Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
For all the bellyaching about the offense, the Canucks looked to me to match the Blackhawks in scoring chance quantity and quality alike. Crawford just managed to shut the door and was named first star for a reason.

The difference between winning and losing is paper-thin in a salary-capped league. It's not "blaming Luongo" to acknowledge that pretty much any miscue will have a large impact on a game, and it did tonight.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Who is even available via trade that will help us going forward? There are plenty of grinders I can think of but we have enough of those already.

Brad Boyes? Might be worth a shot, even if just for the benefit of the PP. Not expensive, former 40 goal scorer and has something to prove. Worst case scenario: he doesn't work out and we let him walk at the end of the season.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Just not a great team this year.

Looks that way. The team is still good, though not good enough to make serious noise in the ridiculously strong Western conference. Can't really lay too much blame on the players either, there's just not enough talent.

If Edler doesn't show some chemistry with a partner soon, you have to think Gillis will seriously entertain moving him. Looks to have plateaued as a player and at this point it's doubtful he takes that final step in his development - would move him for a good young centre like Schenn/Johansen.

Another game where Luongo wasn't bad but wasn't the best goalie on the ice.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
Those saying Burrows suck are doing nothing more than stat-scouring. He's been all over the puck, winning battles and getting into the dirty places on the ice. Just can't find the back of the net.

So he's playing like a good 3rd liner? Good thing we're not paying him for his scoring. :sarcasm:

At some point effort doesn't matter anymore. Getting 2-3 goals from Burrows could mean the difference between 3-4 points this season.

Instead he's provided David Booth like production at David Booth salary.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Luongo has a 2.07GAA 0.921SVP in the month of November, yet our goaltending "hasn't been good enough." That's funny. It really is.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think torts tactic of overplaying the top players is backfiring. I believe mental fatigue sets in and it really puts too much pressure on the top line to score.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Those saying Burrows suck are doing nothing more than stat-scouring. He's been all over the puck, winning battles and getting into the dirty places on the ice. Just can't find the back of the net.

Right. Our problem is that our team is structured around the expectation that he will score goals for us. If he's not going to score them, Booth is apparently a total write-off and Torts seems to be losing patience with Kassian, who does that leave? Not to mention that despite scoring tonight, Kesler seemed to handle the puck about as well as a drunken moose.

Burrows did make a nice pass right at the end to Daniel ... UGH WHY CANT WE HAVE NICE THINGS.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
This team just doesn't stack up with the good teams in this conference. It's that simple. Not even the least bit mad. It just is what it is.

No it's not. Hawks were hanging on by a thread in the last 10 minutes.

I don't believe that one faulty streak like this can sire the fate for the whole season. These pucks are going to go in.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
One thing's for sure, Hawks are a much better skating team from top to bottom. Canucks have taken a few steps back in the speed department the last few seasons.

thought the canucks speed was fine, 2nd period had some rough points but the hawks were on the defensive as much if not more than the canucks this game

if we're getting into individual players though, some slower d-men had rough nights...thinking of garrison and stanton, in particular garrison who was responsible for 3 prime scoring chances against in the 1st period alone

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
Burrows doesn't suck, he just can't catch a break. and the team looked kind of flat in the beginning of the third, it was a matter of time when the hawks were going to score.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
I'd compare Burrows' situation to earlier this season with Higgins. He was missing golden opportunities but eventually scored. I think Burrows can do the same.

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, are all good players in combination, but we have no one-man scoring threat who can snipe it on the go.

And this team needs to practice transitions out of the zone. It's god awful right now.

member 202355

So... The Hawks score more goals in 9 seconds than we do the entire game :help:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Stat scouting or not, 3 assists in 13 games is not good enough. When you're putting forth that kind of production, nobody cares about the moral victories. If he was a 4th liner, then sure, he's great! He's counted on for scoring though. No goals through 13 games deserves criticism.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Luongo has a 2.07GAA 0.921SVP in the month of November, yet our goaltending "hasn't been good enough." That's funny. It really is.

Is it fun just watching the boxscore and not the game?

I'll give you the first goal but the second one, the GWG, was a softy. You can put lipstick on a turd but it's still a turd.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
For all the bellyaching about the offense, the Canucks looked to me to match the Blackhawks in scoring chance quantity and quality alike. Crawford just managed to shut the door and was named first star for a reason.

The difference between winning and losing is paper-thin in a salary-capped league. It's not "blaming Luongo" to acknowledge that pretty much any miscue will have a large impact on a game, and it did tonight.

The Canucks offense is greatly outplayed a lot these days. If this was an isolated game where we only scored 1 goal then what you're saying may be true. But we've managed only 1 goal in a game NINE times this season. In 36% of our games this year we have scored 1 goal in a game. That simply isn't going to win you many hockey games no matter who is in net.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
For all the bellyaching about the offense, the Canucks looked to me to match the Blackhawks in scoring chance quantity and quality alike. Crawford just managed to shut the door.

None of that matters.
1 goal scored in 6 of 7 games isn't good enough.

John Bender*

Edler needs to be traded. He will fetch something good and he just is not getting it done here - for years.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Let's talk honestly tho, not being irrational because of tonight's loss.

Is this team good enough to make the playoffs? NO
Is this team good enough to win a round? NO
Is this team good enough to challenge for a cup? NO

We bicker and argue like little girls as to WHY we stink but let's not try to pin point 1 specific reason, it's a multitude of reasons. It just ....some teams have to be bad, some are good. We are just ....plain bad. Nobody is scared to play us like they used to be years ago. We are pushovers.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is it fun just watching the boxscore and not the game?

I'll give you the first goal but the second one, the GWG, was a softy. You can put lipstick on a turd but it's still a turd.

That post was purely for the boxscore fans.

I said the second goal was a softy. I don't think anyone will argue against it. Having said that, our offense is the reason we lost this game, not our goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad