.5M and so they can have Kane, Sharp, Toews, Hossa, Keith, etc.

Sure. As Lu said his contract sucks and thats the risk that MG took signing a tender for 12 years.

Like I said my bigger concern are players like Garrison, Edler, Burrows, Kesler.

Funny but thats nearly 20 million tied up in those players alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad